Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Tumbling Dice (New)
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 19, 2015 20:09

Elmo Lewis
keefriff99
GasLightStreet
Naturalust
Maybe someone here can help me remember where that version of this song is that starts with just Chuck and the piano and everyone singing along and clapping jug band style then morphs into a full band version. Video from some rehearsal studio to begin with. Much thanks.

That B-side was fantastic. I really dug it. It was fast, too. The pre-show warm up edited on to the front...
That was on the Wild Horses CD single from Stripped. It also had Live With Me and the brilliant Paradiso version of Gimme Shelter:

"Gimme Shelter" ("Wild Horses" single) (live in Amsterdam on 26 May 1995)
"Tumbling Dice" ("Wild Horses" single) (live in Paris on 3 July 1995)
"Live with Me" ("Wild Horses" single) (live in London on 19 July 1995)

On the Stripped Companion boot as well as Rarities.
Ah, yes...forgot about the Rarities CD for Starbucks.

The Stripped Companion isn't an official release, is it?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 19, 2015 21:04

keefriff99

No, it isn't. But it's a great one :E

Date: November 19, 2015 21:20

with sssoul
keefriff99

No, it isn't. But it's a great one :E

Honest I Do got released on a soundtrack, though, but you probably know that smiling smiley

Date: November 19, 2015 21:21

keefriff99
Elmo Lewis
keefriff99
GasLightStreet
Naturalust
Maybe someone here can help me remember where that version of this song is that starts with just Chuck and the piano and everyone singing along and clapping jug band style then morphs into a full band version. Video from some rehearsal studio to begin with. Much thanks.

That B-side was fantastic. I really dug it. It was fast, too. The pre-show warm up edited on to the front...
That was on the Wild Horses CD single from Stripped. It also had Live With Me and the brilliant Paradiso version of Gimme Shelter:

Starbucks, it was a worldwide release?

Date: November 19, 2015 21:59

DandelionPowderman
keefriff99
Elmo Lewis
keefriff99
GasLightStreet
Naturalust

Starbucks, it was a worldwide release?
According to Wiki, it was a worldwide release through Virgin, but I seem to remember seeing it being especially hyped through Starbucks in America.

"...Starbucks was involved in the manufacturing, distribution and marketing of 'Rarities'..."

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 19, 2015 22:11

I got my copy at a record store.

Date: November 20, 2015 17:10

Weird that it's only ever been on one official live release of all the live albums pre-Google Music releases/Vault/etc releases. And that version on LOVE YOU LIVE is... pretty bad.

Date: November 20, 2015 17:40

GasLightStreet
Weird that it's only ever been on one official live release of all the live albums pre-Google Music releases/Vault/etc releases. And that version on LOVE YOU LIVE is... pretty bad.
Wow, that is actually a mindblowing fact.

No Flashpoint. No Live Licks. No Still Life.

Actually...it was on the double-disc version of Shine a Light. Dunno if that counts as an official live release as opposed to a soundtrack.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 20, 2015 17:47

keefriff99
GasLightStreet

Actually...it was on the double-disc version of Shine a Light. Dunno if that counts as an official live release as opposed to a soundtrack.

Kind of makes you think they don't particularly like how it sounds live either....

Date: November 20, 2015 18:31

keefriff99
GasLightStreet

Ohhhh. Yep. You're right! Well. OK then, it's on two live albums that are pre-Vault etc. I deleted it, the whole album, from my computer. That's how bad it is. I just found my copy of SHINE A LIGHT, I bought the double. It's not on the single album version.

That's funny.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 20, 2015 18:33

After the Brussels performance (1st, don't be obtuse) I wonder if the band knew that it just completed one of its greatest live performances...ever. Can they tell in the moment? Jagger has tremendous stage awareness and he encourages Taylor throughout, but he often did that. As for the Montreux performances, I contend that Taylor fumbles the first one on purpose to give the performance a "rehearsal" feel. During the second shot he knows exactly what he is doing and where he wants to go. On the recording Keith's intro is wonderful, sexy and delicious. It feels good.

Date: November 20, 2015 18:35

Turner68
keefriff99
GasLightStreet

Kind of makes you think they don't particularly like how it sounds live either....
As someone else has mentioned, my favorite part of Tumbling Dice post '89 is the circular horn riff that gets played during the outro. At it's best, it really sends the song into the stratosphere.

Versions from '89 and '94 were really great when Keith was just riffing relentlessly under the horns.

What I HATE about more recent versions (starting on the Licks tour I'm thinking) is that Keith, rather than simply play his riff, starts noodling off on a really ill-advised, tuneless solo that kills any momentum that the horns start building up.

Date: November 20, 2015 18:39

GasLightStreet
keefriff99
GasLightStreet

Ohhhh. Yep. You're right! Well. OK then, it's on two live albums that are pre-Vault etc. I deleted it, the whole album, from my computer. That's how bad it is. I just found my copy of SHINE A LIGHT, I bought the double. It's not on the single album version.

That's funny.
You deleted Shine a Light?

Sadly, I watched the film once (DVD via Netflix) about 6-7 years ago, and never had the urge to re-watch it or buy the live album...which is a really depressing realization for a Stones fan.

It wasn't BAD per se, but it was so by-the-numbers that it didn't generate the excitement that I expected it to. I mean, Scorsese + Stones...it's GOTTA be a classic, right?

Nope.

Date: November 20, 2015 18:50

keefriff99
GasLightStreet
keefriff99
GasLightStreet

That's funny.

Sadly, I watched the film once (DVD via Netflix) about 6-7 years ago, and never had the urge to re-watch it or buy the live album...which is a really depressing realization for a Stones fan.

It wasn't BAD per se, but it was so by-the-numbers that it didn't generate the excitement that I expected it to. I mean, Scorsese + Stones...it's GOTTA be a classic, right?

Nope.

Went to see "Shine a Light" it in the theaters, very excited, had a dinner before hand, it was a big production we put on with friends who weren't big Rolling Stones fans, but I had assured them it would be great.... Sigh. Such is the life of a Stones fan sometimes. I do feel the 50th anniversary shows redeemed them big time though.

Date: November 20, 2015 19:58

keefriff99
GasLightStreet
keefriff99
GasLightStreet

That's funny.

Nope.

Yep. Deleted the album from my computer and I've watched the movie, which I bought, once.

It was GREAT in the theatre, which I saw in St Petersburg, FLA on, I guess, iMax. I wasn't really sure. Seemed rather small to be iMax. Anyway, it was really good in the theatre.

I had high hopes for the album. And the video. Both were smashed. It's just really bad. Way over the top with Marty's whining and way under the bottom with Mick's awful "singing" and the band sounding tired and bland (She Was Hot is horrible, a song I dearly love). I've watched FOUR FLICKS and LIVE IN TEXAS a gazillion times (and have listened to disc 2 and LIVE IN TEXAS a lot as well). SHINE A LIGHT shall remain in the single digits for the album and movie.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 20, 2015 20:13

First time I ever heard Tumbling Dice was on LYL. Still a favorite version for me.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 18, 2016 07:43

LeonidP
keefriff99
GasLightStreet
Naturalust

That was on the Wild Horses CD single from Stripped.

As much as I love the beginning, that's the single most disappointing release the Stones ever had. It starts out like a fantastic soulful impromptu jam -- and instead of giving us the entire song with that beauty, that had to cut it off and insert the same-old same-old live version. Makes me want to scream! They never know when they have a great thing!

And now we have it, complete! Still going thru my Totally Stripped and can't believe they released This Tumbling Dice rehearsal like it should have been 20 years ago!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: June 18, 2016 14:41

That some of you do not like Shine A Light remains a mystery to me. It is one of their best live-albums/DVD´s ever. It´ s such an exciting performance captured beautifully in sound and picture.

Regarding Tumbling Dice I like the studio-version but meanwhile I´ve heard so many live versions that I am kind of fed up. I particularly dont like the CD-single-version with that awful sounding clap-along/sing-along-part before it really starts into one of the best versions they ever did. What a shame they butcherd it by using this weird "intro". LYL-version isnt bad but the Shine-A-Light-version must be the best available, I guess. It is so exciting and vital - just like everything else on Shine A Light.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 18, 2016 14:42

LeonidP
LeonidP
keefriff99
GasLightStreet
Naturalust

As much as I love the beginning, that's the single most disappointing release the Stones ever had. It starts out like a fantastic soulful impromptu jam -- and instead of giving us the entire song with that beauty, that had to cut it off and insert the same-old same-old live version. Makes me want to scream! They never know when they have a great thing!

And now we have it, complete! Still going thru my Totally Stripped and can't believe they released This Tumbling Dice rehearsal like it should have been 20 years ago!

[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: June 18, 2016 16:34

Deltics
LeonidP
LeonidP
keefriff99
GasLightStreet
Naturalust

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks! ... but can't view it in my country. No matter, I have the dvd.

Date: June 18, 2016 16:59

pmk251
After the Brussels performance (1st, don't be obtuse) I wonder if the band knew that it just completed one of its greatest live performances...ever. Can they tell in the moment? Jagger has tremendous stage awareness and he encourages Taylor throughout, but he often did that. As for the Montreux performances, I contend that Taylor fumbles the first one on purpose to give the performance a "rehearsal" feel. During the second shot he knows exactly what he is doing and where he wants to go. On the recording Keith's intro is wonderful, sexy and delicious. It feels good.

The consensus in the band is that there was too much noodling on "Brussels"

Date: June 18, 2016 17:03

HMS
That some of you do not like Shine A Light remains a mystery to me.

That's because you like garbage. And that is no mystery.

Date: June 18, 2016 17:06

HMS
I particularly dont like the CD-single-version with that awful sounding clap-along/sing-along-part before it really starts into one of the best versions they ever did. What a shame they butcherd it by using this weird "intro". LYL-version isnt bad but the Shine-A-Light-version must be the best available, I guess. It is so exciting and vital - just like everything else on Shine A Light.

How not bizarrely stunning. You don't like the excellent beginning of the B-side and you think SHINE A LIGHT is "exciting and vital".

Date: June 18, 2016 18:09

Turner68
pmk251

The consensus in the band is that there was too much noodling on "Brussels"

You made that up? Just wondering, I've never read that anywhere.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: June 18, 2016 18:24

Turner68
As close to perfection in straight-ahead rock-n-roll 45 rpm singles as they got.

Gimme Shelter, Satisfaction, and Paint it Black are all so unique and distinctive they stand apart.

But for just pure raw straight ahead rock-n-roll, Tumbling Dice might be the pinnacle.

They've never done it well live, and so sadly as a result for a lot of fans it isn't respected as much as it should be. But if you go back and listen to the studio track, it's perfect. The drumming, the vocals (esp the female vocals), the words, the riff... this is the rolling stones, rolling.

This entire post.
I've always believed this as well, and not sure how to explain it: THIS is the Stones in all thier sloppy, soulful glory.
Its my favorite single Stones song.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 18, 2016 19:09

stupidguy2
Turner68
As close to perfection in straight-ahead rock-n-roll 45 rpm singles as they got.

Gimme Shelter, Satisfaction, and Paint it Black are all so unique and distinctive they stand apart.

But for just pure raw straight ahead rock-n-roll, Tumbling Dice might be the pinnacle.

They've never done it well live, and so sadly as a result for a lot of fans it isn't respected as much as it should be. But if you go back and listen to the studio track, it's perfect. The drumming, the vocals (esp the female vocals), the words, the riff... this is the rolling stones, rolling.

Not sure it's my favorite single, but the studio version IS a classic!!

This entire post.
I've always believed this as well, and not sure how to explain it: THIS is the Stones in all thier sloppy, soulful glory.
Its my favorite single Stones song.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Re: Track Talk: Tumbling Dice
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: June 18, 2016 21:09

Another great thing about Tumbling Dice is that is one of those "different" Rolling Stones songs. Why is it different? Because it is not structured like a conventional rock and roll song, you have that delicious repeating coda for the last half of the song.

I love that about the Rolling Stones. For example, Paint it Black is another "different" Rolling Stones song. Bitch is a different song. One day I will make a list.

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: June 18, 2016 22:54

For me its the essential Stones song and I never tire of when I hear it (like I can do with Start me up, Satisfaction, Sympathy, Shelter)...captures keith and Mick at their best and the grove is unstoppable. LOVE the Texas 78 version, Hampton and Love you Live....97 St Louis was the last time they played it well...too fast now

Posted by: Sam4741 ()
Date: June 19, 2016 07:59

I really enjoy the Leeds '82 version. Keith's playing is sharp and Bobby & Gene Barge kill it on the outro.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 19, 2016 09:05

Like Rambler a song that worked even better live. On my top ten list. Started to become boring though arund 94/95. Like many of the other warhorses on constant repetition.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home