Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Track Talk: Time Waits For No One
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 2, 2015 06:35

This is surely a highlight of IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL with its its title song and "Fingerprint FIle" but I always have problems with each of them what to think of them. Are they masterpieces or is there something missing in them to rate them like that?

"Time Waits For No One" is a beautiful song indeed, and rather extraordinary piece in which Jagger talks about the theme that is more and more taboo as the years and decades go by. Actually, with "Fingerprint File", it is about the only song in the whole album Jagger seems to say something. Probably it is the deepest cut in IORR, and who knows, even the deepest cut he has ever written since then.

But I'm with many here that Jagger's vocal delivery is not one of his strongest. Actually it is a rather strong indication what is wrong with the whole album and its production. The focus or the power to control the outcome seem to be a bit lost. Mick sounds a bit artificial, too uptight in pieces - which doesn't mean that he doesn't sound good - he does. But not so good and natural he had just a record or two earlier done.

However, the real star of the track, and probably the musical highlight of the whole album, is Taylor. His Long Goodbyes for all the rest of us. His solo is pure magic, so vulnerable, so fragile, so hauntic beautiful and melodic, so Taylor... Not even the thin production cannot not the hide the musical poetry of it. "Play that guitar boy..." Yeah, he does, but it is not just him, but it is the certain intelligible sensibility him and Brian Jones had in common, that were forever gone when the track fadeaways... A kind of end of an era recording, and not only that of Taylor's.

"Time Waits For No One" is no any way a perfect recording, but what it is, is enough to make it one of the most memorable, unique pieces in Stones' recorded history. Would the Stones ever again sound so human, so vulnerable again? Even here they sound that they might not dare to do it. But they do it, anyhow.

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-02 06:51 by Doxa.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 2, 2015 06:54

re. the stones and vulnerability, i think they sound pretty vulnerable on "slipping away". but perhaps you were specifically talking about mick.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 2, 2015 06:56

Wow, I thought TWFNO was a done deal for best w/ RS fans. But I haven't been hanging around RS fans until here, really. Guess I assumed, since it has such an impact on myself. I've been listening to it again last few days since seeing this thread,
and every time it sends me into another zone. It's never a song in the background, but a rarity that requires rapt attention, preferably with no other people around.
And Mick's vocals, really? (not sarcastic, but surprised)
This is the musicians song, yes okay that's clear, and MT's playing, more spiritual than the deepest gospel song could ever take you, MJ respects that w/ the vocals, lets the guitars, Nicky piano, and CW drums do their highest form of talent. And yet the lyrics are potent, intelligent, wise. I love how MJ follows MT's guitar vocally w/ sounds briefly on the notes, then let's go (for good) and the long instrumental end portion, well, it's holy, painful, grim, stunningly beautiful all at the same time. MT guitar on this is simply amazing, every time in awe.

Date: October 2, 2015 07:08

Nicely put, 35love, I wholeheartidly agree.

But to make an analogy I sometimes love to do: if "Moonlight Mile" was Taylor's "Ruby Tuesday" - putting on the table Brian-like unique and idiosyncratic contribution to lead the Stones to the unknown zones - "Time Waits For No One" is Taylor's "No Expectations", a touching farewell song. Miss you guys!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-02 07:09 by Doxa.

Date: October 2, 2015 07:10

Turner68
re. the stones and vulnerability, i think they sound pretty vulnerable on "slipping away". but perhaps you were specifically talking about mick.

There is no Rolling Stones without Mick Jagger to make a proper musical statement.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-02 07:11 by Doxa.

Date: October 2, 2015 10:22

Doxa
Turner68

There is no Rolling Stones without Mick Jagger to make a proper musical statement.

- Doxa

confused smiley confused smiley confused smiley

Some of the songs with Keith on vocals are filling EXACTLY the void Mick can't fill, imo.

You Got The Silver
Coming Down Again
The bridge in Memory Motel
BTMMR
Slipping Away
How Can I Stop

If these aren't proper musical statements I'll eat my hat (which I don't have)...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 2, 2015 12:21

Doxa

But to make an analogy I sometimes love to do: if "Moonlight Mile" was Taylor's "Ruby Tuesday" - putting on the table Brian-like unique and idiosyncratic contribution to lead the Stones to the unknown zones - "Time Waits For No One" is Taylor's "No Expectations", a touching farewell song. Miss you guys!

- Doxa

Beautiful.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 2, 2015 13:04

Yes spot on Doxa. Very good observation.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 2, 2015 14:16

One of my all time fave Stones' songs. Was really hoping they would play this when Mick Taylor was on the scene.

Date: October 2, 2015 14:25

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Turner68

- Doxa

Some of the songs with Keith on vocals are filling EXACTLY the void Mick can't fill, imo.

You Got The Silver
Coming Down Again
BTMMR
Slipping Away
How Can I Stop

If these aren't proper musical statements I'll eat my hat (which I don't have)...

Great songs for sure, but mostly 'just' Keith's musical statements... Mick is nicely present in "Coming Down Again", "Memory Motel", "Before They Make Me Run" and "Slipping Away" to make them full-cylinder Stones songs. And even when he is not, he is not that far - he is coming along in behind the corner; Keith's cameos work in the context of Rolling Stones to make a certain difference to the 'standard' (if not anything else, in the context of concerts, a nice piss break for some folks...)

A good provo, huh? grinning smiley

More seriously, I need to admit that when I think of Stones songs, I seem to neglect/forget Keith 'solo' songs; they sound like making a story of their own, and you and Turner68 are surely right in offering Keith's songs as a kind of 'vulnerable' songs - actually that is his typical contribution especially in the latter day records.

- Doxa

Date: October 2, 2015 14:38

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Turner68

- Doxa

You Got The Silver
Coming Down Again
BTMMR
Slipping Away
How Can I Stop

Great songs for sure, but mostly 'just' Keith's musical statements... Mick is nicely present in "Coming Down Again", "Memory Motel", "Before They Make Me Run" and "Slipping Away" to make them full-cylinder Stones songs. And even when he is not, he is not that far - he is coming along in behind the corner; Keith's cameos work in the context of Rolling Stones to make a certain difference to the 'standard' (if not anything else, in the context of concerts, a nice piss break for some folks...)

More seriously, I need to admit that when I think of Stones songs, I seem to neglect/forget Keith 'solo' songs; they sound like making a story of their own, and you and Turner68 are surely right in offering Keith's songs as a kind of 'vulnerable' songs - actually that is his typical contribution especially in the latter day records.

- Doxa

You just ignored one of most important things: The lyrical contents!

I don't think Mick is «singing for everyone», either. smiling smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 2, 2015 17:10

You got the silver is a great choice Mr D but maybe it's more of a love song for Anita as well as a spooky very fitting down beat goodbye to them both from Brian Jones.

Date: February 20, 2017 14:05

NICOS
Mathijs
NICOS
Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Time Waits For No One
Jagger/Richards

Recorded: Musicland Studios, Munich January, April–May 1974

Mick Jagger: Lead Vocal
Mick Taylor: Lead Guitar, 12 String Acoustic Guitar & Percussion
Keith Richards: Rhythm Guitar & Backing Vocals
Bill Wyman: Bass & Synthesizer

Charlie Watts: Drums
Nicky Hopkins: Piano
Ray Cooper: Percussion

Just to note: it's Richards doing the turn-around solo's at the end of each verse. Credits should read:

Keith Richards: Lead & Rhythm Guitar, 12 string acoustic guitar & Backing Vocals
Mick Taylor: Lead & Rythm Guitar

Mathijs

Thanks I will change it......

That's against the spirit of Rene's Track Talk. TIOS and other sites credit Taylor on 12-string. This subject should be up for debate. drinking smiley

Date: February 20, 2017 15:22

Timeisonourside.com also has Taylor wrongly credited on the Hi-Fly guitar synth (Keith is playing that in the left speaker).

Keith has always been credited on that acoustic 12 string on several sites, but I'm not sure.

There is a «half-finished» phrase in there, which sounds like something Keith would do, while the rest of the acoustic playing sounds like Taylor.

Maybe they both played acoustic on it?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: February 20, 2017 15:24

This is a diamond.
One of Mick's best vocals, too, imo. Works in tandem with Taylor and keeps the perfect distance from the depth of the lyrics.
I heard it recently on the radio on a long drive and it just carried me along. Only time I've ever heard it played. So many of their songs -- including several on this album, including 'If you Really ...' and 'Next Goodbye' would have been played and played forever if they hadn't supposedly been out of character for the world's greatest rock and roll band.
The magic of this band in studio is that they can do Satisfaction as well as Lady Jane.

Date: February 20, 2017 15:32

DandelionPowderman
Timeisonourside.com also has Taylor wrongly credited on the Hi-Fly guitar synth (Keith is playing that in the left speaker).

Keith has always been credited on that acoustic 12 string on several sites, but I'm not sure.

There is a «half-finished» phrase in there, which sounds like something Keith would do, while the rest of the acoustic playing sounds like Taylor.

I's not about who is wrong or right and I don't know either who played the Tuba, but to change the spirit of a great thread because of one person's opinion is a bit odd, imo.

Date: February 20, 2017 15:38

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

I's not about who is wrong or right and I don't know either, but to change the spirit of a great thread because of one person's opinion is a bit odd, imo.

If there are obvious mistakes, they should be corrected, imo. However, who's playing the acoustic on TWFNO is not one of those, imo.

Many on here have contributed to develop and correct the sites we're quoting from, btw.

Date: February 20, 2017 15:47

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

I's not about who is wrong or right and I don't know either who played the Tuba, but to change the spirit of a great thread because of one person's opinion is a bit odd, imo.

If there are obvious mistakes, they should be corrected, imo. However, who's playing the acoustic on TWFNO is not one of those, imo.

Many on here have contributed to develop and correct the sites we're quoting from, btw.

I think you get my point.

Date: February 20, 2017 15:50

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

I think you get mine.

Date: February 20, 2017 15:54

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

I think you get mine.

No. The first post of this thread is never supposed to be edited. A matter of
integrity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-20 15:56 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: February 20, 2017 16:02

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

I think you get mine.

No. The first post of this thread is never supposed to be edited.

Come on! Both you and I have seen countless examples of mistakes in the Track Talks, where correction has been necessary. But I agree with you in that it takes more than one person to do that. There has to be a consensus about the need for correction.

For instance, a correction had to be made when Taylor wasn't listed on Sweet Black Angel (both here and on tioos.com). That is now corrected on both sites.

Date: February 20, 2017 16:13

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

I think you get mine.

No. The first post of this thread is never supposed to be edited.

Come on! Both you and I have seen countless examples of mistakes in the Track Talks, where correction has been necessary. But I agree with you in that it takes more than one person to do that. There has to be a consensus about the need for correction.

For instance, a correction had to be made when Taylor wasn't listed on Sweet Black Angel (both here and on tioos.com). That is now corrected on both sites.

The crux of this site is to debate about who played what, not to edit the initial post. To do that is the height of either ignorance, arrogance or pre justice, related to Mick Taylor in particular.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-20 16:29 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: February 20, 2017 16:28

Well, let's agree to disagree, then. If you had it your way, Taylor wouldn't have been credited on Sweet Black Angel.

The world moves on, we get more knowledge, remasters open up the soundscape, outtakes appear. Stuff like this will never remain static.

And pointing out obvious mistakes is not ignorance nor arrogance. In fact, it's the opposite. Trying to mend incorrect info is a sympathetic action. It's not a pissing contest.

+ Rene and NICOS have gotten their info from different sources (sometimes even on one track), which sometimes are spot on, sometimes not.

Date: February 20, 2017 16:38

DandelionPowderman
Well, let's agree to disagree, then. If you had it your way, Taylor wouldn't have been credited on Sweet Black Angel.

The world moves on, we get more knowledge, remasters open up the soundscape, outtakes appear. Stuff like this will never remain static.

And pointing out obvious mistakes is not ignorance nor arrogance. In fact, it's the opposite. Trying to mend incorrect info is a sympathetic action. It's not a pissing contest.

+ Rene and NICOS have gotten their info from different sources (sometimes even on one track), which sometimes are spot on, sometimes not.

Our posts crossed. The first (initial post) should not be edited.That's the crux of this topic.

There is no way to justify otherwise.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-20 16:49 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: February 20, 2017 16:47

Remember that all the track talks start like this:

«Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!»

Date: February 20, 2017 17:01

DandelionPowderman

I do, and as far as I remember track talk the initial posts have never been edited like this before. It's not done. Now let's stop making fools out of ourselves, no one gives a hoot anyway. smiling smiley

Date: February 20, 2017 17:02

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

I do, and as far as I remember track talk the initial posts have never been edited like this before. It's not done. Now let's stop making fools out of ourselves, no one gives a hoot anyway. smiling smiley

smileys with beer

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 20, 2017 17:24

IORR may not equal the sum of it's parts, but some of the parts are amazing...of which I include TWFNO.

For me it's easily better than anything on GHS and one example of why I think the album as a whole is wholly underappreciated.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: February 20, 2017 18:30

Probably in my top 10 favorite Stones songs and #1 song I would love to see them do live. (Pretty sure it's never been done?).

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 21, 2017 15:10

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Turner68

- Doxa

You Got The Silver
Coming Down Again
BTMMR
Slipping Away
How Can I Stop

- Doxa

So... in that aspect, Sway, Stop Breaking Down, Moonlight Mile, I'm Not Signifying, Saint Of Me and whatever other Keith-less songs aren't... Stones songs or "proper musical statement"s?

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2177
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home