Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Can we Make it Fun Again
Posted by: howlingmad ()
Date: September 22, 2015 05:13

Turner68
I was excited to follow along with Stones fans before and after they played. I thought they played awesome at the Superbowl compared to my expectations - certainly not as well as on Steel Wheels, but way better than I expected. I was proud of the guys.

Then I read what IORR had to say about the performance. It was so depressing! It made me reconsider my own enjoyment of the show, until I just shut it off and forgot about it and enjoyed the Stones on my own.

I used to joke that if you ever want to read something negative about the Stones, don't turn to the media or critics but to the fan sites. LOL

And it's the same with just about every band, tv series, movie franchise, etc out there. My own (very general) theory is that a lot of people who sit online every day writing about a celebrity or particular subject tend to go one of two ways: Either they become such a fanboy it's hard to take their enthusiasm seriously or they get burned out and begin to resent the very thing they're supposed to love. And of course the former group invariably irritates the latter group and prods them on even more. LOL

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 22, 2015 05:21

howlingmad
Turner68
I was excited to follow along with Stones fans before and after they played. I thought they played awesome at the Superbowl compared to my expectations - certainly not as well as on Steel Wheels, but way better than I expected. I was proud of the guys.

Then I read what IORR had to say about the performance. It was so depressing! It made me reconsider my own enjoyment of the show, until I just shut it off and forgot about it and enjoyed the Stones on my own.

I used to joke that if you ever want to read something negative about the Stones, don't turn to the media or critics but to the fan sites. LOL

And it's the same with just about every band, tv series, movie franchise, etc out there. My own (very general) theory is that a lot of people who sit online every day writing about a celebrity or particular subject tend to go one of two ways: Either they become such a fanboy it's hard to take their enthusiasm seriously or they get burned out and begin to resent the very thing they're supposed to love. And of course the former group invariably irritates the latter group and prods them on even more. LOL

Wise words.

I have a lot of professional experience with fan-boys and -girls in the worlds of comic books and Japanese anime/manga. There are no tougher critics than these people nor more slavish devotees. It's the same in any subculture or pop culture niche.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 22, 2015 06:24

some nights I wish it were more fun...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 22, 2015 06:50

Kahoosier, many thanks for a great post.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 22, 2015 08:13

Kahoosier thanks for having the courage to speak your mind. Several posters do
seem to behave like bullies. When They have come after me I have thought of
Returning with a similar response. However, it's true I have no idea what challenges this poster may have in their real life. This could be
anything from a loss of a family member to health issues or addiction issues.
I have suspected the latter in at least one case. Not sure if this is always the right policy as bulieing is allowed to continue only when the bystanders look the other way. It takes courage to intervein or speak up when someone else is bullied
or mistreated.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 22, 2015 10:41

I like fun. Fun is good! smileys with beer

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: September 22, 2015 11:05

Today I saw my therapist, and all my Problems are caused by the fact that I saw a great concert WITHOUT Mick Taylor on a tour AFTER 1976 (Munich 1982).

As impressive as my first concert (Stuttgart 1976) was, musically it was not that good, so the Munich concert was the highlight, with Songs like Time is on my side, LEt it bleed, and still the fresh ones from Some Girls..

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 22, 2015 11:40

Internet is a zoo. It is made up by anyone, there are no limits. We have the half empty glass and also the half full glass people here. The smiling ones and the grumpy ones.

When I tell people I was lucky to get into the Belly Up show, and told about it here, I get dozens of hate mail and people accuse me of corruption, call me stalin, @#$%&, kim and so on, no wonder I don't share great news all the time in public. So many jealous people with an unbalanced mind around.

I am a polite person. I would not call Donald Trump an idiot. He made a fortune, so he is not an idiot, but certainly he has got no manners. The way he treat women and mexican people is not according to my standards, I think you should treat every person on earth with respect.

There are many Donald Trump around, also here. The problem is just the fact that they did not even make any money, so they go around and are grumpy because they are poor and they did not make success and they have a half empty glass of beer and there are no new stones album out this year and they will not play live in London next week and not even NYC and life is a disaster.

Grumpy and introverted people is a threat to the big smiles. And mind you we get more grumpy as we get older. Someone posted on these boards that I was an idiot and I pushed people away at the shows and I was a rude person at shows (I never pushed anyone). Then later on the same person asked me for inside info about the tours. Many people have a great space for their own needs but not so much empathy or respect for others.

I think Internet is a zoo, a real zoo, but there are places wher there are less crazy things happening than others. It could have been worse here, it could have been better. It is what we make ourselves.

Personally I have a life outside IORR. When I come back from the tours I retract into my private life and don't say much. I need that distance. Then of course I know my private life will end during the second half of January 2016. Meanwhile I try not to get to worried about the zoo, still try to make sure the trolls don't do too much harm.

I am going through some exiting seven days to come now. Next week I might tell, but right now it's not a public thing. Everyone I have close to me do know exactly what I am up to, but I suppose that is the difference between the real life and IORR - what you share and what you keep private.

Fun? Sure we can have lots of fun here. Enjoy!

Bjornulf

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 22, 2015 12:08

I just love reading posts with good and accurate perspective. Certainly there are a multitude of personality/characters that are Stones Fans. Sometimes I wonder how certain ones fit in but I guess they do. Mean to say I Always thought music fans kind of went in the same direction on subjects like politics, religion and basic being (good or bad). Anyhow, everyday I look forward to reading what's going on right on IORR. Cheers.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 22, 2015 13:54

yeah sure make it fun, i'm all for that, but its hard with some of the negative posters on here
They turn good into bad at every turn of the page
Pisses me off big time

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 22, 2015 14:10

The problem with social media is the fact that communication can be easily misinterpreted and received personally offensive whereas that is not the intent of the writer.

This is the greatest forum in the history of mankind. I recommend everyone to read aloud their verbiage before posting. I am not giving advice; I'm simply contributing my thoughts to this thread.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 22, 2015 15:09

Make it Fun ?

I was going to make it boring... by posting a postmortem of all the existing New Barbarians tapes shared here : [www.iorr.org]

Or by analysing the different versions of 1975 outtakes "Man Eating Woman" and "English Rose" and coming to the conclusion none of them run at the right speed.

IORR as a fun machine? grinning smiley
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-22 15:21 by dcba.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 22, 2015 15:19

That sort of thing is only boring if you're not interested - and if the people who are interested aren't here, I don't know where the hell they would be.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 22, 2015 15:42

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, just the last few,but it is great fun being a Rolling Stones fan, and being on IORR.
I don't take life too seriously ,or write or like to read stuff that will start nasty arguments .
Life is for living, and for those of us who are lucky enough to do most things we love to do, it is great.
I can't do all I would like to, but I am happy enough. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 22, 2015 15:51

DandelionPowderman
It might be that the Internet culture was different back then, though. People didn't check in every hour, not even on a daily basis. Now, everything goes quicker, and we spit out more or less thought out words about a topic.

Right, and also more idiots have access too. smoking smiley

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 22, 2015 16:22

I hope so, Kahoosier.
I hope so.

It seems as if I can no longer just love The Rolling Stones.
I have to choose between camps or else suffer the consequences of bash.

Mick T or Ronnie?
Billy or Chuck?
Bill or Darryl?
Brian or The Glimmers?
This site or That one?
And now, the line in the sand...
Mick or Keith?

FuckAllYall.

I love The Rolling Stones.
I don't love the internet.

Until I find things like this:
Janet Macoska Photography and Michael Hutchence

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 22, 2015 16:26

O boy o boy Kahoosier, you've REALLY done it now !!

Fun you desire ? Fun you wish for ? O really now, please do grow up. You obviously haven't got the hang of this 'being a Rolling stones fan' business at all, have you ?

Look, life is short and I will probably die sometime in the next 30 years, so I will have to keep this short. Here is a concise version of my 'handy hints for a being a Rolling Stones fan in the year 2015' ..... I've manage to knock it down to two key points:

A: If you subscribe to a message board on a Rolling Stones fan site, do not under any circumstances write anything that could be construed as criticism of the band as a whole, or any of its members individually. If you do this, you will find yourself in a great deal of trouble. Examples of statements that could end up with you incurring the wrath of the entire Rolling Stones fan community are:

Keith obviously has a bunion on the metatarsalphalangeal joint of his left foot; this is why he periodically kicks his left foot (indeed his whole left leg) outwards periodically. This is an outrage. It is clearly a misplaced and entirely inappropriate attempt at some sort of short term pain relief. I demand all the money back for every Rolling Stones concert I have ever bought tickets for and attended over the last 68 years. A musician should recognise that an expensive viewing spectacle (i.e. a 'concert') should be exactly that, not a public arena for ridding oneself of 'maladies of the foot' !!

B: Do not under any circumstances whatsoever 'share' information, no matter what it is. Secrecy is everything. What ? You wish to share your appreciation - obsession even - with the Rolling Stones with fellow like-minded people ? Don't be absurd. Are you mad ? Are you ill ? No no no, all information you become privy to is to be kept solely unto yourself. You cant be putting this sort of stuff into the public domain. And especially when it comes to 'concert time'. After all, what on earth would be the point of telling someone else that everyone's favourite band is playing on such & such a date in such & such a venue and tickets are available at such & such a website ? There would be NO point whatsoever. You would risk the possibility of someone else knowing what YOU know, and of (heaven forbid) turning up to the event in question and entirely ruining your viewing and listening experience. It needs to be understood - does it not - that the Rolling Stones do not perform these days for the benefit of an audience of tens or hundreds or thousands, tens of thousands even. They do so for YOUR benefit exclusively ! So, sssh ... you tell no-one anything. Got that ? Good !

Have a good day Doc, and don't go stirring the s**t by trying to inject fun and humour onto a Stones fan site message board. You have NO idea how close to the wind you're sailing by so doing. I fear for you, the knives - I suspect - are already drawn !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-22 19:09 by paulywaul.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: September 22, 2015 16:54

kahoosier
I just posted this on a thread about U2. Now it might be self indulgent , but afterwards I did think maybe it should be a thread of it's own.

Well Lem, earlier someone said that U2 had not put out anything worthwhile in eons. Of course when you read it here, the last decent Stones album was Tatto You, a combination of songs all older than 35 years . Springsteen sucks, Dylan is over rated, Patti smith is pretentious and self indulgent, the Dead are boring, the Beatles an overblown myth, and on and on. We have apparently become a group of curmudgeons idolizing a man that feels there was nothing before Lead Belly and very little after Exile ( to which he often refers as the gold standard for anything he is involved in) that is worth listening to or has any value.

Furthermore, views any different are expressed by various buffoons, illiterates, trouble makers, and deaf blind bastards. We don't like the moderator of the board, or anyone who doesn't follow his rules. We recognize that Europe is full of snobs, the USA is a plastic country full of rednecks, anywhere else is a cultural wasteland. We know there has not been a decent Stones show without Mick Taylor, who after all was the driving force behind the creation of the only Stones material worth listening to, but was ripped off , marginalized , and nearly drugged to death by the Glimmer Twins before he sensibly ran to establish the transcendence of his own creative muse. Ron Wood is just a lucky bit player.

Politics should NOT be discussed unless your view matches mine by the way.

I have been here over 11 years, and maybe I have changed, or this board has. It really used to be a fun place to visit every day. I still do, but it is a lot less fun anymore. It used to be a place to come and glean valuable information, enjoy open minded discussions and even chat on the threads with good friends. Now days it seems like a group of people pushing their own agendas, who have decided what the legacy of the Stones, Hell of Rock and Roll should be based on some sort prestige and bragging rights determined by the number of secret inside information sources you have but cannot confirm or reveal.

SO CAN WE PLEASE MAKE THIS PLACE FUN AGAIN? smileys with beer

I give this post Two Thumbs Up! Way Up!!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 22, 2015 17:03

Like sex, you miss it when it is gone.

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: September 22, 2015 17:09

Agreed.

I come here for the tour and record release rumors primarily and it is a fantastic resource. As for reviews and impressions of tours and albums I tend to keep my own council. Love to read other people's opinions but at the end of the day, I will disagree as much as agree so don't bother and just go out and enjoy what the Stones have to offer on whatever level makes sense for me at the time.

Indeed it is only rock and roll....

Cheers!

Date: September 22, 2015 17:13

Not everything was better before, though. The criticism has improved somewhat, even though it might not feel that way. This is a typical 2005 post grinning smiley

Date: September 22, 2015 17:18

You don't go on holiday to Syria. You don't make jokes about Mick or Keith. May be Ronnie. But certainly not about Mick Taylor. Better sit still in the boat...

Bjornulf

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 22, 2015 18:01

Ha-ha, I like Paulywaul's post. I'm a big fan of sarcasm. Very articulated too. Good one man.winking smiley And funny thought BV, yesterday I said something similar about the Syria situation.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 22, 2015 18:02

DandelionPowderman
Not everything was better before, though. The criticism has improved somewhat, even though it might not feel that way. This is a typical 2005 post grinning smiley

Well you happened to pick a couple of posters who are...ahem...no longer with us. Attrition has obviously changed the nature of the posting here...lol grinning smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 22, 2015 18:32

paulywayl, You Da Man . BEST POST OF THE DAY !!!!!!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 22, 2015 19:27

Bjornulf you are a true gentelman and so polite . Whenever we bump into each other at a Stones concert like first night at the Beacon , the Newark Pay per view show , at the Marcus in Milwaukee you are always able to excahnge greetings with you and have a little time to chat .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-22 19:31 by TheGreek.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 22, 2015 20:49

DandelionPowderman

Kleermaker has really upped his game since the name change! ;-)

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 22, 2015 20:58

i dont think it's really that bad-there has always been a sarcastic, bitter side to the stones that was a little dirtier and more off putting than the other bands from that era.

when i first started listening to the stones they seemed..well,like a bunch of pricks to be honest with you.they had an attitude that was just aloof and arrogant.when they were interviewed they nearly blew cigarette smoke in the guys face,wore sunglasses to avoid eye contact and gave short answers or just "i don't know".

i always liked them but they didnt seem like anyone you'd want to spend any time around-fast forward to the modern era and you have these smiling warm and fuzzy stones who half the fans seem to think are their imaginary buddy.

i like the attitude here and a little back and forth it keeps it from getting boring.leave the peace and love to ringo,or as keith once said to ronnie"shut up ronnie,we dont wanna be happy right now".

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 22, 2015 21:18

i think that's right Lem. i'm surprised in some ways at how politically correct a stones forum is.
i also think that stones fans have some PTSD. i truly think the band has exploited their fans mightily over the years, particularly the last 20, and this has created a certain energy.

Date: September 22, 2015 22:39

We have to be political correct here because we are fans and people from 200+ countries of all religions, politics, opinions and ages. We are two million people visiting IORR every year, more than the population in a big city.

So we can't make jokes about the Pope or Christ or Islam or Obama or refugees from Syria or many things that a more narrow group like friends could easily make jokes about.

It is hard, I know. Like I wanted to make jokes about this new guy who is running for president in the USA but I am sure many many love him so I can't really say that Donald Trump is a funny guy, but at least his first name is funny. See what I mean, I probably offended half of the USA population right now. Fun to some, offending to others. I am sure Donald Trump is a great guy. He just got a big mouth. He would be banned soon if he posted on IORR, I am sure, because he say things that upset some people. That is what it is all about.

Mick said (at Wembley Stadium long time ago): "This is something you will never be"... Then they started to play "Respectable". See what I mean? It is tough to make everyone happy at all times!

Bjornulf

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1548
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home