Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Can we Make it Fun Again
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 29, 2015 03:56

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 29, 2015 23:47

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 4, 2015 00:18

DandelionPowderman
There were bashing here in the 90s as well, and Ronnie (and Keith sometimes) was the one who got the most of it.

But the tone was different, and the discussions didn't last for days or weeks, like today. It might be that the Internet culture was different back then, though. People didn't check in every hour, not even on a daily basis. Now, everything goes quicker, and we spit out more or less thought out words about a topic.

I'm probably guilty here, of not letting unimportant stuff just pass, instead of commenting on it all the time.

I'll behave. It's Only Rock and roll, that's my new motto. Oh wait, that's taken... smoking smiley

You have to admit it's hilarious that the DIRTY WORK thread is up to 4 pages!!!

Date: October 4, 2015 00:41

howlingmad
Turner68
I was excited to follow along with Stones fans before and after they played. I thought they played awesome at the Superbowl compared to my expectations - certainly not as well as on Steel Wheels, but way better than I expected. I was proud of the guys.

Then I read what IORR had to say about the performance. It was so depressing! It made me reconsider my own enjoyment of the show, until I just shut it off and forgot about it and enjoyed the Stones on my own.

I used to joke that if you ever want to read something negative about the Stones, don't turn to the media or critics but to the fan sites. LOL

And it's the same with just about every band, tv series, movie franchise, etc out there. My own (very general) theory is that a lot of people who sit online every day writing about a celebrity or particular subject tend to go one of two ways: Either they become such a fanboy it's hard to take their enthusiasm seriously or they get burned out and begin to resent the very thing they're supposed to love. And of course the former group invariably irritates the latter group and prods them on even more. LOL

That's a good point, the two ways. Funny, too. There's a fan board I'm part of about an English band and I've stated that one of their albums is their worst. As a fan of the band how could one not be critical? I'm not one of those people that buys everything they do (as a great example, I love the Stones, okay, fine whatever - I'm not buying their shitty wine!). I bought the album, I listened to it, I generally liked it at the time, I saw the tour, I bought the live video... but it hasn't aged well so there you go. And they only play one song from the album these days.

An opinion is not a fact, yes, but it can be supported/negated by facts and when a band essentially ignores an album, well, then the opinion that something sucks is well supported to being a fact now isn't it.

That it's clearly accepted by the band that they will ignore album A and B or whatever because for whatever reason -

1. the albums didn't sell well so they suck
2. they played almost the whole album on its tour and they hate it now or... 3. it's realistically not good
4. 1 and 3 have combined to be the obvious truth/fact therefor invalidating opinions that say otherwise.

So does that mean one is wrong for liking something that sucks? HA HA! Probably not. Does it make one question their tastes? Maybe. The Stones let their fans know they at least acknowledged UNDERCOVER by playing Undercover Of The Night on the 1989-90 tours... and a few times since then. And then Keith with Wanna Hold You on the BABYLON tour.

And then finally played She Was Hot.

They've done how many from DIRTY WORK? One made the entire 89-90 tours... one made a hand full of shows but never came off worth a damn (yet alone most of the crowd probably had no idea what One Hit (To The Body) even was).

That's it. Never again has anything been performed from DW as far as I'm aware.

That's hilarious. And it's obvious why.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: October 4, 2015 01:20

Hey GasLightStreet, I enjoy your question:

So does that mean one is wrong for liking something that sucks?

Going way off topic and tossing ant sense of propriety to the wind, as an aging single man once quite randy in his youth, I have to ask how "it/he/she sucks" has developed such a bad reputation?

OK back to the Stones people, sorry for the trasnsgression...

smoking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 4, 2015 03:15

Life'd be more fun if ya got randier and randier as ya got older.....HHaHaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 4, 2015 03:54

When you have FUN in NY ... is it FUNNY ?

Date: October 4, 2015 03:55

When you have FUN in Kentucky... is it FUNKY ?

Date: October 4, 2015 04:15

When your pal Gus has fun... is it fungus ?

Date: October 4, 2015 04:43

When you do something fun over again ... refund

Date: October 5, 2015 02:25

kahoosier
Hey GasLightStreet, I enjoy your question:

So does that mean one is wrong for liking something that sucks?

Going way off topic and tossing ant sense of propriety to the wind, as an aging single man once quite randy in his youth, I have to ask how "it/he/she sucks" has developed such a bad reputation?

OK back to the Stones people, sorry for the trasnsgression...

smoking smiley

Ha ha. Fun with gas.

About your question, the only logical answer is yes - when its title is DIRTY WORK.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 814
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home