Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5354555657585960616263...LastNext
Current Page: 58 of 147
Re: Keep: New Stones album is "in the can"
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 5, 2016 05:56

treaclefingers
Hairball
treaclefingers
Hairball
BamaStone
StonesNYc, I beg to differ with you, I Think Keith's latest Album was GREAT! A lot of variety on there....

Yes it IS great.
The best Stones related (band or solo) album in 35+years imo.
The main concern is Mick's already recorded demo's which he brought to the table. Hopefully they are up to snuff or the new record might already be doomed.

Trying to stay positive against the odds!

hyperbole much?

I thought by writing imo it would be clear that this was JUST MY OPINION.
Not saying you have to agree (which obviously you don't), but personally I stand by exactly what I wrote.
Crosseyed Heart is a masterpiece!

hey man...I was just asking a question!

Haha sorry, didn't intend to sound like an ass...was just trying to emphasize that was only my opinion and something I stand by. thumbs up

Re: New Rolling Stones studio album due out in 2016
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 5, 2016 06:09

Rolling Stones plan to release new album this year

By CHRIS LEHOURITES Apr. 4, 2016

Joel Ryan/Invision/AP

LONDON (AP) — The Rolling Stones are planning to release a new album, possibly this year, guitarist Ronnie Wood said Monday.

The British rockers last released a studio album in 2005, but Wood said they have been in the studio and recorded some new material and some blues covers.

"We went in to cut some new songs, which we did," the 68-year-old Wood said. "But we got on a blues streak. We cut 11 blues in two days.

"They are extremely great cover versions of Howlin' Wolf and Little Walter, among other blues people. But they really sound authentic."

When asked when the new material would be released, Wood said only: "This year."

"When we heard them back after not hearing them for a couple of months, we were, 'Who's that? It's you,'" Wood said. "It sounded so authentic."

The Rolling Stones, which started as a blues band in 1962, just wrapped a tour of Latin America with a free show in Cuba on March 25. The band then headed to London for Monday's opening of "Exhibitionism," a vast exhibition of the group's history at the Saatchi Gallery.

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Wood arrived together at the gallery, but Richards wouldn't go into any detail on the recent recording sessions.

"There's one coming," the 72-year-old guitarist said of a new album. "I can't say no more. My lips are sealed."

The Stones have released 22 studio albums in Britain and 24 in the United States. "A Bigger Bang" was the last, and the band toured the album in 2005, '06 and '07.

They resumed touring in 2012 to mark the band's 50th anniversary, but have only released a couple of new songs since then.

"We're a working band," Wood said. "We'll be working again before the end of the year."

[bigstory.ap.org]

Date: April 5, 2016 06:50

Thanks for that bye bye johnny - a blues saturated Stones album would be nice!
Wouldn't say much about their creativity, but at this point it doesn't matter.
Their creativity in the studio the last 35+ years leaves alot to be desired anyways IMO.

Maybe Mick kept most (or all) of his demos for himself to be released as a solo album? If so, good...probably best that way.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 5, 2016 07:07

Double album? One of blues covers, one of new material. Keep the tracks/styles separate so you can play what you want when you want without one style "infecting" the other. And that's just a word I use to identify the different albums. I know and appreciate The Stones ARE a blues based band, of sorts, and that ALL their music is infused, however discreetly, with the blues! But I'd like to be able to play their "new" blues album, AND when the mood strikes me, THEIR new album, without skipping tracks on either!

Rod

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 5, 2016 07:17

I would love to hear them do some blues at this point. And they can use guest guitarists too. Back of My Hand was great on ABB.

New Album
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 4, 2016 15:51

Holy cow, Keith says new album is done! Can't post link but article quotes Keith as saying it's done. Will a tour feature the new music? Will people react positively? This will be a very telling chain of events as The Stones are brave to compete with their legacy.

Re: New Album
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 4, 2016 15:59

[www.iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 4, 2016 16:01

The news broke on April 1st and nobody believed it.

Date: April 4, 2016 16:25

Green Lady
The news broke on April 1st and nobody believed it.

I did, as this piece of news was buried down in the article. Not the way I would have published an April fool's joke smoking smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 4, 2016 16:29

Yes they had might as well have been able to write about that a brand new Beatles album recorded between Revolver and Sgt. Pepper has been found and will be given out in honor of John, George, and George Martin.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 4, 2016 16:41

Awww shucks..

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: April 4, 2016 17:07

Come On
Yes they had might as well have been able to write about that a brand new Beatles album recorded between Revolver and Sgt. Pepper has been found and will be given out in honor of John, George, and George Martin.

Stupid comment

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: April 4, 2016 17:53

I think this is most likely "Keith speak" to say a new record is "in the can"

They probably recorded a bunch of tracks, some finished, but most needing a lot of polishing up.

I believe Jagger said they are to record more in the late spring. I'd say it's also likely that Jagger showed up with a ton of demos that the Stones are putting their touch on...Thus, the tracks recorded are more likely to sound like a Jagger solo record than a true Stones collaboration. I could be wrong, but if I were a betting man that's where my money would be.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 4, 2016 17:58

I honestly do not care who writes the songs as long as they are good songs. smiling smiley

Date: April 4, 2016 18:01

James Kirk

They probably recorded a bunch of tracks, some finished, but most needing a lot of polishing up.

I believe Jagger said they are to record more in the late spring. I'd say it's also likely that Jagger showed up with a ton of demos that the Stones are putting their touch on...Thus, the tracks recorded are more likely to sound like a Jagger solo record than a true Stones collaboration. I could be wrong, but if I were a betting man that's where my money would be.

Mick was quoted as saying he has a bunch of recorded demos back in October (?), so I'd say you are probably right, but I hope you are wrong!

Date: April 4, 2016 18:11

RockinJive
Come On

Stupid comment

Even stupider reply.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 4, 2016 18:48

James Kirk

Was it not rumoured, reported here on IORR, that in its time Mick wanted to do more studio work on the recorded material that was to constitute A BIGGER BANG, whereas allegedly Keith and Don Was appreciated what they saw as a positive raw edge about that album? And the reported rumour went on to state that the latter point of view won through. A possible fact many posters paradoxially have blamed Mick for.

One question could be if Keith now wants history to repeat itself. Another, if Mick thinks otherwise, but may be confronted with a more or less closed matter.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 4, 2016 18:51

I'm sticking by the assessment that I made in the other thread:

To translate what Keith is quoted as having said:

We laid down a bunch of tracks of us playing along with Mick's demos and jamming riffs just for fun and even though we were prepared to do more recording after the tour, Mick and Don Was told us that they have enough samples to be able to put the album together using E-mail & ProTools. Right now we're using the working title of "An Even Bigger Bang Than The Biggest Bang You Can Think Of" but I'm sure they'll surprise me with something even better than that when it finally goes to market.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: April 4, 2016 19:31

Witness
Was it not rumoured, reported here on IORR, that in its time Mick wanted to do more studio work on the recorded material that was to constitute A BIGGER BANG, whereas allegedly Keith and Don Was appreciated what they saw as a positive raw edge about that album? And the reported rumour went on to state that the latter point of view won through. A possible fact many posters paradoxially have blamed Mick for.

I think A Bigger Bang sounds fine, but there just aren't any songs on it I'd care to listen to, and I don't think more polishing would have improved them. Maybe the band hanging around the studio for a couple of months and bouncing ideas around would have generated some good stuff, but I doubt that is the kind of "more work" Mick was thinking of. They don't work that way anymore, alas.

Date: April 4, 2016 19:51

blivet
Witness

I think A Bigger Bang sounds fine, but there just aren't any songs on it I'd care to listen to, and I don't think more polishing would have improved them. Maybe the band hanging around the studio for a couple of months and bouncing ideas around would have generated some good stuff, but I doubt that is the kind of "more work" Mick was thinking of. They don't work that way anymore, alas.

If the rumour is correct, what are we then to understand that Mick wanted, apparently in contrast to Keith and Don Was?

You state that there are no songs that you would care to listen to. To me there are. Maybe to a not too small minority of posters on this site as well. Improved versions, so much more.

As only a beginning indication of what might have been gained, could be the contrast between the studio version of "Streets of Love" and the live version from Rome.

"Sweet NeoCon" is also to me a song that sounds unfinished, if promising (where I know almost none agree about that last verdict on the song). But maybe at least a few might have thought otherwise about a modified version.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 4, 2016 20:01

"Only Mick still thinks you have to take things into "real" recording studios to really make a real record. He got proved totally wrong on our latest - at the time of writing - album, A Bigger Bang, especially, because we did it all in his little château in France. We had got the stuff worked up, and he said, Now we'll take it into a real recording studio. And Don Was and I looked at each other, and Charlie looked at me... @#$%& this shit. We've already got it down right here. Why do you want to spring for all that bread? So you can say it was cut in so-and-so studio, the glass wall and the control room? We ain't going nowhere, pal. So finally he relented"
KR, 2010

"There's some good stuff on ABB, but I don't know... There's something about the way it holds together, for me. I don't know if we got the tracks in the right order or something like that. Sometimes, it can make the difference on a record, the way it flows. But I enjoyed making it very much"
KR, 2015

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 4, 2016 20:20

In 1999 and (mainly) 2000, Mick put together GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY working principally with Matt Clifford, but also the likes of Dave Stewart, Bryan Adams, Rob Thomas, and Rich Robinson. In 2001, Mick then took these demos cut at The Fork (credited to Clifford/Jagger as co-producers or pre-production) and worked them up at Ocean Way in Los Angeles and Metropolis in London with Marti Frederiksen and Chris Potter, respectively. He also collaborated with Lenny Kravitz in Miami and with both Wyclef Jean and Danny Saber at separate sessions in New York. The track(s) with Dave Stewart sat on the shelf for a few years and the Bryan Adams collaboration (like the putative collaboration with Macy Grey, Fatboy Slim, and Rodney Jerkins) was dropped. Pete Townsend came aboard and Joe Perry replaced Rich Robinson's parts. We ended up with a somewhat more polished version of the same. Compare those tracks to the ones that are purely Clifford/Jagger and you'll see what I mean. That's what Mick was suggesting they do with A BIGGER BANG. It still means just some quick overdubs. Look at the timetable in 2005, they didn't have much breathing space to do more work before the tour.

Post-GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY, you'll notice the Matt Clifford pre-production credits on three tracks on FORTY LICKS, two on A BIGGER BANG, as well as "Doom and Gloom." Matt likewise was involved in reworking some of the outtakes for EXILE and SOME GIRLS. This is Mick's current working method. Very professional-sounding demos (nearly finished tracks) with Clifford that Keith, Charlie, Ronnie, Darryl, and Chuck (to varying degrees) can add their parts to complete. Truth be told, it's the same way Ray Davies worked with The Kinks for much of the 1980s and 1990s. It's the easy solution when you do not have a relationship that is open to collaboration. The fact that Clifford is only on two pre-production tracks for A BIGGER BANG is shocking, but shows that Mick and Keith can work together (and much of the album was built with the two of them sharing bass and drum duties making it perhaps the purest Glimmer Twins creation of all). Yet, fans spin this the way they want to perceive it. As always, their relationship is far more complex and we only have glimpses into its true nature. For those expecting a return to the old days, I have my doubts. I think this new record is built on Jagger/Clifford. My own jaded view is you need Richards/Jordan if you want more than the obligatory two Richards ad-lib tracks that are far more "feel" than they are "craft." That would seem the disparity between Keith and Mick in the modern era.

Date: April 4, 2016 20:21

KRiffhard

Thank you for the quotes!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 4, 2016 21:01

The thing to remember with Keith's quotes is he was trying to portray Mick in a certain light (at that point in time). "Only Mick thinks you have to go to a real recording studio" suggests Mick is out of touch. Charlie and Don Was agree with Keith in Keith's version. Reality is they finished up at The Fork in early 2005 and went to Ocean Way for mixing and overdubbing in the spring. There isn't much more they could have done in the studio since the tour was starting late summer and was already booked.

It's like Keith and his "Mick's already @#$%& up so many times, what's one more?" remark from the same era and the suggestion that Mick needs him. They may be Keith's opinions, but in the end they have damaged the band, added to the ego-trashing by the media, and came fairly close to derailing the last few years. This was probably brought home once Keith realized Mick could simply keep issuing Deluxe Editions with newly completed bonus tracks or bring in Mick Taylor or Ronnie to add guitar, but didn't need to ever work with Keith again. The only loss was touring and Mick was likely the one in the best shape financially and artistically to walk away from that had he chosen. As it is, the Rich Cohen book may be part of the passive/aggressive remarks we've seen sporadically from Mick for the past six years (usually through those who spoke to him, such as Bill Maher) which make it clear that life with Keith Richards as your collaborator isn't exactly a joy. Even Ronnie made some remarks along those lines when LIFE was published.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 4, 2016 21:09

KRiffhard
"Only Mick still thinks you have to take things into "real" recording studios to really make a real record. He got proved totally wrong on our latest - at the time of writing - album, A Bigger Bang, especially, because we did it all in his little château in France. We had got the stuff worked up, and he said, Now we'll take it into a real recording studio. And Don Was and I looked at each other, and Charlie looked at me... @#$%& this shit. We've already got it down right here. Why do you want to spring for all that bread? So you can say it was cut in so-and-so studio, the glass wall and the control room? We ain't going nowhere, pal. So finally he relented"
KR, 2010

"There's some good stuff on ABB, but I don't know... There's something about the way it holds together, for me. I don't know if we got the tracks in the right order or something like that. Sometimes, it can make the difference on a record, the way it flows. But I enjoyed making it very much"
KR, 2015

yes,i agree.thank you for those qoutes.when i read Witness's post i was thinking of that exact keith article that you have here.

this is basically keith admitting the bigger bang we got is exactly what we thought it was-a bunch of half finished,not well thought out outtakes that were never made into a proper album.
and then he goes on to admit that jagger wanted to go into an actual studio and make a record with these outtakes but keith,don was and charlie were too lazy to keep working and too cheap to pay for a studio.

this isn't keith being honest of course-he's being a wise ass,acting like he did something great by stopping work on the record.when it gets comical is the second qoute from a few years later when it's apparent the record is a piece of shit-instead of saying "yeah,mick was right we should've kept working on that until we had something worthwhile" he actually says "i don't know if we got the tracks in the right order?"

yeah,keith-you released an 18 song record with 10 songs that weren't good enough to see the light of day and the other 8 were half baked ideas that had no business being in the stones music catalogue -but it was the running order of the songs.

its been 11 years hopefully we'll at least get a finished product this time.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 4, 2016 21:31

lem motlow
KRiffhard
KR, 2010

KR, 2015

yes,i agree.thank you for those qoutes.when i read Witness's post i was thinking of that exact keith article that you have here.

this is basically keith admitting the bigger bang we got is exactly what we thought it was-a bunch of half finished,not well thought out outtakes that were never made into a proper album.
and then he goes on to admit that jagger wanted to go into an actual studio and make a record with these outtakes but keith,don was and charlie were too lazy to keep working and too cheap to pay for a studio.

this isn't keith being honest of course-he's being a wise ass,acting like he did something great by stopping work on the record.when it gets comical is the second qoute from a few years later when it's apparent the record is a piece of shit-instead of saying "yeah,mick was right we should've kept working on that until we had something worthwhile" he actually says "i don't know if we got the tracks in the right order?"

yeah,keith-you released an 18 song record with 10 songs that weren't good enough to see the light of day and the other 8 were half baked ideas that had no business being in the stones music catalogue -but it was the running order of the songs.

its been 11 years hopefully we'll at least get a finished product this time.

thumbs up

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 4, 2016 21:56

I seem to be in the minority here but I thought ABB was a pretty damn good album.

Date: April 4, 2016 22:29

Myself, not blind for some limitations as suggested some of which above, have expressed my view before as well that A BIGGER BANG verges on the semi-great, if somewhat safe, and post-UNDERCOVER (their latest great album), A BIGGER BANG in my estimation is only challenged by the also much more daring BRIDGES TO BABYLON.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: April 4, 2016 22:31

HonkeyTonkFlash
I seem to be in the minority here but I thought ABB was a pretty damn good album.

thumbs up Yep.

My 1986 - 2016 studio albums list:

1. A BIGGER BANG
2. VOODOO LOUNGE
3. BRIDGES TO BABYLON
4. STEEL WHEELS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-04 22:32 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 4, 2016 22:43

HonkeyTonkFlash

you know why i like you-well,...

when i used to do coke i knew this guy named steve who had the most low grade,7th generation blow you'd ever seen.i even had a name for it"stepped on steve"

now my actual person got these ki's from fla that when you bought it from him he would take out a big knife[ sometimes cutting through packaging]and ..well you get the idea.
but there was always a time,usually about the crack of dawn[two days removed]when you ran out.----- wasnt home so we had to-...call...steve....
i just went from some stuff that a week before was in a styrofoam cooler being thrown off the deck of a fishing boat in south florida to..."stepped on steve."

However-there was always someone,at some point who would look up and say"hey,you know this isnt't that bad."

HonkeyTonkFlash you are that guy,and i thank you for it-but it's not helping.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5354555657585960616263...LastNext
Current Page: 58 of 147

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2150
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home