Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11
Re: ALBUM TALK: Emotional Rescue
Date: September 4, 2015 16:37

I'll say that the playing on ER is better than that of SG! The sound is superior as well.

I'm gonna have to give a nod to the SG-songs, though. As a collection of songs it's the slightly better one, imo.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 4, 2015 20:11

The best thing I can say about this album is that All About you is a great song.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: September 4, 2015 20:51

matxil
Dance (Pt. 1) ==> OK, BUT FORGETTABLE
Send It to Me ==> SILLY

IMO Dance (pt.1) Fantastic
Send It to Me- second best on the album

They should have included Everything is turning to gold...and left Where the Boys Go in the vault.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 4, 2015 21:16

One of my least favorite Stones records. I think the Stones were dropping fans almost as quick as they once gained them and ER was one of the reasons why. Just not enough good rock and roll, imo. Probably not a popular opinion here but I've got to speak the truth from my perspective. I was still comparing them to their greatest work at this point and it just seemed they had somehow fallen from the top of the heap and settled into mediocrity.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 4, 2015 21:48

Naturalust
One of my least favorite Stones records. I think the Stones were dropping fans almost as quick as they once gained them and ER was one of the reasons why. Just not enough good rock and roll, imo. Probably not a popular opinion here but I've got to speak the truth from my perspective. I was still comparing them to their greatest work at this point and it just seemed they had somehow fallen from the top of the heap and settled into mediocrity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-04 21:53 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 4, 2015 22:10

Summer Romance filler? HA HA HA HA HA!

Their longest chart running time at #1.

Sonically this is probably their best sounding LP. TATTOO YOU sounds incredible considering the amount of years it covers. LIB and SF and even EOMS sound fantastic too. But ER has a slight edge over the rest because it's crispy and meaty.

Date: September 4, 2015 22:30

It has fantastic sound indeed.

Dropping fans? This album sold shitloads of copies! Gaining new fans as well as anchoring their name as the GRARBITW would be "the truth from my perspective" smiling smiley

Date: September 4, 2015 22:33

DandelionPowderman

Dropping fans? This album sold shitloads of copies! Gaining new fans as well as anchoring their name as the GRARBITW would be "the truth from my perspective" smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-04 22:35 by Turner68.

Date: September 4, 2015 22:40

DandelionPowderman

Well dropping fans of a certain bilk might be a better description. I know plenty of folks who were losing interest in the Stones around this time, of course you won't find any of them here on iorr. If this is what you think cemented there legacy as the GRARBITW I will just have to laugh it off, not even close, imo.

I do notice that besides She's So Cold, most of these tunes have either never been performed live or perhaps only very occasionally on one tour.

I'm seriously not trying to fan any flames here, I'm just someone who didn't like this record much.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 4, 2015 22:46

This album, and SSC specifically got me on the stones bandwagon. Tattoo You cemented me to my seat.

This is a great album with a very good sound. I dislike about 3 tracks, but even they aren't horrible.

Date: September 4, 2015 22:51

I know you don't like it, and that's okay. But you can't laugh off the million sales of SG, ER and TY. All albums were very successful for the Stones.

I think the main reason they haven't played many songs from ER on the same setlist has to do with the decision not to tour at the time - supposedly because the band was in bad shape. That's probably why they only have been digging up a ER nugget here and there on different tours.

SR (was planned to be included in the 82 setlist), SITM, IG, WTBG and DITH have never been played live. That's about the same as GHS?

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: September 4, 2015 23:03

The best thing I can say about this album is that All About you is a great song.

Totally agree

Date: September 4, 2015 23:11

But you can't laugh off the million sales of SG, ER and TY.

Well I bought ER at the time and didn't like it so there's that. winking smiley In those days we often bought records just based on the artist or even the album cover. Not as much opportunity to sample the songs first like these days. I think a lot of the sales of ER were based on the strength of Some Girls.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: September 4, 2015 23:20

It followed Some Girls so it was always going to struggle a bit IMHO......

Dance (Pt. 1) = Don't mind it at all
Summer Romance = Acceptable
Send It to Me = Not a fan
Let Me Go = Acceptable
Indian Girl = Don't mind it at all
Where the Boys Go = Can take it or leave it.
Down in the Hole = Finest song on the album, and up there with all the best Stones songs
Emotional Rescue = Great song but don't particularly like the falsetto
She's So Cold = Another great song
All About You = Good

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 4, 2015 23:55

It's just a silly record, in my opinion. "Summer Romance," "Send It To Me," "Let Me Go," "ER," and "She's So Cold" are all very funny, if inconsequential.

I thought "Dance Pt 1" actually got things off to a promising start; there was a bit of gravitas in that funk. But, alas, tomfoolery ensued.

Plus, "Indian Girl," "Where the Boys Go," and "Down in the Hole" were awful. Was this the first time there were three awful songs on a Stones record? If so, it wouldn't be the last.

I thought the record just made them seem sort of ... trivial.

Date: September 5, 2015 00:01

DandelionPowderman
I know you don't like it, and that's okay. But you can't laugh off the million sales of SG, ER and TY. All albums were very successful for the Stones.

I think the main reason they haven't played many songs from ER on the same setlist has to do with the decision not to tour at the time - supposedly because the band was in bad shape. That's probably why they only have been digging up a ER nugget here and there on different tours.

SR (was planned to be included in the 82 setlist), SITM, IG, WTBG and DITH have never been played live. That's about the same as GHS?

and it's a worse album than GHS, but not much worse ;-)

it made so much sense to me when i found out that tattoo you was a compilation of left over tracks - i could never figure out how such a bad album (ER) was sandwiched between 2 great albums (SG and TY).

if you listen to SG, ER, undercover, and dirty work the trajectory is very clearly going straight in one direction. we can only be thankful that they had something left in the well to dig into to create the songs that went into SG and TY.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-05 00:04 by Turner68.

Date: September 5, 2015 00:19

I like Undercover just as much as ER.

Date: September 5, 2015 00:59

DandelionPowderman
I like Undercover just as much as ER.

do you respect either one as much as some girls?

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: September 5, 2015 01:12

All about you is a great song. One of the best Keith has ever done. In my opinion.

Date: September 5, 2015 02:20

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

Well dropping fans of a certain bilk might be a better description. I know plenty of folks who were losing interest in the Stones around this time, of course you won't find any of them here on iorr. If this is what you think cemented there legacy as the GRARBITW I will just have to laugh it off, not even close, imo.

I do notice that besides She's So Cold, most of these tunes have either never been performed live or perhaps only very occasionally on one tour.

I'm seriously not trying to fan any flames here, I'm just someone who didn't like this record much.

True. She's So Cold and Let Me Go on the TATTOO YOU tours. All About You on the BRIDGES tours. And eventually the title track. What a shame.

Date: September 7, 2015 01:10

DandelionPowderman
EMOTIONAL RESCUE

Recorded:
January 5th - 29th & early February - March 2nd, 1978: Pathé Marconi StudiosBoulogne-Billancourt, France,
August 26-September 6, 1978: RCA Studios, Los Angeles, USA
January 22-February 12, 1979: Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas
June 10-July 7, 1979: Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas
Late July-August 25, 1979: Pathé Marconi Studios, Paris, France
September 12-October 19, 1979: Pathé Marconi Studios, Paris, France

Overdubbed & mixed:

October 26-mid-November 1979: Electric Lady Studios, New York City, USA
December 9 1979-January 1980: Electric Lady Studios, New York City, USA
Late April 1980: Electric Lady Studios, New York City

Producers: The Glimmer Twins
Associate producer & chief engineer: Chris Kimsey
Mixer: Chris Kimsey
Released: June 1980
Original label: Rolling Stones Records (on WEA & EMI)

Contributing musicians:

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman, Ron Wood, Ian Stewart, Bobby Keys, Nicky Hopkins, Sugar Blue, Max Romeo, Michael Shrieve, Arif Mardin (arranger), Jack Nitzsche (arranger).

Dance (Pt. 1)
Summer Romance
Send It to Me
Let Me Go
Indian Girl
Where the Boys Go
Down in the Hole
Emotional Rescue
She's So Cold
All About You

What are your thoughts on this album?

Summer Romance was recorded for SOME GIRLS so... line one of when and where.

Date: September 7, 2015 01:23

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 7, 2015 01:39

ER promo posters .........

ROCKMAN

Date: September 7, 2015 01:48

NICE!

I love album hype.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: September 7, 2015 08:24

My first Stones album...purchased at age 13. I loved Send It To Me and Indian Girl as much as the title track and She’s So Cold (which would’ve gone to No. 1 had they called it 'She’s An Ice Cream Cone’ IMO). At the time, it replaced KISS’ Dynasty as my all-time favorite album. I suppose that’s a scathing indictment of my 13 y/o taste but I believe my critical faculties have vastly improved over the years and I still love this album (ER I mean). By contrast I haven’t spun Dynasty since 1980. However, I confess I occasionally fantasize about Mick joining KISS on stage for a loopy version of ‘I Was Made For Lovin’ You.’ And I never much cared for Ace Frehley – they should’ve replaced him with Mick Taylor if they wanted me to keep buying their records.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 7, 2015 09:16

Date: September 8, 2015 02:49

As we dive into this album this week I find myself
Realizing that for me most of what bothers me about the songs is the singing and the lyrics. It just seems like mick is playing too many characters/ being a little too jokey about a lot of the songs. It works on "dance" but on send it to me, she's so cold, Indian girl, let me go... These could have been great songs had their vocals and words been worked on more.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 8, 2015 03:08

matxil
Dance (Pt. 1) ==> OK, BUT FORGETTABLE
Summer Romance ==> FILLER
Send It to Me ==> SILLY
Let Me Go ==> OK, BUT FORGETTABLE
Indian Girl ==> GOOD (yes, I am serious)
Where the Boys Go ==> FILLER
Down in the Hole ==> GOOD
Emotional Rescue ==> VERY GOOD
She's So Cold ==> VERY GOOD
All About You ==> GOOD

Put half of Emotional Rescue together with half of Undercover, and you would have a very good album.

Agree with this, though I'm a bit more harsh with this. I like only the last three tracks.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 14:17

Thanks for the cool promo posters and artwork above; would anyone have some of the full band photos of 1980 featured in different magazines to promote the album?

There's only a few on Google Images; for example, the pic on 'Down in the Hole' a few posts previously

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 14:27

It sounded nice in the day, only, just nice. But this is The Rolling Stones we are talking about.

It's just so ordinary as an album. Almost all filler with the very odd exception of the title track, and the pretty Indian Girl. I personally don't like ER the song either, but at least it was off the charts stylistically. They Tried something. Some say it works. Me, I don't. Indian Girl had a faint Ruby Tuesday-like charm.

The rest of the record was the Stones trying to prove Some Girls' punkish sound was no fluke, that they could still sound tough. In the end, they sounded like the Stones trying to sound like the Stones. Their own cover band.

Should have known from the cover in fact. Oddly cold. No emotion at all to it, which given the name of the album, was so ironic.

Never play it. Don't miss it.

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-08 14:28 by bitusa2012.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2390
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home