Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011
Current Page: 11 of 11
Re: ALBUM TALK: Emotional Rescue
Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: June 7, 2023 22:39

GetYerAngie
Dance (Pt. 1) - 9,5
Summer Romance - 9
Send It to Me - 9,5
Let Me Go - 8
Indian Girl - 9
Where the Boys Go - 8
Down in the Hole - 6
Emotional Rescue - 10
She's So Cold - 9,5
All About You - 3

I have always had a soft spot for Send it to me - the start is so great, and it's their best reggae-attempt. And MJ is in fantastic voice, and I like the could be the alien-part it's silly, but funny.
I have grown to like Indian girl too - and to dislike Down in the hole (which was a favourite of mine when ER was published).
All about you has always been a track to skip. Unfortunately KR chose this Tom Waits-inspired route for most of the following vocal contributions on RS albums.
The titel-track is a magnificent oddity, I was bewildered at first, but have loved it since I heard it the second time.

I wrote this seven years ago - and haven't changed my feelings about it since.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 7, 2023 23:12

Let Me Go, She's So Cold, All About You are my faves. Not an album I revisit often. More misses than hits for me.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 8, 2023 03:53

Reading GetYerAngie's post, I on the other hand would like to revise my evaluation from page 1 of the thread

Dance (Pt. 1) ==> 9
Summer Romance ==> from 8,5 to 9,5
Send It to Me ==> from 8,5 to 9,5
Let Me Go ==> from 7,5 to 8
Indian Girl ==> from 9 to 10
Where the Boys Go ==> 8,5
Down in the Hole ==> from 10 to 10*
Emotional Rescue ==> 9
She's So Cold ==> from 10 to 10*
All About You ==> from 10 to 10*

Here 10* is to be read as 10 plus one star.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 8, 2023 07:16

Jeeez, how I admire people who can use grades 1-10 and even half-grades to judge this album...
...for me, 3 grades are enough:

1 - Top
2 - So So
3 - Meh

Dance (Pt. 1) ==> 1-2
Summer Romance ==> 1
Send It to Me ==> 3
Let Me Go ==> 2-3 (1981/82 live versions 1)
Indian Girl ==> 3
Where the Boys Go ==> 3
Down in the Hole ==> 1
Emotional Rescue ==> 2
She's So Cold ==> 1
All About You ==> 2-3

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 8, 2023 13:18

I find it kind of interesting that opinions seem to be most divided on "Summer Romance", "Indian Girl", "Where The Boys Go" and "Emotional Rescue".

With "Indian Girl", obviously one needs a kind of weak spot for schmalzy melodrama and latin music to like it. With "ER", one needs to appreciate disco up to a certain point (although, like with Miss You, "ER" is not just standard disco, it's very Stones-y all the same). Both songs, "IG" and "ER" I like.

But with "Summer Romance" and "Where The Boys Go", I am curious. I really don't like them at all and they seem rather interchangeable: basic punky guitars and some "fun-punky" ("pretpunk" we say in Dutch) melodies, very much like "Hang Fire" or "Too Tight" and a number of other "hard rockers" on their late period albums. Very unlike the rockers they used to make. In my POV, very un-groovy, very "square". But I might be completely wrong. I am wondering what I am missing. What should I pay attention to?

Date: June 8, 2023 14:36

<But with "Summer Romance" and "Where The Boys Go", I am curious>

Those songs are quite different, imo. SR has a 50s, rockabilly-feel to it, especially the guitars and the repeated chorus. The Stones back to their roots, so to speak.

WTBG is more punk-sounding, also guitar-wise - and Mick is putting on his best accent to, well, accentuate just that.

For me, it's the brilliantly recorded instruments, and especially the guitar sound, that makes those tunes. And Charlie's playing on WTBG is insane, with those machine gun-esque drum rolls in the middle of one of the verses, just to break it up a bit.

On those songs the Stones fire on all cylinders, imo.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: June 8, 2023 15:21

My 'problem' with Indian Girl is that the song has very serious lyrics, but Jaggers sings half of the song in a nonchalant tone.. a little over-acted.

Date: June 8, 2023 15:51

ribbelchips
My 'problem' with Indian Girl is that the song has very serious lyrics, but Jaggers sings half of the song in a nonchalant tone.. a little over-acted.

That has been my beef with this song, too. However, maybe I put too much into it?

Date: June 8, 2023 16:39

DandelionPowderman
Those songs are quite different, imo. SR has a 50s, rockabilly-feel to it, especially the guitars and the repeated chorus. The Stones back to their roots, so to speak.

WTBG is more punk-sounding, also guitar-wise - and Mick is putting on his best accent to, well, accentuate just that.

For me, it's the brilliantly recorded instruments, and especially the guitar sound, that makes those tunes. And Charlie's playing on WTBG is insane, with those machine gun-esque drum rolls in the middle of one of the verses, just to break it up a bit.

I never listened to the songs like that, but I will give them another chance and try to listen to them with different ears.

Date: June 8, 2023 16:43

ribbelchips

I guess to Jagger too much seriousness would be "preachy". The song is a bit over-the-top, but the slight tongue-in-cheek saves it from too much heavy handedness, without taking away the entire message, I think. But it's a tricky balance.
However, musically it seems at place with the rest of the album.

Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: June 8, 2023 17:03

Really like this album. Right at the heart of that great 78-83 period. Bought around '86. My ratings are.....

Dance (Pt. 1) - 9
Summer Romance - 7
Send It to Me - 9
Let Me Go - 9 (Live version 10)
Indian Girl - 8
Where the Boys Go - 7
Down in the Hole - 10
Emotional Rescue - 9
She's So Cold - 10
All About You - 9

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: June 8, 2023 17:12

I remember when we first started hearing “Emotional Rescue” on the radio.. What a trip.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: June 8, 2023 19:45

matxil
DandelionPowderman

I never listened to the songs like that, but I will give them another chance and try to listen to them with different ears.

Same here. For me, it's always the song, no matter how brilliantly (or the opposite) it was recorded or technically brilliant it was performed. That's why I have no problem to listen to 60's garage rock or genuine punk for example but at the same time some technically perfectly played Prog Rock doesn't move me at all. Doesn't mean I like all of 60's garage rock or punk and don't like all Prog Rock - it always depends on the actual songs.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: June 9, 2023 03:03

great album,great production - the best production of the "80ies" albums (yeah its 79 i know) even better production than TY and SG imho.
Dance (Pt. 1) ==> 9
Summer Romance ==> 7
Send It to Me ==> 8
Let Me Go ==> 8
Indian Girl ==> 9
Where the Boys Go ==> 7,5
Down in the Hole ==> 10
Emotional Rescue ==> 6
She's So Cold ==> 9
All About You ==> 10

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 9, 2023 06:59

matxil
But with "Summer Romance" and "Where The Boys Go", I am curious. I really don't like them at all and they seem rather interchangeable: basic punky guitars and some "fun-punky" ("pretpunk" we say in Dutch) melodies, very much like "Hang Fire" or "Too Tight" and a number of other "hard rockers" on their late period albums. Very unlike the rockers they used to make. In my POV, very un-groovy, very "square". But I might be completely wrong. I am wondering what I am missing. What should I pay attention to?

One way to think of these two songs is that Summer Romance was recorded for SOME GIRLS.

Just as with songs recorded in 1969 that were/were not released on STICKY FINGERS and EXILE... would that change your view?

Or just take the song as it is, a rocker that's clearly tongue in cheek and the Stones just having a good time.

Where The Boys Go, however, was new. In regard to their discography, it's just a toss off - but it does kick and snarl. And... it's funny. Some great playing. Attitude. In regard to the moment, very punk yet blues based.

Date: June 9, 2023 07:07

ribbelchips
Aren't GHS and TY Deluxe just prove that they continue to re-release albums since the 2018 updated deal?

That's essentially what I pointed out: since the reconfiguration there have been two deluxe reissues.

As part of the original contract... probably no need to expand (IORR, B&B, ER and U deluxe reissues are probably not anything UMe has considered) because, although ER sold extremely well in its time at the top of the charts, it's not exactly a big seller overall, therefor, to the minds of UMe, no reason to deluxe it.

Apparently it doesn't matter that all of their albums in the 1970s through 1981 were number one albums chart wise, not globally but in the US and sometimes in the UK.

Date: June 9, 2023 07:15

No one seems to mention this:

The artwork is oddly excellent. The artwork is nothing like anything before. They managed to keep being inventive through UNDERCOVER. Since then it's all sucked.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 9, 2023 07:21

I seem to recall a large folded poster that came with the vinyl album....similar in design to the album cover...infrared...might have even been a two sided poster?

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: June 9, 2023 11:02

GasLightStreet
That's essentially what I pointed out: since the reconfiguration there have been two deluxe reissues.

As part of the original contract... probably no need to expand (IORR, B&B, ER and U deluxe reissues are probably not anything UMe has considered) because, although ER sold extremely well in its time at the top of the charts, it's not exactly a big seller overall, therefor, to the minds of UMe, no reason to deluxe it.

Apparently it doesn't matter that all of their albums in the 1970s through 1981 were number one albums chart wise, not globally but in the US and sometimes in the UK.

I doubt that sales figures are the main reason for releasing these deluxe editions. I think it's mainly to bring these albums under the attention once again and expanding their legacy. And of course to draw some attention in the media.

Dance (Pt. 1) 6
Summer Romance 7
Send It to Me 9
Let Me Go 7
Indian Girl 6
Where the Boys Go 8
Down in the Hole 8
Emotional Rescue 9
She's So Cold 9
All About You 6

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-09 11:04 by ribbelchips.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: June 9, 2023 12:43

One of the weakest albums since Rolling Stones Records started in 1971.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 9, 2023 12:50

UrbanSteel
One of the weakest albums since Rolling Stones Records started in 1971.

I absolutely agree with you. But nevertheless, ER remains an amazing album, if you ask me!

C

Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: June 11, 2023 07:57

After my ages 14-17 initial fascination with the Stones, which was the HT Women single, Through The Past Darkly, Sticky Fingers, Hot Rocks, and Exile On Main Street, I heard nothing on radio play that interested me in any of GHS, IORR, or Black and Blue. I just played the Stones albums I had.

Until 1978, of course. I loved all three of Some Girls, Emotional Rescue, and Tattoo You. For me, the boys were back, and back strong on all three albums.

Back for that run, anyway.

Over time I've gone back and gotten all of their studio albums except Satanic Majesties Request.

Their only albums of new studio recordings after 1981 that I've actually liked, though, have been Voodoo Lounge, A Bigger Bang, and Blue and Lonesome.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: June 11, 2023 11:25

The way they play: !0/10. Here we have Keith and Ron - and Charlie - and the bass - playing as a band, like no other band. And, yes, there are no big hits to be found, but a guitar driven groove. And I kinda like that. Is Paint it black better than Where the boys go? Is ice-cream better than a tasty burger on a hot and sunny day? cool smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 11, 2023 16:32

GasLightStreet
ribbelchips
Aren't GHS and TY Deluxe just prove that they continue to re-release albums since the 2018 updated deal?

I agree with everything you're saying...BUT, if there were only one more to superdeluxe, I'd take Emotional Rescue. Such a fun, great sounding album. I'll take all the flotsam and jetsam surrounding it.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: June 11, 2023 21:23

Hairball
I seem to recall a large folded poster that came with the vinyl album....similar in design to the album cover...infrared...might have even been a two sided poster?

Yep, and a mini version included in the limited edition 1994 Virgin re-issue I had just like the postcards in the Exile one. They really wanted to creste the album experience.

Posted by: AJDuffer ()
Date: June 12, 2023 02:13

Great discussion. I really like Where the Boys Go as a fun, punk song, but I also like Shattered for a similar reason. Both are very fun, high energy songs.

Date: June 12, 2023 09:23

AJDuffer
Great discussion. I really like Where the Boys Go as a fun, punk song, but I also like Shattered for a similar reason. Both are very fun, high energy songs.

I like Shattered too, because it has an original approach in structure and a very groovy beat. Where The Boys Go sounds more like an average loud rock song.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011
Current Page: 11 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2099
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home