Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11
Re: ALBUM TALK: Emotional Rescue
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 4, 2019 18:34

jah (you are still alive/ not dead)

I wrote ‘All About You’ here then I kept hearing Bobby Keys opening sax in my head. So I started to wonder and found this beautiful version.

[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: January 4, 2019 18:43

DandelionPowderman
EMOTIONAL RESCUE

Recorded:

August 26-September 6, 1978: RCA Studios, Los Angeles, USA
January 22-February 12, 1979: Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas
June 10-July 7, 1979: Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas
Late July-August 25, 1979: Pathé Marconi Studios, Paris, France
September 12-October 19, 1979: Pathé Marconi Studios, Paris, France

Overdubbed & mixed:

October 26-mid-November 1979: Electric Lady Studios, New York City, USA
December 9 1979-January 1980: Electric Lady Studios, New York City, USA
Late April 1980: Electric Lady Studios, New York City

Producers: The Glimmer Twins
Associate producer & chief engineer: Chris Kimsey
Mixer: Chris Kimsey
Released: June 1980
Original label: Rolling Stones Records (on WEA & EMI)

Contributing musicians:

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman, Ron Wood, Ian Stewart, Bobby Keys, Nicky Hopkins, Sugar Blue, Max Romeo, Michael Shrieve, Arif Mardin (arranger), Jack Nitzsche (arranger).

Dance (Pt. 1)
Summer Romance
Send It to Me
Let Me Go
Indian Girl
Where the Boys Go
Down in the Hole
Emotional Rescue
She's So Cold
All About You

What are your thoughts on this album?

Indian Girl worst song they ever released

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: January 4, 2019 20:01

potus43
DandelionPowderman
EMOTIONAL RESCUE

Recorded:

August 26-September 6, 1978: RCA Studios, Los Angeles, USA
January 22-February 12, 1979: Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas
June 10-July 7, 1979: Compass Point Studios, Nassau, Bahamas
Late July-August 25, 1979: Pathé Marconi Studios, Paris, France
September 12-October 19, 1979: Pathé Marconi Studios, Paris, France

Overdubbed & mixed:

October 26-mid-November 1979: Electric Lady Studios, New York City, USA
December 9 1979-January 1980: Electric Lady Studios, New York City, USA
Late April 1980: Electric Lady Studios, New York City

Producers: The Glimmer Twins
Associate producer & chief engineer: Chris Kimsey
Mixer: Chris Kimsey
Released: June 1980
Original label: Rolling Stones Records (on WEA & EMI)

Contributing musicians:

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman, Ron Wood, Ian Stewart, Bobby Keys, Nicky Hopkins, Sugar Blue, Max Romeo, Michael Shrieve, Arif Mardin (arranger), Jack Nitzsche (arranger).

Dance (Pt. 1)
Summer Romance
Send It to Me
Let Me Go
Indian Girl
Where the Boys Go
Down in the Hole
Emotional Rescue
She's So Cold
All About You

What are your thoughts on this album?

Indian Girl worst song they ever released
Yes we know, thanks to you ZZZZZzzzz

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: January 5, 2019 02:45

Hi little tiny girl, did u get a doll for Christmas? He hee

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 6, 2019 23:10

I remember it at the time as a fast little summer album, that didn't add up to much. Emotional Rescue, She's So Cold, All About You, and of course, Indian Girl, are classics. But the rest are throwaways from the Some Girls sessions. I remember being so disappointed in Down In The Hole. Here were the Stones, of all bands, with a blues number, and they hadn't done one in a while, falling flat.

Date: September 6, 2019 23:57

Love Down In The Hole!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 7, 2019 00:15

DandelionPowderman
Love Down In The Hole!

I do share that affection for the song. And I experience it so much as a personally felt song in its deliverance.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 7, 2019 01:08

Witness
DandelionPowderman
Love Down In The Hole!

I do share that affection for the song. And I experience it so much as a personally felt song in its deliverance.

Agree - an original blues tune from the Stones...what's not to like about it?
Unlike Blue and Lonseome's covers, an album of original blues tunes from the Stones would be more than welcome.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: September 7, 2019 01:12

I also love Down In The Hole. It's fierce and dark. It's gritty without trying to duplicate a degraded sound. Sometimes the blues can sound apocalyptic, like it does here. I always thought it was an intense song, and kind of unique in its bleakness.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: September 7, 2019 02:18

ER is in my opinion better than everything else that came after. (I do not count the great TY, which mostly were former 70s-outtakes)

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 7, 2019 03:38

24FPS
Emotional Rescue, She's So Cold, All About You, and of course, Indian Girl, are classics.

Indian Girl a classic...piece of crap...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 7, 2019 03:53

Down In The Hole is dirty Stones ….
...... Hoo Doo Blues is filthy Stones .........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 7, 2019 04:43

I've come to appreciate ER the more I listen to it. It's an all around fun Summer album. It's got a little bit of everything. Dance, Punk, Reggae, Disco.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 7, 2019 05:37

shortfatfanny
24FPS
Emotional Rescue, She's So Cold, All About You, and of course, Indian Girl, are classics.

Indian Girl a classic...piece of crap...

I beg to differ. Indian Girl is a song of its time. It's quite daring politically. Down In The Hole is fake blues that never hits the note.

Date: September 7, 2019 10:48

jahisnotdead
I also love Down In The Hole. It's fierce and dark. It's gritty without trying to duplicate a degraded sound. Sometimes the blues can sound apocalyptic, like it does here. I always thought it was an intense song, and kind of unique in its bleakness.

That's what I'm hearing, too. Well said thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 7, 2019 17:56

deardoctor
ER is in my opinion better than everything else that came after. (I do not count the great TY, which mostly were former 70s-outtakes)

ER was 70s takes.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 7, 2019 18:13

Basically it has ER. Which was a semi-hit at the time. Not a classical Stones song though - almost impossible to do live. Plus Dance. Which is still holding up pretty well.
And She's So Cold which is a decent up tempo pop/rock song. Nowhere near a hit though. The rest is pretty much b-side material. A 2½ out of 5 album. Then and now.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: September 7, 2019 19:02

SG, ER, TY were the Stones last great records, last great Stones studio era, Stones v2.0.

Then came Word War III and the change to the focus on touring.

ER:
Dance (Pt. 1) - 6
Summer Romance - 10
Send It To Me - 10
Let Me Go - 10
Indian Girl - 8
Where The Boys Go - 6

Down In The Hole - 10
Emotional Rescue - 7
She's So Cold - 10
All About You - 10

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: September 7, 2019 20:01

Stoneage
Basically it has ER. Which was a semi-hit at the time. Not a classical Stones song though - almost impossible to do live. Plus Dance. Which is still holding up pretty well.
And She's So Cold which is a decent up tempo pop/rock song. Nowhere near a hit though. The rest is pretty much b-side material. A 2½ out of 5 album. Then and now.

Ooh, don't say She's So Cold wasn't a hit... folks here won't like that winking smiley

Date: September 7, 2019 20:35

Stoneage

A "semi" hit that reached #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #1 in Canada smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-07 20:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 7, 2019 20:39

ER is a fun album and easy listen, and I admit I listen to more then exile and the big 4 - I need something from the 80's to grab on to ,besides TY and undercover.

Date: September 7, 2019 22:07

OpenG
ER is a fun album and easy listen, and I admit I listen to more then exile and the big 4 - I need something from the 80's to grab on to ,besides TY and undercover.

I can listen to the guitars in Dance all day. So many things going on, tied together brilliantly.

Date: September 7, 2019 22:27

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

A "semi" hit that reached #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #1 in Canada smiling smiley

OK, a hit then. Never to make it as a warhorse though (#141. Played 20 times in 2013/14).

Ps. She's So Cold is the number one ER warhorse. #39 (setlist.fm).Ds.

Date: September 7, 2019 22:32

Stoneage

Top 40 hit in the UK and US, therefor it was/is a hit.

Date: September 7, 2019 22:36

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Stoneage with "semi-hit" not understanding what makes a hit song of one of their most memorable singles.

That's the same as saying Dorian is gonna hit Alabama.

#9 in the UK. Top 20 and Top 10 in several countries. "Semi-hit" my ass.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 8, 2019 00:01

LBUM TALK: Emotional Rescue new
Posted by: DandelionPowderman ()

OpenG

I can listen to the guitars in Dance all day. So many things going on, tied together brilliantly.

Yes because of RW - He most likely wrote the groove as he is credited , and whole
flavor of the song.

Date: September 8, 2019 00:44

OpenG

OpenG

Yes because of RW - He most likely wrote the groove as he is credited , and whole
flavor of the song.

Both Ronnie and Keith. They have many tracks each in there. Keith is doing the stuff which leads up to the horn riff + that beeping tone telephone-sounding little solo break, for instance smiling smiley

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: September 8, 2019 02:32

DandelionPowderman
OpenG

OpenG

flavor of the song.

Both Ronnie and Keith. They have many tracks each in there. Keith is doing the stuff which leads up to the horn riff + that beeping tone telephone-sounding little solo break, for instance smiling smiley

Really cool song

Date: September 8, 2019 07:41

Dandy and GLS: You're right. ER was a hit, not a semi-hit. What I was hinting at was perhaps that it was a bit forgotten with time since they never played it live. Except 33 years later. But it was a hit, by all means.

Date: September 8, 2019 11:19

Stoneage
Dandy and GLS: You're right. ER was a hit, not a semi-hit. What I was hinting at was perhaps that it was a bit forgotten with time since they never played it live. Except 33 years later. But it was a hit, by all means.

Yep, and so was the album.

About ER, the song: It was different, and probably a challenge for the 1981-lineup to do live. Didn't really fit that setlist.

In later years they rehearsed it a lot, though, before they decided to have a go at it in 2013. Then, they played it regularly for that tour and for some later gigs. I'm glad I catched it in 2014.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 8 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1590
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home