Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 24
Re: ALBUM TALK: Some Girls
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 28, 2015 21:04

This one has a tweak on the original logo.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 28, 2015 21:05

LongBeachArena72

There's nothing really punk, in my opinion, about any Stones track.

Indeed.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 28, 2015 21:07

The beginning of a long "suck up" relationship between Jagger and Wenner. Hard to trust anything they print when they are willing to be bullied in this fashion. Anyway thanks for the backstory GLS.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 28, 2015 21:18

Naturalust
The beginning of a long "suck up" relationship between Jagger and Wenner. Hard to trust anything they print when they are willing to be bullied in this fashion. Anyway thanks for the backstory GLS.
so true , very good observation !

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 28, 2015 21:46

Great graphics GLS
Some girls was the first stones album I remember coming out in stores
The cover fascinated me even at the age of 9
I would pick it up in the stores and read it over and try to make sense
Really brilliant packaging. Feels 300% more relevant and hip than the black and blue cover

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 28, 2015 21:54

I love finding all that stuff and seeing it in one place! The hype, the singles... SG having alternate LP covers is fantastic.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 28, 2015 22:42

His Majesty
LongBeachArena72

Indeed.

So this issue is resolved for good. Stones = no punk.

Posted by: SuperC ()
Date: August 28, 2015 23:20

Loved it when it came out but always thought the sound was lacking - a bit "dulled". Don't listen much to SG now. The real gem resulting out of the album is the Handsome Girls boot which has the energy, crispness that was a little lacking in the albums production.

Date: August 28, 2015 23:45

kleermaker
His Majesty
LongBeachArena72

Indeed.

Well in the same sense as Stones = no reggae I would agree. I actually still believe a few of those Some Girls tracks were influenced by punk as Jagger himself has inferred. But as DP pointed out this tune certainly has elements of punk, if they released it in 1979 everyone would probably be calling it just that. smoking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 28, 2015 23:47

kleermaker
His Majesty
LongBeachArena72

Indeed.

Whatever you want to call it, hard-driving rebellious 3 and 4-chord rock with lyrics shouted as much as they are sung has been a stones staple for "52 and counting" years and, to stay on topic, this is reflected in respectable, lies, and when the whip comes down on Some Girls.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 29, 2015 00:16

Naturalust
kleermaker
His Majesty
LongBeachArena72

Indeed.

Well in the same sense as Stones = no reggae I would agree. I actually still believe a few of those Some Girls tracks were influenced by punk as Jagger himself has inferred. But as DP pointed out this tune certainly has elements of punk, if they released it in 1979 everyone would probably be calling it just that. smoking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Yes, Stones = no reggae. I don't know if they were influenced by what was thought of as punk music in 77 ... but by the same token it seems obvs that they were influenced by the attitude ... and by the hatred that a lot of punk bands had for The Stones. Seems clear that the band definitely regarded this as a 'put up or shut up' moment in which they came roaring back into the conversation. Not with songs that could be thought of as punk but as tougher harder rocking songs which could be regarded as 'back to basics' and a retreat from the genre-hopping of the previous few records.

I still don't hear punk in "She Said Yeah," but I seem to be in the minority on this score so will defer to you all!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 29, 2015 00:23

Their last great album. Tattoo You was good, but the first side ain't that much, and the second side was from all over the 70s.

Some Girls was their last great album triumph. The songs work as a unit, along with that swirly sound that blends it all together. I think that's why the bonus cuts from that time, though good, simply don't fit on this particular work of art. It's the last time we get that fresh off the presses look into the Stones' world, which at this time had reached its scandalous peak with the Toronto bust and tales of debauchery with the Prime Minister's wife. They were the Greatest Pop Band In The World again, with Disco, Punk, a Motown cover, Chucky Berry licks a bluesy Beast of Burden all over the charts.

This would be the last time a themed tour really dug deep into an album. And it was the peak of the Wood/Richards guitar combo, and damn Bill and Charlie were hot. It was the return of the Stones, their TRUE 'best album since Exile'. They would never again be this tight. They would never again achieve success in establishing an over all theme. Their last great summer album that everybody loved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-29 06:29 by 24FPS.

Date: August 29, 2015 00:26

I've always been suspicious of the assertion that there was a lot of hatred from the punks toward the Stones. I think many probably felt that way about their later lifestyle and Mick's jetsetter ways being no longer "salt of the earth" enough to represent youthful music in a genuine way, and even their cozy record biz establishment values. But I get the feeling in was different with respect to Keith and his bohemian ways and that the punks all has a soft sot for Keith if not for Stones music in general. Of course I can understand their hatred once Miss You was released. grinning smiley

Date: August 29, 2015 00:30

24FPS
Their last great album. Tattoo You was good, but the first side ain't that much, and the second side was from all over the 70s.

Some Girls was their last great album triumph. The sounds work as a unit, along with that swirly sound that blends it all together. I think that's why the bonus cuts from that time, though good, simply don't fit on this particular work of art. It's the last time we get that fresh off the presses look into the Stones' world, which at this time had reached its scandalous peak with the Toronto bust and tales of debauchery with the Prime Minister's wife. They were the Greatest Pop Band In The World again, with Disco, Punk, a Motown cover, Chucky Berry licks a bluesy Beast of Burden all over the charts.

This would be the last time a themed tour really dug deep into an album. And it was the peak of the Wood/Richards guitar combo, and damn Bill and Charlie were hot. It was the return of the Stones, their TRUE 'best album since Exile'. They would never again be this tight. They would never again achieve success in establishing an over all theme. Their last great summer album that everybody loved.

thumbs up

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 29, 2015 00:35

Don't know why this album always gets the conversation onto punk
Nothing from punk comes close to Some Girls
Couple of tracks loosely sound kind of punk, so what
Beast Of Burden, Miss you, Just My imagination, BTMMR, Far Away Eyes, punk my ass

Date: August 29, 2015 00:42

keefriffhards
Beast Of Burden, Miss you, Just My imagination, BTMMR, Far Away Eyes, punk my ass

Have you ever actually listened to NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS, HERE'S THE SEX PISTOLS, or the first Clash record, or anything by The Stooges?

This, for example, is better than anything on SOME GIRLS:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 29, 2015 00:44

Love the clash. And I do believe they were closet Stones fans.

Of course, the Clash covered this great tune by the Bobby Fuller Four, they understood the connection between 50's & early/mid 60's rock and what they were doing:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-29 00:49 by Turner68.

Date: August 29, 2015 00:48

Turner68

All of them were hanging around outside The Wick. Both bands were huge fans smiling smiley

Date: August 29, 2015 00:52

Naturalust
I've always been suspicious of the assertion that there was a lot of hatred from the punks toward the Stones. I think many probably felt that way about their later lifestyle and Mick's jetsetter ways being no longer "salt of the earth" enough to represent youthful music in a genuine way, and even their cozy record biz establishment values. But I get the feeling in was different with respect to Keith and his bohemian ways and that the punks all has a soft sot for Keith if not for Stones music in general. Of course I can understand their hatred once Miss You was released. grinning smiley

I think some of it could have definitely been for effect and to sell records. John Lydon, for one, was a master manipulator of the media. And you may be right about the differentiation between Mick and Keith. At the time, Mick was definitely seen as more responsible for the mid-70's malaise than Keith was. I mean, they were regarded by some punkers as essentially prog-rock, arena-rock, one step away from Genesis!

Date: August 29, 2015 00:53

LongBeachArena72
keefriffhards

Have you ever actually listened to NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS, HERE'S THE SEX PISTOLS, or the first Clash record, or anything by The Stooges?

[www.youtube.com]

Of course i have
I know it all dude, i even bought the T shirt
Don't get on your high horse with me
The sex pistols are a joke, but that's my opinion and i'm entitled to it

Date: August 29, 2015 00:55

Turner68

Of course, the Clash covered this great tune by the Bobby Fuller Four, they understood the connection between 50's & early/mid 60's rock and what they were doing:

I can't see the link (for some reason I can't see your video links, as a general rule, Turner), but assume you are talking about "I Fought the Law"?

Yeah, that is a great cover. And The Clash, of course, proved to be a very versatile band, fluent in several different styles. That great first album only hinted at everything that was to come ...

Date: August 29, 2015 00:58

LongBeachArena72
Naturalust

I think some of it could have definitely been for effect and to sell records. John Lydon, for one, was a master manipulator of the media. And you may be right about the differentiation between Mick and Keith. At the time, Mick was definitely seen as more responsible for the mid-70's malaise than Keith was. I mean, they were regarded by some punkers as essentially prog-rock, arena-rock, one step away from Genesis!

yes, safe to say they were more into the KR-style R&R and less into noodling and Billy Preston's keyboards :-)

and it was definitely all for effect and to sell records. the great rock-n-roll swindle indeed. but then, so was the stones' attitude in those first couple of years, ALO creating the image. in some ways malcolm mclaren was just copying the ALO playbook.

590x350.jpg

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-29 01:06 by Turner68.

Date: August 29, 2015 01:02

keefriffhards
LongBeachArena72
keefriffhards

[www.youtube.com]

Of course i have

the whole point of the sex pistols was always that it was a joke. but their (only) album is definitely a great document of the punk movement.

i view the clash as the quintessential punk rock band, much more to say and play than what the sex pistols had going on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-29 01:04 by Turner68.

Date: August 29, 2015 01:50

Turner68
keefriffhards
LongBeachArena72
keefriffhards

[www.youtube.com]

Of course i have

the whole point of the sex pistols was always that it was a joke. but their (only) album is definitely a great document of the punk movement.

i view the clash as the quintessential punk rock band, much more to say and play than what the sex pistols had going on.

Agreed
Sex pistils aside i really respect John Lydon as a man
He is incredible, a one off, a bit like our keith

Date: August 29, 2015 01:55

Turner68
keefriffhards
LongBeachArena72
keefriffhards

[www.youtube.com]

Of course i have

Yes, The Clash was the best punk band; NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS the best punk album.

Date: August 29, 2015 02:05

LongBeachArena72
Turner68
keefriffhards
LongBeachArena72
keefriffhards

[www.youtube.com]

Of course i have

Yes, The Clash was the best punk band; NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS the best punk album.

Pleased you have calmed down a bit lol
I have to admit i love all that stuff, i still get exited by the pistols and the clash, i just don't take the pistols seriously as musicians.
You cant really compare them to the Stones
Its like comparing the Stones to the Eagles i guess
We enjoy the Stones more but hell the Eagles are better musicians technically.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 29, 2015 02:50

Naturalust
... as DP pointed out this tune certainly has elements of punk, if they released it in 1979 everyone would probably be calling it just that. smoking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

The track would not have been the same. Plenty of 50's/60's R&B is racous etc, She Said Yeah is a 1965 Rolling Stones manifestation of all that, it's not punk at all.

Just because stuff that came later has similar elements doesn't mean this track has the same attitude and mindset behind it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-29 03:11 by His Majesty.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 29, 2015 04:57

It's hard to put into words what this album still means to me to this day ... it was my intro to the Stones and I've never turned back! Every song is classic Stones, to me. I always say this is #5, behind the big 4 -- to me all the other albums are well behind the top 5.

Punk? Not punk? What's the difference, the songs are still amazing. But to that topic, to those that say no punk, I think they are missing a big part of what punk is ... first of all, this gets lumped in as 'punk' because it was highly publicized in the press at that time, as the Stones answer to punk. In addition, punk is not only about he fast paced songs (and how could you possibly deny that with Whip, Lies, Respectable) but it is also about the attitude, anti-establishment, deviating from the norm ... if that doesn't describe the Stones to you, then I would say read up more about their history. The Stone were truly punk before that word even had its meaning in terms of music.

Date: August 29, 2015 05:38

His Majesty
Naturalust
... as DP pointed out this tune certainly has elements of punk, if they released it in 1979 everyone would probably be calling it just that. smoking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

The track would not have been the same. Plenty of 50's/60's R&B is racous etc, She Said Yeah is a 1965 Rolling Stones manifestation of all that, it's not punk at all.

Just because stuff that came later has similar elements doesn't mean this track has the same attitude and mindset behind it.

Yes of course I wouldn't seriously call anything done in 1965 punk but if those guitars had more of a late 70's punk tone and you had no preconceptions about the origin I'd say some people would probably describe it as such. smoking smiley

Date: August 29, 2015 05:49

LeonidP
It's hard to put into words what this album still means to me to this day ... it was my intro to the Stones and I've never turned back! Every song is classic Stones, to me. I always say this is #5, behind the big 4 -- to me all the other albums are well behind the top 5.

Punk? Not punk? What's the difference, the songs are still amazing. But to that topic, to those that say no punk, I think they are missing a big part of what punk is ... first of all, this gets lumped in as 'punk' because it was highly publicized in the press at that time, as the Stones answer to punk. In addition, punk is not only about he fast paced songs (and how could you possibly deny that with Whip, Lies, Respectable) but it is also about the attitude, anti-establishment, deviating from the norm ... if that doesn't describe the Stones to you, then I would say read up more about their history. The Stone were truly punk before that word even had its meaning in terms of music.

Yes, in a sense, they were. And then, for the past four decades are so, they've been the poster children for corporate rock!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2106
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home