Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 52
Re: 'Which Lyric Am I?'
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 14, 2015 11:40

Is there a "cast" in the new clue, though, other than the implied "cast in bronze"?

Olly
Further clue to 7: The 'charger' is a horse made in bronze.
From a song first released: 1964-1969, inclusive.

The feet of the fellow waiting for a Factory Girl are getting wet. Presumably his implied shoes are too.

Should we ask Olly to give us a clue every 24 hours if we're all barking up wrong trees?
He might for example let us know if any of us (other than Schillid) have mentioned the right track ...

Date: September 14, 2015 11:42

Just so it's on this page:

7:
Delivering processed rubbish for the aureate and undesired results, which are ours and yours, of a charger.

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 14, 2015 13:52

X

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-14 14:51 by z.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 14, 2015 13:59

Do I have to conclude the Country Honk phrase (Tippling a jar in Jackson) was wrong?

Well, it was just an attempt. I had a good time reading about all kinds of equestrian statues.
Learn something new every day.

Did you know the horse of Andrew Jackson was called Duke?
Maybe we'll have to go into some of the London- songs about the English aristocrats.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 14, 2015 16:45

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-16 15:17 by schillid.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 14, 2015 17:41

"Delivering processed rubbish for the aureate and undesired results, which are ours and yours, of a charger."

I really have no idea, I only came up with a few hunches which might or - more likely - might not shine some light on this braincracker.

"Processed rubbish" --> waste. There are a lot of lyrics of the Stones with the word "waste" in it.
"aureate" --> gold, but since everybody already thought about that, I guess it must be something else
"undesired results" --> failure, mistake, ???
"ours and yours" --> everybody's ???
"charger --> bronze horse." When I typed this in in google, I found there's a statue: "the bronze horseman in... Saint Petersburg." But I don't see how the rest would fit in with Sympathy for the Devil.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: September 14, 2015 19:21

marcovandereijk
Do I have to conclude the Country Honk phrase (Tippling a jar in Jackson) was wrong?

I'm afraid so - no correct answers so far.

I can't come up with any further clues that don't give the answer away. The clues already given:

Further clue to 7: The 'charger' is a horse made in bronze.

From a song first released: 1964-1969, inclusive.

crumbling_mice
...I've studied it on and off for a while now and have come to the conclusion that Olly is either a fiendishly good cryptic setter or something is not quite right in the clue.

Olly could you let us know if this is a totally cryptic clue or partially...or give us a little more.

Probably not 'totally cryptic'. Perhaps think of these as humorous or deliberately tricky translations of lyrics.

In this one, there are a couple of words (one in the clue and one in the lyric that is broken down in the clue) that need to be deconstructed and re-evaluated.

Part of the answer to this one lies in the pronouns - but not as they appear in the clue, naturally.

Probably not to everyone's definition or taste of cryptic clue, but only meant as a fun brain teaser, after all.

I'll give the answer before Friday's new puzzle.

Olly.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 14, 2015 21:19

I vowed I wouldn't come back to this thread...but here I am again, like a moth to a flame!

Thanks for clarifying things Olly and despite it driving me bonkers it has become compelling if only just to finally know the answer, although I do hope somebody gets it before Friday. Right, back to the task in hand...

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 14, 2015 22:51

I've convinced myself through the most extreme and surreal thought processes that it is a line from brown Sugar, and I've worked out what i think maybe one part, but still some pieces which don't seem to work...Br = Bronze, brown without the br leaves own (ours/yours) ...Sugar sounds like Shergar, the famous missing brown horse...

I know, desparate stuff going on here!

Posted by: Rosto ()
Date: September 14, 2015 23:15

Another day passed. Still I have no clue.
Only a headache

Let it rock!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 14, 2015 23:41

I actually seriously considered looking at the lyrics for everyone of those songs that schillid listed...then I came to my senses. This thread is bringing out my addictive personality issues. I'm gonna leave the field to those with more fortitude.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 15, 2015 01:35

latebloomer
I actually seriously considered looking at the lyrics for everyone of those songs that schillid listed...then I came to my senses. This thread is bringing out my addictive personality issues. I'm gonna leave the field to those with more fortitude.

Ha! You aren't the only one bloomer! I had similar thoughts also decided that would be a bit compulsive and tedious. lol

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 15, 2015 08:04

What a drag it is get tin gold

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 15, 2015 08:15

Naturalust
latebloomer

Ha! You aren't the only one bloomer! I had similar thoughts also decided that would be a bit compulsive and tedious. lol

And believe me, it doesn't help.

Date: September 15, 2015 09:33

Is it the "war, children, it's just a shot away" line from GS?

War is one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse (though red not bronze in my Bible, and aureate means gold not bronze)
Children might be results which are ours and yours (though not always undesired!)
And you can get rid of rubbish by throwing the sh*t away - just needs a bit of adjustment or "processing"...

Very far fetched - and if that's not it I shall avoid this thread until Friday - this is getting to be My Obsession.

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: September 15, 2015 11:12

You could be on to something here...

War was a Roan bronze horse.

If you were to get rid of something (rubbish in this case) it could be said that you were getting shot of it!

War and children ..in the lyrics- would be the undesired result if the 'shot' was to occur. ..as in it's just a shot away. ??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-15 11:18 by undertheradar.

Date: September 15, 2015 11:14

Oops meant to quote your message Green Lady...

Date: September 15, 2015 11:43

Or it might be the rape, murder version - Murder backwards is Red Rum, a HORSE known throughout the British Isles...

(- and I think there's a bronze statue of him at Aintree, too)

edit: no, as you were - there isn't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-15 12:04 by Green Lady.

Date: September 15, 2015 11:45

z
What a drag it is get tin gold

LoFL! I love it. And Green Lady, yours sounds like a Definite Possibility!

I actually dreamed about this thread - and it wasn't nice, just fretful tossing and turning -
which is probably a signal that I've had enough. But (like Marcovandereijk)
I've been learning so many interesting things about bronze horses!

Date: September 15, 2015 11:58

Green Lady
Or it might be the rape, murder version - Murder backwards is Red Rum, a HORSE known throughout the British Isles...

I think you cracked it..

Date: September 15, 2015 12:41

Yes, above the picture of the bronze Red Rum. I like the children and war that are both
just a shot away, but where's the ours and yours?

I was on something like that, following "El Cid" towards Citadel, but could not get past
the Cathy and Taffy line.

I would really be glad if this torture was over. I did not really dream about bronze
horses (yet), but my brain started spinning every moment of my REM-sleep towards this question.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 15, 2015 13:43

Holy crap on a cracker! Clearly I am not made for this game. Gonna hit Snooze and roll over. Carry on.

Date: September 15, 2015 15:40

Date: September 15, 2015 15:51

Date: September 15, 2015 16:12

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-16 15:16 by schillid.

Date: September 15, 2015 16:30

Schillid, I am glad you're still with us.
Another hint was that the song in question was written by the Stones themselves, which
means your list can be reduced by taking away all the covers.
We're in this together. Let's combine our brain power to solve the question.

Meanwhile I am studying the history of Leonardo's horse. Don't know if it helps, but
I start to be an expert on the subject of bronze horses.

Date: September 15, 2015 16:34

marcovandereijk
Meanwhile I am studying the history of Leonardo's horse.

It's quite interesting, isn't it!

Date: September 15, 2015 16:38

The maid, she's French, she's got no sense
She's from the Crazy Horse

...lets just throw random lines here and see what happens. confused smiley

Date: September 15, 2015 16:57

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-15 17:01 by undertheradar.

Date: September 15, 2015 17:05

Gadzooks - in my cryptic world you either do synonyms or anagrams, not anagrams of synonyms! eye popping smiley
Although Olly has quite rightly pointed out that cryptic puzzles are usually cluing one or two words,
not entire sentence-like entities from songs, so he's allowed to play a bit fast & loose.
Still, he could at least tell us whether the track is on an album or a single! >.<

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 52

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1335
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home