Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: ALBUM TALK: Goats Head Soup
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 31, 2023 14:34

Taylor1
Doxa
buffalo7478
Would love to see them perform Coming Down Again.

Strange to think that 'them' now performing it would be only Keith Richards... Of those who once recorded this beautiful piece under the name of The Rolling Stones (and if the hell doesn't freeze and Jagger would join the stage with him).

- Doxa
Did not Mick sing vocals on the album track

Surely he did, like he has done in so many 'Keith numbers' on albums. But that doesn't traslate well into live performances since the golden days of "Happy"...

- Doxa

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 31, 2023 18:32

I long to hear Winter live.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 3, 2023 02:08

Doxa
Taylor1
Doxa
buffalo7478
Would love to see them perform Coming Down Again.

Strange to think that 'them' now performing it would be only Keith Richards... Of those who once recorded this beautiful piece under the name of The Rolling Stones (and if the hell doesn't freeze and Jagger would join the stage with him).

- Doxa
Did not Mick sing vocals on the album track

Surely he did, like he has done in so many 'Keith numbers' on albums. But that doesn't traslate well into live performances since the golden days of "Happy"...

- Doxa

I point to "Time Is On My Side" from the 81 tour (which admittedly is still a VERY long time ago). That was magic.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: June 3, 2023 16:47

I was 12 when it came out. And already a Stones Fan. But young as I was I was disappointed about the cover because I couldn't see my idols clearly. They were all hidden behind this curtain/bubble. With my 12 I thought: They are so rich and don't spend the money for a proper photographer!!smiling smiley

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: June 4, 2023 00:32

VoodooLounge13
I long to hear Winter live.

Me too!!

Date: June 4, 2023 02:17

The album sleeve was "grotesque", according to Mr K. Richards.

Goats Head Soup 50 years today !!
Posted by: andreas ()
Date: August 31, 2023 18:37

That fantastic album was released 50 years ago today !
congrats !!
Next month Hackney Diamonds…
Long live the Stones ))))

Re: Goats Head Soup 50 years today !!
Date: August 31, 2023 19:17

An absolutely phenomenal album!!!! My 3rd favorite all-time by them.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 31, 2023 19:22

With the great Mick Taylor.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: August 31, 2023 19:32

What I wouldn't give to hear Winter live!!!

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: August 31, 2023 20:03

The only problem with this great album is that it was released after the masterpiece "Exile".
I love all the Goats' outtakes too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-31 20:06 by HardRiffin.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: August 31, 2023 20:20

It was definitely a departure from anything they had done up to that point.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 31, 2023 20:20

So strange I dreamt about the record yesterday night and then got up and played Angie and Mr D on me guitar. Strange

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 31, 2023 20:33

A day of celebration!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 31, 2023 21:10

> Goats Head Soup 50 years today <

And in 50 years it'll be '100 Years Ago' smiling smiley

Happy Anniversary!

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: August 31, 2023 21:22

One of my absolute favourites. Love the feel, melodies, and dreamy grooves of magic such as Winter, Can You Hear the Music, Coming Down Again, 100 Years Ago.

Happy Birthday GHS!

Posted by: TIRED ()
Date: August 31, 2023 21:34

The French Rolling Stone issue Sept. 2023 has a long article on the 50th anniversary of GHS plus an interesting (albeit AI created) cover:

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: August 31, 2023 21:46

my favourite stones album! my all time favourite album

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: August 31, 2023 21:59

Great album with two songs on it I do not like so much. But the others!!!! Wow

Dancing With Mr. D
100 Years Ago
Coming Down Again
Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Angie
Silver Train
Winter
Star Star (@#$%&)

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmiling bouncing smileysmiling smileycool smileysmoking smiley

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: August 31, 2023 22:13

Christiaan
Great album with two songs on it I do not like so much. But the others!!!! Wow

Dancing With Mr. D
100 Years Ago
Coming Down Again
Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Angie
Silver Train
Winter
Star Star (@#$%&)

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmiling bouncing smileysmiling smileycool smileysmoking smiley

Try replacing them with "Criss Cross" and "Living in the heart of love" winking smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 31, 2023 22:43

Seems like a 100 years ago. Great albumsmileys with beer

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 31, 2023 22:50

I’ve said it before in previous, related threads: Goats Head Soup was the Stones’ first, true, album of the 1970’s. Both Sticky Fingers and - though be it, to a lesser extent - Exile on Main Street, are still rooted in the late-60’s. For better or worse, Goats Head Soup was fresh and modern for it’s time. I’m my opinion, it’s weaker than the two LP’s that preceded it, yet it’s their first truly contemporary 70’s release. Angie isn’t the ‘Brian-era’ in any way. Here’s Mick vying for credibility and relevance amongst your Elton’s and Marc Bolan’s or the 1970’s music sphere.

Posted by: welshphil ()
Date: August 31, 2023 23:02

If only they had put "Waiting on a friend "on it instead
of 'Angie. Seeing them play Heartbreaker at the Milwaukee summerfest 2015 is the highlight of all my Stones concerts ..Best thing about Angie was Silver Train was the b side, which we played endlessly in my local pub..,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-31 23:03 by welshphil.

Date: September 1, 2023 00:07

Big Al
I’ve said it before in previous, related threads: Goats Head Soup was the Stones’ first, true, album of the 1970’s. Both Sticky Fingers and - though be it, to a lesser extent - Exile on Main Street, are still rooted in the late-60’s. For better or worse, Goats Head Soup was fresh and modern for it’s time. I’m my opinion, it’s weaker than the two LP’s that preceded it, yet it’s their first truly contemporary 70’s release. Angie isn’t the ‘Brian-era’ in any way. Here’s Mick vying for credibility and relevance amongst your Elton’s and Marc Bolan’s or the 1970’s music sphere.

That's an interesting take. Hadn't thought about that, but there is a fair amount of truth in that.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: September 1, 2023 02:56

Big Al

Astute observations there though to me a 60s haze still lingers over the album as they grapple with coming to terms with the 70s and the shape of the then-current line-up. The Stones really departed the 60s on IORR but even then they include a cover of a song from the decade.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 1, 2023 03:30

ROCKMAN

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 1, 2023 09:25

Big Al

Great insight- but totally wrong.
Sticky and Exile were VERY 1970s, the hope, peace and love, the acid dream was over.
This was the 1970s-music based in reality,ups and downs,friends passing away,loneliness of being away from home,heroin and cocaine and the blues.there was no 60s shit in that music.
Mick “ vying for credibility” is laughable.The Stones existed in the stratosphere in 73. A place only the Beatles had been and Zep were just getting a glimpse of.
Guys like Elton and T. Rex were just starting their careers, they were children compared to the Stones.
It’s funny how wrong you got it- Angie is Absolutely “Brian era” - a beautiful ballad in the realm of As tears go by ,Blue Turns to Grey or Lady Jane.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: September 1, 2023 10:05

TIRED
The French Rolling Stone issue Sept. 2023 has a long article on the 50th anniversary of GHS plus an interesting (albeit AI created) cover:

I love this cover
Keith is the Borg Queen
And quite exploratory of the future cyborg Stones

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 1, 2023 13:43

lem motlow
Big Al

Sticky and Exile were VERY 1970s, the hope, peace and love, the acid dream was over.
This was the 1970s-music based in reality,ups and downs,friends passing away,loneliness of being away from home,heroin and cocaine and the blues.there was no 60s shit in that music.
Mick “ vying for credibility” is laughable.The Stones existed in the stratosphere in 73. A place only the Beatles had been and Zep were just getting a glimpse of.
Guys like Elton and T. Rex were just starting their careers, they were children compared to the Stones.
It’s funny how wrong you got it- Angie is Absolutely “Brian era” - a beautiful ballad in the realm of As tears go by ,Blue Turns to Grey or Lady Jane.

Ha! Well, we're all entitled to our differing opinions, I suppose. I still stand by my points. Yours are valid, too, of course. thumbs up

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 1, 2023 15:06

Big Al
lem motlow
Big Al

Ha! Well, we're all entitled to our differing opinions, I suppose. I still stand by my points. Yours are valid, too, of course. thumbs up

Yeah, I'm not sure opinions be "wrong" haha

For me, Sticky Fingers is very polished and concise, Exile is rockin' lofi (almost a throwback to 50's music) and sprawling, while Goats is dim and druggy—a cloudy comedown. The song that perfectly encapsulates this is "Coming Down Again".

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2184
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home