Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: ALBUM TALK: Goats Head Soup
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 1, 2015 20:43

FP
Munichhilton
If I had 5 favorites...this is #1...its gotta be my homemade vesion that includes Save Me, Through The Lonely Nights, Separately and a few others. Just a fantastic piece of recorded history.

Bobby Keys is great

Could you send me the track list for your alternate GHS? Thanks, interested to hear what you had in mind!

I'd like to know as well!

Posted by: FP ()
Date: September 2, 2015 17:28

I used to hate this album but have gradually got into it over the years. I think knowing the state most of the band were in at the time helps you appreciate that they did a surprisingly good job. Also some of the weaker albums that followed have made it seem better that it is in retrospect.

It is so close to being really good. I wish there were a few more tracks on it actually as it always seemed to miss a few more rockers to give it more contrast.

For me the killer blow to this being a classic is the lack of Keith guitar. There seems to be a big hole in each song where Keith should be layering which is filled by keyboard. Dancing with Mr D is the only real riff that jumps out.

The only tunes I don't like are Coming Down Again which is boring and depressing and Angie which is a bit cheesy. Everything else I can enjoy so considering most LPs have a bit of filler that is not a bad average.

Date: September 2, 2015 17:34

FP
I used to hate this album but have gradually got into it over the years. I think knowing the state most of the band were in at the time helps you appreciate that they did a surprisingly good job. Also some of the weaker albums that followed have made it seem better that it is in retrospect.

It is so close to being really good. I wish there were a few more tracks on it actually as it always seemed to miss a few more rockers to give it more contrast.

For me the killer blow to this being a classic is the lack of Keith guitar. There seems to be a big hole in each song where Keith should be layering which is filled by keyboard. Dancing with Mr D is the only real riff that jumps out.

The only tunes I don't like are Coming Down Again which is boring and depressing and Angie which is a bit cheesy. Everything else I can enjoy so considering most LPs have a bit of filler that is not a bad average.

Was it more than one weaker album that followed?

Posted by: FP ()
Date: September 4, 2015 19:29

I think some of the albums after are actually maybe stronger in content but I am not really a big fan of the sound of B&B or Some Girls (even if they have better songs overall).

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: December 7, 2018 19:54

I have always thought why was Angie track 5, I think the track listings could of been better placed better and maybe the album would of been received better when it first came out.

Maybe just change the first two songs to:

Heartbreaker
Angie

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 8, 2018 15:36

I've struggled to like this album through the years, some great songs and playing but I'm not a huge fan.

In thinking about why, the only thing I come up with is this. The songwriting is still strong, the playing is still at a high level, but it feels uninspired like they're going through the motions.

And maybe that's why I don't like it, because it's the first time in their catalogue that we see this. I think it's their worst album in the 70's, and perhaps my least favourite until we get to Dirty Work.

With that said, I still give it 3.5 stars, which I think is a pretty compelling argument for the Stones first 20 years in recorded music.

Date: December 8, 2018 19:31

I was listening and playing Angie on acoustic and I thought Angie could be the only song started with harmonic at 12th fret. It just a great opening intro I am sure Keith had something to do with it along with MT. I can not see Jagger coming up with the intro.

Date: December 8, 2018 19:39

OpenG
I was listening and playing Angie on acoustic and I thought Angie could be the only song started with harmonic at 12th fret. It just a great opening intro I am sure Keith had something to do with it along with MT. I can not see Jagger coming up with the intro.

'Roundabout' by Yes starts with a harmonic up there.

Date: December 8, 2018 19:56

Posted by: Palace Revolution 2000 ()
Date: December 8, 2018 19:39

OpenG

'Roundabout' by Yes starts with a harmonic up there.

Yes Steve Howie does a little bit more with his greatness LOL That guy is awmzing he can stretch is pinky finger many frets which always amazed me

Date: December 8, 2018 20:10

OpenG

"Wild Horses" is another nice examples with Harmonics.

Date: December 8, 2018 21:10

Posted by: TheflyingDutchman ()

OpenG

Yes is that with the Nashville tuned 12 string - For me there has always been a mystery of who played what on WH - I only learned like 15 years ago that it was Keith on the electric clean solo and not MT If you listen to the WH outtakes on the boots, Keith's solo is so bad you wonder how he got to the final clean electric version. I always thought MT played the solo until I joined the stones forums and learned how wrong I was. Wild Horses has so many great guitar parts and its like Stairway To Heaven with all the different guitar parts. Keith was a genius with his solo as he used the notes of the chords to base his solo.

Posted by: stabilo ()
Date: December 9, 2018 00:03

are you for real lad winter boring for starters you are weapon

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: December 9, 2018 01:15

'you are weapon'

Date: December 9, 2018 03:01

peoplewitheyes
'you are weapon'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-09 03:02 by NeverMakeASaintOfMe.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 9, 2018 03:10

A great weapon would be a nice deluxe with extra tracks, we all know which ones for certain and whatever else, plus maybe another live show, properly remastered.

Date: December 9, 2018 08:22

stabilo

Is it me ? What is said here?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 10, 2018 15:24

Palace Revolution 2000
stabilo

Is it me ? What is said here?

perhaps he's not entirely stabilo?

Posted by: CamRS ()
Date: December 10, 2018 21:24

For me, I think this is when being “exiled” and heavy drug use started taking its toll on the band and impacting the choices they made both musically and production-wise – especially with the mixing of the album.

On one hand, you have songs like Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker), Angie, Silver Train, Hide Your Love, Winter and Starf*cker that showed that the band was still able to create good-to-great songs. On the other hand, you have a song like Can You Hear The Music, which is the only song in the Jimmy Miller era that I skip over.

Unfortunately, in order to get to the good-great, you have to go through three slower placed song (minus the ending to 100 Years). DWMD, 100 Years Ago and Coming Down Again aren’t bad songs, but I don’t think they’re strong enough to be the first three songs. I think the album would have been served better if a song with more “punch” had kicked it off.

I created my own version of the GHS I enjoy listening to that includes Criss Cross Man/Save Me as the lead song and then follows the same order as the original GHS, except for replacing Can You Hear The Music with Fast Talking, Slow Walking.

Criss Cross Man/Save Me
Dancing with Mr. D
100 Years Ago
Coming Down Again
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Angie
Silver Train
Hide Your Love
Winter
Fast Talking, Slow Walking
Starf*cker

-Cam

Date: December 11, 2018 20:33

We usually quote the same songs as weak spots for GHS.
IMO it is the rockers who fall flat; is it the mix, the mastering, the studio?
Because the performances are on.
"Mr D" suffers from a lame mix.
"@#$%&" sounds like it is coming from under your bed.
"Silver Train" - bad mastering.
And the one that really sags under its own weight is 'Heartbreaker"; the verses are passable, but that chorus, never takes off. I can see how it should, and would've, but it don't. same thing live.

Like Cam said you got "Criss Cross" and "fast Talking" which both in raw boot-form rock harder than the album tracks.

Date: December 12, 2018 01:15

What was it, it took Keith over a week to get the bass line for Heartbreaker right? He was probably heavy on the ganj at the time.

Goat's Head Soup revisited, ranked & rated
Posted by: mkbbcmr ()
Date: May 20, 2023 10:55

Inspired by the Track Talk discussing "100 Years Ago" and the wildly controversial evaluations of "Goat's Head Soup" therein (from "work of genius" to "worst Stones album ever") I revisited this often underrated LP for the umpteenth time over the last few days. True, it was a bit of a disappointment (to put it mildly) when it first came out in 1973 but then any album following "Exile" would have been. It has grown in stature ever since, though, thanks to a bunch of brilliant tracks that clearly have stood the test of time as far as I am concerned: ranked and rated...

1. Winter * * * * *
2. 100 Years Ago * * * * *
3. Coming Down Again * * * * *
4. Angie * * * * *
5. Hide Your Love * * * * *
6. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) * * * * 1/2
7. Dancing With Mr. D * * * *
8. Star Star * * * *
9. Silver Train * * * *
10. Can You Hear The Music * * * 1/2

That makes "Goat's Head Soup" my 10th favourite Stones album out of their 23 official UK studio albums so far.

Re: Goat's Head Soup revisited, ranked & rated
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 20, 2023 12:52

If I'd been at the controls I would have released a double album......

I put this compilation together from the recent 2020 release of GHS deluxe..........

a) All The Rage
Silver Train - GHS '73
Hide Your Love - Alternate Mix
Heartbreaker - Glyn Johns 1973 Mix

b) Winter - GHS '73
Dancing With Mr D - Glyn Johns 1973 Mix
Star Star - GHS '73
Angie - GHS '73

c) 100 Years Ago (Glyn Johns Remix) - Japanese bonus track
Scarlet
Criss Cross
Coming down again - GHS '73

d) Can You Hear The Music - GHS 1973
100 Years Ago - Piano Demo
Dancing With Mr D - Instrumental
Heartbreaker - Instrumental
Can You Hear The Music (Glyn Johns Remix) - Japanese bonus track

GHS was my first and still is my favourite - this compilation, to me, is mouth watering - fantastic.....esp. Hide your love.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-05-20 18:54 by EddieByword.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 20, 2023 18:29

FP
I think some of the albums after are actually maybe stronger in content but I am not really a big fan of the sound of B&B or Some Girls (even if they have better songs overall).

The SOUND of Black & Blue is OUTSTANDING. The last great sounding record by ANYONE I reckon. Clear, yet Stones-muddy in parts, loud , yet not compressed-loud wars loud, shimmery and sonically sensational. I don’t like Melody or Cherry oh Baby as SONGS so much, but they SOUND wonderful.

COMPARED TO, for instance, IORR, which is just dull as bat shit SOUNDING.

Rod

Re: Goat's Head Soup revisited, ranked & rated
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 20, 2023 20:31

I would have put Separately,Through theLonely Nights,Travelin Man, Hillside Blues , Waiting on a Friend

Date: May 20, 2023 20:57

GasLightStreet
What was it, it took Keith over a week to get the bass line for Heartbreaker right? He was probably heavy on the ganj at the time.

Heroine, Coke, Alcohol and Barbiturates to be precise. Ganj was just a @#$%& futility and you know it. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 20, 2023 21:35

I got the new remix on SHM CD. It totally changed my mind about the album. Now it sounds like a soul album to me. It has its own character, and not just a followup to Exile.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: May 20, 2023 21:40

A desert island disc for me. I like feelings, emotions and all that. I don´t want to change anything.

Date: May 21, 2023 06:18

OpenG
Posted by: TheflyingDutchman ()

OpenG

Yes is that with the Nashville tuned 12 string - For me there has always been a mystery of who played what on WH - I only learned like 15 years ago that it was Keith on the electric clean solo and not MT If you listen to the WH outtakes on the boots, Keith's solo is so bad you wonder how he got to the final clean electric version. I always thought MT played the solo until I joined the stones forums and learned how wrong I was. Wild Horses has so many great guitar parts and its like Stairway To Heaven with all the different guitar parts. Keith was a genius with his solo as he used the notes of the chords to base his solo.

IN regard to the octave note for Angie, you can bet that Keith said, This will work.

He probably wasn't thinking of the end result, if there was one, given the way they work(ed).

Not a big deal.

Turns out to be one of their bigger singles. Oddly, possibly in regard to 1972's attitude, it became a huge song, and the intro, the only time it's ever happened with the Stones... but we all know what song it is when it's on the radio or whatever. The beauty of The Rolling Stones.

Date: May 22, 2023 05:45

OpenG
I have always thought why was Angie track 5, I think the track listings could of been better placed better and maybe the album would of been received better when it first came out.

Maybe just change the first two songs to:

Heartbreaker
Angie

There seemed to be a general rule that track 2 of an LP was the trailer prior to LP release, and then whatever from side 1 was the next single(s).

Also, though, the aspect of 'what's catchy?' is obviously important and that's where/why Heartbreaker is the second single.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 22, 2023 06:12

For me Goats is the 3rd best album in their catalog. I’ve always loved and it only grew with the release of the Super Deluxe and those Glyn Johns remixed songs.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home