Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: ALBUM TALK: Goats Head Soup
Posted by: blivet ()
Date: August 10, 2015 23:07

with sssoul
Cool - thanks Deltics! That first one (fauns?) is a bit iffy (especially whoever that is on the far right eye popping smiley )
but the centaurs are all right! Did they kibosh it because Keith came out looking 700% hotter than anyone else? :E

If I'm remembering right it was Keith who objected to the faun/centaur idea. He thought it was "poofy" or something like that.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 10, 2015 23:52

Well, my. I've never seen that picture of Keith. And I've seen a lot of Keith. So yes, mighty fine, although my favorite handsome Keith period is when Patti first got a hold of him. Keith in the 80's. That's my, my, and my.

ETA: I really don't care for any of the GHS artwork/ covers :-/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-10 23:53 by 35love.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 10, 2015 23:54

always liked the atmosphere of goats head soup. amazing how like many other rolling stones albums, some people love this and some hate it.

star star
heartbreaker
silver train
angie

are great songs.

hide your love
winter
dancing with mr d
coming down again
can you hear the music
100 years ago

range from good to filler.

its so different from what went before, which is another skill the stones seem to master better than most bands.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 10, 2015 23:59

35love
Well, my. I've never seen that picture of Keith. And I've seen a lot of Keith.

This one, you mean? Just to be sure :E

- 1973 by Aubrey Powell

They should've just used that as the GHS cover art.

Date: August 11, 2015 00:02

Save it for the front cover of GHS Deluxe winking smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 11, 2015 00:21

Original uncropped pics.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: August 11, 2015 00:24

with sssoul
CloudCat
latebloomer

in the faun mock-up, which of them would this picture be combined with?

I bet they hadn't taken that photo yet when they were horsing the faun idea around.
That squatting faun on the right really troubles me. Let's talk about the centaurs instead.

yeah, i agree about that particular faun depiction. this photo couldn't be used on the squatting faun, though - body physics would be all wrong, wouldn't it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-11 00:25 by CloudCat.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 11, 2015 07:05

Cripe, I take it back, they (Keith! always Mick) looked HOT on Voodoo Lounge tour, past my 80's claim (superficially speaking)
Cryin' in my cups Oh how I wished I saw them on that tour.

Still haven't gone back to visit some GHS tracks I haven't heard in years, said earlier wasn't drawn to- could be some unmined gold for me perhaps. Been into video's lately.

Thanks for the laughs here--

Date: August 11, 2015 09:51

Deltics
Original uncropped pics.

Thank you Deltics! I wonder who loaned Keith the underwear, and why :E

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 11, 2015 09:54

only one of the two looks like a rock star in those pics...

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 11, 2015 11:20

Wow, I have never seen those pics before, although I remember reading about the centaurs in Rolling With The Stones. The centaur pic is pretty funny. Interesting variation in haircuts too. Mick apparently cut his hair before Charlie did (unless they used an old picture of Charlie).

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: August 11, 2015 12:10

Mickboy's 'Dancing So Free' suffers from the same sound as most of his work; too much reverb! I recall initial listenings to his stuff, and seemingly the sound was more clear, but on subsequent listenings, the ammount of reverb (or whatever he uses) does make them sound different. Some people like that, some don't. I prefer the originals.

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: August 11, 2015 16:33

Never really liked this album. There are some good tracks but it doesn't work as an album, nor does the next two following albums, then came Some girls and that's when they were on the right track again, just my opinion......

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 11, 2015 16:39

Goats Head Soup and IORR work as albums. Each isn't as good as the EOMS album and suffer by comparison only (that was bound to happen when you release an album like EOMS).

But they're also simply different albums, successful to extent that I believe both sold pretty well. So somebody was into those albums smiling smiley

Date: August 11, 2015 17:46

There are many very good songs on GHS, but in my opinion that particular collection of songs don't fit together to make a great album.

It's ballad-heavy for one, the sound is uneven and not up to par in places and overall it lacks energy.

Some songs are fantastic, though (Angie, Coming Down Again, Can't You Hear The Music). Star Star, Silver Train and Dancing With Mr. D are too weak to be corner stone rockers on a Stones album, imo. Especially the two latter songs.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 11, 2015 18:07

Matt
then came Some girls and that's when they were on the right track again, just my opinion......

then came Ron Wood and that's when they were on the right track again, just my opinion......

Date: August 11, 2015 21:42

Deltics
Original uncropped pics.

does it look like the photographer asked them to pose a la centaur? it doesn't seem to work so well with the faun sketch with Mick's photo overlaid....

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: August 11, 2015 21:42

whats the best boot for quality outtakes of GHS and songs from this era that didnt make the cut?

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: August 11, 2015 22:08

DandelionPowderman
Star Star, Silver Train and Dancing With Mr. D are too weak to be corner stone rockers on a Stones album, imo. Especially the two latter songs.

Star Star immediately suffered from the burden of it's name. Who the hell calls that song that dumbass name in that context at that time? Would've been better off calling it 'Censored' or something equally as stupid if only to make a point. Like most the rest of GHS, the sound of it sucks. Nobody had ever heard the Stones so poorly recorded - that ridiculous live album whose name escapes me being the only exception. The hook is decent. Would have liked to have heard it as a shuffle with Louis Jordan horn lines.

Silver Train, for me, could've been a great song in their catalogue. The chorus hook and the bridge hook are irresistable. Again, poorly mastered thus dead on arrival. A horn section (as heard in the 73 live versions) would've added a lot.
Should've made it a showcase for their lead guitarist.

DWMD is all of the above plus its inane lyric/subject. Could've been great as well.

Date: August 11, 2015 22:18

CloudCat
Deltics

does it look like the photographer asked them to pose a la centaur? it doesn't seem to work so well with the faun sketch with Mick's photo overlaid....

It looks to me like Keith was in a bolshy mood and refused to faun on anybody. :E

Date: August 11, 2015 22:44

with sssoul
CloudCat
Deltics

It looks to me like Keith was in a bolshy mood and refused to faun on anybody. :E

hmmmm.... i dunno
he put on those centaur pantaloons....

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: August 12, 2015 01:00

I visited Dynamic Sound last year. It's pretty run-down, a testament to Jamaica and its music business in general. But it probably hasn't changed much over the years, as the ABBA sticker indicates. Cat Stevens recorded Foreigner there a few months after the Stones left.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-12 01:31 by DeanGoodman.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 12, 2015 01:06

kammpberg
For anybody interested in a long, in depth review - here's mine:

Goats Head Soup – 1973 (US #1; UK#1)
Dancing With Mr. D • 100 Years Ago • Coming Down Again • Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) • Angie •
Silver Train • Hide Your Love • Winter • Can You Hear The Music • Star Star (@#$%&)

Stones Fan – *****
Casual Listener - ****

Goats Head Soup is in many ways, the most interesting Stones album. Without a doubt, it is the most underrated album in their canon, even by The Stones themselves. Yet, it is a perfect distillation of Exile On Main Street. Take Exile’s sprawling landscapes and styles and make it more concise and you have Goats Head Soup. If Exile was a triple album, this would slide in perfectly without the slightest dip in quality. Plus this album has something that Exile didn’t, a blockbuster single that was also a tremendous piece of art. Goats Head Soup peaked at #1 on both sides of the pond topping the US chart for 4 weeks. It also included a very cool, yet creepy “Goats Head Soup” poster insert that characterized the music perfectly.

Unlike Sticky Fingers and Exile, which opened with blistering rock tracks, the mysterious vibe of this album starts off with the opening guitar notes. Jagger starts singing about being down at the graveyard and one can picture oneself with him in some Louisiana swamp. Dancing With Mr. D picks up a nice steady groove, with Charlie slightly behind the beat as only had can. The song absolutely oozes with a loose and muddy feel, slightly speeding up as it moves along – something fairly unique with the Stones. Jagger’s vocals are buried in the mix (like Exile), and it works perfectly along with the occasional background howls. One has to struggle to understand the lyrics, and that makes it even more effective. I wish the Stones mixed the vocals like this nowadays. I’ve heard people compare this song to Sympathy For The Devil, but that’s just plain silly. If you want to hear some true Stones’ Jamaican “Voodoo Lounge”, jump right in here. Dancing With Mr. D was only played live on their 1973 tour, but they did use it to promote the album on Don Kirschner’s Rock Concert on US TV.

100 Years Ago opens with a tasteful Billy Preston clavinet introduction and Mick takes us on a journey through the woods the other day. Again the vocals are down and the mix is muddy but it creates a warm encompassing mood. After the intro, the band kicks in with a buoyant upbeat feel. After two versus, Taylor comes in with a wah wah solo but again its buried in the background. Then the song comes to a stop and Jagger starts singing about “lazy bones ain’t got no time to waste away”. This is a downright strange interlude – almost tagged on from another song. It’s brief and the band kicks back in with a truly vicious jam led by keyboards and the wah wah guitar wailing in the background till it fades out.

Coming Down Again is a magnificent ballad led by Keith on vocals and supported by Nicky Hopkins’ beautiful piano and heavy wah wah guitar. Keith’s voice is clear and upfront and absolutely magnificent, with Jagger helping on background vocals perfectly. Keith confesses about slipping his tongue in someone else’s pie, but being hungry it ain’t no crime. After a couple of versus, the song reaches even higher when Hopkin’s piano leads into a phenomenal solo break shared by organ and saxophone. It’s relatively short and segues back into the Coming Down Again verse, but it’s so effective. The Stones have an amazing amount of these phenomenal tracks that should be played, but are long lost, just waiting to be re-discovered.
Another exciting keyboard intro, Charlie’s drums kick in and Jagger sings about a tale of police mistaken identity and the death of a lone junkie in an alleyway. Heady stuff but backed by intoxicating upbeat music highlighted with horn accents, wah wah guitar and an infectious “Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo” chorus. This is hit material and a classic in my book. Heartbreaker is still performed in concert on occasion, it’s always a highlight for me. This was the 2nd US single (none for the UK) and it peaked at #15.

Angie comes next. It’s simply amongst the most well crafted ballads the bands ever done. It’s simply perfect. Jagger’s vocals have never been better (even when he tastefully whispers “Angie”), the lyrics are beautiful and the music is magnificent. The strings tastefully weave in and out along with the beautiful guitar fills and licks. Charlie’s high hat accents throughout are also a trademark of the song. The song is shorter and tighter than Wild Horses and consequently became a well deserved #1 US single (only #5 in the UK). Angie is a classic in every way.

Silver Train starts off side two. Compared to the rest of the album, it comes off a bit pedestrian and the muddy mix takes away from what could have been a truly powerful rocker. This time Jagger uses harmonica to highlight the verses to nice effect and slide guitar running throughout. When it’s time to solo, we get a nice slide guitar solo with Charlie fully riding the cymbal. Jagger raises his voice now, howling about the Silver Train and the song picks up considerable speed. But again the muddy mix distracts from its power. I still prefer the Stones version over the better-known Johnny Winter cover and surprisingly the Stones used this on Kirschner’s to promote the album as well.

Mick Jagger starts bopping on piano singing about sometimes being up and sometimes being down. Again the vocals are down in the mix and one gets the feeling of being in a room with The Stones doing a spontaneous jam on this song. A nice guitar solo starts to kick in and Hide Your Love builds in its power. What at first seems like a loose jam starts to coalesce into a fun loose song. Exile has a few of these type of jam songs, and Hide Your Love is just as good as them.

Next comes one of the all-time lost classic Stones tracks, Winter. I can listen to this song anytime, anywhere. It’s one of the all time great Stones ballads and it should be a regular on classic radio. The song starts with un-accompanied strummed electric guitar and Jagger this time sings clear and up in the mix about a cold hard Winter. At the end of the 2nd verse, one can quickly hear someone yell “yeah” deep in the background, and you feel it too. Jagger wishes he were out in California but instead he’ll wrap his coat around you. Nicky Hopkins piano comes in, as do the strings to bring you ever higher, but the electric guitar and slide licks really bring it home. As you think the songs ending, in comes a tasteful electric guitar solo, string highlights come in and you’re truly lifting higher and higher. At 5:30 it’s too long and not crafted enough for a single, but album ballads don’t come any better.

Suddenly we hear some odd middle-eastern sounds, joined by an infectious heavy wah wah guitar lick. Jagger sings over this tribal beat “Can You Hear The Music / Magic” and at the minute mark the song transforms with Jagger singing about “love is a mystery” with a beautiful melody. Throughout we have wonderful backdrops of sound: wah wahs, drums, eastern drones and strange horn sounds. It’s very effective and haunting. The song stops and in starts the great wah wah guitar lick that started it. By now we can feel the music and magic as Jagger goes back into the “love is a mystery” verse. The song does not feel forced at all, it’s very organic and natural – as if were in a great tribal jam with The Stones and some Arabian musicians. Open up and this music will really grab you.

Next up is Star Star (@#$%&), the only “classic sounding Chuck Berryish” Stones tune on the album. It’s a great way to end the album. We all know the controversy regarding the various lyrics (giving head to Steve McQueen etc), and because of that the vocal lyrics are seriously buried in the mix and in some points nearly impossible to decipher. When Virgin remastered the album, they cleaned it up in the mix and you were able to more clearly hear about “keeping pussy’s clean and getting John Wayne before he dies”. The new Universal mix seems to be closer to the original muddy mix. The song is a classic Stones rocker regardless and is still a highlight when they play it (especially with the blow-up penis on the ’75 / ’76 tour).

So there you have Goats Head Soup, the Stones all-time underrated album, even though it was a US #1 for 4 weeks and has Angie, a perfect #1 single. This album literally takes you on a musical journey, ala Exile On Main Street, but in a more concise way. This album has as many highs as Exile and no real lows and is just ripe for discovery for any Stones fan or casual listener who’s willing to let music envelop their senses. This album is in no way a let down from what came before. The Stones have only regularly played Angie, Heartbreaker and @#$%& live. Dancing With Mr. D, 100 Years Ago and Silver Train made in some cases rare live debuts only on the 1973 tour and the others have never been played live. But it’s not because of the quality, they just aren’t really live type songs.

Great review, I have always loved the album. One of my favourites.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: August 31, 2015 22:42

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

42 Years Ago: The Rolling Stones Come Down on ‘Goats Head Soup’

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 31, 2015 23:08

DeanGoodman
I visited Dynamic Sound last year. It's pretty run-down, a testament to Jamaica and its music business in general. But it probably hasn't changed much over the years, as the ABBA sticker indicates. Cat Stevens recorded Foreigner there a few months after the Stones left.

smileys with beer

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: September 1, 2015 00:01

Great Thread guys, yes an absolute beautiful album, most underated, When the time is done and the final jury is out this will be deemed a classic master.It's one of only a few albums you can play all the way through.I think this is one of the most honest records you will hear, done Beggars- Let It Bleed, Ya Ya's - Sticky Fingers- Exile - WTF do you do next - Go to Jamica and record a chill out record, - five stars from me thumbs up

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: September 1, 2015 00:21

Agree, good thread this. Only disappointment being the first track which is a real let down, after that it's pretty strong especially 100 Years, Heartbreaker and Coming Down Again. Silver Train could have been so much better with a clearer production. Would rate this alongside Black and Blue in the 2nd tier of albums

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: September 1, 2015 19:42

Tonstone
Great Thread guys, yes an absolute beautiful album, most underated, When the time is done and the final jury is out this will be deemed a classic master.It's one of only a few albums you can play all the way through.I think this is one of the most honest records you will hear, done Beggars- Let It Bleed, Ya Ya's - Sticky Fingers- Exile - WTF do you do next - Go to Jamica and record a chill out record, - five stars from me thumbs up

Yes indeed!

Posted by: FP ()
Date: September 1, 2015 20:18

Munichhilton
If I had 5 favorites...this is #1...its gotta be my homemade vesion that includes Save Me, Through The Lonely Nights, Separately and a few others. Just a fantastic piece of recorded history.

Bobby Keys is great

Could you send me the track list for your alternate GHS? Thanks, interested to hear what you had in mind!

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 1, 2015 20:42

I love Dancing With Mr. D and its bluesy voodoo vibe.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1950
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home