Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
ALBUM TALK: Goats Head Soup
Date: August 6, 2015 20:35

GOATS HEAD SOUP:

Recorded:

October 17-31, 1970: Rolling Stones Mobile Unit, Mick Jagger's home Stargroves, Newbury & Olympic Sound Studios, London, England;
November 25-30, 1972: Dynamic Sound Studios, Kingston, Jamaica
December 6-13, 1972: Dynamic Sound Studios, Kingston, Jamaica
January 16-18, 1973: SIR Studios, Los Angeles, USA
May 23-June 20, 1973: Island Recording Studios, London, England

Mixed:

May 23-June 20, 1973: Island Recording Studios, London, England
Mid-August 1973: Soundpush Studios, Blaricum, Netherlands

Producer: Jimmy Miller
Chief engineer: Andy Johns
Mixer: Andy Johns
Released: August 1973
Original label: Rolling Stones Records (on WEA)

Contributing musicians:

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman, Mick Taylor, Nicky Hopkins, Ian Stewart, Billy Preston, Bobby Keys, Jim Price, Jim Horn, Chuck Findley, Jimmy Miller, Rebop, Pascal, Nick Harrison (arranger).

Dancing with Mr. D
100 Years Ago
Coming Down Again
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Angie
Silver Train
Hide Your Love
Winter
Can You Hear the Music
Star Star

What are your thoughts on this album?

Re: ALBUM TALK: Goats Head Soup
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 6, 2015 20:51

Well look at the song titles, what can i say. Pure unadulterated unquestionable pleasure, and so much more than words can describe actually. That's Goats Head Soup..

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 6, 2015 20:55

Kick ass record. Right up there with anything they've ever done, imo. Perhaps the last gasp of true rock greatness from this band.

Certainly the point at which heroin started to turn against many of the players in the Stones circle, Keith, Anita, Andy Johns and Jimmy Miller being the most obvious examples although I think Bobby Keys and others were equally feeling the negative ramification of addiction at this time.

I wish more footage and stories of the making of this record were around. I've seen no video of the Jamaican Stones from 1973 and precious few photographs. Strange that there isn't a trace of a reggae feel about the record considering where they were.

Billy Preston was fantastic on this one. RIP Billy.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: August 6, 2015 20:59

I find myself listening to this disc so often and its 100 years ago - silver train - hide your love & Winter that keep me coming back... Love it

Date: August 6, 2015 21:04

Naturalust
Kick ass record. Right up there with anything they've ever done, imo. Perhaps the last gasp of true rock greatness from this band.

Certainly the point at which heroin started to turn against many of the players in the Stones circle, Keith, Anita, Andy Johns and Jimmy Miller being the most obvious examples although I think Bobby Keys and others were equally feeling the negative ramification of addiction at this time.

I wish more footage and stories of the making of this record were around. I've seen no video of the Jamaican Stones from 1973 and precious few photographs. Strange that there isn't a trace of a reggae feel about the record considering where they were.

Sorry to be a pain Naturelust but is there any chance that you can tell us the story about your boat trip with Keith and Patti. I would love to hear it along with many others i would imagine..
Oh and sorry for being off topic..

Posted by: Axel1 ()
Date: August 6, 2015 21:04

In my top 5, a truly underrated classic, absolutely fantastic.
I love it.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 6, 2015 21:05

Naturalust

Not just Billy. Everybody pictured on the album insert except Jim Horn is no longer with us.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: August 6, 2015 21:11

keefriffhards
Naturalust

Sorry to be a pain Naturelust but is there any chance that you can tell us the story about your boat trip with Keith and Patti. I would love to hear it along with many others i would imagine..

No worries, I will probably get around to telling the story in greater detail someday, I was actually waiting to find a couple pictures to accompany the story to embellish it and show how absolutely beautiful Patti was at that time. This is not the thread to tell it though and fyi it was 2 boats rides, not just one!....and one party which went on all night and half the next morning.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: August 6, 2015 21:14

I like this album. Love the side one

Date: August 6, 2015 21:24

Naturalust
keefriffhards
Naturalust

No worries, I will probably get around to telling the story in greater detail someday, I was actually waiting to find a couple pictures to accompany the story to embellish it and show how absolutely beautiful Patti was at that time. This is not the thread to tell it though and fyi it was 2 boats rides, not just one!....and one party which went on all night and half the next morning.

OMG this is what dreams are made of.
Will there ever be a thread to include it.
Im not starting a thread saying please NL can you tell us the full story lol ;

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 6, 2015 21:29

Hummm... never cared too much for this. Most part of the album is boring, a few songs are quite good but offer nothing remarkable new, Stones-by-numbers & Chuck-Berry-routine, sometimes done in a quite enjoyable way, but nothing really exciting. Listening to this album I always have a "The Stones imitating the Stones"-feeling. A big yawn is always underway.

Dancing with Mr. D----------- very bad start for the album. Never liked this song.
100 Years Ago----starts nice but soon becomes very boring.
Coming Down Again----pretty much like 100 years, nice start but going nowhere....but less boring than 100 Years.
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)----partly striking, partly very odd.
Angie---- horrible, honestly I never liked it.
Silver Train---funny, but...
Hide Your Love---- the number I like the best.
Winter---- boring, boring, boring, boring.
Can You Hear the Music----sounds like psychodelic leftover from TSMR-period, cant stand it. Not only weird-sounding but boring too.
Star Star---- quite all right, the Stones in Chuck-Berry-mood. But somehow it does not sparkle the way it should have.

Even the Stones cannot deliver masterpieces all the time. After a handful really great albums, this one almost totally fails, imo. Very few highlights on this one, I wouldnt say it sucks completely, but overall it´s damn boring to my ears. The only tracks I would pick for a compilation are Hide Your Love and Star Star.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 6, 2015 21:39

If I had 5 favorites...this is #1...its gotta be my homemade vesion that includes Save Me, Through The Lonely Nights, Separately and a few others. Just a fantastic piece of recorded history.

Bobby Keys is great

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 6, 2015 21:49

ROCKMAN

Date: August 6, 2015 22:07

ROCKMAN

Date: August 6, 2015 22:09

Thanks Rockee, that's one I hadn't seen before.

Date: August 6, 2015 22:12

pleasure man ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 6, 2015 22:12

Save Me could have saved this release. Obviously Keith's involvement in not up to par. Weakest album of the 70's IMO.

Date: August 6, 2015 22:27

Date: August 6, 2015 22:28

Date: August 6, 2015 22:29

Date: August 6, 2015 22:29

Date: August 6, 2015 22:31

Date: August 6, 2015 22:31

Date: August 6, 2015 22:32

Date: August 6, 2015 22:36

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: August 6, 2015 22:39

Very good record, and great to hear the tracks they played more powerful during their '73 tour.

Date: August 6, 2015 22:41

Date: August 6, 2015 22:42

Date: August 6, 2015 22:43

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: August 6, 2015 23:35

withaheadfullofsnow

Torn N Frayed

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1630
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home