Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...128129130131132133134135136137138...LastNext
Current Page: 133 of 142
Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 21, 2023 16:17

DandelionPowderman
GerardHennessy
DandelionPowderman
This time the tour is billed «Hackney Diamonds-tour». IMO, they're more confident with the material from HD than they've been with new songs for decades. My guess is that 4-5 HD-songs will be staples in the setlist.

Well a big Amen to that Mr DP. Here's hoping! I'm more pessimistic, but then maybe I'm just old and grumpy??

There certainly are plenty of potential set-list favourites on HD. Indeed the entire album would work live. But The Stones (meaning Mick) are notoriously conservative in set-list terms, and I cannot see them 'depriving' their Classic Rock radio-listening core-audience of all their usual favourites. And there are 17-18 tracks that could be said to fit into that category. We know them all by heart now...

It would be stupid not to play Angry, Tell Me Straight and Sweet Sounds Of Heaven. Let's hope they're adding a couple more smileys with beer

Which 2 songs will they omit?

Date: November 21, 2023 16:25

NashvilleBlues
DandelionPowderman
GerardHennessy
DandelionPowderman
This time the tour is billed «Hackney Diamonds-tour». IMO, they're more confident with the material from HD than they've been with new songs for decades. My guess is that 4-5 HD-songs will be staples in the setlist.

Well a big Amen to that Mr DP. Here's hoping! I'm more pessimistic, but then maybe I'm just old and grumpy??

There certainly are plenty of potential set-list favourites on HD. Indeed the entire album would work live. But The Stones (meaning Mick) are notoriously conservative in set-list terms, and I cannot see them 'depriving' their Classic Rock radio-listening core-audience of all their usual favourites. And there are 17-18 tracks that could be said to fit into that category. We know them all by heart now...

It would be stupid not to play Angry, Tell Me Straight and Sweet Sounds Of Heaven. Let's hope they're adding a couple more smileys with beer

Which 2 songs will they omit?

They alternated 5 songs on the Euro-tour + that 19th Nervous Breakdown and Out Of Time more or less were staples in the setlist.

Maybe it's time for MR to have a rest? Not something I would recommend, but they seem allergic to the thought of not playing TD, Miss You and SMU, so... I don't know smiling smiley

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: November 21, 2023 16:37

They will not cut the set to 17 nor 18 songs. They know fans expect a two hour stadium show and they would not announce a tour without them being sure they can deliver. I expect a new setlist with 21/22 songs as this is a new tour. Sixty tour 2022 had them continuing the No filter tour setlist and even the visuals were the same, just remodelled for the new stage. This time it will be all new. They kicked off the no filter tour with 22 songs in 2017 after only playing 18-20 in 2014-16. They can still deliver a long show in 2024.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 21, 2023 17:34

DandelionPowderman
GerardHennessy
DandelionPowderman

I will avoid the word stupidity. But sales and apparent reception should warrant regular playing live at least nine songs from HACKNEY DIAMONDS. Whether "Sweet Sounds of Heaven" can be included among those, may depend on their having to make an alternative version of it.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 21, 2023 17:34

I personally hope Sweet Sounds replaces YCAGWYW.

Posted by: ThumpinJackFlash ()
Date: November 21, 2023 17:41

This is my Hackney Diamonds tour 2024 setlist prediction:

1. Street Fighting Man
2. Angry
3. Let’s Spend The Night Together
4. Tumbling Dice
5. Out Of Time
6. Depending On You
7. Whole Wide World
8. You Can’t Always Get What You Want
9. Honky Tonk Women
10. Tell Me Straight
11. Happy
12. Miss You
13. Midnight Rambler
14. Paint It Black
15. Start Me Up
16. Gimme Shelter
17. Sympathy For The Devil
18. Jumpin’ Jack Flash

19. Sweet Sounds Of Heaven
20. Satisfaction

Just what I think is realistic. Of course it’ll change up a bit night to night. But I think Angry, SSOH and Tell Me Straight are shoo ins from HD. And I think Out Of Time performed well enough last year to stick around.

Date: November 21, 2023 19:32

Witness
DandelionPowderman
GerardHennessy
DandelionPowderman

I will avoid the word stupidity. But sales and apparent reception should warrant regular playing live at least nine songs from HACKNEY DIAMONDS. Whether "Sweet Sounds of Heaven" can be included among those, may depend on their having to make an alternative version of it.

They played it very much like on the album at the Racket, so I doubt they'll rearrange it.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: November 21, 2023 19:34

ThumpinJackFlash
This is my Hackney Diamonds tour 2024 setlist prediction:

1. Street Fighting Man
2. Angry
3. Let’s Spend The Night Together
4. Tumbling Dice
5. Out Of Time
6. Depending On You
7. Whole Wide World
9. Honky Tonk Women
10. Tell Me Straight
11. Happy
12. Miss You
13. Midnight Rambler
14. Paint It Black
15. Start Me Up
16. Gimme Shelter
17. Sympathy For The Devil
18. Jumpin’ Jack Flash

19. Sweet Sounds Of Heaven
20. Satisfaction

Just what I think is realistic. Of course it’ll change up a bit night to night. But I think Angry, SSOH and Tell Me Straight are shoo ins from HD. And I think Out Of Time performed well enough last year to stick around.

I'd love you to be right. I really would. And I hope you will be. However - and please don't misinterpret my scepticism for criticism - I doubt you will be. Why? Because, above all else, The Stones are now creatures of habit. And because Mick is notoriously conservative in his set-list selections. He fixates on the fact that the vast majority of fans want a warhorse stuffed set. And remember too that Hackney Diamonds has sold quite poorly in the US. After four weeks on release its trajectory has been 3 - 13 - 33 - 83 on the Billboard Top 200.

The regular contributors here on IORR are not typical of the vast majority of concert-goers. I have very chastening memories of seeing seats all around me at concerts emptying every time a non-warhorse was played. And that is over many years, and many different arenas. Some of those seat-emptying songs include Ruby Tuesday, Rocks Off, Shine A Light, Sad Sad Sad, Respectable and Hot Stuff. There were others as well.

I can't see much changing this time either. But, again, I hope I'm wrong...

Posted by: JivinSisterFanny ()
Date: November 21, 2023 21:02

There were plenty of shows without YCAGWYW and “Midnight Rambler”, “Paint it Black” in the 90s, when IORR and “Brown Sugar” were obligatory, so there is room for some shifting. As much as I’d miss “Midnight Rambler”, it could make room for a couple songs (and I’ve heard “Miss You” enough). I understand the drive for mass appeal in the shows, but there are so many songs—“Beast of Burden”, “Let’s Spend the Night”, “Wild Horses”—that are popular and beloved, and wouldn’t have to be as rare as they are. “Can’t You Hear Me Knockin’” is one of their most popular on Spotify.

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: November 21, 2023 21:04

I don't think OOT is going to be played this tour. I think it was a SIXTY treat and will be bumped for a HD number.

Date: November 21, 2023 22:40

BeastyBurdeny
I don't think OOT is going to be played this tour. I think it was a SIXTY treat and will be bumped for a HD number.

I agree about Out Of Time. I think it will be dropped. Whether it will make way for an HD track is something I await with interest. And I have noted what JivinSisterFanny has said about setlists in the 90s. My recollection is that setlists were more fluid back then. It is really in the last ten years or so that things have become more static.

The fact is that God alone knows what will happen set-list wise. I do think there will be more HD tracks in the first 3-4 concerts after which the warhorses will march back and dominate the later performances. By then there will probably be 2 or at most 3 HD tracks. At least that is what I think.

Hopefully I'm wrong!

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: November 21, 2023 23:06

Can't wait to hear "Tell me straight" live in BC Place Stadium...

But I would love to spill the beans with you till dawn

Posted by: RollstoDRSC ()
Date: November 22, 2023 01:40

Hi fanatics and all others,
for me since the song released always a must:

HIGHWIRE &

SWEET NEON CON

a third is COME TOGETHER WITH PMCCA & RINGO

Cheers DRSC (Dieter)

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 22, 2023 02:42

DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
GerardHennessy
DandelionPowderman

They played it very much like on the album at the Racket, so I doubt they'll rearrange it.

But do you expect Lady Gaga to go on tour with the Stones to perform her role in "Sweet Sounds of Heaven"?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 22, 2023 03:30

Lady Gaga might be in a certain towns at times, is what I'm thinking, such as at Sofi, or in Las Vegas.
If she and the band planned her appearances, it could happen. That might be too much to wish for.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-22 03:32 by angee.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: November 22, 2023 04:21

Jagger was pretty out of breath on several 2022 dates, I wonder if we could trade less running around on his part for a couple of additional songs.

If we get the extra nights in big cities rumored, this will be one of their longer treks in a while, if they’re feeling excited by a new record, it could be a very surprising tour indeed.

I wonder if Chuck will be on board.

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: November 22, 2023 06:54

Elmo Lewis
I personally hope Sweet Sounds replaces YCAGWYW.

I was about to write this. You Can't Always Get isn't as powerful without the choir.

Date: November 22, 2023 11:45

JivinSisterFanny
There were plenty of shows without YCAGWYW and “Midnight Rambler”, “Paint it Black” in the 90s, when IORR and “Brown Sugar” were obligatory, so there is room for some shifting. As much as I’d miss “Midnight Rambler”, it could make room for a couple songs (and I’ve heard “Miss You” enough). I understand the drive for mass appeal in the shows, but there are so many songs—“Beast of Burden”, “Let’s Spend the Night”, “Wild Horses”—that are popular and beloved, and wouldn’t have to be as rare as they are. “Can’t You Hear Me Knockin’” is one of their most popular on Spotify.

LSTNT is not rare.

Date: November 22, 2023 11:47

Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness
DandelionPowderman
GerardHennessy
DandelionPowderman

But do you expect Lady Gaga to go on tour with the Stones to perform her role in "Sweet Sounds of Heaven"?

No, but Sasha or Chanelle will sing her part.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 22, 2023 12:23

Maybe 3-4 new songs in the tour start which usually goes down to 1-2 while the tour progress. But this is a really short tour so who knows? In the end it comes down to Richards' abilities and Jagger's patience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-22 13:40 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: November 22, 2023 13:10

Anyway, there is not one song on Hackney Diamonds that I wouldn't want to hear live and wouldn't welcome in the set.
Some songs might worke better than others, but the band will know/find out which ones do work live. A lot of the songs could work in a stadium.

Angry would be a fine opener, imho.

Date: November 22, 2023 14:31

Stoneage
Maybe 3-4 new songs in the tour start which usually goes down to 1-2 while the tour progress. But this is a really short tour so who knows? In the end it comes down to Richards' abilities and Jagger's patience.

By the standards of more recent tours this tour is actually fairly long. Typically they have been playing 15 or so dates over the past few tours. This time they are doing more.

I agree totally with your opinion about the number of HD tracks we are likely to get across the whole tour - reducing from 3/4 to perhaps 2. And equally with your take on Messrs Jagger and Richards. MJ especially is very much of the view that pleasing the audience is paramount at all times. His patience with bedding in new material is limited. If it does not fly from the start I believe he will jettison it in favour of what the audiences respond best to.

Posted by: scotmw65 ()
Date: November 22, 2023 17:02

Play Dreamy skies and segway into Short and Curlies, would be cool

Posted by: JivinSisterFanny ()
Date: November 23, 2023 01:52

DandelionPowderman
JivinSisterFanny

LSTNT is not rare.

Okay, it gets played at half the shows or fewer. Point is there is room for variation.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 23, 2023 06:21

Changed from earlier in the this thread:

Rolling Stones live 2024 HACKNEY DIAMONDS new songs in bold

Miss You
Mess It Up
Angry

Tumbling Dice
Have You Seen Your Mother...
Summer Romance (big idea, I know, but come on, why not?)
Get Close
Driving Me Too Hard

Almost Hear You Sigh
Depending On You
Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love) - COME ON! This NEEDS to be played live!!!!
Jigsaw Puzzle - This needs to be played live, too!!!!
Let It Bleed
Shattered
Tell Me Straight
Thief In the Night
Mother's Little Helper
Honky Tonk Women
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man
Start Me Up
Satisfaction
Gimme Shelter

The idea behind this, of course, is that they implore the new album like they did in 1989, their last full time of confidence. No SFTD and YCAGWYW. They probably have to do HTW, SMU and JJF.

Of course I left one out that's extremely obvious but considering how it became a 30 minute song in recent years, well, it's not necessary. There are other songs they didn't play for a while because of the obvious but not that kind of obvious.

I can understand not doing Whole Wide World in 2024 because a majority of the people in the US won't get it live. But the 2025 EU tour they absolutely should play it.

Posted by: SecondSet ()
Date: November 23, 2023 21:19

My setlist:

Angry
Start Me Up
Let's Spend the Night Together vs. IORR
Tumbling Dice either here or just before the encore
Respectable vs. Lies (vs. Bite My Head Off?)
Live By the Sword vs. Winning Ugly vs. Undercover of the Night vs. Heartbreaker
Stop Breaking Down vs. Casino Boogie vs. Petrol Blues

Acoustic set
local-flavor recording/walkout vamp (Sweet Home Chicago/My Kind of Town, New York New York, Left My Heart in San Francisco, etc.)
Dreamy Skies
Dead Flowers vs. Sweet Virginia

Street Fighting Man
Honky Tonk Women
Band intros
Happy vs. Before They Make Me Run
Tell Me Straight vs. How Can I Stop vs. You Got the Silver (vs. Memory Motel?)
Waiting on a Friend vs. Miss You (vs. Beast of Burden? or in the first encore slot?)
Midnight Rambler vs. Can’t You Hear Me Knockin’ vs. Gimme Shelter
Jumping Jack Flash vs. (and?) Brown Sugar
Everybody Needs Somebody to Love vs. You Got Me Rocking

E:
Charlie tribute with Just Want to See His Face recording/vamp
SSOH vs. Shine a Light vs. Moonlight Mile
Satisfaction vs. The Last Time

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-26 18:17 by SecondSet.

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: November 24, 2023 05:48

This is expecting a lot, but this is my semi-realistic hope for the setlist at the moment.

1. Start Me Up
2. Angry
3. MLH
4. Dice
5. VOTE SONG (Winter, Mr D, Memory Hotel, Hand of Fate, Emotional Rescue, Worried About You, Shattered, etc)
6. Depending On You (alternate with) Dreamy Skies
7. Whole Wide World
9. Honky Tonk Women
10. Tell Me Straight
11. T&A
12. Mess It Up/Miss You Medley
13. Midnight Rambler
14. Paint It Black
15. Sweet Sounds Of Heaven
16. Gimme Shelter
17. Jumpin’ Jack Flash

18. Sympathy For The Devil
19. Satisfaction

Posted by: SecondSet ()
Date: November 24, 2023 07:23

I almost put Too Rude on the list as an alternate, but figure that should get saved for a Winos gig.

Which 3 songs from Hackney Diamonds do you want performed live in USA.
Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: December 16, 2023 09:07

Which 3 songs would you like to hear live from their new album this summer?
I suspect they will perform a few and probably rotate songs on different nights.
But if you were attending just one show which 3 would you like to hear?
My choices

Tell me straight. [which I hope will be a constant in Keef’s set list,probably with Bernard on back up vocals,although it would be great if it were Mick]
Angry
Mess it up

Re: Which 3 songs from Hackney Diamonds do you want performed live in USA.
Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: December 16, 2023 09:16

Get Close, Angry, Depended On You.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...128129130131132133134135136137138...LastNext
Current Page: 133 of 142

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2102
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home