Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 18 of 20
Re: Sticky Fingers Live (Fonda Theatre 2015) officially on i-tunes
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 8, 2015 09:24

SackofBrokenEggs
Before I leave again and return....there's a beautiful Gospel vibe here. Can't You Hear Me Knocking, You Gotta Move and I Got The Blues are revelations. Truly, it's a good spiritual vibe with this group. They top every song here form '71. I personally can't wait for the new album. Considering the fidelity, and price wise, this Fonda Itunes is the dog's bollocks.

have you made your bed yet????

Posted by: SackofBrokenEggs ()
Date: July 8, 2015 09:32

You know the answer to that.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 8, 2015 17:14

Chuck Leavell don't have and will never have the fineness, discret genius, magic touch, feeling of Jim Price (Moonlight Mile), Nicky Hopkins (CYHMK, Sway), Ian Stewart (Brown Sugar) and Jack Nitzsche (Sister Morphine).

Never.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: July 8, 2015 17:29

Loving the sound quality on this release. Rockin' it a work today!

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: July 8, 2015 18:45

powerage78
Chuck Leavell don't have and will never have the fineness, discret genius, magic touch, feeling of Jim Price (Moonlight Mile), Nicky Hopkins (CYHMK, Sway), Ian Stewart (Brown Sugar) and Jack Nitzsche (Sister Morphine).

Never.

True.

Date: July 8, 2015 18:45

pepganzo
powerage78

Never.

True.

True.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 8, 2015 19:04

Turner68
pepganzo
powerage78

Never.

True.

True.

Well to be fair none of the Stones have the finesse, genius, magic touch or feeling they had when those songs were recorded either.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 8, 2015 19:23

Just FYI... on the whole vinyl vs mp3 vs cd thing. A Bigger Bang is a prime example of vinyl being done POORLY. It is the exact same source as the CD. 44.1kHz, no added range, nothing. When artists/labels do not use a superior source for vinyl, the result is that the vinyl is absolutely pointless. It is tantamount to playing a CD and adding crackling to the soundscape.

Contrast that to any previous Stones vinyl and it is night and day. I remember listening to Undercover and Emotional Rescue over and over and over on vinyl. Then one day we picked up the CD (can't remember which one, it was over two decades ago) and I remember thinking 'where is the room?'. Vinyl was from the original source material, properly mastered from analog sources. The CD was fine, just couldn't match the presence of the analog playback.

Instead, if the same source is used there is simply no benefit. Honestly, given the Stones track record, I would bet that the vinyl will sound exactly the same as these mp3s. The muddy bass-heavy mix is so disappointing. I really don't get how so many people can enjoy it. I listened to Handsome Girls while mowing the lawn the other day and MAN does that thing sound amazing. Every single instrument mixed to perfection. Raw sound, clean, clear, lots of mids, drums mixed perfectly... Handsome Girls ROCKS. Then I put on the Fonda gig, just to see if my ears had changed. Nope, sounds like crap.

Date: July 8, 2015 19:28

flacnvinyl
Just FYI... on the whole vinyl vs mp3 vs cd thing. A Bigger Bang is a prime example of vinyl being done POORLY. It is the exact same source as the CD. 44.1kHz, no added range, nothing. When artists/labels do not use a superior source for vinyl, the result is that the vinyl is absolutely pointless. It is tantamount to playing a CD and adding crackling to the soundscape.

Contrast that to any previous Stones vinyl and it is night and day. I remember listening to Undercover and Emotional Rescue over and over and over on vinyl. Then one day we picked up the CD (can't remember which one, it was over two decades ago) and I remember thinking 'where is the room?'. Vinyl was from the original source material, properly mastered from analog sources. The CD was fine, just couldn't match the presence of the analog playback.

Instead, if the same source is used there is simply no benefit. Honestly, given the Stones track record, I would bet that the vinyl will sound exactly the same as these mp3s. The muddy bass-heavy mix is so disappointing. I really don't get how so many people can enjoy it. I listened to Handsome Girls while mowing the lawn the other day and MAN does that thing sound amazing. Every single instrument mixed to perfection. Raw sound, clean, clear, lots of mids, drums mixed perfectly... Handsome Girls ROCKS. Then I put on the Fonda gig, just to see if my ears had changed. Nope, sounds like crap.

What lawnmower do you use? Was that a factor? I use a Stihl weed eater since I am in California and don't have a lawn.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: July 8, 2015 19:42

Naturalust
Turner68
pepganzo
powerage78

Never.

True.

True.

Well to be fair none of the Stones have the finesse, genius, magic touch or feeling they had when those songs were recorded either.

You have written before (I believe) how the Stones'very best work has been in the studio. All of your adjectives apply to the original LP and there's no way that live versions can come close (which is not to say the live versions arent good or anything).' Same for Exile, I think, off the top of my head. Gimme Shelter also. There have been some great live versions but nothing cuts the original with Keith's layered guitars and Merry Clayton.

On the other hand, some songs -- Rambler, Sympathy (Ya-Yas, etc. version), maybe JJF -- the live versions outpace the studios. I don't think this is true for anything SF or later.

Date: July 8, 2015 19:44

Continental drift is way better live.... Or was that a recording?

Posted by: SL818 ()
Date: July 8, 2015 19:46

i kind of agree. i prefer studio version to live version any day.
there is not one single exception. not a problem though, at latest since the beatles no one can do live what can be done in the studio.

Posted by: SL818 ()
Date: July 8, 2015 19:47

i am not the biggest fan of chuck, but what he does on this release is very good in my opinion.

Date: July 8, 2015 19:57

He is off subject on Moonlight Mile.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 8, 2015 21:07

Turner68
flacnvinyl

What lawnmower do you use? Was that a factor? I use a Stihl weed eater since I am in California and don't have a lawn.

Ha! The better question is what kind of earbuds do I use! My Shure in-ears are phenomenal. The lawnmower does kick out some good noise, but frankly this is one of my favorite ways to enjoy music aside from driving. Far more road noise while driving than with proper in-ears mowing!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 8, 2015 21:29

flacnvinyl
Turner68
flacnvinyl

Ha! The better question is what kind of earbuds do I use! My Shure in-ears are phenomenal. The lawnmower does kick out some good noise, but frankly this is one of my favorite ways to enjoy music aside from driving. Far more road noise while driving than with proper in-ears mowing!

is it a rider mower, or push? gas or electric? as far as weed eaters go, I can never get the new roll of fishing twine back on, so when the initial roll is done, essentially it is useless to me.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 9, 2015 12:48

flacnvinyl

Some recent Stones vinyl records sound great, particularly those from Eagle Rock. Some Girls Live in texas was rather fine, though not as great as I expected. But it sounds better than the CD.
Live at the Marquee is much better - maybe a higher quality source was used. Also I've read reports over at Steve Hoffmann forums that the new reissue of Sticky Fingers on vinyl sounds particularly good.

As you said I think it really depends on the quality of the source they use to cut the vinyl.

Now the question is why not releasing those hi-res masters properly on ausio DVD or as HD digital downloads?

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: July 9, 2015 13:04

Hi Kowalski, I remember reading about the Japanese Brussel Vinyl that 24 96 was used for that. Let's hope that it will be the case for all the vault releases.

I can see HD audio coming in downloads too. Matter of time maybe?

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 9, 2015 14:21

powerage78

Never.
I do not understand these comparisons, the Stones have played SF live will not make a copy of SF, in the studio do overdubs are called musicians fit while playing live is something else, but the result was great, they did a great job, as SF sounds fantastic even live!

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 9, 2015 15:04

barbabang
Hi Kowalski, I remember reading about the Japanese Brussel Vinyl that 24 96 was used for that. Let's hope that it will be the case for all the vault releases.

I can see HD audio coming in downloads too. Matter of time maybe?

Wardrecords (Japan) website claims that the vinyl from Eagle Rock are cut from high resolution digital sources (either 24bit/88.2kHz or 24bit/96kHz) :

Hampton Coliseum (24bit/88.2kHz)

LA Forum (24bit/88.2kHz)

Marquee & Brussels Affair (24bit/96kHz & 24bit/88.2kHz)

Date: July 9, 2015 22:02

Your opinion... winking smiley I don't like Chuck touch...

Testify
powerage78

Never.
I do not understand these comparisons, the Stones have played SF live will not make a copy of SF, in the studio do overdubs are called musicians fit while playing live is something else, but the result was great, they did a great job, as SF sounds fantastic even live!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-09 22:04 by powerage78.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 11, 2015 23:29

finally bought it, burned in on CD and just tried to listen to it on a real stereo…
aborted the listing session. THE MIXING IS A CRIME and makes your ears bleed. It's awful beyond imagination! I want my money back – or at least some advice how to remix that mixing

Date: July 12, 2015 00:41

slewan
finally bought it, burned in on CD and just tried to listen to it on a real stereo…
aborted the listing session. THE MIXING IS A CRIME and makes your ears bleed. It's awful beyond imagination! I want my money back – or at least some advice how to remix that mixing

Ouch. Sorry it's that bad for you. I've listened to the stream and thought the music was great but respect some of the posters here like flacvinyl who have confirmed there are some....ahem...issues with the mastering.

I'd be surprised if the mix itself was that bad, Bob Clearmountain is usually very good about making every instrument stand out. Perhaps he was instructed to mix this one a bit more densely or it is just the brickwalling that is bothering you?

You can always try some EQ of your own and there are several good DAW plug-ins (and hardware) which change the overall sound, harmonic enhancers like Aural Exciter, etc, but I'm afraid if brickwalling is the issue, you will have limited results.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 12, 2015 02:58

Sounds good to me, thru the iPod via usb port on my system.

Fonda Show - Overdubs?
Posted by: SuperC ()
Date: July 14, 2015 22:03

Just listened to the apple download of Sticky Fingers set. Is it me or to anyone else's ear do you hear a number of overdubs. CYHMK in particular sounds especially "tampered with". I know a number of IORR followers have a far keener ear then I, so please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Re: Fonda Show - Overdubs?
Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 14, 2015 22:08

This should be interesting especially if Mick Taylor was brought in for a few overdubs (joking)

Date: July 14, 2015 22:12

I would be very surprised if there were actual overdubs on this release. We didn't hear of any studio time in between shows. I guess it's possible they might have taken parts from other live shows and edited them into the Fonda recordings, no doubt they have been multi track recording every show. With all the audience recording of the stadium shows perhaps someone can find a snippet of CYHMK that is exactly what you think was added to the Fonda release?

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 14, 2015 22:13

I think the Stones in their career they never released an official live without overdubs. If there is a mistake they correct you do this for the overdubs. It would be annoying to hear every time a mistake, especially when it is obvious.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 14, 2015 22:22

Testify
I think the Stones in their career they never released an official live without overdubs. If there is a mistake they correct you do this for the overdubs. It would be annoying to hear every time a mistake, especially when it is obvious.

Shine a light?

Date: July 14, 2015 22:30

Testify

Correcting mistakes is much easier to do in the mix with Pro Tools these days. Notes can be replaced, out of tune instruments and vocals can be corrected and questionable accompaniment can be deleted or buried in the mix. It doesn't really require overdubs like it did in the past. No doubt some of theses tricks were done, someone here was able to show how Mick's vocals were corrected on Moonlight Mile.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 18 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 989
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home