Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 26
Re: Bill Wyman: The Stones Never Forgave Me For Leaving
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 23, 2015 23:54

RollingFreak
bonddm
Don't see why it was so hard to accommodate Wyman and Taylor,considering The Eagles invited Bernie Leadon back after 40 years and had him play the whole 1st set,plus encores!

And The Beach Boys had the courtesy to bring back all the living original Beach Boys for a 50th Anniversary Tour, even David Marks who hadn't been in the band since the mid 60s and no one even knew who the hell he was! AND THEN Mike Love was a dick enough to take that all away from them the next year and continue touring without all but Bruce Johnston. If you want to talk about cruel, thats cruel.

So the real question becomes, especially with the Beach Boys, was it worth having that one year reunion, like the Beach Boys did, like the Eagles did, if it did only happen for money and for a year? Its tricky. You'd probably say yes, but its not that cut and dry. We can all say it wouldn't be hard to accommodate Wyman and Taylor like how the Eagles did, but its so much more complicated than you can imagine. I applaud a band like the Beach Boys that were able to pull it off, but is it worth the unbelievable hate I felt after it all fell apart? The end result was so upsetting it was almost worth not happening at all. Not that its WWIII or anything, but just saying for a fan that was hard to swallow after such a great year that it was all, essentially, for show and that people like Brian friggen Wilson didn't even know what was gonna happen next. The man responsible for you all being there didn't even know he'd be forced out, yet again, after everyone made their money.

/quote]

That actually worked out better for Brian and the rest, minus Love. It appeared that they were all doing great on that reunion, Love pulled the plug, and Brian/Al Jardine/& David Marks were left shaking their heads. The result is that Brian has been touring with Jardine, Blondie Chaplin, and sometimes David Marks, and it's fantastic. Mike Love, and Bruce Johnston are not missed at all. At least we got a really good DVD out of the Beach Boys reunion. The Stone could have too if they'd used Mick T. and Bill properly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-23 23:59 by 24FPS.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 24, 2015 00:05

>>
The Beach Boys had the courtesy to bring back all the living original Beach Boys for a 50th Anniversary Tour<<

.. that's a kind of humorous choice of words right there..

Date: June 24, 2015 00:28

grinning smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 24, 2015 01:03

71Tele
The treated him the same as Mick Taylor, vengefully and childishly, which is why I am no longer a fan of this band, at least in its current configuration.

if you look at the other side here's a band that got hurt by nearly anyone in the 60's-70's : journalists judges agents promoters politicians. So they had to develop a tough gang mentality aka "us in the band vs the rest of the world".

Anyone leaving the band leaving this core structure is seen by Mick and Keef as an act of betrayal.
Plus in the case of Bill it must be said he treated them badly saying in the press "I did one last tour with them (1990) then when I was sure I had enough money for the rest of my life I told them to bugger off".

Hence the petty retribution against Bill in 2012?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 24, 2015 01:15

dcba
71Tele
The treated him the same as Mick Taylor, vengefully and childishly, which is why I am no longer a fan of this band, at least in its current configuration.

if you look at the other side here's a band that got hurt by nearly anyone in the 60's-70's : journalists judges agents promoters politicians. So they had to develop a tough gang mentality aka "us in the band vs the rest of the world".

Anyone leaving the band leaving this core structure is seen by Mick and Keef as an act of betrayal.
Plus in the case of Bill it must be said he treated them badly saying in the press "I did one last tour with them (1990) then when I was sure I had enough money for the rest of my life I told them to bugger off".

Yes, I understand completely their need to be "tough". Unfortunately in the process they have also become cheap as well as petty. It is not a positive legacy.

Date: June 24, 2015 01:27

From the interview: When I came off stage and went to join my wife and daughters in the pit, the bass player started doing Miss You! He’s playing all my parts — and not as well as I thought he should. He’s playing the octaves as single notes. And then Mick starts saying what a great bass player he is, right in front of me. ‘Look at Darryl, isn’t he fantastic?’ goes Mick.”

This sounds like a weird situation on first reading. One easily gets the impression, Mick Jagger went to Wyman to tell him personally what a great bass player Darryl is. And that the Stones deliberately played Miss You as soon as Bill had left the stage of the O2, just to annoy him. I was confused by this but after some thought and research of Youtube videos and the setlists from that time, I think Wyman refers to Mick's highlighting of Darryl during Miss You, when he sings "Sometimes I wanna play the bass like Darryl". Based on Youtube, he already did this at the first concert on November 25, 2012.
Also they played Keith's set and Midnight Rambler after Bill's two songs before Miss You, not Miss You as soon as Bill had ended his performance.

So Bill's exaggerating a bit here with his report. I'm sure it's because to him it felt like a slap into the face to see and hear Darryl play on Miss You (that he wanted to play on) and 'the other bassist' being in the spot light with a solo and Mick's introduction of it.

One interesting question: Is that introduction of Darryl's solo something Mick developed for the 50 and Counting concerts or did he already do it during the Bigger Bang concerts?

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 24, 2015 01:32

Having played in many bands and being aware of how egos can clash, it must have been really tough for Bill to have conversations that may have gone thusly:

Groupie: I love your bass in Jumpin' Jack Flash
Bill: That's not me, that's Keith
Groupie: Oh. Well, your bass in Sympathy For The Devil is great.
Bill: That's also Keith
Groupie: Oh. Well, you really played great on Tumbling Dice
Bill: That's Mick Taylor
Groupie: Oh. Well, I love, love, love the groove in Street Fighting Man
Bill: That's Keith
Groupie: Dancing With Mr. D?
Bill: Taylor
Groupie: Emotional Rescue?
Bill: Ronnie
Groupie: Happy?
Bill: Keith
Groupie: Satisfaction?
Bill: Oh, that's me.
Groupie: I don't believe you. What room is Keith in again?

Edited, thanks to TravelinMan for the correction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-24 02:02 by bleedingman.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 24, 2015 01:36

Hey that's funny .,... hhaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 24, 2015 01:36

Mandy never forgave him for staying.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 24, 2015 01:51

71Tele
dcba
71Tele

Yes, I understand completely their need to be "tough". Unfortunately in the process they have also become cheap as well as petty. It is not a positive legacy.

it seems clearly to be what happened. there's a quote of Bill W talking about Mick and Keith in the 60s saying they didn't care about money and so he had to keep track of it. once those guys woke and realized that if they didn't care about money, someone else would steal it all, things changed fast. i think the treatment of mick t and bill w should be viewed through this lens, although i don't think it's an excuse.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 24, 2015 01:56

bleedingman
Having played in many bands and being aware of how egos can clash, it must have been really tough for Bill to have conversations that may have gone thusly:

Taylor played bass on Dancing

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 24, 2015 02:03

TravelinMan
bleedingman

Taylor played bass on Dancing

Thanks, is my face red. I have corrected it. I learned something today!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 24, 2015 02:06

treaclefingers

Too soon?
We have an eye team investigating now...

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: June 24, 2015 02:08

71Tele

I concur with this statement. This is one of the reasons why after 40 years, I'm no longer a fan of this band.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-25 06:06 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 24, 2015 02:25

I have listened to many, many stories from former partners who were later involved in a dispute. In 100% of the cases, I was not getting the full story. I'm sure there's much much more.

Date: June 24, 2015 04:33

drbryant
I have listened to many, many stories from former partners who were later involved in a dispute. In 100% of the cases, I was not getting the full story. I'm sure there's much much more.

Wasn't it the '95 Interview in Rolling Stone where Mick complains that Bill wouldn't help him finish songs. Bill's side might have been, "Why should I, I'll never get credit and you'll get all the royalty money."

As for Bill & Keith I think Bill tired of that whole drug scene, waiting to put down his bass lines while Keith was blacked out in some bathroom. Can you imagine being a coherent, pretty straight person dealing with that? For years?

Oh well, I guess it happens to most groups. Even the ones where they are brothers (Bee Gees, Beach Boys, Kinks). Resentments are going to boil over. I think Bill is right that you can't go back again, to old groups or old girlfriends.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 24, 2015 04:57

drbryant

agreed, and not only that, memories fade and change with time too. we'll never know exactly what happened and why. all the more reason for people to make peace and move on.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 24, 2015 06:20

TravelinMan
LeonidP
TravelinMan
LeonidP
strat72
All this bullshit about how they would not record Bill's or Mick T's songs. I've heard Wyman's songs, and Taylor's and they are shite. That's why they weren't recorded.

Another excellent point ... I 'like' some of Bill's stuff, but still most of it would be filler on a Stones album. Taylor's stuff is worse - yes he's a great guitar player but come on, the songs he's written are far below average.

I disagree. You may not like them but in my opinion Taylor has written some better songs than the Glimmers in the last 35 years.

Obviously to each their own ... but not even close

Ha! Right okay maybe just envision Jagger singing them instead. I'm sorry but much of the last 35 years hasn't been very musically interesting in regards to the Stones (studio wise anyway). Notice their shows are dominated by songs not of their modern era?

They include some ... i notice they don't include any of Taylor's songs over the last 35 years

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 24, 2015 09:11

bleedingman

or as most non-stones fans say: miss you is their best song and jjf has a cool riff.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 24, 2015 09:16

stanlove
eye rolling smiley
strat72
All this bullshit about how they would not record Bill's or Mick T's songs. I've heard Wyman's songs, and Taylor's and they are shite. That's why they weren't recorded.

Bingo. These things might be believed if people like Wyman or Taylor or Brian ever wrote decent stuff of their own. Obviously Jagger and Richards were the only ones who could write decent songs.

While these guys complain about it, it was probably a pain in the ass for Mick and Keith to have bandmates who couldn't write songs always trying to push their songs to them.

I am always surprised about how Jagger especially is described by people. He is supposed to be this power hungry, controlling, jealous of everyone jerk. If you are heading a band as huge as the Stones you better be controlling or you won't last.
yes im sure it was horrible for mick and keith to work with miller cooder etc by themselves but also with constant input by others in the band like brian bill taylor ronnie etc. And always get the full credit. Horrible just horrible.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: June 24, 2015 09:26

The post by bleedingman is bloody offensive.

... You forgot 'Mercy, Mercy' (opening selection from 'Out of Our Heads'):

Phil Spector, Zoom Bass.

"We took Bill Wyman's spare amplifier for everything we could get" - The Rolling Stones

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 24, 2015 09:29

Seems in bad taste for Bill to dis Daryl's playing. He is sad and hurt, but he also left the band, said he didn't like to tour, yet he has been touring with the Rhythm Kings...

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 24, 2015 10:35

I never forgave him for leaving either.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 24, 2015 16:17

Bill should have been invited to the Hyde Park shows for sure.

Date: June 24, 2015 16:18

bleedingman

grinning smiley

Date: June 24, 2015 16:19

Old, but still funny smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 24, 2015 16:39

Munichhilton
treaclefingers

Too soon?
We have an eye team investigating now...

let me know and I retract if necessary.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 24, 2015 18:04

just a thought. does anyone notice that in the early 60's a lot of the screaming girls in the audiences look very young . when you think a lot of them may have been groupies.

Date: June 24, 2015 20:04

whitem8
Seems in bad taste for Bill to dis Daryl's playing. He is sad and hurt, but he also left the band, said he didn't like to tour, yet he has been touring with the Rhythm Kings...

Again, we don't know how Darryl and Bill interacted.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 24, 2015 20:30

keith said Bill hated flying in the end. one of the reasons BILL packed his day job in.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home