Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 26
Re: Bill Wyman: The Stones Never Forgave Me For Leaving
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 26, 2015 00:58

There's straight rock playing - which any good professional musician can do - and then there's personal idiosyncracies which lend themselves to creating something more interesting, and in Bill's case, better. Neither Charlie nor Bill are "normal" rock players, which is why the Stones rhythm section was (and I do mean was) so special. Darryl plays it straight. He's professional and very good, but there's none of the strange magic that Bill brought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-26 00:59 by 71Tele.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 26, 2015 01:09

triceratops
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
I don't see the same bitterness from Taylor.
I know from a reliable source he is. But he is used to package it in humour and in song lyrics.

I belive it, plus you are a dedicated Taylorite who has "sources". Mick Taylor is a shy guy who is not going to complain in public. He is a man of few words. MickT and Bill Wyman got screwed (cheated) on song writing credits. And album royalties in Mick Taylor's case.

To be honest, the "I know from a reliable source" part was just joking.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 26, 2015 01:11

71Tele
There's straight rock playing - which any good professional musician can do - and then there's personal idiosyncracies which lend themselves to creating something more interesting, and in Bill's case, better. Neither Charlie nor Bill are "normal" rock players, which is why the Stones rhythm section was (and I do mean was) so special. Darryl plays it straight. He's professional and very good, but there's none of the strange magic that Bill brought.

That sounds pretty much like what I'm hearing too but I'm not so sure the Stones are anxious for Darryl to put his own brand of strange magic on the music at this point. He's probably hired to play it straight, learned to stay lower key in order to keep his job and not make too many waves. Probably part of his personality too. I don't think Bill was limited as such, he knew he was a full fledged "original" member and could do whatever he wanted. Of course the result is the same, we lost a unique and special rhythm section when Bill left.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 26, 2015 02:50

Naturalust
71Tele

That sounds pretty much like what I'm hearing too but I'm not so sure the Stones are anxious for Darryl to put his own brand of strange magic on the music at this point. He's probably hired to play it straight, learned to stay lower key in order to keep his job and not make too many waves. Probably part of his personality too. I don't think Bill was limited as such, he knew he was a full fledged "original" member and could do whatever he wanted. Of course the result is the same, we lost a unique and special rhythm section when Bill left.

his job is to play it straight, no doubt about it.
you know how great actors will do a blockbuster now and then to pay the bills, and then do independent art house films for what they actually consider their art? that's what the stones are to daryl, kind of like DeNeiro starring in Meet the Fockers, or Ralph Fiennes in Harry Potter. he's hired because he'll so an incredibly professional job, not make any waves, and let Mick and Keith be in the limelight. On the side he can do the work he finds fulfilling. It's not a reflection on his skills as a bass player, which are tremendous.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: June 26, 2015 03:22

Naturalust
71Tele

Safe assumption that Charlie was part of DJ's audition...right? After 20+ years of BW...wouldn't you think he'd want someone similar to Bill?

Full disclosure..I'm not a musician...so I will believe anything you tell me. winking smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Date: June 26, 2015 03:26

Until this recent Milwaukee show (& this tour i presume), I can't remember the Stones ever really FEATURING Darryl Jones the way he was featured during MISS YOU. He may have been...i just don't remember. And didn't BW leave because he felt that after Urban Jungle tour the band would be winding down quickly. He didn't expect another 25+ yrs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-26 03:27 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: mitchrambler ()
Date: June 26, 2015 03:34

LieB
mudbone
DJ is always a fraction too 'late' where as Bill was right in the pocket. Keeping keith and mick on their toes..make no mistake

I think Bill said himself (in the Crossfire Hurricane movie) that he's actually a fraction early on the beat, which together with Charlie and Keith creates a bit of a ”wobble” which he thinks is part of the Stones magic.
absolutely spot on.

Date: June 26, 2015 04:49

Turner68
Naturalust
71Tele

his job is to play it straight, no doubt about it.
you know how great actors will do a blockbuster now and then to pay the bills, and then do independent art house films for what they actually consider their art? that's what the stones are to daryl, kind of like DeNeiro starring in Meet the Fockers, or Ralph Fiennes in Harry Potter. he's hired because he'll so an incredibly professional job, not make any waves, and let Mick and Keith be in the limelight. On the side he can do the work he finds fulfilling. It's not a reflection on his skills as a bass player, which are tremendous.

Yes I don't believe Darryl is artistically challenged by playing Stones music...I wonder if Bill was?

Hard to say what Charlie wanted with a new bass player. By all accounts he's happy with Darryl and was glad to bring him on board. I think Charlies respect for Darryl exceed that of his respect for Stones music so might not every get a clear answer on that

Date: June 26, 2015 04:58

Naturalust

Hard to say what Charlie wanted with a new bass player. By all accounts he's happy with Darryl and was glad to bring him on board. I think Charlies respect for Darryl exceed that of his respect for Stones music so might not every get a clear answer on that

i think just the fact that DJ played with Miles Davis was huge to MJ and CW.

Remember the first tour with DJ...Mick would always introduce him as having played with Miles Davis & Madonna.

Date: June 26, 2015 05:17

sweet neo con
Remember the first tour with DJ...Mick would always introduce him as having played with Miles Davis & Madonna.

Hard to mention those two in the same breath with a straight face (for me) but I guess Mick respected Madonna on some level. I recall Sir Mick and Sir Elton discussing her in Being Mick.

Date: June 26, 2015 05:17

Here's the question I'm surprised isn't discussed more: should they have stopped when Bill quit?

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 26, 2015 06:00

sweet neo con
Until this recent Milwaukee show (& this tour i presume), I can't remember the Stones ever really FEATURING Darryl Jones the way he was featured during MISS YOU. He may have been...i just don't remember. And didn't BW leave because he felt that after Urban Jungle tour the band would be winding down quickly. He didn't expect another 25+ yrs.

Forget if Mick did the "play like Darryl Jones" bit on the Bigger Bang tour, but it's been happening since the 2012 50 & Counting... concerts.

Date: June 26, 2015 08:54

You better work on your quoting, kleerie. I don't look good in that conversation you present there winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-26 08:58 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 26, 2015 08:56

Naturalust
sweet neo con

Hard to mention those two in the same breath with a straight face (for me) but I guess Mick respected Madonna on some level. I recall Sir Mick and Sir Elton discussing her in Being Mick.

He respects her both as his groupie and as a musician obviously.

Date: June 26, 2015 09:01

DandelionPowderman
You better work on your quoting, kleerie. I don't look good in that conversation you present there winking smiley

He doesn't have the hands or the fingers for quoting grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-26 09:01 by Turner68.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 26, 2015 10:23

Turner68
Here's the question I'm surprised isn't discussed more: should they have stopped when Bill quit?

Yes!

Date: June 26, 2015 10:25

71Tele
Turner68

Yes!

I tend to agree.

Date: June 26, 2015 10:29

I think it's rubbish. I bet the people who witnessed the club gigs in 1995, Le Trabendo, The Echoplex and the Fonda Theatre disagree...

Then again, many fans thought they should have called it a day when Brian left..

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 26, 2015 11:31

Turner68
71Tele
Turner68

Yes!

I tend to agree.

I thought it was Bob Dylan who said that The Stones became a funk band after Bill left.
He might have a point, but I still enjoy that funk band.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 26, 2015 11:47

DandelionPowderman
I think it's rubbish. I bet the people who witnessed the club gigs in 1995, Le Trabendo, The Echoplex and the Fonda Theatre disagree...

Then again, many fans thought they should have called it a day when Brian left..

I always thought he's been kicked out in opposite to BW and MT...

Date: June 26, 2015 12:32

shortfatfanny
DandelionPowderman

I always thought he's been kicked out in opposite to BW and MT...

He was. But after that, he left smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-26 12:32 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: June 26, 2015 13:22

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
sweet neo con

Hmm probably as a performer...not necessarily on stage.

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: June 26, 2015 13:47

Turner68
Koen
LieB
mudbone
DJ is always a fraction too 'late' where as Bill was right in the pocket. Keeping keith and mick on their toes..make no mistake

I think Bill said himself (in the Crossfire Hurricane movie) that he's actually a fraction early on the beat, which together with Charlie and Keith creates a bit of a ”wobble” which he thinks is part of the Stones magic.

Interestingly, in Satisfaction, he is actually a bit later than the main riff. Very cool to listen to.

indeed, it's one of my favorite parts.

In fact he's playing a completely different line wich is just as groovy as keith's. He start's with the low E and indeed delays a bit to keith's first two notes. I wouldn't call it a delay but just a different rythm.

The two lines combined is arguably the best piece of music ever. Bill's got 50 % dipps on that..just saying.

I can think of so much more riffs where Bill plays his OWN riff and mixed with keith's it becomes MAGIC

In fact...Bill's a Riffmaster too

DJ sounds 'dumbed down'because he is following keith in a way..Bill never did that..he Added and weaved and messed with the rythm. And in music..as Keith often states..that becomes 'to the power of'

You don't need brilliant shit from one player. Just cool shit from two and when it works it can't be beaten.

That's why he was a star...in the stones!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-26 14:21 by mudbone.

Date: June 26, 2015 14:01

Dreamer
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
sweet neo con

Hmm probably as a performer...not necessarily on stage.

I think Mick likes her music as well..

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: June 26, 2015 14:26

mudbone
Turner68
Koen
LieB
mudbone

Interestingly, in Satisfaction, he is actually a bit later than the main riff. Very cool to listen to.

In fact he's playing a completely different line wich is just as groovy as keith's. He start's with the low E and indeed delays a bit to keith's first two notes. I wouldn't call it a delay but just a different rythm.

The two lines combined is arguably the best piece of music ever. Bill's got 50 % dipps on that..just saying.

I can think of so much more riffs where Bill plays his OWN riff and mixed with keith's it becomes MAGIC

DJ sounds 'dumbed down'because he is following keith in a way..Bill never did that..he Added and weaved and messed with the rythm. And in music..as Keith often states..that becomes 'to the power of'

You don't need brilliant shit from one player. Just cool shit from two and when it works it can't be beaten.

That's interesting. You are probably right. When listening to the isolated bass line, Bill sounds all over the place. When it is mixed up with others, it's great.

Date: June 26, 2015 14:50

mudbone
Turner68
Koen
LieB
mudbone

No, he played a millisecond later - all the time. That's the wobble!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 26, 2015 15:12

DandelionPowderman

I don't know how I did it, but it's indeed pretty beat up. smiling smiley

Date: June 26, 2015 15:13

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

I don't know how I did it, but it's indeed pretty beat up. smiling smiley

Those cell phones mess it up, I guess...

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: June 26, 2015 15:16

DandelionPowderman
mudbone
Turner68
Koen
LieB
mudbone

yeah yeah...fraction later or earlier..like I said he messed with the rythm. But that's not even my point...although it is what creates the 'wobble'.

But also, he ADDED his own riffs, mixing them with keefs, to create a whole nother beast. like...two different riffs/patterns..often with different timing, even melody...that become one unique powerful thing. The second guitar player was always replaceble for the stones. BW really was not..

Bill and keith..in a way.. had the same tension mick and keith have.

Like...Fck you mr rock and roll...mr cool! I'm not too impressed so suck on this for a while. In music you need tension...well rock and roll anyway. just my honest opinion

Date: June 26, 2015 15:23

mudbone
DandelionPowderman
mudbone
Turner68
Koen
LieB
mudbone

yeah yeah...fraction later or earlier..like I said he messed with the rythm. But that's not even my point...although it is what creates the 'wobble'.

But also, he ADDED his own riffs, mixing them with keefs, to create a whole nother beast. like...two different riffs/patterns..often with different timing, even melody...that become one unique powerful thing. The second guitar player was always replaceble for the stones. BW really was not..

Bill and keith..in a way.. had the same tension mick and keith have.

Like...Fck you mr rock and roll...mr cool! I'm not too impressed so suck on this for a while. In music you need tension...well rock and roll anyway. just my honest opinion

He actually had different roles, depending on the guitar players he played with.

With Keith and Ronnie, he got more space to to exactly what you're talking about here. Listen to songs like When The Whip Comes Down from 1981. It's marvellous.

With a fixed lead/rhythm arrangement, like Taylor and Keith did, he had less space to be as adventurous. He was more loose when Brian was in the band.

It's all about the band's sound, and where he finds room to do his thing, at the same time as he can be able to lock the rhythm down with Charlie.

Quite fascinating, really. Bill is a great bass player.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1884
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home