Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: Marquee 71
Date: June 23, 2015 11:43

muenke
DandelionPowderman
RockingLonestar
Got my DVD/CD set yesterday. Musically it is not that thrilling as Roundhouse or Leeds.But it is very good indeed. The guitars are very clean sounding, especially Keith. I like it more, when his guitar sounds a bit crunchier.
But it is a real joy watching them on such a small stage, totally concentrated on the music, with all the eye to eye contact and smiling at each other and enjoying themselves and their music. And of course ist funny watching the audience and there clothes, hair and the girls`s make-ups. Early seventies ;-)
The DVD/CD set cost EURO 18, which is a very fair price for a DVD and CD.

That was what I was suspecting...

Yes, but don´t forget they played in a very small club, not in front of 1000s of people. I think, they choosed a different setting for the guitar-amps because of that ... And BTW: Have a listen to MR from Leeds, this is really dirty, soundwise (Keith guitar) ...

I think Keith's sound on Roundhouse, and especially on Leeds, varies a bit. it is indeed excellent on MR on Roundhouse.

On Roundhouse it is Taylor that has a too clean sound to my liking. Leeds seems to have some recording issues on a few songs. MR is one of them. I think Keith has sound problems (bad cable?) on that one, too. I love the way he plays off those problems on the part in the middle of the song, though smiling smiley

About the Marquee, you can't polish a turd. But the two songs I have on DVD, DF and MR sound pretty good. Looking forward to seeing the full DVD, though thumbs up

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: June 23, 2015 12:40

DandelionPowderman
muenke
DandelionPowderman
RockingLonestar
Got my DVD/CD set yesterday. Musically it is not that thrilling as Roundhouse or Leeds.But it is very good indeed. The guitars are very clean sounding, especially Keith. I like it more, when his guitar sounds a bit crunchier.
But it is a real joy watching them on such a small stage, totally concentrated on the music, with all the eye to eye contact and smiling at each other and enjoying themselves and their music. And of course ist funny watching the audience and there clothes, hair and the girls`s make-ups. Early seventies ;-)

Yes, but don´t forget they played in a very small club, not in front of 1000s of people. I think, they choosed a different setting for the guitar-amps because of that ... And BTW: Have a listen to MR from Leeds, this is really dirty, soundwise (Keith guitar) ...

I think Keith's sound on Roundhouse, and especially on Leeds, varies a bit. it is indeed excellent on MR on Roundhouse.

On Roundhouse it is Taylor that has a too clean sound to my liking. Leeds seems to have some recording issues on a few songs. MR is one of them. I think Keith has sound problems (bad cable?) on that one, too. I love the way he plays off those problems on the part in the middle of the song, though smiling smiley

About the Marquee, you can't polish a turd. But the two songs I have on DVD, DF and MR sound pretty good. Looking forward to seeing the full DVD, though thumbs up

I saw the whole gig yesterday on my ipad with headphones, loved it, cool - for sure not a "perfect" - performance, Let it Rock is great, it sounds totally different than Leeds! Brown Sugar kicks ass too, IMO. BTW again: the iTunes-Version is without the bonus-tracks (rehearsals)!thumbs down

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: June 23, 2015 12:55

I love the version of MR of this concert. Fantastica!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 23, 2015 15:17

DandelionPowderman
muenke
DandelionPowderman
RockingLonestar

Taylor's guitar 'makes' the Roundhouse Rambler. When he starts ripping it up, the song comes to life in an incredible way.

The guitars on Leeds, especially Keith's, sounds filthy. Too distorted, especially compared to Roundhouse.

The Marquee is maybe a turd for a turd, but not for someone who loves The Stones when they were a great deal on their way to the absolute top in 1972/73.

Date: June 23, 2015 15:21

muenke
DandelionPowderman
RockingLonestar

The Leeds Rambler is the least of the three imo, both soundwise and musicalwise.

Date: June 23, 2015 15:26

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
muenke
DandelionPowderman
RockingLonestar

Taylor's guitar 'makes' the Roundhouse Rambler. When he starts ripping it up, the song comes to life in an incredible way.

The guitars on Leeds, especially Keith's, sounds filthy. Too distorted, especially compared to Roundhouse.

The Marquee is maybe a turd for a turd, but not for someone who loves The Stones when they were a great deal on their way to the absolute top in 1972/73.

When Keith starts MR it is HE that makes it. There is no turning back, no matter what others do, imo. Taylor actually takes a couple of minutes to get going, as he plays with way too clean rhythm sound. But when he gets going, he really gets going!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-23 15:26 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 23, 2015 15:28

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
muenke
DandelionPowderman
RockingLonestar

This must surely be a typo? It does sound filthy on MR and BS, but on the rest?

Date: June 23, 2015 16:12

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
muenke
DandelionPowderman
RockingLonestar

When Keith starts MR it is HE that makes it. There is no turning back, no matter what others do, imo. Taylor actually takes a couple of minutes to get going, as he plays with way too clean rhythm sound. But when he gets going, he really gets going!

That's making music, not giving full gas all the way down, but subtle rhythm changing into fierce guitar playing. And then he has the song firmly in his hands, unconditionally. Taylor, just being 22 years old.

Date: June 23, 2015 16:15

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
muenke
DandelionPowderman
RockingLonestar

This must surely be a typo? It does sound filthy on MR and BS, but on the rest?

By heart I must say: yes. Except LIV at least. But especially Keith's guitar sounds generally essentially different on Leeds compared to Roundhouse and Marquee.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 23, 2015 18:11

The guitars on the '71 tour would probably have sounded better if they used smaller amps or played larger venues where they could crank those Ampegs like they did in '69 and '72. But they still sound pretty cool, and the '71 tour is more interesting this way, even if the tours preceeding and following it were better.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: June 23, 2015 18:13

I love the guitar sound of this tour. Keith was on fire too.

Date: June 23, 2015 18:28

I might say if already on spotify ?

thanks
Sergio

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 23, 2015 20:26

Nice to have Marquee in this quality, but it remains forever one of the worst gigs the Stones have ever done. Keith's just completely out of it, Jagger is out of it due to Keith, and the band just sucks. Soundwise this is the least of the 3 shows now out too -the Fender amps do not help, they are out of tune for most of the show, and the mix could be a lot better with better guitar separation. Nice to have, but no where near the mind boggling Roundhouse or the excellent Leeds show.

Mathijs

Date: June 23, 2015 22:33

Mathijs
Nice to have Marquee in this quality, but it remains forever one of the worst gigs the Stones have ever done. Keith's just completely out of it, Jagger is out of it due to Keith, and the band just sucks. Soundwise this is the least of the 3 shows now out too -the Fender amps do not help, they are out of tune for most of the show, and the mix could be a lot better with better guitar separation. Nice to have, but no where near the mind boggling Roundhouse or the excellent Leeds show.

Mathijs

Just your opinion. I rate Marquee higher than Leeds, both soundwise and musically. Who cares about Jagger being a bit raunchy? Has it all to be exactly in tune? Of course not. Keith completely out of it? No way.

Leeds is certainly not excellent compared to all the gigs we know from the Taylor-era. But it's more worth than all the live stuff that came from the 1975 tour and all following ones, that's indeed true.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 23, 2015 22:56

kleermaker
Mathijs

Mathijs

Just your opinion. I rate Marquee higher than Leeds, both soundwise and musically. Who cares about Jagger being a bit raunchy? Has it all to be exactly in tune? Of course not. Keith completely out of it? No way.

Leeds is certainly not excellent compared to all the gigs we know from the Taylor-era. But it's more worth than all the live stuff that came from the 1975 tour and all following ones, that's indeed true.

Marquee sounds like a bad rehearsal to me. A rehearsal without audience, by a band that's not taking it all very seriously. Midnight Rambler is a joke, and Bitch and Satisfaction are fairly unlistenable. I find Leeds a great show before a live audience, with a much warmer sound to it. It starts of shaky, but it ends great.

Each his cup of tea.

Mathijs

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: June 24, 2015 00:10

Mathijs
kleermaker
Mathijs

Mathijs

Marquee sounds like a bad rehearsal to me. A rehearsal without audience, by a band that's not taking it all very seriously. Midnight Rambler is a joke, and Bitch and Satisfaction are fairly unlistenable. I find Leeds a great show before a live audience, with a much warmer sound to it. It starts of shaky, but it ends great.

Each his cup of tea.

Mathijs

Have to agree with here. Not one of the Stones better performances but I will take any Mick Taylor pro recorded performances I can get. Roundhouse and Leeds on the other hand are stellar IMHO.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: June 24, 2015 00:33

Don't understand why they release this instead of PARADISO 95 (The DELUXE 20 Years Anniversary BOX).
I will buy the Marquee 71 CD+DVD ofcourse and watch the DVD one time taking the IORR reviews in mind.smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-24 00:43 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: June 24, 2015 00:33

Marquee Dead Flowers is great

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 24, 2015 00:37

Mathijs
kleermaker
Mathijs

Mathijs

Each his cup of tea.

Mathijs

I'd like to see this SF (re)release is part of a long-term strategy.

We have two complete performances (Marquee and Leeds) wich are so-so and okay then we have onyl a taste of the magnificent Roundhouse shows.
Is Jagger the ever-businessman trying to sell us the "drek" (Marquee and Leeds) before he gives us the gems?

And let's not forget VJames told us here he found a totally unreleased video of a 1971 show in the Stones vaults. So it would belogical to sell us the Marquee debacle... I mean gig now before they give us this new vid one day?

First the "drek" in 2015 (Marquee and Leeds) then the gems in 2025? (Roundhouse complete + the new vid)?
Only ten more years to wait? grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-24 00:40 by dcba.

Date: June 24, 2015 00:38

2000man
Marquee Dead Flowers is great

I don't like Mick Taylor's overdoodling on the bootleg. He could have go and get a beer for Charlie and Bill during this song. Is his overacting guitar more in the background of the mix on this official release?

Don't understand why they release this instead of PARADISO 95 (The DELUXE 20 Years Anniversary BOX).
I will buy the Marquee 71 CD+DVD ofcourse and watch the DVD one time and put it on the shelf taking the IORR reviews in mind.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-24 00:46 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: forsure ()
Date: June 24, 2015 00:40

just got the vinyl today. My needle broke last week angry smiley

Date: June 24, 2015 00:49

forsure
just got the vinyl today. My needle broke last week angry smiley
Better Walk The Dog tonight.

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: June 24, 2015 00:51

RipThisBone
I don't like Mick Taylor's overdoodling on the bootleg. He could have go and get a beer for Charlie and Bill during this song
Your overdoodling is my English country pickin'

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 24, 2015 00:52

My needle broke last week

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Poetry ()
Date: June 24, 2015 00:54

kleermaker
Mathijs

Mathijs

To each his own - I like a lot of the post 1975 shows as much as the older ones. To put down anything the band did after 1975 just because Mick Taylor is not there is very far fetched to me. You do not like post 75 Stones - that is ok, but to put it this way is more of an insult to the band than just an opinion. But your statement is not the general truth - its is subjective, just as that of Mathijs, or mine.

Back to topic - I like Marquee for the ragged vibe - it has a charm of its own to me.

Date: June 24, 2015 00:54

2000man
RipThisBone
I don't like Mick Taylor's overdoodling on the bootleg. He could have go and get a beer for Charlie and Bill during this song
Your overdoodling is my English country pickin'

Well good for you Country (2000man) Boy.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 24, 2015 01:17

I really like this package for what it is. Taylor's noodling doesn't bother me but his playing in Roundhouse HTW is distracting to me. He fills in the spaces too much. The packaging is a tad shoddy but overall I'm satisfied.

I'm surprised Keith okayed the shot of him "sleeping" on stage in the booklet. The story is he was tuning a 12-string for Wild Horses and "fell asleep" but the guitar next to his prostrate form is a 6-string.

Anyway, if this is the bad, I can't wait to see the good.

Posted by: slowhand ()
Date: June 24, 2015 02:26

kleermaker
Mathijs

Mathijs

Marquee higher than Leeds? Are we listening to the same show? Leeds is miles better, the only thing great about Marquee is the rare inclusion of "I Got The Blues", other than that...meh.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: June 24, 2015 02:39

slowhand
kleermaker
Mathijs

Mathijs

Marquee higher than Leeds? Are we listening to the same show? Leeds is miles better, the only thing great about Marquee is the rare inclusion of "I Got The Blues", other than that...meh.

I would rate Marquee over Leeds too. I really like the loose mood of the performance. The sound on the Blu Ray is very good. Way better sound than Leeds and Roundhouse. But everybody will have an other opinion on this.

Posted by: mikesnaps ()
Date: June 24, 2015 14:37

I love the Marquee performance. I got the blues, Dead Flowers and Let it Rock are great. I prefer it to the Hamptom 81 and LA forum 75 releases.
I have always found the Stones live sound from 81 tour pedestrian and the 75 performance far too sloppy and uninspiring.
Marquee was a loose performance but it has that magical quality only the Stones can deliver. If only the Madison Square Garden performances from 69 filmed for Gimme Shelter could be released in their entirety that would be magic!

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2301
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home