Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: ALBUM DEATH MATCH (solo edition) - Mick vs. Keith - Wandering Spirit vs. Talk Is Cheap
Date: May 26, 2015 11:38

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
mickschix
AH!!!!!!!!!! I love pulling Keef fans out their seats by the short hairs! THRILLING!
And Treaclefingers, you are RIGHT, the comparison is between WS and TIC not MO...glad you pointed that out. Just that I really dislike MO a lot! Not fond of ANY of Keith's solo stuff, and of course not every track on every Mick solo cd is wonderful, but if you compare entire catalogs, MJ is clearly the overall winner.IMO!! >grinning smiley<

I was offended by main offender when it came out, mainly because it TIC had set such a high standard. A couple of ok tracks but not enough there for me to even think about it, let alone ever grab for the CD.

Both TIC and Wandering Spirit are fantastic albums...both guys top of their (solo) game...I wonder whether either could even have been improved as 'Rolling Stones albums'.

I do wonder that, because it's not as though the band's subsequent albums were better. Moments of greatness, 1/2 of ABB, Out of Control, Saint, Thief, 1/2 of Voodoo, D&G and Plundered (OK that's a cheat, as is SG deluxe).

As entire albums though, Wandering Spirit and TIC beat them all.

This is an outrage

Wicked As It Seems and Eileen make Main Offender better than 76 1/2 other things you can name

I did mention MO had two ok tracks...so whaddya want from me?!

I want you to listen to Hate It When You Leave and perhaps adjust that stance?

Re: ALBUM DEATH MATCH (solo edition) - Mick vs. Keith - Wandering Spirit vs. Talk Is Cheap
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 26, 2015 15:32

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
mickschix
AH!!!!!!!!!! I love pulling Keef fans out their seats by the short hairs! THRILLING!
And Treaclefingers, you are RIGHT, the comparison is between WS and TIC not MO...glad you pointed that out. Just that I really dislike MO a lot! Not fond of ANY of Keith's solo stuff, and of course not every track on every Mick solo cd is wonderful, but if you compare entire catalogs, MJ is clearly the overall winner.IMO!! >grinning smiley<

I was offended by main offender when it came out, mainly because it TIC had set such a high standard. A couple of ok tracks but not enough there for me to even think about it, let alone ever grab for the CD.

Both TIC and Wandering Spirit are fantastic albums...both guys top of their (solo) game...I wonder whether either could even have been improved as 'Rolling Stones albums'.

I do wonder that, because it's not as though the band's subsequent albums were better. Moments of greatness, 1/2 of ABB, Out of Control, Saint, Thief, 1/2 of Voodoo, D&G and Plundered (OK that's a cheat, as is SG deluxe).

This is an outrage

Wicked As It Seems and Eileen make Main Offender better than 76 1/2 other things you can name

I Hate It When You Tell Me What To Do, but I will make an exception just this once.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 26, 2015 18:27

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
mickschix

This is an outrage

I Hate It When You Tell Me What To Do, but I will make an exception just this once.

Demon makes four.
Demon is as good as Beast Of Burden...another Keith track

Date: May 26, 2015 18:52

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
mickschix

This is an outrage

Demon makes four.

I'll take Devil (as in SFTD) over Demon in a heartbeat (and it's a Mick track).

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 19:02

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
mickschix

This is an outrage

Demon makes four.

I'll take Devil (as in SFTD) over Demon in a heartbeat (and it's a Mick track).

Ha ha ha
Didn't you hear, mick Taylor was the one who made SFTD great? Maybe if he played on Demon it would be even better than SFTD!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 22:27 by Turner68.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 26, 2015 21:52

Turner68, and without MICK, Keith would be DEAD! Or in jail. Mick saved his ass so many times, you can't count them all. Toronto is the big SAVE that comes to mind. Keith nearly ended the Stones career in '77 with that drug bust...convicted of TRAFFICKING! Are you kidding me? Mick hired the very best lawyer and got the sentence redused to A CHARITY GIG and public service. Talk about a SAVE!
And what exactly has Keith ever done to help Mick except bad mouth him in LIFE!?
And KEITH knows this! Keith and his relationship with Gram Parsons was another example of almost ending the band. Gram was a hanger-on who was constantlyin search of drugs. He brought drug dealers right to Nellcote while the band was recording EXILE...THAT is WHY Mick was not a Gram fan!
You can come up with any lame excuses that you want to fabricate but the truth is the truth...hard to dismiss.

Date: May 26, 2015 22:26

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
mickschix

This is an outrage

Those are the words I wanna hear..

Date: May 26, 2015 22:34

mickschix
Turner68, and without MICK, Keith would be DEAD! Or in jail. Mick saved his ass so many times, you can't count them all. Toronto is the big SAVE that comes to mind. Keith nearly ended the Stones career in '77 with that drug bust...convicted of TRAFFICKING! Are you kidding me? Mick hired the very best lawyer and got the sentence redused to A CHARITY GIG and public service. Talk about a SAVE!
And what exactly has Keith ever done to help Mick except bad mouth him in LIFE!?
And KEITH knows this! Keith and his relationship with Gram Parsons was another example of almost ending the band. Gram was a hanger-on who was constantlyin search of drugs. He brought drug dealers right to Nellcote while the band was recording EXILE...THAT is WHY Mick was not a Gram fan!
You can come up with any lame excuses that you want to fabricate but the truth is the truth...hard to dismiss.

just giving you a taste of your own medicine my dear :-) no need to get defensive, your boy mick is a knight after all...

my message was written in response to you saying "AH!!!!!!!!!! I love pulling Keef fans out their seats by the short hairs! THRILLING!"

unlike lennon and mccartney, keith and mick need each other, and they know that better than anyone. truly a great partnership. gold rings on them and all who love to listen them.

so anyway, yeah, don't take it so hard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 22:35 by Turner68.

Date: May 26, 2015 22:35

Turner68
mickschix

just giving you a taste of your own medicine my dear :-)

my message was written in response to you saying "AH!!!!!!!!!! I love pulling Keef fans out their seats by the short hairs! THRILLING!"

unlike lennon and mccartney, keith and mick need each other, and they know that better than anyone. truly a great partnership. gold rings on them and all who love to listen them.

so anyway, yeah, don't take it so hard.

hey, don't tear me up!

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 26, 2015 22:59

It really doesn't matter whether Keith's songs are better than Mick's or not - his singing voice makes listening through a whole album unbearable. For a song or two it is ok, but not for a whole album. So Talk Is Cheap could have had the best compositions and musical performances ever by anybody, but even if that really was the case, the voice destroyed it all. Keith's solo albums came 10 to 15 years too late, with his 70's voice still intact they (mainly Talk Is Cheap, that is) could have been huge, but not with this cough, cough, cough...

Hate It When You Leave is Main Offender's standout track for me, the rest is somewhere between quite ok (Eileen, Wicked As It Seems) and just plain boring heard-it-all-before aimless riffing or unmemorable reggae (Words Of Wonder).

That said, I'm still pissed at both Mick and Keith because they kinda wasted great song material for solo albums and robbed themselves and us of at least one, if not two great Stones albums that would nowadays probably considered as "classics".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 23:03 by alimente.

Date: May 27, 2015 00:10

alimente
It really doesn't matter whether Keith's songs are better than Mick's or not - his singing voice makes listening through a whole album unbearable. For a song or two it is ok, but not for a whole album. So Talk Is Cheap could have had the best compositions and musical performances ever by anybody, but even if that really was the case, the voice destroyed it all. Keith's solo albums came 10 to 15 years too late, with his 70's voice still intact they (mainly Talk Is Cheap, that is) could have been huge, but not with this cough, cough, cough...

Hate It When You Leave is Main Offender's standout track for me, the rest is somewhere between quite ok (Eileen, Wicked As It Seems) and just plain boring heard-it-all-before aimless riffing or unmemorable reggae (Words Of Wonder).

That said, I'm still pissed at both Mick and Keith because they kinda wasted great song material for solo albums and robbed themselves and us of at least one, if not two great Stones albums that would nowadays probably considered as "classics".

I think your assessment of Keith's vocal is a tad harsh...make no mistake for one is glorious.

No comment on MO...I think most people have my MO on that one

Date: May 27, 2015 00:13

treaclefingers
alimente

I think your assessment of Keith's vocal is a tad harsh...make no mistake for one is glorious.

so if this is a death match, how does it eventually conclude?
perhaps the answer lies in the title "wandering spirit" - the album is a zombie?

Date: May 27, 2015 00:18

Turner68
treaclefingers
alimente

perhaps the answer lies in the title "wandering spirit" - the album is a zombie?
Oh, Mick obliterated Keith.... But it was close.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 27, 2015 00:24

treaclefingers
alimente

But only a tad harsh... Make No Mistake - well, like I said, his voice is ok for one or two songs, but no consistent listening through an entire album, it is just too one-dimensional.

And I simply love his younger voice, You Got The Silver, Happy, Coming Down Again, Before They Make Me Run, Run Rudolph Run, The Harder They Come, We Had It All, the Toronto 1977 sessions or his parts in Salt Of The Earth & Memory Motel - with that voice it would have been a totally different affair...

Date: May 27, 2015 00:36

treaclefingers
Turner68
treaclefingers
alimente

i didn't get that memo.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 27, 2015 02:24

mickschix

None of this strange rambling defensive argument has anything to do with the music. Friends help each other. Happens all day long...You know how Keith saved Micks ass? You can't seem to see past your own Jagger so I'll tell you...Taught him a few guitar notes and kept the Stones together. That's all. Mick was headed towards a lifetime of crappy wish I was Mike Jackson she's the boss shite...Keith went upside his head commercially and artistically...

Mick would've been a footnote in time regarded as the greatest front man that wasn't.

Date: May 27, 2015 18:09

Turner68
treaclefingers
Turner68
treaclefingers
alimente

i didn't get that memo.

Look, if you didn't sign up to be on the distribution list, don't bust my hump about it.

Date: May 27, 2015 22:20

alimente
treaclefingers
alimente

But only a tad harsh... Make No Mistake - well, like I said, his voice is ok for one or two songs, but no consistent listening through an entire album, it is just too one-dimensional.

And I simply love his younger voice, You Got The Silver, Happy, Coming Down Again, Before They Make Me Run, Run Rudolph Run, The Harder They Come, We Had It All, the Toronto 1977 sessions or his parts in Salt Of The Earth & Memory Motel - with that voice it would have been a totally different affair...

In a way I agree about the vocals. But when I'm listening to the band's sound on TIC and MO the vocals fit right in. Raw and unpolished.

You Don't Move Me is a good example, imo. Keith probably have several "better" guitar takes, but he kept those that almost fell apart for a reason. Same with his singing, I guess.

Date: May 27, 2015 22:38

DandelionPowderman
alimente
treaclefingers
alimente

In a way I agree about the vocals. But when I'm listening to the band's sound on TIC and MO the vocals fit right in. Raw and unpolished.

You Don't Move Me is a good example, imo. Keith probably have several "better" guitar takes, but he kept those that almost fell apart for a reason. Same with his singing, I guess.

He does a good job of picking songs that are good for his voice. I will admit that certain songs - before they make me run for example - are no longer good for his voice. It certainly has changed. I love him and Sarah dash on "make no mistake" though.

Date: May 28, 2015 09:04

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
alimente
treaclefingers
alimente

He does a good job of picking songs that are good for his voice. I will admit that certain songs - before they make me run for example - are no longer good for his voice. It certainly has changed. I love him and Sarah dash on "make no mistake" though.

I don't disagree with the assertion that the change in his voice hampers the older tunes. However, I think that the newer material suffers more from the material itself, than his voice.

For instance, with This Place I Empty Keith's vocal is excellent, and the song happens to be a highlight on ABB. Contrast that with Infamy, where he sounds awful and I believe that is more because the song is so weak.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 28, 2015 11:50

treaclefingers
Turner68
DandelionPowderman
alimente
treaclefingers
alimente

I don't disagree with the assertion that the change in his voice hampers the older tunes. However, I think that the newer material suffers more from the material itself, than his voice.

For instance, with This Place I Empty Keith's vocal is excellent, and the song happens to be a highlight on ABB. Contrast that with Infamy, where he sounds awful and I believe that is more because the song is so weak.

Agreed. But I think his voice works very well on "Hate It When You Leave", or "Thief In The Night", "Wicked As It Seems", and "Slipping Away", for instance.
I think they actually work excepcionally well *because* of Keith's voice.

Date: May 28, 2015 11:52

on the basis of this new evidence regarding keith's voice i am appealing the decision on this death match and ask that it be re-opened!!!!!

i shall be writing you all a memo about it in the morning.

- Turner.

Date: May 28, 2015 14:02

He sings awful on How Can I Stop. At the same time, it's imo one of the Stones's best songs ever, and his raspy vocals gels right in within the atmosphere of the song.

Even the "maybe baby"-line and the following laughter from Ronnie fits in there! grinning smiley

Date: May 28, 2015 16:28

DandelionPowderman
He sings awful on How Can I Stop. At the same time, it's imo one of the Stones's best songs ever, and his raspy vocals gels right in within the atmosphere of the song.

Even the "maybe baby"-line and the following laughter from Ronnie fits in there! grinning smiley

I'll give you one thing, I do like Ronnie's laughter.

Date: July 21, 2015 05:17

Turner68
on the basis of this new evidence regarding keith's voice i am appealing the decision on this death match and ask that it be re-opened!!!!!

i shall be writing you all a memo about it in the morning.

- Turner.

Still waiting for the supposed memo from Turner.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 21, 2015 11:47

Talk Is Cheap is a pretty good album for a non-singer, but Wandering Spirit is outstanding. If you think of Mick´s other solo-albums, which are truly awful, WS is almost a miracle. Of course, even WS has some fillers on it, but certainly not as much as Talk Is Cheap. But in the very first place Talk Is Cheap suffers from the singer´s voice.

After listening to the A-side of the album I usually need a long break before continuing with the B-side.

Mick´s vocals are great (should say fantastic) on WS and with Evening Gown the album also contains the last enjoyable Jagger-Ballad. After that his ballad-singing became more and more ridiculous.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 21, 2015 12:36

Well, needing a break halfway through an album means nothing. When I try listening to any of the songs on Wandering Spirit, I need a break halfway through the song.
It's not even bad and I can even see how maybe some of the songs have potential, but everything - instruments, arrangements and (especially) vocals - sounds so fake.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 21, 2015 13:19

This is a "provoke an argument" type of thread lol.
So i have learnt a lesson on here not to get drawn in.
People who prefer Mick will go with WS. People who prefer Keith will go with TIC.
I happen to think Both are very good albums. Best mick on his own. Best keith on his own. So far winking smiley
There i did it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-21 14:15 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: July 21, 2015 13:31

I don't like a lot MJ and KR outside the RS, but I prefer Talk Is Cheap.

Date: July 21, 2015 18:57

keefriffhards
This is a "provoke an argument" type of thread lol.
So i have learnt a lesson on here not to get drawn in.
People who prefer Mick will go with WS. People who prefer Keith will go with TIC.
I happen to think Both are very good albums. Best mick on his own. Best keith on his own. So far winking smiley
There i did it.

both are ridiculously great albums. I think TIC is best 'latter half of the 80s' 'stones-album' and WS best 'stones-album' of the 90s.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1563
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home