Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
ALBUM DEATH MATCH (solo edition) - Mick vs. Keith - Wandering Spirit vs. Talk Is Cheap
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 18, 2015 19:05

ohhhh....nelly.

Yeah, we're about to tread into a pretty dangerous area now...Mick vs. Keith. The BEST vs. The BEST....Wandering Spirit/Talk Is Cheap Tete-a-tete!

All right guys, keep it clean!

Wired All Night vs. Big Enough - easy, Mick takes round one...lovely way to kick off your album...shoulda been on a stones album (that might be the recurring theme here, come to think of it) 1-0

Sweet Thing vs. Take It So Hard - LOVE IT! Battle of the lead singles...they must have been in a band together before to come up with putting the lead single in the number two spot. Anyhoo....I do love both. Sweet Thing bass line is so low it blows my cheap speakers on any volume over 5. This one is quite difficult actually...let's give it to Keith, 1-1

Out Of Focus vs. Struggle - this one is not a struggle at all. Out of Focus is sublime quasi-gospel...transcendent. 2-1.

Don't Tear Me Up vs. I Could Have Stood You Up. - A good song, and a great song. Don't Tear Me Up is leagues above ICHSYU...Mick is on a tear 3-1

Put Me In The Trash vs. Make No Mistake - I LOVE PMITT...love it. But make no mistake about it, MNM may be the best song on both albums...easy...3-2

Use Me vs. You Don't Move Me - keith, you just don't move me with this one, and I don't like you attacking mick that way either. Use Me is fantastic, Mick at his growliest best. 4-2

Evening Gown vs. How I Wish - close matchup here...this one's unexpected from Mick, and unexpectedly good. How I wish I liked the Keith song better! sad smiley Mick widening the lead, 5-2

Mother of a Man vs. Rockawhile - landslide. Mick. 6-2

Think vs. Whip It Up - I think...7-2

Wandering Spirit vs. Locked Away - OK, this could be my favourite song on MJs, and then we have a pretty decent Keith ballad...how I wish we could have had locked away go up against something else. LOVE WANDERING SPIRIT (the song) 8-2

Hang On To Me Tonight vs. It Means A Lot - gorgeous Mick ballad, vs. a song that doesn't really mean a lot. Mick! 9-2

Oh man...can't believe how one sided that was on the track by track battle. I actually love Keith's album only marginally less than Mick's.

OK, final song I've Been Lonely For So Long vs.______ Keith wisely doesn't include another track, let's give him this one for editing capability...9-3

Mick trounces Keith....pummels him!

Wow, good job MJ, don't rub it in Keith's face, that wouldn't be nice.

Re: ALBUM DEATH MATCH (solo edition) - Mick vs. Keith - Wandering Spirit vs. Talk Is Cheap
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 18, 2015 20:33

excellent analysis treacle.

and the true standout is, as you say, Make no Mistake..

..and, its good MJ made a much better effort on his third try..would've been sad if it wasn't..

Re: ALBUM DEATH MATCH (solo edition) - Mick vs. Keith - Wandering Spirit vs. Talk Is Cheap
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 18, 2015 20:36

Shouldn't you be comparing WS with MO ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 18, 2015 20:39

gotdablouse
Shouldn't you be comparing WS with MO ?

I wanted to compare the best albums by each one...maybe we should go Primitive Cool vs. Main Offender?

Date: May 18, 2015 20:43

duke richardson

..and, its good MJ made a much better effort on his third try..would've been sad if it wasn't..

you are far too kind duke. weird how lopsided it seems, when you really dig in.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 18, 2015 20:58

treaclefingers
duke richardson

you are far too kind duke. weird how lopsided it seems, when you really dig in.

well if you did a Ronnie vs Mick or Keith, any of Ronnies would win..

except maybe Gimme Some Neck..

and even that one is better than Mick's first two..

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 18, 2015 21:06

This is a no brainer for me, since MO is Micks album I dislike the most!

Wired All Night vs. Big Enough - Mick plays Bon Jovi, Keith JB: Big Enough wins easy. 0-1

Sweet Thing vs. Take It So Hard - Take it so Hard is HUGE, but Mick wins this one: 1-1

Out Of Focus vs. Struggle - STRUGGLE - one of Keith's best guitar intros ever! 1-2

Don't Tear Me Up vs. I Could Have Stood You Up. - Stood you up! Mick's re-cooks Hard Woman for the umpteenth time. First was the best. 1-3

Put Me In The Trash vs. Make No Mistake - another easy win for Keith here. 1-4

Use Me vs. You Don't Move Me - Can't even remember Jags one, but You don't move me is Keith's best solo song, so I won't even bother go check. 1-5

Evening Gown vs. How I Wish - This time Mick sounds sincere, I like it. Keith is posing. 2-5

Mother of a Man vs. Rockawhile - Keith's rehash of Am I Groovin You wins. 2-6

Think vs. Whip It Up - Whip 2-7

Wandering Spirit vs. Locked Away - Another easy one: Locked Away is a matter of beauty! 2-8

Hang On To Me Tonight vs. It Means A Lot - don't want to be punitive, I'll let Mick have this one! 3-8

Last ones on Wondering spirit I won't rate .. awful.

C

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 18, 2015 21:11

This is a farce...

Date: May 18, 2015 21:14

Munichhilton
This is a farce...

no, you need to sound more authoritative, something like, "THIS, IS CNN"

Date: May 18, 2015 21:16

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
This is a farce...

Ok ok
This is a gosh darn farce...

Date: May 18, 2015 21:18

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
Munichhilton
This is a farce...

Ok ok
This is a gosh darn farce...

a little 'gomer pyle', but an improvement.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 18, 2015 21:19

Somebody who started this post really likes Mick. IMHO, ain't nothing to compare. Keith's first solo album, as one reviewer put it after the album came out, "Is the best Rolling Stones album in years". Can't disagree with that assessment. Talk Is Cheap rocks.

Date: May 18, 2015 21:21

The only positive aspect of Wandering Spirit is its Mick trying to be Keith solo...that's why it's his only solo effort that doesn't completely, totally and in all other ways suck

Date: May 18, 2015 21:22

dmay
Somebody who started this post really likes Mick. IMHO, ain't nothing to compare. Keith's first solo album, as one reviewer put it after the album came out, "Is the best Rolling Stones album in years". Can't disagree with that assessment. Talk Is Cheap rocks.

Hey, I love TIC...it was the best stones album in years.

And Wandering Spirit was the best stones album since TIC.

Do the analysis otherwise you're just spouting off!

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: May 18, 2015 21:24

I agree, dmay. I really like WS, it is Mick's best solo effort, but I think I'd go with Talk Is Cheap as the better album.

Date: May 18, 2015 21:25

Munichhilton
The only positive aspect of Wandering Spirit is its Mick trying to be Keith solo...that's why it's his only solo effort that doesn't completely, totally and in all other ways suck

I'm not going to argue that Mick was 'competing' with Keith on this one, and it drove him to make it better. Thank god for that.

If you're not going to do a track by track though, you're not doing the analysis and can't really be qualified to give an opinion now, can you?

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 18, 2015 21:28

treaclefingers
ohhhh....nelly.

Yeah, we're about to tread into a pretty dangerous area now...Mick vs. Keith. The BEST vs. The BEST....Wandering Spirit/Talk Is Cheap Tete-a-tete!

Wired All Night vs. Big Enough - easy, Mick takes round one...lovely way to kick off your album...shoulda been on a stones album (that might be the recurring theme here, come to think of it) 1-0

Sweet Thing vs. Take It So Hard - LOVE IT! Battle of the lead singles...they must have been in a band together before to come up with putting the lead single in the number two spot. Anyhoo....I do love both. Sweet Thing bass line is so low it blows my cheap speakers on any volume over 5. This one is quite difficult actually...let's give it to Keith, 1-1

Out Of Focus vs. Struggle - this one is not a struggle at all. Out of Focus is sublime quasi-gospel...transcendent. 2-1.

Don't Tear Me Up vs. I Could Have Stood You Up. - A good song, and a great song. Don't Tear Me Up is leagues above ICHSYU...Mick is on a tear 3-1

Put Me In The Trash vs. Make No Mistake - I LOVE PMITT...love it. But make no mistake about it, MNM may be the best song on both albums...easy...3-2

Use Me vs. You Don't Move Me - keith, you just don't move me with this one, and I don't like you attacking mick that way either. Use Me is fantastic, Mick at his growliest best. 4-2

Evening Gown vs. How I Wish - close matchup here...this one's unexpected from Mick, and unexpectedly good. How I wish I liked the Keith song better! sad smiley Mick widening the lead, 5-2

Wandering Spirit vs. Locked Away - OK, this could be my favourite song on MJs, and then we have a pretty decent Keith ballad...how I wish we could have had locked away go up against something else. LOVE WANDERING SPIRIT (the song) 8-2

Hang On To Me Tonight vs. It Means A Lot - gorgeous Mick ballad, vs. a song that doesn't really mean a lot. Mick! 9-2

Oh man...can't believe how one sided that was on the track by track battle. I actually love Keith's album only marginally less than Mick's.

OK, final song I've Been Lonely For So Long vs.______ Keith wisely doesn't include another track, let's give him this one for editing capability...9-3

You are so OFF on this it is scarey

Date: May 18, 2015 21:30

potus43
treaclefingers
ohhhh....nelly.

Don't be frightened, just rate it yourself

Date: May 18, 2015 21:30

treaclefingers
Munichhilton

I'm not going to argue that Mick was 'competing' with Keith on this one, and it drove him to make it better. Thank god for that.

If you're not going to do a track by track though, you're not doing the analysis and can't really be qualified to give an opinion now, can you?

No. I can't. I feel I should be dismissed summarily...

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 18, 2015 21:31

Hey, Treaclefingers, meant no offense to ya. I have all of Mick and Keith's solo stuff, but TIC is the only one I still listen to. On another note, I am one of those fools who bought Mick and Dave Stewart's "Superheavy" album project.

Date: May 18, 2015 21:34

dmay
Hey, Treaclefingers, meant no offense to ya. I have all of Mick and Keith's solo stuff, but TIC is the only one I still listen to. On another note, I am one of those fools who bought Mick and Dave Stewart's "Superheavy" album project.

no worries dmay, I'm in no way offended!

...and I have it all as well, but do enjoy SH.

I was of the opinion I wasn't sure whether I liked WS or TIC better until I went through the individual songs and it was a bit of an eye opener.

Date: May 18, 2015 23:02

Aren't there at least two more songs on WS. Angel In My Heart and Handsome Molly?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 18, 2015 23:25

DandelionPowderman
Aren't there at least two more songs on WS. Angel In My Heart and Handsome Molly?

Yes, but as noted above, its better to try to pretend its not the case!

C

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: May 18, 2015 23:26

treaclefingers
potus43
treaclefingers
ohhhh....nelly.

Don't be frightened, just rate it yourself

Wired All Night vs. Big Enough - Tough choice. But Big Enough is a less of a throw away, even if that's exactly what WAN tries to evoke. 0-1

Sweet Thing vs. Take It So Hard - LOVE IT! Battle of the lead singles...they must have been in a band together before to come up with putting the lead single in the number two spot. Anyhoo....I do love both. Sweet Thing bass line is so low it blows my cheap speakers on any volume over 5. This one is quite difficult actually...let's give it to Mick 1 - 1. ST is the better track. It's like MY number two.

Out Of Focus vs. Struggle - this one is not a struggle at all. 1-2

Don't Tear Me Up vs. I Could Have Stood You Up. - A good song, and a great song. ICHSYU...Mick is on a tear 1-3

Put Me In The Trash vs. Make No Mistake - Easy, 1-4

Use Me vs. You Don't Move Me - 1 - 5

Evening Gown vs. How I Wish - close matchup here...this one's unexpected from Mick, and unexpectedly good. How I wish I liked the Keith song better! sad smiley Mick widening the lead, 2-5

Mother of a Man vs. Rockawhile - landslide. Mick. 3 - 6

Think vs. Whip It Up - I think...4 - 7

Wandering Spirit vs. Locked Away - OK, this could be my favourite song on MJs, and then we have a pretty decent Keith ballad...how I wish we could have had locked away go up against something else. LOVE WANDERING SPIRIT (the song) 5 - 7

Hang On To Me Tonight vs. It Means A Lot - gorgeous Mick ballad, vs. a song that doesn't really mean a lot. Mick! 5 - 8

In the end Keith wins, because the song material is simply stronger, but Wandering Spirit is the one I play more often.

Date: May 18, 2015 23:26

DandelionPowderman

HEY! You're right...I wasn't looking at my CD, the album tracklist on google...didn't see it there.

Anyhoo, doesn't change the outcome, even if one dislikes one, the other, or both.

Date: May 18, 2015 23:28

I like both.

Will do the death match tomorrow.

Your take on You Don't Move Me doesn't move me, btw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-18 23:30 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: May 18, 2015 23:29

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

HEY! You're right...I wasn't looking at my CD, the album tracklist on google...didn't see it there.

Anyhoo, doesn't change the outcome, even if one dislikes one, the other, or both.

I've Been Lonely For Too Long as well.
It feels like happiness could come along.

Date: May 18, 2015 23:29

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

Well I don't think this is the thread to discuss your social life.

Date: May 18, 2015 23:31

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

Well I don't think this is the thread to discuss your social life.

LOL! You are all I have.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 18, 2015 23:46

It's hard to match up one song against another.

1. Gimme Shelter or Come Together? (GS best song in rock history, Stones 1-0)
2. Love in Vain or Something (Beatles 1-1)
3. Country Honk or Maxwell's Silver Hammer (Puh-leeeze. Stones 2-1)
4. Live with Me or Oh Darling (Stones 3-1)
5. Let it Bleed or Octopus' Garden (Uh, yeah. Stones 4-1)
6. Midnight Rambler or I Want You (Again, not even close. Stones 5-1
7. You Got the Silver or Here Comes the Sun (OK, Harrison tries to keep things close. Still Stones 5-2)
8. Monkey Man or Because (MM epic. 6-2)
9. You Can't Always Get What You Want or Medley (close. The Stones get points for having a complete, finished songs, but the Medley is beautiful 6-3)

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1155
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home