Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: ALBUM DEATH MATCH (solo edition) - Mick vs. Keith - Wandering Spirit vs. Talk Is Cheap
Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: May 18, 2015 23:49

Both Keith albums are better than Wandering Spirit, which is in fact Mick's best solo effort.

Re: ALBUM DEATH MATCH (solo edition) - Mick vs. Keith - Wandering Spirit vs. Talk Is Cheap
Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: May 19, 2015 00:01

Quote treaclefingers:
"Use Me vs. You Don't Move Me - keith, you just don't move me with this one, and I don't like you attacking mick that way either. Use Me is fantastic, Mick at his growliest best. 4-2".

Nonsense.
Use Me and Think are coversongs.
You Don't Move Me (anymore)! Great lyrics by Keith. Almost as good as VICTOR HUGO.

Just saying:
The two combined to say 16-17 songs and recorded by THE ROLLING STONES at the time would have been a contender to EXILE ...drinking smiley

Wired All Night vs. Big Enough - 1-0

Sweet Thing vs. Take It So Hard - 1-1

Out Of Focus vs. Struggle - 2-1.

Don't Tear Me Up vs. I Could Have Stood You Up. - 3-1

Put Me In The Trash vs. Make No Mistake - 3-2

Use Me vs. You Don't Move Me - 3-3

Evening Gown vs. How I Wish - 4-3

Mother Of A Man vs. Rockawhile - 5-3

Think vs. Whip It Up - 5-4

Wandering Spirit vs. Locked Away - 6-4

Hang On To Me Tonight vs. It Means A Lot - 6-5

Next ALBUM DEATH MATCH: Exile On Mainstreet vs. WANDERING IS CHEAP!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-19 00:04 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: May 19, 2015 00:01

Tough one.

It's a tie.

But Sweet Thing is my favourite Stonesrelated songs in the last 34 years.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 19, 2015 00:15

drbryant
It's hard to match up one song against another.

1. Gimme Shelter or Come Together? (GS best song in rock history, Stones 1-0)
2. Love in Vain or Something (Beatles 1-1)
3. Country Honk or Maxwell's Silver Hammer (Puh-leeeze. Stones 2-1)
4. Live with Me or Oh Darling (Stones 3-1)
5. Let it Bleed or Octopus' Garden (Uh, yeah. Stones 4-1)
6. Midnight Rambler or I Want You (Again, not even close. Stones 5-1
7. You Got the Silver or Here Comes the Sun (OK, Harrison tries to keep things close. Still Stones 5-2)
8. Monkey Man or Because (MM epic. 6-2)
9. You Can't Always Get What You Want or Medley (close. The Stones get points for having a complete, finished songs, but the Medley is beautiful 6-3)

Your conclusions are sound, Let it Bleed is the better album and I agree with the outcomes of each of your matchups...shouldn't you be starting this in a different thread though?!

Seems as though it was easier than you thought!

Date: May 19, 2015 02:44

DandelionPowderman
I like both.

Will do the death match tomorrow.

Your take on You Don't Move Me doesn't move me, btw.

Does it move your bowels? Does mine.

Date: May 19, 2015 02:48

RipThisBone
Quote treaclefingers:
"Use Me vs. You Don't Move Me - keith, you just don't move me with this one, and I don't like you attacking mick that way either. Use Me is fantastic, Mick at his growliest best. 4-2".

Nonsense.

You Don't Move Me (anymore)! Great lyrics by Keith. Almost as good as VICTOR HUGO.

one in the screaming hell would that have to do with anything? so does that mean we can't rate Not Fade Away, It's All Over Now, or Little Red Rooster because someone else did them before? How does someone doing a mind-blowingly good cover negate it from being considered a song?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 19, 2015 03:05

treaclefingers
RipThisBone
Quote treaclefingers:

Nonsense.

one in the screaming hell would that have to do with anything? so does that mean we can't rate Not Fade Away, It's All Over Now, or Little Red Rooster because someone else did them before? How does someone doing a mind-blowingly good cover negate it from being considered a song?

Put down the blueberry brandy...this is a family site

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 19, 2015 15:15

Wired All Night vs. Big Enough - Wired All Night

Sweet Thing vs. Take It So Hard - Take It So Hard

Out Of Focus vs. Struggle - Struggle

Don't Tear Me Up vs. I Could Have Stood You Up - Don't Tear Me Up

Put Me In The Trash vs. Make No Mistake - Put Me In The Trash

Use Me vs. You Don't Move Me - You Don't Move Me

Evening Gown vs. How I Wish - TIE

Mother Of A Man vs. Rockawhile - Rockawhile

Think vs. Whip It Up - Whip It Up

Wandering Spirit vs. Locked Away - Locked Away

Hang On To Me Tonight vs. It Means A Lot - Hang On To Me Tonight

Close. Keith wins.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 19, 2015 15:19

Talk is Cheap. It's the best Stones album recorded as such since Some Girls. (Tattoo You being a compilation.)

Date: May 19, 2015 15:20

Wired All Night vs. Big Enough - 0-1

Sweet Thing vs. Take It So Hard - 0-2

Out Of Focus vs. Struggle - 0-3

Don't Tear Me Up vs. I Could Have Stood You Up. - 1-3

Put Me In The Trash vs. Make No Mistake - 1-4

Use Me vs. You Don't Move Me - 1-5

Evening Gown vs. How I Wish - 2-5

Mother Of A Man vs. Rockawhile - 2-6

Think vs. Whip It Up - 2-7

Wandering Spirit vs. Locked Away - 2-8

Hang On To Me Tonight vs. It Means A Lot - 2-9

I've Been Lonely For So Long vs. ... – 3-9

Angel In My Heart vs. ... 4-9

Handsome Molly vs. ... 5-9

Date: May 19, 2015 15:22

lol "it means a lot" is so bad.

Date: May 19, 2015 15:29

Turner68

Compared to Mother Of A Man it's rock history.

Date: May 19, 2015 15:31

DandelionPowderman
Turner68

i agree with your votes. i was just reliving the album by going through your list. i remember thinking when i first played "talk is cheap" that he should have just ended it one song sooner. what you don't play is as important as what you do :-)

Date: May 19, 2015 15:36

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Turner68

i agree with your votes. i was just reliving the album by going through your list. i remember thinking when i first played "talk is cheap" that he should have just ended it one song sooner. what you don't play is as important as what you do :-)

I was somewhat disappointed during my first spin of Talk is Cheap. I thought it was muddy and patchy, and Keith's vocals were poorer than I was used to.

But, man, did it grow on me!

It Means A Lot is a very loose jam, that's true smiling smiley I remember at the time that I liked Keith's guitar attacks on it, though. As a matter of fact, I still do thumbs up

Wandering Spirit has had the opposite effect on me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-19 15:41 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 19, 2015 15:41

DandelionPowderman
Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Turner68

I was somewhat disappointed during my first spin of Talk is Cheap. I thought it was muddy and patchy, and Keith's vocals were poorer than I was used to.

It Means A Lot is a very loose jam, that's true smiling smiley I remember at the time that I liked Keith's guitar attacks on it, though. As a matter of fact, I still do thumbs up

i should go back and listen to it.

i always loved Talk is Cheap. bought it the day it came out. just never liked It Means A Lot.

maybe you just weren't used to the "new" Keith voice (singing lower, smokier, rougher)?

getting sarah dash to sing with him on the record was a great call.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 19, 2015 15:44

Munichhilton
The only positive aspect of Wandering Spirit is its Mick trying to be Keith solo...that's why it's his only solo effort that doesn't completely, totally and in all other ways suck

I have to say I disagree strongly. Mick is not trying to be Keith in any way.

On Wandering Spirit, Mick explores his rock roots. Remember he was the guy who wrote Brown Sugar, Respectable etc. Was he trying to be Keith there as well???

I'll give in and say that Jagger's solo albums are not very good, but WS is fantastic. On the other solo albums, he does exactly what an artist from a rock band should do on solo releases: make music that does not fit within the group.

Keith, on the other hand, are MUCH less diverse in his musical territory. Put a Jagger lead vocal on top of Talk Is Cheap, and you have yet another Stones album.
Talk Is Cheap is great, but it only fullfill the 'gap' for Stones fans.

I think Mick is brave. To make music on his solo albums that is not in the style of Stones, is the right thing to do. If you want to hear Stones music, then put on a record with them.

Stones fans are among the most conservative music fans ever. Every time Jagger makes an album, he gets slayed on this forum for not making it Stones-like. Pffff...

Date: May 19, 2015 15:44

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Turner68

i should go back and listen to it.

i always loved Talk is Cheap. bought it the day it came out. just never liked It Means A Lot.

maybe you just weren't used to the "new" Keith voice (singing lower, smokier, rougher)?

getting sarah dash to sing with him on the record was a great call.

We got some hints of Keith's "mature" voice on Little T+A, but there is a long way from the tenor who sung Before They Make Me Run to Take It So Hard/How I Wish.

It was less polished, too. Today, that's what I like about this record, but it was a bit unusual at the time. This hadn't been sent through Mick's grinder smiling smiley

Date: May 19, 2015 15:47

DandelionPowderman
Turner68

thanks, that means a lot

Date: May 19, 2015 15:47

Blueranger
Munichhilton
The only positive aspect of Wandering Spirit is its Mick trying to be Keith solo...that's why it's his only solo effort that doesn't completely, totally and in all other ways suck
Remember he was the guy who wrote Brown Sugar, Respectable etc. Was he trying to be Keith there as well???

yes, of course he was. ever learned how to play 'brown sugar' on the guitar? they are classic keith richards chords. it wouldn't surprise me if the day mick wrote "brown sugar" keith was passed out in some hole and unavailable and so mick got out a guitar and asked himself "ok, if keith were here, what would he write?"

Date: May 19, 2015 15:48

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Turner68

thanks, that means a lot

Use Me for reference if you like.

Date: May 19, 2015 15:50

Blueranger
Munichhilton

I have to say I disagree strongly. Mick is not trying to be Keith in any way.

On Wandering Spirit, Mick explores his rock roots. Remember he was the guy who wrote Brown Sugar, Respectable etc. Was he trying to be Keith there as well???

I'll give in and say that Jagger's solo albums are not very good, but WS is fantastic. On the other solo albums, he does exactly what an artist from a rock band should do on solo releases: make music that does not fit within the group.

Keith, on the other hand, are MUCH less diverse in his musical territory. Put a Jagger lead vocal on top of Talk Is Cheap, and you have yet another Stones album.
Talk Is Cheap is great, but it only fullfill the 'gap' for Stones fans.

I think Mick is brave. To make music on his solo albums that is not in the style of Stones, is the right thing to do. If you want to hear Stones music, then put on a record with them.

Stones fans are among the most conservative music fans ever. Every time Jagger makes an album, he gets slayed on this forum for not making it Stones-like. Pffff...

even though you've slapped munich senseless here blueranger, I do have to agree with most of your observations.

Date: May 19, 2015 15:51

Turner68
Blueranger
Munichhilton
Remember he was the guy who wrote Brown Sugar, Respectable etc. Was he trying to be Keith there as well???

yes, of course he was. ever learned how to play 'brown sugar' on the guitar? they are classic keith richards chords. it wouldn't surprise me if the day mick wrote "brown sugar" keith was passed out in some hole and unavailable and so mick got out a guitar and asked himself "ok, if keith were here, what would he write?"

yes, Brown Sugar is a Keith Richards song, an amazing one, that happened to be written by Mick.

Date: May 19, 2015 15:52

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Turner68

thanks, that means a lot

Use Me for reference if you like.

I will, make no mistake!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 19, 2015 16:05

dmay
Keith's first solo album, as one reviewer put it after the album came out, "Is the best Rolling Stones album in years".

...On a side note: at least they HAD Stones albums, in those days.

There had been approx. 7 years between Tattoo You (the so-called "Last Masterpiece" ), & Talk Is Cheap. Only 2 to 3 years between TiC & Dirty Work! Undercover was a mere 5 years before.

At the moment, we've been waiting on an album (well, at least: some of us... smoking smiley ) for 10 years exactly.

Therefore I declare the bonus tracks CD of Some Girls Deluxe as "the best Rolling Stones album" since Talk Is Cheap.

Date: May 19, 2015 16:08

RoughJusticeOnYa
dmay
Keith's first solo album, as one reviewer put it after the album came out, "Is the best Rolling Stones album in years".

...On a side note: at least they HAD Stones albums, in those days.

There had been approx. 7 years between Tattoo You (the so-called "Last Masterpiece" ), & Talk Is Cheap. Only 2 to 3 years between TiC & Dirty Work! Undercover was a mere 5 years before.

At the moment, we've been waiting on an album (well, at least: some of us... smoking smiley ) for 10 years exactly.

Therefore I declare the bonus tracks CD of Some Girls Deluxe as "the best Rolling Stones album" since Talk Is Cheap.

In fairness, wasn't Tatoo You mostly a complication of tracks recorded throughout the 70s?

In which case couldn't you argue that the last 3 great stones albums were:

Some Girls
Talk is Cheap, and
Some Girls Deluxe

?

They really are Some Girls...

Date: May 19, 2015 16:14

I have to admit, when the Keith album came out in 88 I was in shock at how good it was. It blue the hell out of anything MJ had done solo in the 80s and certainly better than Dirty Work.

I started 'realizing' that the stones really were Keith and Charlie, with MJ as the frontman. Then of course Wandering Spirit came out and that also blew me away.

As time goes by and I started becoming more edjumacated, and the internets becomes available, I start learning other things. Sympathy For The Devil was a Mick song? Wow. He wrote BROWN SUGAR, seriously??!! He PLAYS SLIDE ON BACK OF MY HAND?!

You start realizing this guy is omnipotent. The 80s were a bad patch for him, like so many others...doesn't take away from his massive achievements.

Posted by: wandering spirit ()
Date: May 20, 2015 18:39

Wired All Night vs. Big Enough - Wired All Night

Sweet Thing vs. Take It So Hard - Sweet Thing

Out Of Focus vs. Struggle - Struggle

Don't Tear Me Up vs. I Could Have Stood You Up - Don't Tear Me Up

Put Me In The Trash vs. Make No Mistake - Make No Mistake

Use Me vs. You Don't Move Me - You Don't Move Me

Evening Gown vs. How I Wish - Evening Gown

Mother Of A Man vs. Rockawhile - Rockawhile

Think vs. Whip It Up - Think

Wandering Spirit vs. Locked Away - Wandering Spirit

Hang On To Me Tonight vs. It Means A Lot - Hang On To Me Tonight

Makes a clear victory (7:4) for WS, though both albums are great. Anyhow, WS is something special for me.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 20, 2015 19:16

I tried, I really tried, but I cannot listen to the entire "Wandering Spirit". "Sweet Thing" is sort of okay, although the production is terrible, but the rest of it, the way Mick sings and the overall sound of it, I find it unbearable. So "Talk Is Cheap" wins by default. Even "Main Offender" would win, which although it is much weaker, at least I can listen to it.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 20, 2015 19:29

Keep your Running Out Of Luck...I'll take Running Too Deep
It's better at top volume and has sick Telecaster richness

Date: May 22, 2015 16:37

matxil
I tried, I really tried, but I cannot listen to the entire "Wandering Spirit". "Sweet Thing" is sort of okay, although the production is terrible, but the rest of it, the way Mick sings and the overall sound of it, I find it unbearable. So "Talk Is Cheap" wins by default. Even "Main Offender" would win, which although it is much weaker, at least I can listen to it.

How do you listen to EXILE? Mick sings a lot of those songs too.

Oh, maybe you're only listening to Happy?

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1609
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home