Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Who started it: Paul McCartney World Tour or Steel Wheels Tour?
Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 10, 2015 03:52

piper
Feels like you guys know absolutely nothing about this subject. The original poster had a great question, and it was met with dismal reponses. The actual turning point in the touring industry was the Stones 1981-2 tour. It was predomintely stadiums and it was like the first tour that ever made real big bucks for a rock band. I think I read about this in either Bill Wymans book or According to the Stones. They followed it up with the 1989-90 mega tour which is still the biggest tour of all time.

A big reason it made lots of money was not because they played stadiums, but rather that it was sponsored - I believe by Jovan. The Stones can definitely lay claim to the first rock band to sell sponsorships of their tour. Whether that is a good thing or not is a different debate.

Another reason it made lots of money was I believe it was also the first rock tour to sell a pay per view package for one of the performances - of course we all know about that one.

The Stones are very good at monetizing their name and fans, no question.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-10 03:56 by Bsebastian.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 10, 2015 03:55

I am interested in the coincidences between the Who and the Stones in this aspect. Both took a long break from touring in 82, with a 'current'-focused set (the Who less so) and when they both returned to the touring seen in 1989 the were seriously more greatest hits/'Vegas' styled (the Who more so)

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: May 10, 2015 04:18

The first band to headline a complete tour of stadium's were Three Dog Night.

Posted by: PTownshend ()
Date: May 10, 2015 09:43

The 1989 Who Stadium Tour was ahead of Paul or The Stones tours.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 10, 2015 12:00

piper
Feels like you guys know absolutely nothing about this subject. The original poster had a great question, and it was met with dismal reponses. The actual turning point in the touring industry was the Stones 1981-2 tour. It was predomintely stadiums and it was like the first tour that ever made real big bucks for a rock band. I think I read about this in either Bill Wymans book or According to the Stones. They followed it up with the 1989-90 mega tour which is still the biggest tour of all time.

Date: May 10, 2015 17:24

Madonna...with the Girlie Show tour...$80.00 for a ticket was outrageous...39 shows...yes just 39 shows world wide...grossed 70 million (about 120 million today)

Cohl was famous for his call to the Stones and said...40 shows for 40 million...for SW tour...however, Madonnas tour topped them all

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 10, 2015 18:06

The OP asked who started the big stadium tour. There can only be one correct answer. The Stones 81-82 was the first big tour that hit a ton of Stadiums. IN the 80s you then had people like the Who,Bruce, and Michael Jackson doing it before the Stones did it again with Steel Wheels.

I hate threads where people just start throwing different things out there. Like threads that ask for the Stones greatest ballad and someone lists 12 of them. There can only be one answer.

One thing that is not talked about is how amazing it is that the Stones still tour this big after all of these years. Big live act of the 70s,80s,90s and forward..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-10 18:21 by stanlove.

Posted by: ChelseaGirls ()
Date: May 10, 2015 18:21

Anyway, stanlove, we all know that the Stones' best ballad is Winter... or Moonlight Mile... or As Tears Go By... or...

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: May 10, 2015 18:21

I'd like to sarcastically thank everyone who has seen fit to lecture those of us who apparently didn't respond accurately enough to suit them. Heaven forbid a discussion topic yields other thoughts and ideas. Someday I hope to achieve the perfect rigidity you all have in your lives, but if I'm careful about it, that type of thing won't occur until I've drawn my last breath and rigor mortis has set in.

Date: May 10, 2015 18:28

Long John Stoner
I'd like to sarcastically thank everyone who has seen fit to lecture those of us who apparently didn't respond accurately enough to suit them. Heaven forbid a discussion topic yields other thoughts and ideas. Someday I hope to achieve the perfect rigidity you all have in your lives, but if I'm careful about it, that type of thing won't occur until I've drawn my last breath and rigor mortis has set in.

LOL

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 10, 2015 18:29

stanlove

One thing that is not talked about is how amazing it is that the Stones still tour this big after all of these years. Big live act of the 70s,80s,90s and forward..

This is not what this thread is about. Stop throwing different things out there.

Date: May 10, 2015 18:31

ChelseaGirls
Anyway, stanlove, we all know that the Stones' best ballad is Winter... or Moonlight Mile... or As Tears Go By... or...

The best is the favorite picture threads. At best there should be as many posts as there are posters on this site but it goes on for 1000s of pages with the same people just adding others.

IF it took you 6 months to add it and you have already put 20 others before it then its hardly your favorite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-10 18:32 by stanlove.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 11, 2015 00:38

It can't really be said that anyone "started" it, as if there was a master plan to be carried out. It's like posing the question of which guitarist first played power chords and thus launched hard rock/heavy metal. The answer is that there were several around who were doing the same thing at the same time. It was just something that was in the air.

The year 1989 just so happened to be a big resurgence year for a lot of acts from the sixties. Dylan also had a big year with a critically acclaimed album. Neil Young was tearing it up with his new anthem Rockin' In The Free World. Even the Jefferson Airplane reformed and had a new album.

Someone above mentioned the Monkees touring in '86 (which I saw by the way and was fantastic). The year before was the advent of oldies top 40 radio and also classic rock radio, which created a niche market for acts from that era. Thanks to oldies radio playing long lost hits and creating new demand, there emerged package oldies tours. In addition to seeing the Monkees in '86, it was also possible to see other acts from that era's top 40 radio rosters, like the Searchers and Gary Puckett and The Union Gap, not to mention Herman's Hermits (all of which I saw that year as well).

So the answer to the thread question is neither and both and... [see movie poster below]

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 11, 2015 04:14

A bit OT, but the Beatles 1964 summer US tour is when this madness really started. That was the first tour by a band that was all basketball/hockey arenas, what we all grew up with and is still the standard today.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 11, 2015 21:49

Bsebastian
potus43
This is a joke! 'Twas the stones 69

yes a mere 4 years after the beatles played shea...

Um, one show. Doh!

Date: May 11, 2015 21:51

PTownshend
The 1989 Who Stadium Tour was ahead of Paul or The Stones tours.

Isn't 1969 BEFORE 1989?

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 12, 2015 21:26

stanlove
The OP asked who started the big stadium tour. There can only be one correct answer. The Stones 81-82 was the first big tour that hit a ton of Stadiums. IN the 80s you then had people like the Who,Bruce, and Michael Jackson doing it before the Stones did it again with Steel Wheels

that is pretty much it-that stones tour was all stadiums and it was a monster.

the rolling stones 1981-82 tour set the mark for bigtime rock tours.its record for the largest average attendance per show [50,000]lasted until the U2 vertigo tour broke it just a couple of years ago.

the beatles even belonging in this conversation is a joke-

elvis played stadiums and arenas throughout his touring days from 55-57 including the cotton bowl in dallas and a couple of sold out nights in the gatorbowl in florida,both huge stadiums.

so the beatles broke no new ground in the early 60's with their 11 song 30-40 minute shows.their little postage stamp stage sitting in the middle of an empty playing field while the fans sat a mile away in the stands is laughable.

i'm not even sure mccartney is on the list of alltime big tours let alone broke any ground.he didnt start playing the big places regularly until the 1990's well after the floyd,michael jackson,bruce,U2 and others had done massive tours for big money.

but yeah,that 1981-82 tour started the megatour,without a doubt.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 12, 2015 21:35

it was a monster
yes it was and they knew it.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 12, 2015 22:45

The original post is pretty unclear - who started "legacy rock touring". I'm not even sure I know what that means. If you mean the current model, with 60's/70's heavy setlists, and high priced "VIP" packages for wealthy baby boomers, neither Steel Wheels nor Flowers in the Dirt fit that model. They were both tours being done with a traditional model, to promote new albums (pre-internet, so record sales still meant something back then). There were no "VIP" packages that I can recall.

I don't know who had the first "mainly stadiums" tour, but all I know is that stadium shows, which really started as a novelty with the Beatles playing over the PA system at Shea Stadium in 1965, were VERY common by the 70's, once they developed decent sound systems. There are so many famous shows - David Cassidy did two nights at the Astrodome, as I recall; the Who at the Pontiac Silverdome; Johnny Cash at the New Orleans Super Dome; Led Zeppelin played stadiums in 77. Heck, I grew up in Hawaii, and even remember seeing the Eagles at Aloha Stadium when I was in high school (so maybe 1978?)

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 12, 2015 23:07

as i explained in my first post elvis played stadiums in the 1950's incuding the cotton bowl and the gatorbowl and again,the beatles started nothing.

before the stones in 81-82 the huge bands played a mixture of stadiums and arenas on tour.i saw many of these shows including the who and zep but it would always be a mishmash,arenas and then in a big market where you could sell out the arena for 5 nights you just did a stadium

the stones 81-82 tour broke that mold.they were doing the stadiums and two night stands in each one.thats why it held the average attendance per show record for over 30 years.

81-82 would be the first mega-tour and then about 10 other acts under it and then maybe mccartney behind all of them.that is the answer to the question,end of story.

Date: May 12, 2015 23:33

1969 Rolling Stones

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home