Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: Has Keith become a mere sideman for the band?
Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 8, 2015 15:19

Redhotcarpet
Leonioid
Naturalust
That photo is actually disturbing to me.

Glad I'm not the only one. Hoping Bjornulf changes it soon. He's taken some excellent shots of the band in action, much prefer one of those. smoking smiley

Disturbing? Really?

Well, heck I didnt think a lot about it,
I just liked seeing them looking happy and ready to go.

But then again they say all pictures are viewed differently by the beholder and our view indicates something about ourself. You guys see disturbing KISS? Really? I wonder what that means? [www.rorschach.com]

What do you see in this picture?

How about this one?

And now this one?

and finally this one?

Your results may vary...

Sad bat, angry bat, horny bat, hung over bat. Run over bat.

CORRECT!! amd here are some more

Although #2 is a Hells Angel on a motorcycle too.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 8, 2015 15:24

What do you see in this picture?

Bats on the attack...better cover your head.

Keith is Keith...same as always, it seems to me. But time does wait for no one, and even Clapton has admitted he's not the guitar player he once was. So what?

As for sideman status, I get the impression they all do what they need to do to keep the marriage together, including Mick Jagger. I'm glad for any compromises they've made, it means I still get to go see them on tour. Many bands have split up because one or more members are inflexible about sharing power. The Stones are more grown up than that.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: May 8, 2015 15:59

This is the Keith l want to remember,completely alive and kicking,and yes l know times waits for no one,and that l am living in the past,yara,yara,yara....
[youtu.be]

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 8, 2015 16:06

i used to be in a band called the mere sidemen.

Date: May 8, 2015 16:08

I suppose the down side to having a long long career is
at some point people are going to start pointing out all the
things people like to point out and say things like "he was
much better back when"... even when he is still doing pretty well.

What a drag it is getting old.
What a drag it is dying young.

CHEERS TO KEITH RICHARDS!!! LONG LIVE THE KEITH!!!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: May 8, 2015 17:51

vertigojoe
More of a mascot I'd say.
He certainly relinquished his musical director/dynamo role a long time ago.
He embodies the outlaw/drugs/bad boy side of the bands imagine that they still trade off.
He does 2 songs so Jagger can have a break. End of.

thumbs up

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 8, 2015 19:16

potus43
ROPENI
From his latest interviews,you may assume that his role as one of the leaders of The Stones has diminished a great deal, the songs to be played are decided by Mick and Chuck, so, basically Keith just shows up, plays what he is told and goes home....Your opinion....

one of the silliest posts...ever

No no it's full of wisdom.. alas!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 8, 2015 19:54

of course keith isn't a sideman,thats just being silly.he's the co-leader of the band.
i can't think of any sidemen who do a two song solo set in the middle of a show.

it is, however, amusing to see how much things have changed in the last 10 or 12 years.if you went on here or shidoobee at say, the time of the licks tour and said keith was anything less than the almighty god of rock and roll/soul of the stones/would rather play blues in a club/ only takes the money that greedy jagger forces on him/-you would have thought you ran down a list of sex acts the other boardmembers mothers would partake in and added a pricelist to go along with it.

it is still funny watching the keithettes run to his defence over the slightest thing though ,that will never get old.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 8, 2015 22:08

Rockman
That photo is actually disturbing to me.

Awwww stop being girly breathes ... what friggin' disturbing about it???

Well since you're asking.... none of the reasons SweetThing finds disturbing. There are just much better pictures of these 4 guys around. I tend to look at pictures as art and this one isn't really disturbing as much as it's just unappealing to me. This one's good for a smile though....

peace

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: May 8, 2015 22:32

Keef has always let Mick tend to the details though hasn't he? Even after he sobered up, and I use "sobered up" lightly as it is all relative.

I seem to remember reading interviews where he stated they all have input into the songs they think should be in the set list but in the end he said Mick has the final say as he is the one who has to sing them.

IMHO I don't think he has ever been a "sideman" but rather he is happy to let Mick tend to the business details and Mick seems to thrive on that.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: May 9, 2015 04:44

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 9, 2015 19:54

shawnriffhard1
jazzbass
shawnriffhard1
It boggles the mind thinking of what could have been.

Tell me what could've been? Seriously?

Listen, I've been a fanatic since the spring of 81 as a 12 year old. I built many of my points of view on Keith's words and actions. To say I love the guy doesn't really begin to get it, but his playing and writing ability, and mindset have been tremendously affected by his self abuse as has Ronnie's Are you really disagreeing with me here? MJ has worked hard keeping himself in shape and it shows. Keith has not and it too shows. He has exhibited all the classic self delusions that any alcoholic/addict shows in terms of denial and bullshitting himself, talking about, "It's my iron constitution", and other such nonsense while people tell him how great he is. I know the arthritis is a major issue, but it's the only problem by a long shot.

Before the 50th anniversary tour started, Keith's ability to make a go of it was very much in question. If you recall, MJ talked about Keith's health being an impediment and he said, "There are no miracles in life." I don't think we need a crystal ball to understand what he was saying. I take no pleasure in pointing this out just as many, many folks here have (to say nothing of the casual tourists who are astounded how much his ability and awareness has dropped off).

And yes, Jazzbass, seriously, if he had the dedication to his art like MJ has shown, who knows how much more studio work could have transpired, how much more excellent the performances could have been, how much better MT and RW (playing wise and life wise in MT's case) could have been and how much better the MJ relationship could have been. Imagine being forced to be a babysitter for years while you're being responsible and dedicated and your partner is drunk and high all the time. I used to be very down on MJ as the calculating one while Keith was the "real Rolling Stone". I don't see it like that anymore. Keith has said that he still has a 15 y.o. inside that he protects, but I now see that as just an excuse.

Lastly, I think folks are kidding themselves about the stale setlists being down to Mick and Chuck being boring and unimaginative. They pick the tunes that they safely feel Keith can get through. The frustration must be so intense for MJ after playing with someone like Jeff Beck or Stevie Salas or Joe Satriani. I don't prefer any of those guys to Keith by a hundred miles, but they can at least play the tunes without huge, glaring mistakes or even worse, just flat out not playing and the posing and smoking routine. All of this leads me back to where's MT, but......

How much of it do you attribute to the arthritic hands?

Date: May 9, 2015 22:06

I wonder why Factory Girl, Memory Motel, Worried About You, Around And Around, Respectable, Shattered, It's All Over Now, She's So Cold, Dead Flowers and LSTNT sounds so great if Keith isn't able to play them every night...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 10, 2015 00:39

Well i play them better than keith but i cant play as good as he did in 1976 1982 or 1981 or 1973.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: May 10, 2015 00:42

Redhotcarpet
Well i play them better than keith but i cant play as good as he did in 1976 1982 or 1981 or 1973.

Sure.....smileys with beer

Date: May 10, 2015 00:45

He plays these songs better than HTW, SFTD, MY, GS and IORR. That was my point.

Lots of musicians can play and sing "better" than Keith and Mick.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: May 12, 2015 12:46

Doxa
Jeez, what a thread. The issue in hand is relevant, even though a bit provocatively stated. Everyone who a bit has followed The Rolling Stones along the years, has seen that the role of Keith Richards has changed. He is not any longer the musical dynamo and leader of the band as he used to be. There are insightful posts here stating the obvious, even though the extent of Keith's 'decrease' musically and leadershipwise is a question not easily to be determined in precise terms (but open for a interesting, critical discussion). Then there is that army of justinbieberists, for whom facing the reality and coming to terms with it seems to an impossible task. Sometimes it sounds pretty ackward that even though most probably the majority of people here are rather grown up people, what one can see is like some group of teenager fan boy/girls just crying out their eternal love and loyalty and whatever for their idols. And of course, for them those who dare to discuss this factual, but seemingly taboo subject are "complainers" and "not real fans" or whatever. Jeez.

- Doxa
thumbs up

Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 12, 2015 13:00

GetYerAngie
Doxa
Jeez, what a thread. The issue in hand is relevant, even though a bit provocatively stated. Everyone who a bit has followed The Rolling Stones along the years, has seen that the role of Keith Richards has changed. He is not any longer the musical dynamo and leader of the band as he used to be. There are insightful posts here stating the obvious, even though the extent of Keith's 'decrease' musically and leadershipwise is a question not easily to be determined in precise terms (but open for a interesting, critical discussion). Then there is that army of justinbieberists, for whom facing the reality and coming to terms with it seems to an impossible task. Sometimes it sounds pretty ackward that even though most probably the majority of people here are rather grown up people, what one can see is like some group of teenager fan boy/girls just crying out their eternal love and loyalty and whatever for their idols. And of course, for them those who dare to discuss this factual, but seemingly taboo subject are "complainers" and "not real fans" or whatever. Jeez.

- Doxa
thumbs up

I disagree. Asking if Keith has become a mere sideman is almost like asking if McCartney is a mere sideman when he tours, or if Elton John is a mere sideman, etc. There is no Rock without Roll; the fans are there to see Keith, no matter how diminished his playing is.

Date: May 12, 2015 13:10

Bsebastian
GetYerAngie
Doxa

- Doxa
thumbs up

I disagree. Asking if Keith has become a mere sideman is almost like asking if McCartney is a mere sideman when he tours, or if Elton John is a mere sideman, etc. There is no Rock without Roll; the fans are there to see Keith, no matter how diminished his playing is.

This is correct.

Another point is that Keith still leads the band on the very same songs some posters here were hailing him for back in the day (MR, Satisfaction, BS, TD, HTW, GS and others).

The difference is that the same posters now are tired of those songs grinning smiley

Before giving a thumbs up for Keith being a mere sideman, I suggest that people revisit Midnight Rambler, YGMR, JJF and IORR from recent tours. Who starts the songs? Who keeps the rhythm down? Who is band members looking at?

And before you jump the gun... Yes, you CAN lead a band and play a little bit poorer at the same time smoking smiley

Date: May 12, 2015 13:26

DandelionPowderman
Bsebastian
GetYerAngie

This is correct.

Another point is that Keith still leads the band on the very same songs some posters here were hailing him for back in the day (MR, Satisfaction, BS, TD, HTW, GS and others).

The difference is that the same posters now are tired of those songs grinning smiley

Before giving a thumbs up for Keith being a mere sideman, I suggest that people revisit Midnight Rambler, YGMR, JJF and IORR from recent tours. Who starts the songs? Who keeps the rhythm down? Who is band members looking at?

And before you jump the gun... Yes, you CAN lead a band and play a little bit poorer at the same time smoking smiley
thumbs up+1 for facts stated by DPM!!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 12, 2015 13:32

Bsebastian
GetYerAngie
Doxa

- Doxa
thumbs up

The fact is that no one aks if McCartney is a mere sideman or Elton John. At least McCartney has still an abundance in creating new music, his bass or guitar playing is now better than at Beatles times. Mac is just a true musician through and through while Keith pretends only to be a real Rock'n Roller ... It is a bit of sad Don Quixotism ...

Date: May 12, 2015 13:33

Leonioid
DandelionPowderman
Bsebastian
GetYerAngie

This is correct.

thumbs up+1 for facts stated by DPM!!
You can say that again.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 12, 2015 13:35

If even Keef only "pretends" to be a real Rock'n'Roller, then you might as well argue that such a thing has never existed.

Date: May 12, 2015 13:55

Not much pretending here:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-12 14:02 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 12, 2015 14:29

DandelionPowderman

Yeah, Keith is still Keith. Only video quality has changed over the last 35 years.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: May 12, 2015 15:00

marcovandereijk
DandelionPowderman

Yeah, Keith is still Keith. Only video quality has changed over the last 35 years.

And he is singing better today smiling smiley

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 12, 2015 15:17

I was struck by the similarities of both clips. Of course in 1979 there was a lot on
Keith's mind as far as chemicals are concerned, and it must have had an impact on his
singing voice. Still, the way he whips out those chords has not changed an iota.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 12, 2015 15:20

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 12, 2015 15:26

bobo
Redhotcarpet

Sure.....smileys with beer

I play the guitar. I CAN play their songs better than they can today. Most guitar players can, and yes with feel and perfect timing, touch, phrasing etc. I could not do what Keith did in 1972 because he was on fire ( I can copy yes but not have that stunning perfect timing, except for Rambler, when he was a his best and I would not be able to do what he did on Bye Bye Johnny). He had a certain autistic way of focusing on the guitar when he was at his best, as if he and his guitar were the only ones onstage.
I can't do what he did on Let it bleed on the Lets spend the night video. I simply can't copy that because it's the work of an artist on fire who happens to be in the right mood. He was that good. He isn't even close today, and his role in the band is of course different, Keith Richards the musician doesn't fit the marketing plan. And yes I know he's older.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 12, 2015 16:38

RobertJohnson
Bsebastian
GetYerAngie
Doxa

- Doxa
thumbs up

The fact is that no one aks if McCartney is a mere sideman or Elton John. At least McCartney has still an abundance in creating new music, his bass or guitar playing is now better than at Beatles times. Mac is just a true musician through and through while Keith pretends only to be a real Rock'n Roller ... It is a bit of sad Don Quixotism ...

You can't be serious. Even if we agree his playing has diminished, which it obviously has, how is that the same as saying he's not a true musician.

No opinion is better than an uninformed opinion.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2268
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home