Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1975 Tour of the Americas: 40 years ago...
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 14, 2015 06:45

Coming up on the 40th anniversary.
I was at the July 10th show at the LA Forum.
Man, you really had to see that stage to believe it.

Re: 1975 Tour of the Americas: 40 years ago...
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 14, 2015 06:48

I wish they'd filmed more shows. I've played my LA Forum DVD to death now.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: April 14, 2015 08:53

tomk- I was there opening night July 9,1975. One month before I turned 16 and
my first concert.I was mesmerized.

As a young guy without a drivers license, my pals brother did have one and we ditched school the day tickets went on sale which was a Friday. We drove around all day and couldn't find tickets. We were bummed for sure.

My Dad who is the coolest cat on earth said "son, don't worry we will get up early on Sat. morning and go to the LA Forum box office". We were a few hours early, but there were only 10 people in line at the ticket window. We had a good feeling.
We were able to score 3 tix opening night in the colonade. They turned out to be great seats for $12.50 each.

My Dad was a great man who passed away recently. If it were not or my Dad, seeing this life changing event would never have happened.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: April 14, 2015 09:30

It´s good to see someone is talking about his dad like this.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 14, 2015 10:30

It's also Ronnie's 40th touring anniversary with the Stones:

"April 14, 1975: The Rolling Stones issue a press statement announcing Ron Wood will accompany the group on their upcoming tour of the Americas."

[www.timeisonourside.com]

From The Rolling Stones Off the Record:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-14 11:30 by Irix.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: April 14, 2015 15:02

31 July, Greensboro, NC. My first!

Posted by: ROPS ()
Date: April 14, 2015 15:31

MSG all six shows,fantastic.....

"You know who l am, say it"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 14, 2015 16:26

Irix
It's also Ronnie's 40th touring anniversary with the Stones:

"April 14, 1975: The Rolling Stones issue a press statement announcing Ron Wood will accompany the group on their upcoming tour of the Americas."

[www.timeisonourside.com]

From The Rolling Stones Off the Record:

How many songs was he on for each night?

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: April 14, 2015 16:26

I saw them in Cleveland in '75. My first time. I was eighteen and thought they were sort of an "oldies act" then. 2.5 hours later my life was permanently changed. I've seen every tour since and am looking forward to Pittsburgh which will be forty years plus six days from that first show.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 14, 2015 16:33

it was on this tour that I first saw the Rolling Stones..

and I do remember being very excited to see them, and yet..

the seats weren't great ..

but- I remember thinking about how fun the stage was and the Stones were roaring loud..

an electric version of 'Wild Horses', and a big ol' wrong chord from Ronnie, who had to learn a bunch of tunes real quick..

I saw the Faces sometime around then, too, at the same coliseum..got right up to the stage for that.

it was a good year, 1975..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-14 16:35 by duke richardson.

Date: April 14, 2015 19:35

Best Stones tour for me,the Lotus and the whole spectacle...

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: April 14, 2015 20:13

The 1975 tour -- brought to you by Cocaine, the drug everyone loves.

Watch the videos. Everybody except Watts and Wyman is cruising on the white powder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-14 20:14 by Pietro.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 14, 2015 20:18

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 14, 2015 20:29

Pietro

Watch the videos. Everybody except Watts and Wyman is cruising on the white powder.

Oh yeah, give me some expensive power, made with toxic chemicals, guaranteed to make you paranoid, jittery, unfulfilled and needing more. eye rolling smiley A 5 minute truth followed by a many hour lie.

I always thought it was un-musical too, never understood it's appeal in a purely musical sense other that it's ability to keep you awake.

But the Stones did indeed seem to operate for many years under it's influence and unfortunately, probably influenced many other musicians to try the same approach...probably no coincidence we ended up with the dreadful music and music business of the 1980's.

peace

Date: April 15, 2015 00:32

Agree totally, NL.

However, what the musicians gained from it was a hilariously high energy on stage. Just listen to Leeds 1982. Breakneck speed thru and thru smiling smiley

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 15, 2015 00:58

my first tour-the band and the fans were totally,and i mean totally out of control.

the stones were playing their asses off.anytime someone says it wasnt that good i ask the same question-what show did you see?

the answer is always -"i saw the videos and heard a bootleg"

i always say the same thing-"why on earth do you pay all this money to go see the stones when you could watch youtube and listen to bootlegs,its the same thing,right?"

the 75 tour was a f'n killer.trust me,the stones p.a. sounded much better than your home stereo playing a recording from a little casette player hidden under someones coat.and less,of course you think keith richards forgot how to play guitar in the two years since 73 in which case there is no hope for you.

Date: April 15, 2015 03:35

Naturalust
Pietro

Oh yeah, give me some expensive power, made with toxic chemicals, guaranteed to make you paranoid, jittery, unfulfilled and needing more. eye rolling smiley A 5 minute truth followed by a many hour lie.

I always thought it was un-musical too, never understood it's appeal in a purely musical sense other that it's ability to keep you awake.

But the Stones did indeed seem to operate for many years under it's influence and unfortunately, probably influenced many other musicians to try the same approach...probably no coincidence we ended up with the dreadful music and music business of the 1980's.

peace

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 15, 2015 04:25

Midnight Toker, great story about your fantastic dad. What a sweet memory!

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: April 15, 2015 07:17

StonedAsia
31 July, Greensboro, NC. My first!

I was there too StonedAsia.
Side (Ronnie) stage row three or four.

Moved to Greensboro from NJ the first week of July.
Saw my first Stones show MSG '75 before we moved...Can't remember which night for MSG though...

Saw Greensboro '78 also. '81 Hampton x2. '89 Clemson. '92 or '93 Keith DC. '94 Giants Stadium & Columbia. '97 Charlotte. '99 Charlotte. '03 MSG. '05 Duke and UVA. '06 Boston.
So i guess Raleigh will be # 15.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: April 15, 2015 09:59

2nd Stones concert: July 4, 1975 in Memphis.
It was a hot, hot day!!

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: April 15, 2015 15:07

Leonioid

I still have my t-shirt from the show with that Eagle on it. It's shrunk... a lot. An awful lot....

Posted by: TheGoons ()
Date: April 15, 2015 15:20

A wee bit too early to see (they didn't come to Pittsburgh again until 1989; I was road tripping by then). I remember seeing some of Annie Leibovitz photography in the Rolling Stone X Anniversary; the shot of them after they come off stage in L.A. is classic! A buddy of mine saw the last show of the tour at Rich Stadium and he said it blew (not in the good way). Anybody see that one?

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: April 15, 2015 16:32

My first Stones show. Philadelphia (The Spectrum) On the floor, about 5 people away from the stage. Incredible set, incredible show. It was the biggest party I've ever been to.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: April 15, 2015 16:34

in this tour ronnie wood was fantastic. very good tour better than the 1976's one.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 15, 2015 18:39

rbk
Leonioid

I still have my t-shirt from the show with that Eagle on it. It's shrunk... a lot. An awful lot....

It really is the one of the coolest tour logos eh? I love that poster and your shirt must be awesome, if it does not fit you might consider framing it and hanging it on the wall.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-15 18:40 by Leonioid.

Posted by: 751st ()
Date: April 15, 2015 19:02

My first Stones Tour. The show July 6th 1975 Cotton Bowl Stadium Dallas, Texas opening acts The Ronnie Montrose Band w/Sammy,Trapeze, The Eagles (original line up) and of course our boys. 90 plus degrees brutally hot Texas summer day with people fainting right and left (lesson don't do drugs and drink heavily in the sun kiddies). Mick hosed the crowd down with a fireman's water hose at the shows conclusion. 19 years old I was and from that moment on I was hooked.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 15, 2015 19:06

My favourite tour. Love everything about it. No of course they never ever came close to that sublime heavenly greatness of 1972 or 1973. But that's alright, I still love 1975.

Posted by: dhinkle555 ()
Date: April 15, 2015 22:55

My girlfriend and I were in summer school at Indiana University in Bloomington, IN and the local radio station said there was going to be a big concert announcement at 10:00 AM on Saturday. At 10:00 AM Saturday the announcement was that the Rolling Stones were going to play at Assembly Hall on July 26, 1975 the tickets were $8.50, cash only and were on sale NOW at the IU football stadium ticket office. We searched to find enough cash for 4 tickets, jumped in the car, drove through town at a rapid speed to the football stadium and got 4 great tickets. First concert I had ever seen with the speakers hung from the ceiling, entire arena was sold, and Mick covered the entire Lotus flower stage to sing to the entire crowd. Still probably my top concert experience, even after seeing the Stones 9 more times and many other top groups.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 16, 2015 00:54

I saw neither of the 75 or 81 tours.

However, the Hampton CD is my go-to listening for live Stones. I've played it to death, and I love it every time.

The 75 TOTA CD I played only once. I don't know, something about the song treatments, the jams, just too monotonous, leaves me flat. I don't know when I'll play it again. Hampton, on the other hand, it's high-energy post-punk Stones, and the jams are more focused, no over-extended bs that goes nowhere for minutes on end.

Then again, unlike some other posters in this thread, I wasn't 16 in 75--I was 16 in 82. So, maybe that has something to do with it.smoking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 16, 2015 01:05

HEY HO!!! stonehearted when's ya 50th???????????????

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2672
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home