Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: "Best" JJF ever?
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 23, 2015 00:33

DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom
DandelionPowderman
There is nothing bad about the Glastonbury version.
Best Stones performance of the century.

I felt proud they could still pull it off like that when I first saw it.
I was proud too.

Date: April 23, 2015 01:18

Someone in thread earlier called it "BADABAM". It's that strum after the "gas gas gas" line; that double strum thing. as long as that BADABAM is in there this song will always rule.

Date: April 23, 2015 01:24

Yeah, it's the (triple) strum smiling smiley

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 23, 2015 05:54

StonedRambler
The best thing about the 2014 versions is how Dave Natales pushes Keith's guitar up after every chorus.

'I'm jumpin jack flash it's a gas gas gas - BADABAM!!! BADABAM!!!'

Absolutely great!

Too bad he makes the snare sound like a tom that hasn't been rung out! On a positive, I give thanks for the same deal on Sympathy. Keith hits that opening riff and having it at a proper loud volume is great. I just wish he'd leave both Ronnie and Keith at that volume for the whole show. I wonder if its in Dave's contract that he is never allowed to mix Ronnie louder than 60% of Keith's volume, aside from the occasional solo.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 23, 2015 06:29

flacnvinyl
StonedRambler
The best thing about the 2014 versions is how Dave Natales pushes Keith's guitar up after every chorus.

'I'm jumpin jack flash it's a gas gas gas - BADABAM!!! BADABAM!!!'

Absolutely great!

Too bad he makes the snare sound like a tom that hasn't been rung out! On a positive, I give thanks for the same deal on Sympathy. Keith hits that opening riff and having it at a proper loud volume is great. I just wish he'd leave both Ronnie and Keith at that volume for the whole show. I wonder if its in Dave's contract that he is never allowed to mix Ronnie louder than 60% of Keith's volume, aside from the occasional solo.

I'm sure his contract has no such restrictions but remember that the band doesn't really hear Dave Natale's mix. Just the audience and I trust if he has Ronnie turned down it is for good reason. But I agree and generally would like to hear the guitars louder all the time!

peace

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 23, 2015 12:46

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

72/73 is crap compared to the original. Toggle switching and barking. Pfft!

That's Taylor toying, I like it, the heat of the moment. They rape that song, no church choir. That's the Stones on dope cool smiley

You like Taylor smoking smiley

Yes sir!. thumbs up

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: April 23, 2015 15:21

kleermaker
pmk251
"Welcome to the breakfast show" works for me. For my taste the '69 performances show the band at its sexiest. The performances were confident, effortless and almost restrained. The SAL version found the band working way too hard for opening song excitement. Despite the effort or perhaps because of the effort the performance feels flat and way too long. The performance feels ponderous.

My favourite version as well. It may be a little bit out of tune, but who cares. It swings, it has the groove, here's a band just playing, not at work. Then those short solos to finish it. Way better than the Ya Ya's version. I also prefer it to the studio version.

What people should remember from the 1969 tour was the fact that when the Stones hit the stage most of us had no clue as to what they would play given the fairly long interlude of being away from touring in the States, and having a massive catalogue to draw from. Many of us had kind of grown up with the Stones from being just very young kids, so this was for many that post here the first time to go out and see/hear this band we loved without mom and dad telling us to turn down the music.

When the Stones took that stage and the spotlight hit Mick as the chords to JJF blasted through those Ampeg speakers it was one of these WTF moments I shall never forget. That spirit is very well captured in the prized Maysles filming of the MSG gig and the "breakfast show" version from GS. What an amazing song to open up with! JJF paved the way for a tight and well thought out setlist for that tour. For me it doesn't get any better than what they brought to JJF on that tour.

Never mind that they followed JJF with Carol.....yikes. How about GAME ON!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 23, 2015 16:17

kleermaker
pmk251
"Welcome to the breakfast show" works for me. For my taste the '69 performances show the band at its sexiest. The performances were confident, effortless and almost restrained. The SAL version found the band working way too hard for opening song excitement. Despite the effort or perhaps because of the effort the performance feels flat and way too long. The performance feels ponderous.

My favourite version as well. It may be a little bit out of tune, but who cares. It swings, it has the groove, here's a band just playing, not at work. Then those short solos to finish it. Way better than the Ya Ya's version. I also prefer it to the studio version.

That GIMME SHELTER version, or at least the way they played it on the 1969 tour, is the best, in my opinion - better than the studio version even. The version on GYYYO! is pretty damn good even with the stupid vocal overdubs.

They've not played it with swagger (nor has it been sung with swagger) even remotely close to 1969 since, and with exception to 1978 being pretty damn good, they've played it either as fast as possible or as long as possible and sometimes both. It's lost its essence of being a in your face rock song and has turned into some kind of anthem. In a going to the dentist and having teeth pulled kind of way.

Date: April 23, 2015 16:20

GasLightStreet
kleermaker
pmk251

That GIMME SHELTER version, or at least the way they played it on the 1969 tour, is the best, in my opinion - better than the studio version even. The version on GYYYO! is pretty damn good even with the stupid vocal overdubs.

They've not played it with swagger (nor has it been sung with swagger) even remotely close to 1969 since, and with exception to 1978 being pretty damn good, they've played it either as fast as possible or as long as possible and sometimes both. It's lost its essence of being a in your face rock song and has turned into some kind of anthem. In a going to the dentist and having teeth pulled kind of way.

Couldn't agree more.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 23, 2015 16:20

filstan
What people should remember from the 1969 tour was the fact that when the Stones hit the stage most of us had no clue as to what they would play given the fairly long interlude of being away from touring in the States, and having a massive catalogue to draw from. Many of us had kind of grown up with the Stones from being just very young kids, so this was for many that post here the first time to go out and see/hear this band we loved without mom and dad telling us to turn down the music.

Good call!
With our hindsight it is hard to imagine what change the band made between the American
tour of 1966 and the tour of 1969.

What if you witnessed a show in 1966, with songs like Not Fade Away, The Last Time,
Mothers Little Helper, Get Off Of My Cloud, 19th Nervous Breakdown and then suddenly you're
drawn into the heavy sound of Jumpin' Jack Flash. It must have come as quite a shock.
(A pleasant shock, I guess).

Thanks for telling your story filstan.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: April 23, 2015 17:04

For me it's the show Eastern promise Tokyo 1995. The way Keith builds up the guitar from 2.05.54 when he begins his "solo" and then at 2.06.20 just before the horns set in is just magic. I get goose bumps every freaking time I hear that!

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-23 17:04 by MichaelLassen.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: April 24, 2015 10:27

Sighunt
IMHO, the last time the Stones played Jumpin' Jack Flash with any bite or balls has been since the Steel Wheels tour.

[www.youtube.com]

No way. They played some fantastic versions of it at least up to 2006. When I saw them, it was awesome. It was bite and balls all the way.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: April 24, 2015 12:13

Can't help it but for me it is the versions from 78 & 81. Love 'em.

Date: April 24, 2015 12:31

bobo

The stop and re-start thing they did in 78 was genius!

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: April 24, 2015 13:46

DandelionPowderman
bobo

The stop and re-start thing they did in 78 was genius!

thumbs up

Date: April 24, 2015 14:10

This is the real deal - love it! thumbs up

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 24, 2015 14:26

DandelionPowderman

I said ~YEAH~!
Great, great, great.

Which, of course, does not mean I think of other versions as not being the real deal,
but this one is sure up there in the pantheon of JJF's.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: April 24, 2015 14:30

marcovandereijk
DandelionPowderman

I said ~YEAH~!
Great, great, great.

Which, of course, does not mean I think of other versions as not being the real deal,
but this one is sure up there in the pantheon of JJF's.

Depends on the mood. Today I'm in 1978-mood smileys with beer

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 24, 2015 14:55

-69-mood here...drinking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: April 24, 2015 15:08

Come On

Always.

Date: April 24, 2015 15:50

DandelionPowderman
Come On

Always.

Since my comment was ambiguous I thought even Rockman would chop like a Cobra.

smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: April 24, 2015 15:56

Yep - I'm a sucker for everything 1978 - easily my favorite Stones' year.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 24, 2015 16:17

I don't know if it is the best, but I enjoy this one a lot.

Date: April 24, 2015 16:18

MingSubu

thumbs up

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 24, 2015 16:24

smileys with beer

Posted by: 199763 ()
Date: April 24, 2015 17:03

just to mention another one...

from double door, Chicago 1997. I really love it.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 24, 2015 19:44

The outro on the studioversion is one of thier finest moments.

Date: April 24, 2015 20:18

DandelionPowderman
MingSubu

thumbs up

this version is Mick and Bill...great! thumbs up

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 24, 2015 20:40

Come On
DandelionPowderman
MingSubu

thumbs up

this version is Mick and Bill...great! thumbs up

Nothing can top that. I thought this thread was about *after that one* otherwise I wouldn't have posted at all

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: April 24, 2015 20:42

thanks for the double door. don't think i've seen it before.

had 50 people in front of me when they stopped selling tickets because i spent 3 hours that morning at the wrong club. oh well, made up for it on licks and the theater shows. that was a great september weather wise in chicago that year. except for opening night.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 3113
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home