Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: "Best" JJF ever?
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 25, 2015 02:21

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
I gotta ask. You who say that one of the modern day versions is the best or among the best. Is that because you attended or are you employed by Mick? grinning smiley

The best live versions are of course from 1972, 1973, 1969 and possibly, if shortened and edited, 1981 (thanks to the backup from Ron and Keith and Ian and Bill's bass playing). I enjoy the 1975 and 1976 performances but I cannot say JJF is anywhere close to what it was. The Vegas-era/modern versions are horrible. The backup singers, the exact same notes from Ronnie (probably has to play them), Mick's horrible vocals, Keiths boring guitar.

72/73 is crap compared to the original. Toggle switching and barking. Pfft!

How dare you! the 1972 and 1973 versions are f-ing GREAT!

No. The versions from L&G and Brussels (and others from that era) just isn't my Stones. Too busy, too little groove, too little dark magic...

For faster versions I prefer 1978, like Drake mentioned above.

What do you mean by barking?

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 25, 2015 08:35

Dandy, I respect your opinion, and Jagger sounds less tired in '78 than '75 and the band doesn't sound as sloppy. I guess sloppy, slashing guitar equals "dark magic" in your mind, and that's fine. But to call 72/73 crap? That's absolutely ludicrous. Everybody is firing on all cylinders in those years, and at least in 72/early 73 Hopkins was still there. The band was TIGHT. Notes were't missed. If you think "danger" is missing notes, then cool, nice opinion. But don't call others' opinions "crap". I dig the '75 and '78 tours, but to me they don't even kiss the boot heel of '72 and the "dark magic" of that STP escapade.

BTW, Ronnie even pulls a stutter in '78 so....

Date: April 25, 2015 11:53

I don't think controlled and melody-oriented lead guitar constantly on top of the groove creates any danger, that's all.

Mick is barking, not singing.

Date: April 25, 2015 13:24

DandelionPowderman
Yeah, it's the (triple) strum smiling smiley

What is interesting about the BADABAM ( and btw it was StonedRambler who coined this term) is how they emphasize it differenbtly on various tours. It's one of the keys of the song. So e.g. you got Keith adding a 7th to it in '78, or better yet Mick Taylor in '73 messing around with his P.U. switch. Always love that effect.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1898
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home