Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: "Best" JJF ever?
Posted by: Philippec74 ()
Date: April 22, 2015 18:46

Tokyo 1990..
Poland 1998
Montreal 1989.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 22, 2015 18:57

Palace Revolution 2000
kleermaker
pmk251
"Welcome to the breakfast show" works for me. For my taste the '69 performances show the band at its sexiest. The performances were confident, effortless and almost restrained. The SAL version found the band working way too hard for opening song excitement. Despite the effort or perhaps because of the effort the performance feels flat and way too long. The performance feels ponderous.

My favourite version as well. It may be a little bit out of tune, but who cares. It swings, it has the groove, here's a band just playing, not at work. Then those short solos to finish it. Way better than the Ya Ya's version. I also prefer it to the studio version.

Kleermaker you have good taste when it comes to Stones.
I can never understand how people say Taylor was a lousy rhythm guitarist. he was half of the guitar team in the Golden Era. he didn't play rhythm with the flash of Keith, but he played rhythm much in the way Bill plays Bass. It;'s subtle, guerilla warfare; you don't know what just creeped up and bit you.
Keith took a good bit of solos in 69 and 70. yet the songs keep moving with great swing. And when BOTH of them are playing rhythm, which happens a lot in 69 it is beautiful. Listen to the chorus in JJF in 69; in this 'Breakfast' version; and the the way they open it up for instrumental.
At 1:15 Taylor is working it hard behind Jagger.
Almsot as hard as the guy @ 2:25. He loves Jagger, and he 'gets it'.

Thanks Palace, but you worded it very well here!

Date: April 22, 2015 19:17

kleermaker
Palace Revolution 2000
kleermaker
pmk251
"Welcome to the breakfast show" works for me. For my taste the '69 performances show the band at its sexiest. The performances were confident, effortless and almost restrained. The SAL version found the band working way too hard for opening song excitement. Despite the effort or perhaps because of the effort the performance feels flat and way too long. The performance feels ponderous.

My favourite version as well. It may be a little bit out of tune, but who cares. It swings, it has the groove, here's a band just playing, not at work. Then those short solos to finish it. Way better than the Ya Ya's version. I also prefer it to the studio version.

Kleermaker you have good taste when it comes to Stones.
I can never understand how people say Taylor was a lousy rhythm guitarist. he was half of the guitar team in the Golden Era. he didn't play rhythm with the flash of Keith, but he played rhythm much in the way Bill plays Bass. It;'s subtle, guerilla warfare; you don't know what just creeped up and bit you.
Keith took a good bit of solos in 69 and 70. yet the songs keep moving with great swing. And when BOTH of them are playing rhythm, which happens a lot in 69 it is beautiful. Listen to the chorus in JJF in 69; in this 'Breakfast' version; and the the way they open it up for instrumental.
At 1:15 Taylor is working it hard behind Jagger.
Almsot as hard as the guy @ 2:25. He loves Jagger, and he 'gets it'.

Thanks Palace, but you worded it very well here!

Well, in this version of the same Breakfast JJF you can hear Taylor much better (intro from Ya Ya')! Not so strange, because THIS ONE is in stereo, and the other video in mono.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-22 19:25 by kleermaker.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 22, 2015 19:25

The YaYa's version.

Date: April 22, 2015 19:31

LuxuryStones
The YaYa's version.

You forgot to listen to my video just up here!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 22, 2015 19:40

Probably one at a show in 1969-1972 I didn't attend and will never hear. Or one done by some cover band I've never heard of. winking smiley

That breakfast show one is great, different enough to be totally interesting. Love the guitars, blows the rushed versions and any of the modern versions out of the water.

Seems to me like it started with an excellent studio version and has been getting progressively worse as time goes on. 1968- excellent 1969- very good, 1978 - good, 1989- OK, 2000's- phone it in. 2013- bad.

Definitely wish they would drop this one from the set list in 2015, but since Keith likes it so much and it's one of the most recognizable tunes for the many casual fans in a stadium audience, I doubt that will happen.

peace

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 22, 2015 19:43

It deserves to be played. It's more of a Stones hymn than Satisfaction.

Date: April 22, 2015 19:45

There is nothing bad about the Glastonbury version.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 22, 2015 19:46

Atlantic City 2006

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 22, 2015 19:59

DandelionPowderman

Except Mick's singing, he doesn't even finish the phrases, too busy jumping around, letting the audience sing for him, almost seems out of breath. And Ronnie's same tired approach is less that stellar,he wears that one lick out, c'mon man do something different! Even Charlie seems lackluster on this one.

Sorry Dandie, we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I imagine with that audience going wild it was probably pretty fun to experience but from a purely musical perspective.....bad.

peace

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 22, 2015 19:59

TheBlockbuster
StonedRambler
The thing I love most is how Mick sings now the It's all right. The crowd, Lisa and Bernard do the backing vocals with the long 'aaaaaaaaaaal riiiiiight' and Mick sings on top of it. Just great thumbs up

This is the whole reason the versions 2012 till now often sounds like complete shite!! The backing vocals in the chorus combined with Mick singing on top of it sounds ridiculously bad and annoying! Like Mick wasn't able to sing the song by himself, that's how it sounds, Mick's vocals are supposed to drive the song forward. The Hyde Park 2013 is in my opinion very weak.
And what's not to like about the Licks-tour versions??
Those were all powerful and fast, just as I like JFF.

Don't like the Licks-tour Versions, because of that cheap e-Sitar sound of Ronnie. Sounds very thin to me, it sounds much better with two guitars when they do the weaving winking smiley What I like about the 2012-14 Versions is that they play it a bit slower but much more energy than on the last tours.
For example listen to the version from Vienna in 2014: [www.youtube.com]
love that energy!

For me this song just gets better and better, even if some (maybe people who grew up with the Stones) have a different opinion.
I agree that the Trabendo Version is great, they have to release the whole song - or even better the whole gig.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-22 20:00 by StonedRambler.

Date: April 22, 2015 20:07

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

Except Mick's singing, he doesn't even finish the phrases, too busy jumping around, letting the audience sing for him, almost seems out of breath. And Ronnie's same tired approach is less that stellar,he wears that one lick out, c'mon man do something different! Even Charlie seems lackluster on this one.

I imagine with that audience going wild it was probably pretty fun to experience but from a purely musical perspective.....bad.

peace

Mick has never sung JFF great, especially not in 72/73, where he more or less does what you're saying.

I can agree on Ronnie playing it a bit too safe, doing the original licks from the studio version.

But the Glasto-version rocks anyhow. One of their best moments for a long time, imo.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: April 22, 2015 20:18

The best thing about the 2014 versions is how Dave Natales pushes Keith's guitar up after every chorus.

'I'm jumpin jack flash it's a gas gas gas - BADABAM!!! BADABAM!!!'

Absolutely great!

Date: April 22, 2015 20:21

StonedRambler
The best thing about the 2014 versions is how Dave Natales pushes Keith's guitar up after every chorus.

'I'm jumpin jack flash it's a gas gas gas - BADABAM!!! BADABAM!!!'

Absolutely great!

Yeah, some great live mixing there. Like it!

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 22, 2015 20:26

1968 the studio version

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 22, 2015 20:27

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

peace

Mick has never sung JFF great, especially not in 72/73, where he more or less does what you're saying.

I can agree on Ronnie playing it a bit too safe, doing the original licks from the studio version.

But the Glasto-version rocks anyhow. One of their best moments for a long time, imo.

But the point is it shouldnt be sung "well" as you know (I know you know) but he should act it, be the jumping jack flash, te jumpin jack, the jack the ripper or whatever it is: micks alter ego, one of many. He did that and the band was so hot in 1972 and 1973 I cannot believe it. 1969 is v e r y good too and that is very much thanks to Taylor and Bill who really pulls out the best in those slow versions.

Taylor the rhythm guitar player was fantastic, the best they had.

Date: April 22, 2015 20:31

I think people have radically different perceptions of what rhythm guitar is.

I love the 1969 versions, when there still was some melody left in Mick, and where Keith lead the band musically with his rhythm guitar. Both those things had changed by 1972.

Date: April 22, 2015 20:41

Yeah but it changed for another good (imo better) version! Cmon Dandie, they ROCKED!!!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 22, 2015 20:44

any love for the 'Shine A Light' version..?

kinda fast..

Date: April 22, 2015 21:09

Horrible version, sorry

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: April 22, 2015 21:24

I always liked the Brussels Affair version - by that I mean the one from the early show. Love how it starts right as Rip This Joint ends but I suspect that is an edit and did not actually happen that way at the show.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 22, 2015 21:33

Redhotcarpet
Horrible version, sorry

yeah... its not so great..

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: April 22, 2015 23:00

DandelionPowderman
Mick has never sung JFF great

I don't know what your definition of great is but I think Mick sings it great here:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-22 23:01 by EasterMan.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: April 22, 2015 23:21

LOVE the Lyceum 69 Get the F... out of here version!

Date: April 22, 2015 23:31

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-22 23:32 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 22, 2015 23:37

EasterMan
DandelionPowderman
Mick has never sung JFF great

I don't know what your definition of great is but I think Mick sings it great here:

Good version, but not because of Mick, imo.

The song's melody is non-existant here, like most versions after 1969. The power is gone, and he's leaning on the back up-singers just like today.

I pray that some day I'll hear Mick sing the melody again, low-pitched and the "it's all right"-part.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 22, 2015 23:48

DandelionPowderman

72/73 is crap compared to the original. Toggle switching and barking. Pfft!

That's Taylor toying, I like it, the heat of the moment. They rape that song, no church choir. That's the Stones on dope cool smiley

Date: April 22, 2015 23:56

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

72/73 is crap compared to the original. Toggle switching and barking. Pfft!

That's Taylor toying, I like it, the heat of the moment. They rape that song, no church choir. That's the Stones on dope cool smiley

You like Taylor smoking smiley

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 23, 2015 00:03

DandelionPowderman
Best Stones performance of the century.

Date: April 23, 2015 00:10

DoomandGloom
DandelionPowderman
Best Stones performance of the century.

I felt proud they could still pull it off like that when I first saw it.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1527
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home