Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13
Re: The Rolling Stones - The Marquee - Live In 1971 new release !
Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 12, 2015 20:15

And no Charlie ride stops yet . .

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 12, 2015 22:57

One thing I'd love, is the album Gorgeous Girls Redux on vinyl. I love the sound of that one.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 12, 2015 22:58

Why can't I find a preorder for Marquee '71????

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 13, 2015 01:11

yeababyyea
But how bad is really the Ladies & Gentlemen audio? I don't own this dvd yet, is it even worth buying?

It's pretty decent alright. It's a soundboard with a rather flat sounding mix and a narrow stereo field. Depends on how much you love the Stones of 1972 and if you've already watched the movie many times before. The movie itself is essential viewing for any serious Stones fan IMHO, but the dvd doesn't offer much new. Myself, I saw the movie at a theater when they screened it around 2010 and then I downloaded the dvd but I haven't really watched it anyway. (Used to have it on bootleg VHS and dvd and saw it maybe three times before the official one came out.)

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: April 13, 2015 02:07

LieB
yeababyyea
But how bad is really the Ladies & Gentlemen audio? I don't own this dvd yet, is it even worth buying?

It's pretty decent alright. It's a soundboard with a rather flat sounding mix and a narrow stereo field. Depends on how much you love the Stones of 1972 and if you've already watched the movie many times before. The movie itself is essential viewing for any serious Stones fan IMHO, but the dvd doesn't offer much new. Myself, I saw the movie at a theater when they screened it around 2010 and then I downloaded the dvd but I haven't really watched it anyway. (Used to have it on bootleg VHS and dvd and saw it maybe three times before the official one came out.)

Okay thanks for the answer, I'm by no means a big '72 fan but still feel that I need to have all their releases. As someone here said the bootleg has better sound I will probably get the bootleg as it's also more fun to own.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: April 13, 2015 02:07

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-13 02:31 by yeababyyea.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 13, 2015 08:43

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
LieB

Btw, I agree it's silly that the Ladies & Gents release was so shabby when they can make this ol' tv performance look so good. I get the feeling they thought "Well, Ladies & Gents was released properly in the 70s already, so lets just put that onto dvd" and they didn't bother to fix it up properly, while the unfinished condition of LA '75 and Marquee '71 kinda forced them to remix/remaster the whole thing. I still think the '72 tour deserves better releases, both in terms of audio and picture.

I totally agree here, with the nuance that I find the video pretty good. But the audio isn't a hair better than the bootleg. The sound on the official L&G is just a shame, because it's their only official document of that legendary tour.

Which is a little mystifying. It had/has a quadrophonic soundtrack, so it should have sounded perfect for modern day 5.1 speaker setups. Yet the DVD lacks aural punch in the front middle speaker.
The audio is far worse than that of the bootlegs.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 13, 2015 10:46

yeababyyea
LieB

Okay thanks for the answer, I'm by no means a big '72 fan but still feel that I need to have all their releases. As someone here said the bootleg has better sound I will probably get the bootleg as it's also more fun to own.

If you're just getting into 1972 bootlegs, there's plenty of them as good or better than the L&G soundtrack. Philadelphia Special, Fort Worth Express ("Thank You Kindly, Ahmet Ertegün" ), and the "long lost live album" that was meant to be officially released in '72, often bootlegged as "Keep Your Motor Running". Not to mention the audience recordings, but now I'm getting too much off topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-13 11:15 by LieB.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: April 13, 2015 14:27

Well yeababyyea,

My e mail is open, I'll give it for free to you (The dvd Marquee with lay out).
But: the postage is for you.(from belgium too????)
DVD: DVD-r in PAL system.
greets,

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 13, 2015 17:57

Has anyone seen this release on Amazon US yet? I have yet to see it

TIA

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 13, 2015 18:37

I cant even find the Sticky Fingers Dx Ed on Amazon US.

Posted by: MuddyJaggrich ()
Date: April 13, 2015 22:22

All I read is ladies and gents is shabby. What is shabby? That's rubbish. Real fans waited for decades to get this officially. Thank the stones, that they do open the tins. I had to wait about years since the time I start listening to the Rolling Stones at 10. I think that they do the best to put out the best out of different sources. I only thought, that Hampton comes out in a real better quality. I was a bit dissapointed about that. And now "marquee", what a favour. I approve the releases of the Taylor period, a time that was musicially the best stones time ever. It was too much underrated in the last thirty years. The releases of "Leeds", "Roundhouse" and "Marquee" is at least an honour to Mr. Brown Sugar, Bobby Keys.
When the things are out, fill your tub with champagne, grab yourself a chick and play it loud.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: April 13, 2015 22:26

Tate
I cant even find the Sticky Fingers Dx Ed on Amazon US.

They should be up pretty soon, Amazon U.S. usually doesn't put things up until they are less than 90 days from release.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 14, 2015 12:31

dcba
Mathijs

From 1970 on he used two Dan Armstrongs -one with the white prototype humbucker, and one with the RT pickup.

Mathijs

Were they both stolen in the great Nellcote heist?

At least one, most likely the first prototype one with the white humbucker, was indeed stolen at Nellcote. It is reported he gave the other Armstrong away.

It is very unclear which guitars where stolen from Nellcote, which where retrieved at the time, and which where never returned. Some say the instruments weren't stolen at all, but where taken by dealers as a way to put pressure on Richards to pay for the drugs he had bought.

Anyway, known guitars that where present at Nellcote in July 1971 are the prototype Dan Armstrong, an ES-355, the Flying V, the LP Custom (without paint job), Taylor's Gibson SG and Richard's ES-330, a blond Hummingbird and a Ramizez.

All guitars except for the Armstrong and the ES-330 are accounted for after the burglary, and are now in the possession of collectors. Taylor's SG was, according to Taylor, given to his Canadian brother-in-law, but t date has not seen the light of day. It is also reported Taylor sold some of his guitars in 1971 as he needed money.

Mathijs

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 14, 2015 12:48

It certainly doesn't sound as good as some of the other archive releases, but, it's fantastic to have the film officially released. I had the bootleg VHS for many years, enjoyed it, but the film does look better, and it's wonderful to have it.

Overall, the past few years of these Archive releases has been a triumph - I read a post recently from 2009, a "Wish List" many commented on; almost every one of them has been released! Brussels Official, LA '75 DVD, 1972 DVD, Charlie is My Darling, and best of all - Live in Texas 1978; even collectors I think only had 6 tracks (I had a fairly good copy of it), but the full show, in such incredible quality; the excitement round here in 2011 was infectious when that came out. It was a stunning surprise, who would have though one year previously we would get 1978 Pro-Shot, complete, in that quality?

Hampton 1981 and L.A. 1975 are terrific, I've re-watched both quite a bit, LA was in my opinion a big upgrade from the versions I already had; and it, as well as the other show released (audio, LA Friday), gave me a massive new appreciation for that tour.

I'm looking forward to Marquee; yes, I already have it, as most do, but if the sound is in stereo, and from what I've seen, the picture is improved, then bring it on!

Possibly Tokyo 1990 next; whatever comes, I'm just delighted we are getting all of this stuff

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 14, 2015 12:49

I read an interview years ago where Taylor talked about the guitars that were stolen and he mentioned a Rickenbacker. I remember it as I was wondering which track on EOMS it could have appeared on. That is my recollection of the article anyway.

Date: April 14, 2015 13:12

IrelandCalling4
It certainly doesn't sound as good as some of the other archive releases, but, it's fantastic to have the film officially released. I had the bootleg VHS for many years, enjoyed it, but the film does look better, and it's wonderful to have it.

Overall, the past few years of these Archive releases has been a triumph - I read a post recently from 2009, a "Wish List" many commented on; almost every one of them has been released! Brussels Official, LA '75 DVD, 1972 DVD, Charlie is My Darling, and best of all - Live in Texas 1978; even collectors I think only had 6 tracks (I had a fairly good copy of it), but the full show, in such incredible quality; the excitement round here in 2011 was infectious when that came out. It was a stunning surprise, who would have though one year previously we would get 1978 Pro-Shot, complete, in that quality?

Hampton 1981 and L.A. 1975 are terrific, I've re-watched both quite a bit, LA was in my opinion a big upgrade from the versions I already had; and it, as well as the other show released (audio, LA Friday), gave me a massive new appreciation for that tour.

I'm looking forward to Marquee; yes, I already have it, as most do, but if the sound is in stereo, and from what I've seen, the picture is improved, then bring it on!

Possibly Tokyo 1990 next; whatever comes, I'm just delighted we are getting all of this stuff

thumbs up

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: April 14, 2015 13:23

IrelandCalling4

Please no!!!
I don't really get the excitement over having already circulated pro-shots released officially. It's great to have upgrades, but I want the unseen stuff like Texas '78.

If they are going to release anything from the latter-day era post 1989, which I hope they will, then they better release something more exciting like a 1999 show or the Licks tour club gigs. I would not mind to have more arena/stadium gigs from 97-07 either, but Tokyo 1990 or 1995 would be a downright nightmare!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-14 13:25 by EasterMan.

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: April 14, 2015 13:38

Give us a 20th anniversary Stripped box with audio and video of the Amsterdam, Paris and London club shows :-)

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 14, 2015 13:43

Why not an entire 69 show!? Would be fantastic, they have the stuff in the can laying around between the shows recorded for Gimme Shelter. Bring it on! Remastered with a CD/Vinyl release. Unedited. Would be fantastic.

Date: April 14, 2015 13:44

EasterMan
IrelandCalling4

Please no!!!
I don't really get the excitement over having already circulated pro-shots released officially. It's great to have upgrades, but I want the unseen stuff like Texas '78.

If they are going to release anything from the latter-day era post 1989, which I hope they will, then they better release something more exciting like a 1999 show or the Licks tour club gigs. I would not mind to have more arena/stadium gigs from 97-07 either, but Tokyo 1990 or 1995 would be a downright nightmare!!

I'd gladly take the "nightmares" from the 1995 club shows ANY day!

Date: April 14, 2015 13:49

DandelionPowderman

I meant Tokyo 1995 would be a nightmare...
I would also like to have the 1995 clubs shows, no doubt about it.
But the existing Tokyo 95 pro-shot is utterly boring.

Date: April 14, 2015 13:57

EasterMan
DandelionPowderman

Good! But I think he had Tokyo 1990 in mind, as this was released in the archive series. Then again, that one is also available as a pro-shot video...

Date: April 14, 2015 14:10

DandelionPowderman
EasterMan
DandelionPowderman

Good! But I think he had Tokyo 1990 in mind, as this was released in the archive series. Then again, that one is also available as a pro-shot video...

Yea, both 1990 & 1995 & 2006 pro-shots are available. The one from 2006 is the most underwhelming in the bunch.
Sadly, Tokyo pro-shots from 1998 & 2003 had been the interesting ones.

Date: April 14, 2015 14:18

EasterMan
DandelionPowderman
EasterMan
DandelionPowderman

Yea, both 1990 & 1995 & 2006 pro-shots are available. The one from 2006 is the most underwhelming in the bunch.
Sadly, Tokyo pro-shots from 1998 & 2003 had been the interesting ones.

I like all those DVDs. 1990 is a little dry-sounding, but good anyhow.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: April 14, 2015 14:27

spunky
Give us a 20th anniversary Stripped box with audio and video of the Amsterdam, Paris and London club shows :-)

thumbs up

Date: April 14, 2015 14:30

RipThisBone
spunky

thumbs up

thumbs up thumbs up

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: April 14, 2015 14:35

spunky

Don't forget the Tokyo and Lisbon studio sessions.
I am still hoping to hear one day their "I’m Left, You’re Right, She’s Gone" version.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 14, 2015 14:42

DandelionPowderman
RipThisBone
spunky

thumbs up

thumbs up thumbs up

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 14, 2015 14:50

I do agree with the above; of course a full show from 1969 would be far preferrable to a pro-shot we already have, or a 1999 'No Security' show; Live in Texas a prime example of that.

However, I did read on these boards it's likely Tokyo 1990 will be next, and I'm sure I also read a set of the 1995 Club Shows will also be on the cards. Leeds 1982 would be wonderful; as the footage released thus far is very good.

Regarding Tokyo, it was 1990 I was referring to, not 1995. I have 1995, and it's a fairly pedestrian show; 1990 was far better I think. Tokyo 2006 I also have, soundboard audio if I can recall correctly, though it was filmed very well. Saitama 2006 is much better.

What has been released so far has been wonderful - '72, '75, '78, '81, and the Muddy Waters gig from 1981. Being realistic, we're not going to get a full 1969 show this time, it would be absolutely ideal as I love the tour ('Ya Ya's still one of my favourite albums of all time, and I love the footage from the tour) - if the choice is between Tokyo 1995 and 1990, I hope to God they go with 1990; having that show in excellent picture and sound quality would be great. 1995 has already been released, albeit in Japan and not internationally as far as I know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-14 14:51 by IrelandCalling4.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1995
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home