Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Ronnie Wood talk - What's on your mind right now?
Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 8, 2015 23:15

kleermaker
The conclusion is simple in its simplicity: Taylor should never have quit the Stones nor Ronnie the Faces.

Mr. Knowitall...the horror of your arrogance: what are you doing here when you so clearly show you really deserve a forum of your own actually?
And when you touched earth again do try the probably most simple conclusion: Taylor did quit and you never got over it. And because you never did we have to read these neverending posts filled with the same stuff over and over again. Mostly with arrogance and disdain towards other band members. Other band members? Oops...

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 8, 2015 23:19

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
Dreamer
Best guitar play in this version was probably done by the singer but of course that's always forbidden to mention on this forum.

Totally agree Dreamer, but I hope you don't think you have to post based on what you think others will like or appreciate. I welcome divergent opinions, they often lead to the best discussions here on iorr and tend to balance out the other stuff.

Also FYI, I have mentioned twice on this thread that Mick's guitar playing was the best and 71Tele even started a thread on Mick guitar playing...

peace

I bet he had that thread in mind winking smiley

No I didn't! smiling smiley
It's just that in terms of balance (thank you Naturalust) I think something needs to be done once in a while. I know you understand smoking smiley

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 9, 2015 00:22

silkcut1978_
LuxuryStones
silkcut1978_
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
It needs to be mentioned that Ronnie has played ALL the SF tracks on excellent tours like B2B and NS before. Weirdly, back then, no one compared or complained.

How many catched the NS tour here, and felt as badly about Ronnie playing SM or MM as you express here on this board?

I complained plenty, as much of his playing was dreadful. Sorry.

And how would you call Micks recent playing on Midnight Rambler? I can't imagine that you compare this output with what he'd done in the early 70s.

I was happy seeing him in Rome and Vienna for nostalgic reasons but that's it. Seems that he got a lot of problems with his health and he's only a shadow of his former self.

That goes for the entire band, my dear silckut. I don't know about Taylor's health though.

Obviously you're right - but what's the point now to add Mick? Sad, but based on what we've heard from him in the 70s his decline is enormous and I doubt that he could add much to Moonlight Mile or whatever. But we'll never know..

He could play slide on MM for example. But indeed, we'll never know.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 9, 2015 00:29

vertigojoe
Leonioid
vertigojoe
DoomandGloom
Ronnie is very thick skinned. This situation is decades old. I believe it urks The Glimmers much more as MT shares equal credit for their golden days. Wood is a genius business man, he is laughing all the way to the bank. He loves being a Stone. As a copycat he is aweful but his contribution to newer material has been solid.

A genius businessman? You haven't read his book then? He continually loses his entire fortune until another mega tour comes along to bail him out.
Apart from that I do like Ronnie tho. The Stones would never have survived without him. The punk era would have killed them if they'd have had a fat MT noodling over everything.

You don't like him for blowing all his money? But isnt that one of the best parts of being a rock star, blowing all of the money and then doing a mega tour to get it all back? Nice work life if you can get it.

"I make so much money,
That I'm spending so fast"

When the whip comes down.

I don't care if he blows all his money. At least he's not a tight wad like MJ.

Yeah I have heard Jagger is a bit of a penny pincher and I chuckled at how he only rented 1/5 of a video billboard at a time and for only one week when they were teasing us for this tour making us sit through "all those other" ads before the tonugue would pop up again. Come on Mick, you can afford to rent the whole billboard. of course I am saying this tongue in cheek, not being too serious. Mick knows what he is doing

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 9, 2015 10:18

DandelionPowderman
What is a "skitch"?

His dobro playing on Already Over Me is lovely.

With the high demands you guys are setting, they can't do anything - with or without Taylor.

It can't have come to this that we can't enjoy Monkey Man or Under My Thumb, because Keith lacks sublime touches or finesse. This is the @#$%& Rolling Stones we're talking about.

What I love the most about this band is the opposite of what you guys enjoy. I love the wonky, wobbly stuff, the short biting licks AND that it always falls into place again. The unique swing.

Ho ho! It's not that black and white, Dandie, and I haven't claimed anything of that sort. I could say that you have a very one-dimensional picture of the band or how they should sound - which pretty much indicates to 1978-82 incarnation - and which exludes quite a lot from their repertuare, but I won't.grinning smiley The band used to have players like Brian Jones, Mick Taylor and Nicky Hopkins, but I guess for Woodities that was not any real Rolling Stones, which started to exist around 1975. How on earth the Stones were able to survive so long without Ron Wood, and even make some sort of name for themeselves?grinning smiley

Seriously, it is just "Moonlight Mile", and the kind of feelings it expresses, we talk here. It is not exactly a track from SOME GIRLS. I just think that that mr. Wood does not serve the song right, that's all.

- Doxa

P.S. I meant "kitsch", sorry for lapsus.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-09 10:24 by Doxa.

Date: April 9, 2015 10:23

Dreamer

Best guitar play in this version was probably done by the singer but of course that's always forbidden to mention on this forum.

Yes to both accounts!grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: April 9, 2015 10:26

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
What is a "skitch"?

With the high demands you guys are setting, they can't do anything - with or without Taylor.

It can't have come to this that we can't enjoy Monkey Man or Under My Thumb, because Keith lacks sublime touches or finesse. This is the @#$%& Rolling Stones we're talking about.

What I love the most about this band is the opposite of what you guys enjoy. I love the wonky, wobbly stuff, the short biting licks AND that it always falls into place again. The unique swing.

Ho ho! It's not that black and white, Dandie, and I haven't claimed anything of that sort. I could say that you have a very one-dimensional picture of the band or how they should sound - which pretty much indicates to 1978-82 incarnation - and which exludes quite a lot from their repertuare, but I won't.grinning smiley The band used to have players like Brian Jones, Mick Taylor and Nicky Hopkins, but I guess for Woodities that was not any real Rolling Stones, which started to exist around 1975. How on earth the Stones were able to survive so long without Ron Wood, and even make some sort of name for themeselves?grinning smiley

Seriously, it is just "Moonlight Mile", and the kind of feelings it expresses, we talk here. It is not exactly a track from SOME GIRLS. I just think that that mr. Wood does not serve the song right, that's all.

- Doxa

You misunderstood me - big time grinning smiley

Date: April 9, 2015 10:28

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
What is a "skitch"?

- Doxa

You misunderstood me - big time grinning smiley

Must be the first time ever, mate...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: April 9, 2015 10:29

Absolutely >grinning smiley<

Check out my Mr D. vinyl rip in the Marquee thread, btw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-09 10:30 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 9, 2015 17:48

This is going to be Ronnie's zippiest tour ever,
I am ready to see Ronie play live again, he is great.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: April 9, 2015 18:08

Ronnie on slide and his childlike enthusiasm really pep up a show. I lub Ronnie!!

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: April 9, 2015 18:50

Ronnie Wood is a good guitar player but probably will never be considered a great one by most rock n roll enthusiasts with the possible exception of his slide playing. However, he does have a long history. His concurrent contributions to The Faces and Rod Stewart's solo albums were considerable. He also has the most interesting solo career of all of the Stones IMHO.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 9, 2015 19:00

For my money his signature is still his simple and graceful solo on Maggie May. It's perfection and he's never topped it.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: April 9, 2015 19:19

71Tele
For my money his signature is still his simple and graceful solo on Maggie May. It's perfection and he's never topped it.

Agreed and I am struck by how great those early Rod Stewart albums are, Every Picture Tells A Story in particular. Critic Jimmy Guterman made it top of his list of the 100 Best Rock And Roll Records Of All Time. Exile was second. Maggie May is a great song and performance

Date: April 9, 2015 19:39

stewedandkeefed
71Tele

Agreed and I am struck by how great those early Rod Stewart albums are, Every Picture Tells A Story in particular. Critic Jimmy Guterman made it top of his list of the 100 Best Rock And Roll Records Of All Time. Exile was second. Maggie May is a great song and performance

All those Stewart/Wood records were very, very good. I personally would rate Exile much higher than EPTAS, but it's still a masterful record. They captured a vibe on those Stewart records that was different than The Faces stuff, more acoustic and I suppose "English". I really enjoyed them and still play them.

Date: April 9, 2015 20:24

A Nod Is As Good As a Wink... to a Blind Horse

Date: April 9, 2015 20:29

Ooh La La!

Got that one on vinyl yesterday. Cindy, the title track, Borstal Boys.

What an album, loaded with GREAT (considered by everyone who loves rock'n'roll) guitar playing thumbs up

Date: April 9, 2015 20:32

DandelionPowderman
Ooh La La!

Got that one on vinyl yesterday. Cindy, the title track, Borstal Boys.

What an album, loaded with GREAT (considered by everyone who loves rock'n'roll) guitar playing thumbs up

Agree completely. Cindy is one of my favorite Faces tunes. In fact, I used the feel as the template for one of my songs to try to explain to the band what kind of groove I wanted.

Date: April 10, 2015 22:27

Date: April 12, 2015 06:01

Ronnie Wood, he gets it
and never seems to take it all too seriously, after all its only ROCK AND ROLL

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 12, 2015 14:23

This is art ...[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 12, 2015 16:35

He's excellent at writing fiction!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 12, 2015 17:06

Leonioid, I don't think you're doing him a favour. grinning smileywinking smiley

Date: April 12, 2015 23:35

"Thanks to Ronnie Wood for not being a quitter"

Date: April 12, 2015 23:42

Leonioid

He has quit a couple of bands, but I agree smiling smiley

Date: April 12, 2015 23:50

DandelionPowderman
Leonioid

He has quit a couple of bands, but I agree smiling smiley
ah so...

"Thanks to Ronnie Wood for not being a quitter of any band for 40 years"smiling smiley

Date: April 13, 2015 00:30

thumbs up

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: April 13, 2015 02:10

Anyone else more than me who really digs Ronnie's solo on this version? (Beautiful performance from the whole band btw)

Puts anything Mick Taylor played 1975-2014 to shame!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-13 02:34 by yeababyyea.

Posted by: indystonesfan ()
Date: April 13, 2015 03:52

yeababyyea
Anyone else more than me who really digs Ronnie's solo on this version? (Beautiful performance from the whole band btw)

Puts anything Mick Taylor played 1975-2014 to shame!

Have always loved this clip! Thanks for posting it.

IMHO
Ronnie was born to be a Stone. Period. He is also on of the most undervalued guitarists/songwriters in rock and roll. As well as being a damn fine painter/ artist Ronnie has the fun loving rock vibe personality which balances Keith's prince of Darkness cool.

Go watch Glastonbury and his playing on Sympathy. The fill licks and lead lines he throws in while holding down the song for Keith to solo is classic Ronnie. I for one don't think the Stones would have lasted as long on and off the stage without him.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 13, 2015 04:14

I must admit that was indeed an excellent performance by Ronnie. The tone and playing were both just great. I just wonder why he can't play like that anymore? Compare that solo to the one he did in this 2013 show. To be fair the rest of the band weren't as hot as in that 1981 clip either but the solos are day and night.

peace

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Previous page Next page First page IORR home