Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Ronnie Wood talk - What's on your mind right now?
Date: April 8, 2015 10:35

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
It needs to be mentioned that Ronnie has played ALL the SF tracks on excellent tours like B2B and NS before. Weirdly, back then, no one compared or complained.

How many catched the NS tour here, and felt as badly about Ronnie playing SM or MM as you express here on this board?

I complained plenty, as much of his playing was dreadful. Sorry.

I find his playing on the SM and MM versions (save one MM) from 99 excellent.

I have to disagree with you on this one. I never though Ronnie ever quite captured the feel of MM, but for that matter neither did Keith. Jagger was pretty good though. Ronnie had the right scale, played the notes and all, but something never quite felt right about his playing. I'm hoping (begging actually) that they don't rush the hell out of MM and Sway this time around and give the guitar players the correct tempo to play some soulful parts on. The mix is awfully important on this one too, can't have Keith too loud if he is going to play the same parts as last time. Those parts are way back in the mix on the perfect SF version. I will be all ears on these two, that's for sure, no beverage break until they attempt Miss You or Start Me Up.

peace

The "scale" and the "notes" were played by Mick. Ronnie played the slide parts only. Sparsely, yes, but definitely stuff that was fitting the song.

Keith played beautiful Mayfield-esque fills (much like on Almost Hear You Sigh) on the versions I've heard. He took on that role on SM as well.

I think they have the arrangements down, if they still play it like that. The only weak link on MM imo is Mick's voice. I know he can do it excellently, but if he saves his voice it will sound a bit tame.

Date: April 8, 2015 10:37

treaclefingers
bobo
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
It needs to be mentioned that Ronnie has played ALL the SF tracks on excellent tours like B2B and NS before. Weirdly, back then, no one compared or complained.

How many catched the NS tour here, and felt as badly about Ronnie playing SM or MM as you express here on this board?

Absolutely agree, DP.

YES! And the added bonus is Ronnie really looks the part.

Sister Moonlight or Morphine Mile? I suspect you mean he looks the latter part, right?

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: April 8, 2015 12:03

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

And how would you call Micks recent playing on Midnight Rambler? I can't imagine that you compare this output with what he'd done in the early 70s.

I was happy seeing him in Rome and Vienna for nostalgic reasons but that's it. Seems that he got a lot of problems with his health and he's only a shadow of his former self.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 8, 2015 13:27

silkcut1978_
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

And how would you call Micks recent playing on Midnight Rambler? I can't imagine that you compare this output with what he'd done in the early 70s.

I was happy seeing him in Rome and Vienna for nostalgic reasons but that's it. Seems that he got a lot of problems with his health and he's only a shadow of his former self.

That goes for the entire band, my dear silckut. I don't know about Taylor's health though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-08 13:29 by LuxuryStones.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 8, 2015 13:45

nonfilter
I, for one, love listening to Mick Taylor's spine chilling leads on "Ladies and Gentlemen", but I would just like to point out that members of the band most likely read these posts on occasion, and I think it is really disrespectful to one of the worlds most talented living musicians to keep talking about the guy that had his job before he got it forty years ago.

Sure, Ronnie has slacked at times and has his share of drug and alcohol problems that caused him to turn in some sub-par performances, but so has Mick Taylor. Ronnie has the job now (he got it in 1975) and he does it well. Crowds love him. His bosses love him. He played the most memorable parts on Maggie May and Stay With Me before he got his current job. He is amazingly good.

Imagine for a minute that more people care about the company you work for. There are online message boards discussing you and your co-workers. The guy you replaced quit, you interviewed, and you got the job. Forty years later, you still get online and read those message boards before you doze off every night. Everybody is still talking about how much better the previous guy did your job than you. He's not had a steady job since then. You've never missed a day of work. Feeling happy?

[www.non-filters.com]

Excellent thread, thanks for starting it.

Ignore the taylor whiners who will surely show up and whine the exact same things they have whined 20,000+ times before as if whining it 10,000 more times will change a thing. Those poor fellas are stuck in 1970s and are not wise enough to understand how band life works or mature enough to give proper respect to Ronnie Wood who has been part of this band 10 times longer than short-timer taylor.

Sure taylor was good while he was in the band but he quit a long long time ago.

Thanks to Ronnie Wood for not being a quitter.

I cant wait to see Ronnie playing along side Mick Keith and Charlie at 5-6 shows coming right up.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: April 8, 2015 15:19

Leonioid
nonfilter
I, for one, love listening to Mick Taylor's spine chilling leads on "Ladies and Gentlemen", but I would just like to point out that members of the band most likely read these posts on occasion, and I think it is really disrespectful to one of the worlds most talented living musicians to keep talking about the guy that had his job before he got it forty years ago.

Sure, Ronnie has slacked at times and has his share of drug and alcohol problems that caused him to turn in some sub-par performances, but so has Mick Taylor. Ronnie has the job now (he got it in 1975) and he does it well. Crowds love him. His bosses love him. He played the most memorable parts on Maggie May and Stay With Me before he got his current job. He is amazingly good.

Imagine for a minute that more people care about the company you work for. There are online message boards discussing you and your co-workers. The guy you replaced quit, you interviewed, and you got the job. Forty years later, you still get online and read those message boards before you doze off every night. Everybody is still talking about how much better the previous guy did your job than you. He's not had a steady job since then. You've never missed a day of work. Feeling happy?

[www.non-filters.com]

Excellent thread, thanks for starting it.

Ignore the taylor whiners who will surely show up and whine the exact same things they have whined 20,000+ times before as if whining it 10,000 more times will change a thing. Those poor fellas are stuck in 1970s and are not wise enough to understand how band life works or mature enough to give proper respect to Ronnie Wood who has been part of this band 10 times longer than short-timer taylor.

Sure taylor was good while he was in the band but he quit a long long time ago.

Thanks to Ronnie Wood for not being a quitter.

I cant wait to see Ronnie playing along side Mick Keith and Charlie at 5-6 shows coming right up.

YUP....I'm with ya 100% !

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 8, 2015 16:21

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

I have to disagree with you on this one. I never though Ronnie ever quite captured the feel of MM, but for that matter neither did Keith. Jagger was pretty good though. Ronnie had the right scale, played the notes and all, but something never quite felt right about his playing. I'm hoping (begging actually) that they don't rush the hell out of MM and Sway this time around and give the guitar players the correct tempo to play some soulful parts on. The mix is awfully important on this one too, can't have Keith too loud if he is going to play the same parts as last time. Those parts are way back in the mix on the perfect SF version. I will be all ears on these two, that's for sure, no beverage break until they attempt Miss You or Start Me Up.

peace

The "scale" and the "notes" were played by Mick. Ronnie played the slide parts only. Sparsely, yes, but definitely stuff that was fitting the song.

Keith played beautiful Mayfield-esque fills (much like on Almost Hear You Sigh) on the versions I've heard. He took on that role on SM as well.

I think they have the arrangements down, if they still play it like that. The only weak link on MM imo is Mick's voice. I know he can do it excellently, but if he saves his voice it will sound a bit tame.

"Moonlight Mile" is one of the most difficult Stones songs for Mick to sing - he seemingly always needs to make an extra effort when singing ballads, but here he supposed to scream his heart out as well - but if he continues as powerfully as he did last year in Europe, I think he surely will not to be the weakest link.

I listened two versions from 1999 tour I could find in youtube - Oakland and the following one from Toronto:

I remember listening some version a long time ago and that sounded horrible, to put it mildly... But now I think especially the version above is a decent one. Since I never miss any note-to-note versions to the originals, and despite they - lead by Chuck - seemingly are aiming at that direction (it is clear that the guitarists cannot even do that), I don't mind the 'arrangement' here; I try to listen in terms of its own.

Why it actually sounds rather good simply is... because it happens to be a damn fine tunegrinning smiley... Jagger sounds really saving his voice, but still he somehow manages to deliver it alright. Keith sounds surprisingly good and those little tasty "Japanese" licks fit damn well to the feel of the song. But I can't make any sense of Ronnie's slide playing. He is contributing nothing to the feel of the song, but quite the contrary: his rough and sloppy playing sounds like belonging to some rather different song altogether (good that he doesn't play any more, though). There is nothing of that finesse needed in his touch to serve that song me thinks.

So what to expect in AD 2015? Like I said, Mick is in a better form these days to sing songs like that, so I think he will do better. Keith was in a great form back in 1999, so I am afraid that we will not hear so sublime playing anymore. Sober Ronnie is much better now in many ways - wasn't NO SECURITY TOUR the one he doesn't remember anything about afterwards?grinning smiley - but I am skeptical if he could ever really serve that kind of song right; those fine nuanced, dreamy landscapes is not his cup of tea (or I have never heard him expressing those kind of feelings). I hope he proves me wrong. In the end, Mick and Chuck will take care that the song comes out alright in any case, no matter what the guitar boys do...

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-08 16:32 by Doxa.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 8, 2015 16:41

If Jagger can sing with passion the last "Cause, I'm just about a moonlight mile on down the road ... ", or if they come up with something similarly effective, then they can do Moonlight Mile. Otherwise, they better not.

When I say passion, of course I don't expect something similar to the original studio version, that would be impossible to replicate, but at least a performance in line with the Lix versions of That's how strong my love is.

He could try, but not while playing the guitar.

C

Date: April 8, 2015 16:52

liddas
If Jagger can sing with passion the last "Cause, I'm just about a moonlight mile on down the road ... ", or if they come up with something similarly effective, then they can do Moonlight Mile. Otherwise, they better not.

When I say passion, of course I don't expect something similar to the original studio version, that would be impossible to replicate, but at least a performance in line with the Lix versions of That's how strong my love is.

He could try, but not while playing the guitar.

C

It is that kind of "passion" with which he surprised me positively during the European Tour (and seemingly all the way to Australia before something went wrong with his voice). That's why I have high hopes for the upcoming "Moonlight Mile".

- Doxa

Date: April 8, 2015 16:57

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

peace

"Moonlight Mile" is one of the most difficult Stones songs for Mick to sing - he seemingly always needs to make an extra effort when singing ballads, but here he supposed to scream his heart out as well - but if he continues as powerfully as he did last year in Europe, I think he surely will not to be the weakest link.

I listened two versions from 1999 tour I could find in youtube - Oakland and the following one from Toronto:

I remember listening some version a long time ago and that sounded horrible, to put it mildly... But now I think especially the version above is a decent one. Since I never miss any note-to-note versions to the originals, and despite they - lead by Chuck - seemingly are aiming at that direction (it is clear that the guitarists cannot even do that), I don't mind the 'arrangement' here; I try to listen in terms of its own.

Why it actually sounds rather good simply is... because it happens to be a damn fine tunegrinning smiley... Jagger sounds really saving his voice, but still he somehow manages to deliver it alright. Keith sounds surprisingly good and those little tasty "Japanese" licks fit damn well to the feel of the song. But I can't make any sense of Ronnie's slide playing. He is contributing nothing to the feel of the song, but quite the contrary: his rough and sloppy playing sounds like belonging to some rather different song altogether (good that he doesn't play any more, though). There is nothing of that finesse needed in his touch to serve that song me thinks.

So what to expect in AD 2015? Like I said, Mick is in a better form these days to sing songs like that, so I think he will do better. Keith was in a great form back in 1999, so I am afraid that we will not hear so sublime playing anymore. Sober Ronnie is much better now in many ways - wasn't NO SECURITY TOUR the one he doesn't remember anything about afterwards?grinning smiley - but I am skeptical if he could ever really serve that kind of song right; those fine nuanced, dreamy landscapes is not his cup of tea (or I have never heard him expressing those kind of feelings). I hope he proves me wrong. In the end, Mick and Chuck will take care that the song comes out alright in any case, no matter what the guitar boys do...

- Doxa

You sound like you have never heard the Faces (or Already Over me, for that matter) grinning smiley

The Oakland version features lovely slide playing from Ronnie. The one you picked is the poor one (the only poor MM live I've heard, actually). I think we should be happy with a good version like this one on the upcoming tour.

Some good stuff here from Ronnie to jog your memory winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-08 16:58 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 8, 2015 17:08

The conclusion is simple in its simplicity: Taylor should never have quit the Stones nor Ronnie the Faces.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 8, 2015 17:10

Wow both of these MM are awful.. I don't think MT would help make these any better however.

Date: April 8, 2015 17:21

Yeah, I'll give you that Ronnie is better in Oakland, but since I think both Mick and Keith are worse than they were in Toronto, I over-all prefer that one (of those two). For me the greatness of a performance is more in the shoulders of those two than Ronnie's... Of course, die-hard Woodists think otherwise...grinning smiley

Great cuts those two by the Faces and Ronnie's playing is nice and tasty. But it lacks the sublimity or finesse in expressing certain kind of emotions... Something to do with his touch and fragmentary and a bit shaky style. He is not very melodical player and that can be heard thru and thru ("Already All Over Me", by the way, is just a one big piece of skitch). But his style suits very well to the Faces (well, it constitutes it basically) and he is very fitting to the Stones (mostly). He is a fun guitar player as he is as a person (I suppose).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-08 17:26 by Doxa.

Date: April 8, 2015 17:27

What is a "skitch"?

His dobro playing on Already Over Me is lovely.

With the high demands you guys are setting, they can't do anything - with or without Taylor.

It can't have come to this that we can't enjoy Monkey Man or Under My Thumb, because Keith lacks sublime touches or finesse. This is the @#$%& Rolling Stones we're talking about.

What I love the most about this band is the opposite of what you guys enjoy. I love the wonky, wobbly stuff, the short biting licks AND that it always falls into place again. The unique swing.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 8, 2015 17:51

DandelionPowderman
What is a "skitch"?

His dobro playing on Already Over Me is lovely.

With the high demands you guys are setting, they can't do anything - with or without Taylor.

It can't have come to this that we can't enjoy Monkey Man or Under My Thumb, because Keith lacks sublime touches or finesse. This is the @#$%& Rolling Stones we're talking about.

What I love the most about this band is the opposite of what you guys enjoy. I love the wonky, wobbly stuff, the short biting licks AND that it always falls into place again. The unique swing.
thumbs up

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: April 8, 2015 19:05

LuxuryStones
silkcut1978_
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

That goes for the entire band, my dear silckut. I don't know about Taylor's health though.

Obviously you're right - but what's the point now to add Mick? Sad, but based on what we've heard from him in the 70s his decline is enormous and I doubt that he could add much to Moonlight Mile or whatever. But we'll never know..

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: April 8, 2015 21:13

DoomandGloom
Ronnie is very thick skinned. This situation is decades old. I believe it urks The Glimmers much more as MT shares equal credit for their golden days. Wood is a genius business man, he is laughing all the way to the bank. He loves being a Stone. As a copycat he is aweful but his contribution to newer material has been solid.

A genius businessman? You haven't read his book then? He continually loses his entire fortune until another mega tour comes along to bail him out.
Apart from that I do like Ronnie tho. The Stones would never have survived without him. The punk era would have killed them if they'd have had a fat MT noodling over everything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-08 21:14 by vertigojoe.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 8, 2015 21:42

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

peace

Mick's parts are fine. I actually like all the parts in general, but something is off compared to the original, not sure what it is, maybe just a bit to fast. Those Mayfield-esqe lick are even sweeter when slowed down. Also the acoustic tones on the original are missing. It's also obvious Mick's voice is at least doubled on the record. So great on SF, it's obviously going to be hard to reproduce live. They probably spent considerable time in the studio on this one tweaking the mix. As far as Mick's singing is concerned, I think SF and Exile were his absolute best period and he has never really been able to reproduce the tone, passion and soul he demonstrated in the early 70's.

peace

Date: April 8, 2015 21:46

I agree with all of this NL.

The question is what we can expect out of a live version.

Date: April 8, 2015 21:56

DandelionPowderman

The question is what we can expect out of a live version.

Probably the same thing we got in '99, not likely they will slow it down in the stadium setting. But you'll probably agree, if they are going to do a slow dreamy number, tempo is everything and the originals of MM and Sway were perfect. A little bit faster doesn't really make a difference except to ruin the feel, imo. Where is Chuck with his history book and BPM count off when you need him? smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 8, 2015 22:05

vertigojoe
DoomandGloom
Ronnie is very thick skinned. This situation is decades old. I believe it urks The Glimmers much more as MT shares equal credit for their golden days. Wood is a genius business man, he is laughing all the way to the bank. He loves being a Stone. As a copycat he is aweful but his contribution to newer material has been solid.

A genius businessman? You haven't read his book then? He continually loses his entire fortune until another mega tour comes along to bail him out.
Apart from that I do like Ronnie tho. The Stones would never have survived without him. The punk era would have killed them if they'd have had a fat MT noodling over everything.

You don't like him for blowing all his money? But isnt that one of the best parts of being a rock star, blowing all of the money and then doing a mega tour to get it all back? Nice work life if you can get it.

"I make so much money,
That I'm spending so fast"

When the whip comes down.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 8, 2015 22:24

DandelionPowderman

...and it needs to be mentioned again!
Thank you for this opportunity cool smiley

Date: April 8, 2015 22:32

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

peace

How about: his name isn't MT and therefore it's uncool since a couple of weeks on IORR to say he's doing a mighty fine job...

Date: April 8, 2015 22:47

Dreamer
How about: his name isn't MT and therefore it's uncool since a couple of weeks on IORR to say he's doing a mighty fine job...

I'm more than happy to acknowledge Ronnie's fine contributions when I occasionally hear them, just wish they were more frequent and more fine. grinning smiley

Never really cared what was cool on this board although I have found myself tempering a few posts so as not to attract unwanted attention from our moderator.

peace

Date: April 8, 2015 22:49

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

peace

- Doxa

Best guitar play in this version was probably done by the singer but of course that's always forbidden to mention on this forum.

Date: April 8, 2015 22:53

No, not at all. Mick is indeed doing a very good job here, like he did on the studio version.

Date: April 8, 2015 22:57

Dreamer
Best guitar play in this version was probably done by the singer but of course that's always forbidden to mention on this forum.

Totally agree Dreamer, but I hope you don't think you have to post based on what you think others will like or appreciate. I welcome divergent opinions, they often lead to the best discussions here on iorr and tend to balance out the other stuff.

Also FYI, I have mentioned twice on this thread that Mick's guitar playing was the best and 71Tele even started a thread on Mick guitar playing...

peace

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 8, 2015 22:59

kleermaker

But he was by far the most handsome and beautiful Rolling Stone ever during his tenure. Beating all others, Jagger included, by a mile. Even a straight guy can tell you that. cool smiley

When MT resigned Jagger made remarks about this such as, "We are looking for a new 6ft tall guitarist who also knows how to put on his own make up" (what's the exact quote?)

When MT started out with the Stones he was vegetarian and was kind of pure and unsullied. Partly due to being six years younger than the wasted and jaded Richards-Jagger

Date: April 8, 2015 23:00

Naturalust
Dreamer

Totally agree Dreamer, but I hope you don't think you have to post based on what you think others will like or appreciate. I welcome divergent opinions, they often lead to the best discussions here on iorr and tend to balance out the other stuff.

Also FYI, I have mentioned twice on this thread that Mick's guitar playing was the best and 71Tele even started a thread on Mick guitar playing...

peace

I bet he had that thread in mind winking smiley

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: April 8, 2015 23:13

Leonioid
vertigojoe
DoomandGloom

You don't like him for blowing all his money? But isnt that one of the best parts of being a rock star, blowing all of the money and then doing a mega tour to get it all back? Nice work life if you can get it.

"I make so much money,
That I'm spending so fast"

When the whip comes down.

I don't care if he blows all his money. At least he's not a tight wad like MJ.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home