Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Ronnie Wood talk - What's on your mind right now?
Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: April 6, 2015 05:18

I, for one, love listening to Mick Taylor's spine chilling leads on "Ladies and Gentlemen", but I would just like to point out that members of the band most likely read these posts on occasion, and I think it is really disrespectful to one of the worlds most talented living musicians to keep talking about the guy that had his job before he got it forty years ago.

Sure, Ronnie has slacked at times and has his share of drug and alcohol problems that caused him to turn in some sub-par performances, but so has Mick Taylor. Ronnie has the job now (he got it in 1975) and he does it well. Crowds love him. His bosses love him. He played the most memorable parts on Maggie May and Stay With Me before he got his current job. He is amazingly good.

Imagine for a minute that more people care about the company you work for. There are online message boards discussing you and your co-workers. The guy you replaced quit, you interviewed, and you got the job. Forty years later, you still get online and read those message boards before you doze off every night. Everybody is still talking about how much better the previous guy did your job than you. He's not had a steady job since then. You've never missed a day of work. Feeling happy?

[www.non-filters.com]

Re: Ronnie Wood talk - What's on your mind right now?
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 6, 2015 07:23

Ronnie is very thick skinned. This situation is decades old. I believe it urks The Glimmers much more as MT shares equal credit for their golden days. Wood is a genius business man, he is laughing all the way to the bank. He loves being a Stone. As a copycat he is aweful but his contribution to newer material has been solid.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 6, 2015 07:26

Doomier and Gloomier.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 6, 2015 08:05

His problem, if you want to call it that, is that he doesn't have a particularly distinctive style. His best contributions appear to be that 1975-80 period. But he's been good for the band and kept them going and he's a pretty mean slide player. He's much more appropriate for the band than Darryl Jones ever will be.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 6, 2015 08:12

A really unnecessary and defensive post. The discussion about Mick Taylor does not imply any disrespect toward Ron Wood. The fact that Taylor is still discussed and missed so much here is indicative of impact of his work with the band during a very fruitful and creative period. One doesn't have to jump to the defense of Ron Wood because people are discussing Mick Taylor.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 6, 2015 08:13

First let me say, it's very kind of you to be so compassionate about Ronnie's feelings nonfilter.

Imagine for a minute you had a job that paid you a million dollars for two hours work anytime you worked, for doing what you loved most in the world to do. You were adored by millions, had a loving relationship and kids and still had relatively good health after cashing in plenty of fun chips which could have jeopardized it. Your other creative outlet provides you with more money than 99% of people who work 40 hours a week. You once logged into a fan site and saw that people were critical of your work and preferred a different employee to you, but you're a partner so you job security is guaranteed. Still feeling happy? ....

I'd say you'd have to be pretty blind to reality not be content with your situation. I'd go further to say it's even possible Ronnie is more unhappy about the role he has been forced to play musically in the Stones for all these years. Supporting the bands music without writing credits and perhaps without the true creative outlet that would have pushed him to be a better guitarist and a better songwriter might have somehow stunted his artistic development as a musician. Could be one of the reasons he explores painting and probably spends considerably more time doing that then writing music these days.

When I post to that other thread my intention is certainly not to be disrespectful to Ronnie. Ronnie would probably be the first to admit he's not the best guitarist the Stones ever had and I do have genuine respect for him. In fact as much as I love Keith, in 2015, I'd pay the price to see a purely Taylor/Wood Stones for a bit of excitement and change. smoking smiley

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-06 08:15 by Naturalust.

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: April 6, 2015 15:30

Well I for one love Ronnie's playing.. No Ron Wood, no Some Girls album IMOsmiling smiley And some of his solo LP's ain't too shabby either
john

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: April 6, 2015 15:45

The Rolling Stones would not still be a working band without Ronnie Wood.
I truly believe this, of course NO ONE knows if this is actually true or not.
Ronnie saved the band with his personality, his artistic talent, and his workman like approach to playing in The Rolling Stones.

He has gotten song writing credits, he has contributed tons of licks, and idea's to the Stones since he has been a member. He played on the biggest selling album that band ever put out. Ronnie is a great foil, and a pretty good guitarist. Why Mick Taylor always comes into the conversation, I'll never know.....he quit....he isn't a member of the band...he guested a great long slot all through the last tour...he played on 2 or 3 songs a night....just as it should be. Ronnie earned his partnership with The Rolling Stones....He is a consummate professional.

The Midnight Rambler played in San Jose during No Security, was just as good as the version with Mick Taylor in Philadelphia during 50 and counting...

78, Tattoo You, Steel Wheels, Voodoo, Bridges, No Security, Licks, Bigger Bang, 50 and counting, 14 On Fire....were tours that were as good if not better than the tours with Mick Taylor. Quit livin in the past man, how many of you were even born in the seventies?

Mick and Keith made the right decision, Ronnie Wood is a Rolling Stone, and Mick Taylor can't just walk right in, sit right down from here on out. I tip my hat to the only version of the Rolling Stones that I have ever seen live...I enjoyed Taylors playing in Phili and DC during 50 and counting...but it wasn't THAT much better, it was a novelty, a hook, a reunion, a gesture, a dream come true to some fans....they gave it to you...now back to the show.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: April 6, 2015 15:45

grinning smiley

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 6, 2015 16:43

Comparisons between guitarists are always stupid in my opinion, every guitarist has a way of expression that can like it or not. I do not think that the most creative period of the Rolling Stones is the Taylor period, but the period Brian. When Taylor came in the RS RS were already acclaimed the band, and had already written most of the masterpieces.
Ronnie Wood has reported in a few moments the period Brian, shame that because of motions factors failed to do so continuously.
Ronnie has a good character, he was never interested in being the first, known to have been very fortunate in life, and that's enough. Ronnie does not need the RS to be recognized a great guitarist, was the guitarist from Faces and his guitar is printed on the historical parts, not to mention his excellent solo career.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 6, 2015 16:52

I hope they add MT to the tour to take the burden off Ronnie...I'm a 'Taylorite' but I like Ronnie...I feel for him having to go out and play Sticky Fingers and suffering the inevitable comparisons...

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 6, 2015 16:59

"Suffering" comparisons...

Lol.

Date: April 6, 2015 17:13

It needs to be mentioned that Ronnie has played ALL the SF tracks on excellent tours like B2B and NS before. Weirdly, back then, no one compared or complained.

How many catched the NS tour here, and felt as badly about Ronnie playing SM or MM as you express here on this board?

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 6, 2015 17:24

DandelionPowderman
It needs to be mentioned that Ronnie has played ALL the SF tracks on excellent tours like B2B and NS before. Weirdly, back then, no one compared or complained.

How many catched the NS tour here, and felt as badly about Ronnie playing SM or MM as you express here on this board?

Yeah and no one would be saying anything about this if Mick Taylor had not been on tour with them recently,people that complain about him not being on this tour should just move on and go and enjoy watching the greatest band the world has ever seen.

Nate thumbs up

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 6, 2015 17:38

Ronnie is the real Keith Richards when it comes to alcahol and drugs. Ronnies comment was that for 40 years he never once got up on stage sober. He was always drinking and or drugging.

In the past of course! Ronnie does not ingest that stuff anymore and is the most sociable Rolling Stone, going out on the twon with Sally and frequently spinning out a few tunes

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 6, 2015 17:46

MisterDDDD
"Suffering" comparisons...

Lol.

Okay...didn't quite mean that...just comparisons, then...

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: April 6, 2015 17:49

triceratops
Ronnie is the real Keith Richards when it comes to alcahol and drugs. Ronnies comment was that for 40 years he never once got up on stage sober. He was always drinking and or drugging.

In the past of course! Ronnie does not ingest that stuff anymore and is the most sociable Rolling Stone, going out on the twon with Sally and frequently spinning out a few tunes

I love them all and they are all unique but there is only one Keith Richards

Nate spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: April 6, 2015 18:44

Ron Wood is the better fit as a Rolling Stone, the look... attitude, style and playing contributions. Mick Taylor played some great solos with great melody
and definitly helped define their 70's sound as a part of their whole.

Ron Wood is and has always been, the total package.

Date: April 6, 2015 19:36

DandelionPowderman

I complained plenty, as much of his playing was dreadful. Sorry.

Date: April 6, 2015 19:41

three16
Ron Wood is the better fit as a Rolling Stone, the look... attitude, style and playing contributions. Mick Taylor played some great solos with great melody

You tipped your hand. You care more about "look" and "style", and "attitude" (whatever that means), apparently, than music. Mick Taylor was about musicality, not just solos, as you should surely know by now if you have bothered to listen to the records and hear the shows. It's as much about the inventive playing behind the vocals and against Keith as it is about soloing. It's lyricism and grace. Listen to the comments by the band members themselves. They talk about his musicality, not whether he had the right haircut or "attitude". But I acknowledge that there is a certain kind of fan who values look and attitude above the music.

Date: April 6, 2015 19:52

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

I find his playing on the SM and MM versions (save one MM) from 99 excellent.

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: April 6, 2015 19:58

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Absolutely agree, DP.

Date: April 6, 2015 21:17

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Yes, I know you do.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 6, 2015 22:33

71Tele
three16

You tipped your hand. You care more about "look" and "style", and "attitude" (whatever that means), apparently, than music. Mick Taylor was about musicality, not just solos, as you should surely know by now if you have bothered to listen to the records and hear the shows. It's as much about the inventive playing behind the vocals and against Keith as it is about soloing. It's lyricism and grace. Listen to the comments by the band members themselves. They talk about his musicality, not whether he had the right haircut or "attitude". But I acknowledge that there is a certain kind of fan who values look and attitude above the music.

But he was by far the most handsome and beautiful Rolling Stone ever during his tenure. Beating all others, Jagger included, by a mile. Even a straight guy can tell you that. cool smiley

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: April 6, 2015 23:23

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Yes, I know you do.

Good for youwinking smiley

Date: April 8, 2015 03:51

71Tele
three16

Mick Taylor sucks. Telecasters do too. It's only rock & roll. That's probably what Stu thought. Lol.

Date: April 8, 2015 04:15

three16

Mick Taylor sucks. Telecasters do too. It's only rock & roll. That's probably what Stu thought. Lol.

Thank you for demonstrating your vastly superior taste and knowledge. You will be a welcome addition to this board, and I am sure if your future posts show as much depth and insight as this one, the members will benefit tremendously. I for one, especially welcome your knowledge about what people now deceased "probably" thought. No doubt you are intimately familiar with Brian's thinking as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-08 04:16 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 8, 2015 04:28

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

I have to disagree with you on this one. I never though Ronnie ever quite captured the feel of MM, but for that matter neither did Keith. Jagger was pretty good though. Ronnie had the right scale, played the notes and all, but something never quite felt right about his playing. I'm hoping (begging actually) that they don't rush the hell out of MM and Sway this time around and give the guitar players the correct tempo to play some soulful parts on. The mix is awfully important on this one too, can't have Keith too loud if he is going to play the same parts as last time. Those parts are way back in the mix on the perfect SF version. I will be all ears on these two, that's for sure, no beverage break until they attempt Miss You or Start Me Up.

peace

Date: April 8, 2015 04:38

71Tele
three16

Thank you for demonstrating your vastly superior taste and knowledge. You will be a welcome addition to this board, and I am sure if your future posts show as much depth and insight as this one, the members will benefit tremendously. I for one, especially welcome your knowledge about what people now deceased "probably" thought. No doubt you are intimately familiar with Brian's thinking as well.

You're welcome. If you or I were to ponder on Brian's dead brain thinking, we would look for a thread titled: Brian Jones talk - What's on your mind right now? Because there ain't nothing on his.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 8, 2015 06:08

bobo
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman

Absolutely agree, DP.

YES! And the added bonus is Ronnie really looks the part.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1822
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home