Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: Better Rock N' Roll Voice - Lennon or Jagger
Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: April 6, 2015 22:25

Rockman
Ringo or Charlie ?

As a pure entertainer...Ringo hands down....plays drums, sings, tours non-stop, does interviews and saves extinct animals.

Date: April 6, 2015 22:39

stanlove
whitem8
stanlove we get it. You play the same record over and over. Perhaps time to lift the needed and change the song? Washed up by 73? That's a laugh. Walls and Bridges was fantastic and got him his first number one in the US, Whatever Gets You Through the Night. Bobby Keys playing some awesome sax on that too. You have said in the past he is self absorbed and who would like that...well another way to look at it is that he shares the human experience with his fans. His trials, tribulations, love, and hate all resonate with others because they can related to those same human experiences. Self absorbed? or sharing from the heart making a connection to others.

I think most his songs on DF were very high quality, I just didn't like the production and much prefer the naked version that was releases a few years ago. But as for vocals go, he still had his chops. Listen to I'm Losing You then (Just Like) Starting Over and you hear such a range from howling rock to classic Elvis inspired rockabilly. Oh, and for some other great vocals from a guy washed up listen to his version of Stand By Me from Rock n' Roll. Fantastic vocals on that.

Nobody is forcing you to read my post correct? Guys like you kill me. If someone says something nice about Lennon its ok but if someone says anything not ice about him then they are out of line. Actually its ok to feel anyway you want about Lennon and to post it

Your another way to look at its is laughable to me. basically saying he was doing us a favor by being a narcissist. Yeah I want to hear more about Yoko and your relationship with her. Please tell us more about your stay at home father duties. Spell binding stuff. But again here Lennon gets credit for rambling on about himself. Your just the type of person I was talking about.

Can you tell me how many copies of Wall and bridges sold? If you think Whatever gets You Through the Night is a real good song then I don't know what to tell you.

Great Question: I am not into chart positions but since you brought it up...
Walls and Bridges just so happened to go Billboard #1 & Gold !!!
She's The Boss (great album right...even Keith thought it was a joke) Billboard #13

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 6, 2015 22:43

Lennon was the better singer but I think an overlooked strength of Jagger's singing is that he's a great actor within his singing. Like in the last half of It's Only Rock N Roll Jagger's breathiness and moaning I don't think Lennon could have quite matched.

Date: April 6, 2015 23:11

No contest. John was great, but lacked Mick's power and versatility when singing rock'n'roll, imo.

Date: April 6, 2015 23:17

DandelionPowderman
No contest. John was great, but lacked Mick's power and versatility when singing rock'n'roll, imo.

I have hard time with the power or versatility aspect...he is really just talk-singing.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: April 6, 2015 23:21

OK let's get this into prespective.

Seems like you are comparing Beatles _Lennon with - Stones - Jagger 1980's onwards.
Ok let's compare a similar time period, Did the Beatles make four better studio albums than, Beggars Banquet - Let It Bleed - Exile On Main Street - Sticky Fingers? - Did they make a better live album than - Get Yer Ya Ya's Out.? - I don't think so.

Better Rock 'n' Roll Vocalist - Jagger or Lennon.? well I know that Jaggers voice was more suited to the Stones than lennon's would ever have been, and that's all that matters on a Stones board. Since you are pressing on a Better Vocalist - well look no futher than Dan McCaffertey of Nazareth.

Would the Beatles be able to cut it in 2015 without technoligy - give me a break! , does Paul McCarntney dye his hair? how far do yo want to go. There is only one 'Greatest Rock'n' Roll Band in the World'- ladies and Gentlemen-'The Rolling Stones'

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: April 6, 2015 23:26

DandelionPowderman

And Mick can't dance for shit. Even if he tries too hard.

On the contrary, look at those moves:

Morrissey is an Elvis impersonator

And a Sinatra impersonator

Now if you want to impress us with Mick Jagger's so called "versatility", try again!

Date: April 6, 2015 23:33

Tonstone

Seems like you are comparing Beatles _Lennon with - Stones - Jagger 1980's onwards.
Ok let's compare a similar time period, Did the Beatles make four better studio albums than, Beggars Banquet - Let It Bleed - Exile On Main Street - Sticky Fingers? - Did they make a better live album than - Get Yer Ya Ya's Out.? - I don't think so.

Better Rock 'n' Roll Vocalist - Jagger or Lennon.? well I know that Jaggers voice was more suited to the Stones than lennon's would ever have been, and that's all that matters on a Stones board. Since you are pressing on a Better Vocalist - well look no futher than Dan McCaffertey of Nazareth.

Would the Beatles be able to cut it in 2015 without technoligy - give me a break! , does Paul McCarntney dye his hair? how far do yo want to go. There is only one 'Greatest Rock'n' Roll Band in the World'- ladies and Gentlemen-'The Rolling Stones'

Thru-out Micks career up to this day he does not come close to Lennon 63-70
End of Story - Mick is the maestro master of the B Team.

Dan McCaffertey of Nazareth >>> C Team Non-Factor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-06 23:39 by 2120Wolf.

Date: April 6, 2015 23:36

RomanCandle
DandelionPowderman

And Mick can't dance for shit. Even if he tries too hard.

On the contrary, look at those moves:

Morrissey is an Elvis impersonator

And a Sinatra impersonator

Now if you want to impress us with Mick Jagger's so called "versatility", try again!
d

Musically the Stones are great...but this prancing around has always been a joke...he makes the Stones look like a fag band...

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: April 6, 2015 23:59

The fan he holds is WAY too much. On the contrary Prince and Morrissey can hold flowers on stage without looking like idiots. Oh... wait...

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: April 7, 2015 01:03

2120Wolf
Tonstone

Thru-out Micks career up to this day he does not come close to Lennon 63-70
End of Story - Mick is the maestro master of the B Team.

Dan McCaffertey of Nazareth >>> C Team Non-Factor[/quot

AH we have resorted to a.b.c.. teams based on your opinion,could you please answer the question and let me me know of at least 4 better studio albums and a better live album from your B team.End of Story. And how does Dan McCaffertey become C league.? Intrigued.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: April 7, 2015 01:33

2120Wolf

Musically the Stones are great...but this prancing around has always been a joke...he makes the Stones look like a fag band...

What, pray tell, is an example of "a fag band"?

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: April 7, 2015 02:10

2120Wolf
Everybody keeps bringing up Lennons solo stuff...Do you really think Jaggers solo stuff is anywhere near good...Jagger solo is not anywhere near the caliber of Lennons solo.

Another thing to keep in mind...Do you really think that what you are hearing at Stones live shows is Micks actual voice...come on it is so technically enhanced it is a joke.

Lennon starting writing solo music in the 1960s. Doesn't make sense to compare it to Jagger who didn't start his solo career until much later. We can compare what Jagger was doing in the 1970s with what Lennon was doing at the time.

Date: April 7, 2015 02:28

whitem8
stanlove, I really don't care how you feel, but I will debate the points with you. Yeah, I am one of those kind of guys. You just often seem to troll around to be purposefully negative, or overly opinionated. And yeah I do like Whatever Gets you Through the Night. So I guess that is it, in your mind I am written off. And you really missed the entire point. As you often do. Why? I can't pretend to know how you approach critical thinking but often you seem angry, frustrated and just plane mean. But that's your journey.
Yeah, a lot of people will listen to Lennon and relate to his story. Will listen to how deeply he loves someone and think about their love in their lives, and how that song, or lyric resonates with their own life experience. Some of the best music in the world is narcissistic and speaks to people's own lives and common experiences. But that is a deep level of emotional intelligence you seem to lack. But hey its cool stanlove... at least you have love in your name.

I find it funny that you are just basically saying that yeah Lennon was a complete narcissist and you dug that about him.LOL..

I used to work with a guy who rambled on about his self everyday at work for hours. I worked with the guy for 5 years and I like everyone else knew everything about his life and about how he felt about everything, but after 5 years he couldn't even tell you if his cowarkers were married or had kids. If you want I could get his number for you so you could let it resonate with your own lifes experience.

I am not angry or mean, I just know a lot of things are obvious and simple and I cut through the garbage which is what Lennon and his wife were always selling.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-07 02:39 by stanlove.

Date: April 7, 2015 02:34

Pietro
stanlove

Your another way to look at its is laughable to me. basically saying he was doing us a favor by being a narcissist. Yeah I want to hear more about Yoko and your relationship with her. Please tell us more about your stay at home father duties. Spell binding stuff. But again here Lennon gets credit for rambling on about himself. Your just the type of person I was talking about.

Sure he was a narcissist, and a boring one at that. He wrote a song called "God" in which, in tedious fashion, he recites all the people he doesn't believe in (Jesus, Kennedy, Yoga (!)) except himself and his shrill-throated girlfriend. Then he announces as "the dreamweaver" that the dream is dead, that he was the walrus but now he's John and for now on we just have to "carry on."

Can you imagine Mick Jagger singing this narcissistic drivel?

I have never seen anyone like Lennon when it came to stuff like this. He was such a narcissist that he never could see this. Sad thing was way too many people couldn't see it about Lennon.

I remember watching an interview with Harrison once when Harrison was informed that Lennon said that Lennon was Harrison's hero in the early days. I willo ever forget the look on Harrison's face. If I remember correctly he was speechless for a few seconds, thought it was pathetic that anyone could make a statement like that, and he was embarrassed for Lennon.

The same guy who said this..Amazing..

It's the Muhammad Ali line, you know. I couldn't sing it, but it was perfect for Ringo. He could say 'I'm the greatest' and people wouldn't get upset. Whereas if I said 'I'm the greatest,' they'd all take it so seriously.

John Lennon, 1980
All We Are Saying, David Sheff

Date: April 7, 2015 04:09

stanlove
Pietro
stanlove

Sure he was a narcissist, and a boring one at that. He wrote a song called "God" in which, in tedious fashion, he recites all the people he doesn't believe in (Jesus, Kennedy, Yoga (!)) except himself and his shrill-throated girlfriend. Then he announces as "the dreamweaver" that the dream is dead, that he was the walrus but now he's John and for now on we just have to "carry on."

I have never seen anyone like Lennon when it came to stuff like this. He was such a narcissist that he never could see this. Sad thing was way too many people couldn't see it about Lennon.

I remember watching an interview with Harrison once when Harrison was informed that Lennon said that Lennon was Harrison's hero in the early days. I willo ever forget the look on Harrison's face. If I remember correctly he was speechless for a few seconds, thought it was pathetic that anyone could make a statement like that, and he was embarrassed for Lennon.

It's the Muhammad Ali line, you know. I couldn't sing it, but it was perfect for Ringo. He could say 'I'm the greatest' and people wouldn't get upset. Whereas if I said 'I'm the greatest,' they'd all take it so seriously.

John Lennon, 1980

Harrison idolized Lennon..as did everyone that came out of England to follow...
It is a well known fact...

Date: April 7, 2015 04:15

stanlove
2120Wolf
Everybody keeps bringing up Lennons solo stuff...Do you really think Jaggers solo stuff is anywhere near good...Jagger solo is not anywhere near the caliber of Lennons solo.

Another thing to keep in mind...Do you really think that what you are hearing at Stones live shows is Micks actual voice...come on it is so technically enhanced it is a joke.

Lennon starting writing solo music in the 1960s. Doesn't make sense to compare it to Jagger who didn't start his solo career until much later. We can compare what Jagger was doing in the 1970s with what Lennon was doing at the time.

No comparison when it comes to Lyrics - ZERO...A COMPLETE NON-SUBJECT
Unless you want to have a go at it...Keith wrote most of it...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 7, 2015 04:51

It is also interesting that a discussion about the two different men and their vocals, and how some posters turned it more into an analysis of one man's character. Now if we were talking about the moral character traits of Mick and John that would be a whole different subject...but I thought we were more talking about their vocals. And again, I love them both, but Lennon's vocals for me are stronger. More power, more versatility, and more vocal range. Mick is great for the Stones, but again he too often relied on a satirical style which losses its appeal after numerous listens. And he does not have the technical range or prowess to match Lennon.

Date: April 7, 2015 07:44

2120Wolf
stanlove
Pietro
stanlove

John Lennon, 1980

Harrison idolized Lennon..as did everyone that came out of England to follow...
It is a well known fact...

IS that a John Lennon quote?

Date: April 7, 2015 07:48

2120Wolf
stanlove
2120Wolf

No comparison when it comes to Lyrics - ZERO...A COMPLETE NON-SUBJECT
Unless you want to have a go at it...Keith wrote most of it...

This doesn't change the fact that comparing what Lennon did in the 70s is not a fair comparison to what Jagger was doing 10 to 30 years later.

Yeah I will take what Mick did with the Stones from 1970-81 over what Lennon did solo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-07 07:57 by stanlove.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 7, 2015 09:04

John has the best voice in rock history - it's perfect.

But, Jagger could sing the blues - King Bee, Love in Vain, Stop Breaking Down. Lennon couldn't touch him if he tried to sing the blues, which he never did because he was smarter than that.

Date: April 7, 2015 10:14

I am not convinced that Lennon couldn't sing the blues. DOn't Let Me Down is one if his best soul/blues songs. Yer BLues, whew he scorches on that. Well (Baby Please Don't Go) is another great blues track with Zappa on guitar, and Lennon sounds fantastic. He loved the blues, and he could sing them.

Date: April 7, 2015 11:07

2120Wolf
DandelionPowderman

I have hard time with the power or versatility aspect...he is really just talk-singing.

When needed, yes. But it isn't hard to find countless examples of the opposite - hence versatile.

The ballads obviously proves that Mick is an ace vocalist, but we got songs like Too Tough, where you get both the talk-singing and the melodic stuff.

Lennon's voice is a bit too thin for rock'n'roll, imo. McCartney, weirdly enough, did the powerful stuff (Oh Darling, Helter Skelter).

But nobody touches John on stuff like Strawberry Fields, Lucy In The Sky and Across The Universe.

Maybe he lacked the "ugliness" that Mick can provide?

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 7, 2015 11:40

I would love to hear Jagger try to do Lennon's primal scream. 2.30 mark:

[youtu.be]

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 7, 2015 12:55

LongBeachArena72
2120Wolf

What, pray tell, is an example of "a fag band"?

I assume, a band in which the members keep on lighting up another cigarette. So yeah, a very apt description for the Stones.

As for being on-topic, come on, that's ridiculous. Just imagine Lennon singing Jumping Jack Flash or Monkey Man or Gimme Shelter or... whatever..., I can't take the question serious. Even McCartney was a better rock n roll singer than Lennon.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: April 7, 2015 13:11

stanlove
steffialicia
You know, just the other day I heard "You Can't do That.". I go way back obviously. What a great job John did but it's like comparing apples to oranges. Both great!!!

IF I ruled the world you would be banned from the internet for 10 years. Nothing gets older then people claiming its apples to oranges everytime a comparison is brought up. Really rating 2 rock singers who were around at the same time is apples and oranges? Nonesense it is.

I feel that within rock and and roll, there are still subtleties and differences, hence the comparison.

Date: April 7, 2015 15:46

Lennon and McCartney were/are great rock n' roll singers. Lennon shreds Twist and Shout, Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Bad Boy, Everybody's Got Something to Hide Accept Me and My Monkey, Revolution, and for blues I also forgot I Want You (She's So Heavy). All great vocals. But Jagger also has a keen knack and beauty for gospel rock along with blues. Let it Loose is probably his most brilliant performance. Stunning and sublime. So much of Exile is a tour de force for Jagger. And so many other songs where he is brilliant. Salt of the Earth, Sway, Gimme Shelter, Monkey Man. Love both Lennon and Jagger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-07 16:02 by whitem8.

Date: April 7, 2015 16:00

whitem8
Lennon and McCartney were/are great rock n' roll singers. Lennon shreds Twist and Shout, Dizzy Miss Lizzy, Bad Boy, Everybody's Got Something to Hide Accept Me and My Monkey, Revolution, and for blues I also forgot I Want You (She's So Heavy). All great vocals.

All great, I agree, especially "Monkey".

However, they aren't even remotely near the quality of his greatest vocal delivery, imo.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 7, 2015 16:20

Mick Jagger has the better rock'n'roll voice. Lennon did nothing great after the Beatles, Imagine is the most overrated song ever.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 7, 2015 16:34

Jagger had more RocknRoll versatility.
And although Lennon did some very good stuff his voice got on my nerves after some tunes.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1450
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home