Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 13 of 15
Re: Indianapolis IN USA Rolling Stones 2015 show and travel info
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 3, 2015 03:06

Hey! I'm straight out of 1954. And I'm from Indy! Of course I haven't lived there in 30 years. Yes, there are reasons not to live there. I'm too old to stand the whole damn time, and yes, Lucas Oil Field seems like a much better venue for this. And you could shoot the damn fireworks out the open roof. Sit the Stones in the middle and pack in 60,000. Oh well, I have a feeling this was sold to them and hey, it looked like a good idea on paper.

If you're hanging around downtown, Shapiro's deli is a nice place to eat. If you're hankering for a steak, St. Elmo's. If you're looking for a classic blues bar, The Slippery Noodle fits the bill. I'd love to be there for this, but only from a comfortable seat. I hope Indy comes out in big numbers and makes this the jewel of the tour.

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: July 3, 2015 03:23

sundevil
First, there will not be 100,000 people in attendance. Stop promoting hype! Second, seats are for old people and I'm 59 and I understand rock n roll is not seats!

what the hell are you talking about. i had the pure misfortune of living there for five years. indy never does anything right. straight up church lady A-holes. the entire town has a massive inferiority complex.

for crowd size just going by what too many others have said, 100,000. those gold and silver fence placements point to the biggest crowd of the tour. wanted to be parked no later than 2:00 pm and be in the venue as soon as doors open. a blanket does not make concrete soft. last time i did the stadium no seats thing was in 1978, and it was a pain then, too.

all i want is a nice, comfortable show, not eight plus hours of one pain in the ass hassle after another while having to deal with people straight out of 1954.

BUY A VIP TICKET AND WALK IN 30 MINUTES BEFORE SHOWTIME.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 3, 2015 03:30

When was the last concert this size at that Speedway?

Posted by: relms ()
Date: July 3, 2015 03:34

Buy a VIP ticket and stroll in 15 minutes before showtime

Posted by: dhinkle555 ()
Date: July 3, 2015 03:54

I believe they have at least 50,000 for the carb day concerts the Friday before the Indy 500, those are also standing room only in a different part of the infield.

Date: July 3, 2015 03:58

From the residents of Indianapolis I spoke with this week, most all are going downtown for their festivities and fireworks and will steer clear of the racetrack. They can see the band 'Satisfaction' downtown...

Posted by: TiminIndy ()
Date: July 3, 2015 04:34

I've lived here 49 years and I have always liked it. Indy knows how to put on and organize large scale events. We have 99 successful Indy 500's, 7 successful Final Fours, and one great Super Bowl under our belt. I'm not thrilled on where they chose to put the concert, but I'm sure we will make the best of it. My biggest issue with the layout other than all of the asphalt is that huge platform on the left side. If you need to have such a big obstruction, why not put it on the right side (stage left) where it would obstruct asphalt area?

Also, I thought they would open the infield parking area for tailgating earlier, then open the ticketed venue areas later. I don't see how they can not open the parking lots until 4 pm and that's when the ticketed area opens also.

No matter what happens, it will still be great, because the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World will be playing. I guess the crowd will be 60-65K, which is fine with me.

Fans should get to see two fireworks shows: during the show, you should be able to see the fireworks launched from the top of the Regions Bank building downtown, then the IMS show after the concert.

For a great atmosphere little jazz bar downtown, the Chatterbox is cool too. The Stones actually showed up there after the concert in 1989 and played an impromptu set with the band that was playing that night. The Slippery Noodle blues joint is bigger and has 2 bands playing most nights. Established in 1850, it is the oldest bar in the state.

I'm a fleabit peanut monkey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-03 04:35 by TiminIndy.

Date: July 3, 2015 04:54

TiminIndy
I've lived here 49 years and I have always liked it. Indy knows how to put on and organize large scale events. We have 99 successful Indy 500's, 7 successful Final Fours, and one great Super Bowl under our belt. I'm not thrilled on where they chose to put the concert, but I'm sure we will make the best of it. My biggest issue with the layout other than all of the asphalt is that huge platform on the left side. If you need to have such a big obstruction, why not put it on the right side (stage left) where it would obstruct asphalt area?

Also, I thought they would open the infield parking area for tailgating earlier, then open the ticketed venue areas later. I don't see how they can not open the parking lots until 4 pm and that's when the ticketed area opens also.

No matter what happens, it will still be great, because the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World will be playing. I guess the crowd will be 60-65K, which is fine with me.

Fans should get to see two fireworks shows: during the show, you should be able to see the fireworks launched from the top of the Regions Bank building downtown, then the IMS show after the concert.

For a great atmosphere little jazz bar downtown, the Chatterbox is cool too. The Stones actually showed up there after the concert in 1989 and played an impromptu set with the band that was playing that night. The Slippery Noodle blues joint is bigger and has 2 bands playing most nights. Established in 1850, it is the oldest bar in the state.

The comments here are out of normal with other years and we will see.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 3, 2015 05:04

jrcjohnny99
drbryant
You know, that "gold" area looks awfully big, if it extends to the twin lighting fixtures they've been using on the tour.

It really does, looks like the Gold area is about 175ft in depth, much bigger than I expected, and that would suggest they were expecting to sell about 10,000 Gold tix, which I can't believe they are anywhere near...I think there is going to be a LOT of space at the back of that section

This may be overly-cynical, but they have continued to sell Gold and VIP tickets, and it occurred to me that it might not be because they didn't sell out. Maybe they are just increasing the size of those sections. It's simple enough - just slide the barriers back a few more feet.

Posted by: tweedamp3 ()
Date: July 3, 2015 06:27

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-03 06:28 by tweedamp3.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 3, 2015 06:35

Sadly, Indy has not sold well the last couple of times. Would be surprised if they get more than 45k....same for Detroit and Buffalo(an embarrassment in 97 with like only 26k people!!!!).

Date: July 3, 2015 06:38

Buffalo will do well. Close to Toronto and NYC/Philly/Boston/Albany etc

Date: July 3, 2015 06:49

DREAMTIME
The size of the VIP area did not and will not change. The A list is not coming to Indiana because of the politics. It is the most popular american vacation week and people will be else where. More room for me! No worries, Just Go!

I was all set, in fact my flight for Chicago leaves in 4 hours. But I just got a telephone call with a weekend assignment - I have about an hour to decide what to do. Damn.

Date: July 3, 2015 06:53

I'm taking the train at 6am after the show to Chicago for the final Dead show.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 3, 2015 06:53

Please do NOT use this thread for political statements. They will lead to endless discussions, they will waste my time because I will detele any such post, and I will be pissed of and delete access to those who waste my time this way.

Bjornulf

Date: July 3, 2015 07:03

bv, we were not making political statements, we were talking about ticket sales. nobody was having a problem here. did you get a complaint?

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: July 3, 2015 08:08

drbryant
jrcjohnny99
drbryant
You know, that "gold" area looks awfully big, if it extends to the twin lighting fixtures they've been using on the tour.

It really does, looks like the Gold area is about 175ft in depth, much bigger than I expected, and that would suggest they were expecting to sell about 10,000 Gold tix, which I can't believe they are anywhere near...I think there is going to be a LOT of space at the back of that section

This may be overly-cynical, but they have continued to sell Gold and VIP tickets, and it occurred to me that it might not be because they didn't sell out. Maybe they are just increasing the size of those sections. It's simple enough - just slide the barriers back a few more feet.

There's no way they've sold 10,000 gold tickets; and they are still selling tix in all sections, not just gold.
Interestingly, the comps going to radio stations are almost all bronze tix....
On a side note, contrary to some of the above posts, Indy is actually one of the nicest cities in the Mid-West; a lot nicer than St Louis, KC, Cleveland, Detroit, Columbus or Cincinnati.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 3, 2015 08:44

Indy is a very pleasant city to visit. I have stayed in the downtown area many
times.

Date: July 3, 2015 10:38

Indy is a nice city, and I grew up there like an all-American boy. I still have life long friends there. The problem is when you're a city boy and Indy seems a bit constricting. I lived in Atlanta for a couple years when I was a teenager and I needed to live in a big city from then on. Now I live in Los Angeles, and it's too damn big to get bored with. But I return to Indy when I can, and I have to slow things down, but that's kind of nice. I hope this concert has all the magic about it that it should have, and I'm happy that Indy is getting the biggest concert of the tour.

"....and I long for my Indiana home."

Date: July 3, 2015 13:04

mnewman505
I'm staying as far away from this one as possible, this has disaster ala Texas Motor Speedway 1997 written all over it.

Mission Control, we are going in Gate 7. Wish us luck. We will make it fun.

Posted by: relms ()
Date: July 3, 2015 13:06

shattered
mnewman505
I'm staying as far away from this one as possible, this has disaster ala Texas Motor Speedway 1997 written all over it.

Mission Control, we are going in Gate 7. Wish us luck. We will make it fun.

Good Lucksmileys with beer

Posted by: jboug44 ()
Date: July 3, 2015 15:52

sundevil
what the hell are you talking about. i had the pure misfortune of living there for five years. indy never does anything right. straight up church lady A-holes. the entire town has a massive inferiority complex.

That's weird. I currently live here and if we do nothing right, then why did everyone think we were one of if not the best super bowl host of all time. Why does the NCAA keep having final fours and the big ten championship here? Don't let some dumb politics and their decisions sway your decision on our amazing and growing city.

Posted by: jboug44 ()
Date: July 3, 2015 16:03

Politics and other stupid things aside. I'm only 28 years old. I've never seen the stones in person and honestly it almost got to the point I never thought I would. My girlfriend and I were ecstatic when we saw Indy was getting a concert. To be honest it kinda stinks seeing the negative Nancy's and such on here and around town. I just hope the fellow concert goers around us are just as happy to see the greatest band of all time regardless of what the situation is at IMS. So to those of you going, have a great independence day weekend and I can't wait to rock with you all.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: July 3, 2015 16:22

jboug44
Politics and other stupid things aside. I'm only 28 years old. I've never seen the stones in person and honestly it almost got to the point I never thought I would. My girlfriend and I were ecstatic when we saw Indy was getting a concert. To be honest it kinda stinks seeing the negative Nancy's and such on here and around town. I just hope the fellow concert goers around us are just as happy to see the greatest band of all time regardless of what the situation is at IMS. So to those of you going, have a great independence day weekend and I can't wait to rock with you all.

Amen brother! When I wasn't able to see the Stones in Chicago in 2013 I thought I let my last chance to see them slip by. When the rumors about this show started, I knew I wasn't going to let this one slip by me. I'm all the way back in the Bronze section and I'm STILL going to have a great time.

Indy is always a great place to visit. Very clean and the people are always nice. I prefer Deer Creek (or what ever they call it now) over Tinley Park and Alpine Valley for concerts. Speaking of those three venues, why is GA such a big deal to people? Most of the concerts I see are GA. I've ner seen a bad GA concert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-03 16:22 by TumblinDice76.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: July 3, 2015 16:34

drbryant

Good catch. I think you are absolutely correct.

Posted by: FLDEALS ()
Date: July 3, 2015 16:44

The Rolling Stones Indy car is in the aiport. I also saw the Stones plane out in the airfield.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-03 16:49 by FLDEALS.

Date: July 3, 2015 19:07

jboug44

That is why this is perfect for you. Some of us old farts are jaded. I've gone to see Brian Wilson a couple times lately and it's thrilling to hear 'those' songs. I hope you, your girlfriend, and every person there has a wonderful time. I hope it reflects well on Indy and I hope the fireworks are incredible.

Date: July 3, 2015 19:29

Well, I decided to cancel. Good news is that damage was minimal - $240 cancellation fee for the air ticket and $75 for that silly preferred parking. Gave the ticket to an old friend, assuming they'll allow her to pick it up at will call. I'll get some work done, watch the periscope feeds and listen to my new Sticky Fingers vinyl 2LP that arrived today (in the original Spanish jacket!). Not quite the weekend I was hoping for but not bad.

Posted by: fulldevilhakysac ()
Date: July 3, 2015 19:47

Any idea if the merch trucks will be outside today or early tomorrow?

Posted by: tweedamp3 ()
Date: July 3, 2015 20:37

they have been open the day before in other cites perhaps in the late afternoon?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 13 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2084
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home