Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...147148149150151152153154155156157...LastNext
Current Page: 152 of 308
Re: possibilities of bringing m taylor back into the group next year
Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: July 13, 2015 10:01

Testify
stone4ever
Olly
stone4ever

but woods guitar has no identity

I disagree. Wood's guitar playing has a different identity to Taylor's, certainly.

wood ruined the stones for over 30 years with terrible efforts

how did he get away with it

outrageous
I'm a big fan of Ronnie, if your sentence is referring to some of his performances, I can agree, if it is related to his career in the Stones I can not agree. Ronnie was crushed in some periods by Keith and his addiction to alcohol and drugs did the rest, but @#$%& how can you argue that the Paradise of amsterdam such did not sound right? [www.youtube.com]

i rest my case

if he can play that well (and he can) what was he playing at the rest of the time

Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 13, 2015 10:19

... Keith also had periods when he was not at the top, the same Taylor spent bad moments. During a career of 50 years it can happen.
Despite everything, however, Wood never missed a date and he has always done its job.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: July 13, 2015 11:46

swimtothemoon
I have not checked this thread in a long time so I apologize if this has already
Been discussed. My question is - has anyone heard what Mick Taylor is doing now?
Does he have any touring plans?

He's relaxing, update from a friend of Taylor, approx 14 days ago. No plans so far.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: July 13, 2015 12:01

From an interview with Charlie in the latest Mojo.

Interviewer - Will Mick Taylor be joining you again?

Charlie - Unfortunately,no.But he should have done
See,nobody listens to me!I said I thought he should come.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: July 14, 2015 02:03

I thought it would be useful to create a kind of directory of MT's shows with Carla Olson in the early 1990s, something to a) catalogue the recordings we already have available, b) work out which shows were and weren't recorded, and c) perhaps track down some of the recordings that we know exist but which have dropped out of circulation over the past couple of years. Although the Olsen shows are widely acknowledged as some of Taylor's best ever playing, it seems that there's still a lot we don't know about them, both in terms of the shows themselves and the resulting bootlegs.

I would really love to hear more of the stuff that's out there, and no doubt there's at least a few other people on IORR that'll be interested and able to contribute. Both Kleermaker and pmk251 know a bit about this to say the least, and TravelinMan was asking about one of the 1990 Roxy shows recently. I'm just going to focus on the live shows they did, but if anyone wants to add detail on the various studio sessions that would also be cool. I'll update this post with links to particular recordings, etc.

Dates and setlists culled from Nico Zentgraf's site. This interview with George Callins, Carla's rhythm guitarist, mentions other shows beyond the ones here, but these are the ones we definitely have some recordings of.

Part I - March 1990:

1st March: Huntington Beach, California

Setlist:
I Never Wanted To Try
Remember That Moon
Who Put The Sting On The Honeybee?
Slow Rollin' Train
Trying To Hold On
Rubies And Diamonds
See The Light
Broken Hands
Sway
You Can't Move In
Clean Cut Kid

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-14 11:26 by Stoneburst.

Date: July 14, 2015 02:05

Part II, March 1990 continued...

4th March: Los Angeles, California, The Roxy

Early show setlist:
I Never Wanted To Try
Remember That Moon
Who Put The Sting On The Honeybee?
Slow Rollin' Train
Trying To Hold On
Rubies and Diamonds
See The Light
You Can't Move In
Broken Hands
Sway
Silver Train
Midnight Mission
Clean Cut Kid
Rocks Off

Late show setlist (source for Live At The Roxy)

Same as the first show as far as Sway, after which:

You Gotta Move
Hartley Quits
Midnight Mission
Clean Cut Kid
Silver Train

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-14 12:22 by Stoneburst.

Date: July 14, 2015 02:06

Part III, September/October 1991

21st September: Los Angeles, California, The Palomino

Setlist is unknown, but the well known video of Sway is from this show.

Shows at the Belly Up and at the Anaconda in Santa Barbara in late September and/or early October, dates unknown. According to pmk251, the Anaconda show may have been recorded but no tape has ever surfaced.

11th October: San Francisco, Slim's

According to this thread, the only songs recorded were part of the Sway solo (here), You Can't Move In, Running Back and Rescue Fantasy.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-14 12:25 by Stoneburst.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 14, 2015 14:39

Stoneburst, I'll check what I have later. Thanks for your research on this topic!

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 14, 2015 16:50

[www.iorr.org]

Maybe some people in this thread can help us out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-14 16:50 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 14, 2015 19:00

Nice post Stoneburst. It's hard to imagine more recordings haven't surfaced since taping was so prevalent during that period. Hopefully they will.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 14, 2015 19:33

LuxuryStones
swimtothemoon
I have not checked this thread in a long time so I apologize if this has already
Been discussed. My question is - has anyone heard what Mick Taylor is doing now?
Does he have any touring plans?

He's relaxing, update from a friend of Taylor, approx 14 days ago. No plans so far.

Just like me...he could try Croatia,wonderful country and lovely people.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 14, 2015 19:41

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
anything's possible, but if there's been any bad blood that's been generated by his uninviting on this leg, I'd say chances are slim.

Anything is not possible. That means the Stones could cure cancer or stop hurricanes or improve the colour of water and on and on and on.

wouldn't you feel like a tool if they announced tomorrow that they found a link to the remission of bowel cancer when dancing to Emotional Rescue.

I'd gladly feel like a tool... if they found a cure and to not have it go into remission.

Date: July 14, 2015 19:42

Munichhilton
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
anything's possible, but if there's been any bad blood that's been generated by his uninviting on this leg, I'd say chances are slim.

Anything is not possible. That means the Stones could cure cancer or stop hurricanes or improve the colour of water and on and on and on.

You take the Stones pretty damn seriously skippy

Some days I do...

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 14, 2015 19:43

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers

wouldn't you feel like a tool if they announced tomorrow that they found a link to the remission of bowel cancer when dancing to Emotional Rescue.

I'd gladly feel like a tool... if they found a cure and to not have it go into remission.

what if they found a better color water as part of the New Horizons mission to Pluto?
[www.nasa.gov]

Date: July 14, 2015 19:45

35love
Jesus H Christ (saying reverently)

PLUNDERED MY SOUL

I missed this! I have listened to Exile more times than it's been sold.

Thanks to reading GasLightStreet quick mention,

immediate download transported to happiness. It's freakin' gorgeous.

Off to feign exercise to be alone from fam to listen over over while walking.

What Else Did I Miss off Exile re-release vault type missed off original?!

THANK YOU!

I'm Not Signifying is beyond awesome. It's the best thing they've ever done, really, regarding a blues. New Orleans style horns... just killer.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 14, 2015 21:59

Naturalust
Nice post Stoneburst. It's hard to imagine more recordings haven't surfaced since taping was so prevalent during that period. Hopefully they will.

My impression is that there's a lot more out there than we currently have available, hence why I think some sort of directory is a good idea (and Kleerie, thanks for looking into this!) Nico Zentgraf's site is an amazing resource in itself, but provides very little information on the recordings in circulation.

Basically, to recap, MT and Carla Olson played somewhere between eight and eleven shows throughout 1990 and 1991. In addition to the ones mentioned above, there were between one and two other March 1990 shows in the LA area, and according to that George Callins interview there may have been as many as three Palomino shows in September 1991. Now, based on what we already have available and what's been traded and discussed on IORR over the years, I reckon five of these shows are of interest in one way or another:

1) Huntington Beach, 3/1/90. An audience recording of this show circulated on IORR as recently as 2011 (see here), but the download links are long dead. Sway is on Kleermaker's YouTube channel.
2) Roxy early show, 3/4/90. This is basically the one we all want to hear, not least because it's a soundboard and they do Rocks Off at the end. As per TravlinMan's post above, OpenG circulated it on IORR back in 2006 (link here). The soundboard version of Rubies And Diamonds on Kleerie's channel is presumably from this show, and I'm absolutely sure someone on IORR, perhaps Smokey or pmk251, said at one point that Carla Olson has considered releasing it a few times (I can't find this thread now, but someone will remember it).
3) Palomino, possibly 3/21/91. There is a scratchy audience video of one of the Palomino shows. So far only Sway has surfaced on YouTube, but there could be more.
4) Santa Barbara, September or October 1991. NZ gives the venue as the Anaconda. I think this is the show pmk251 has referred to several times over the years where they turn up to play at a dive bar that's going out of business, MT doesn't want to do it, Olson talks him round, and he plays his ass off, with the audience demanding a series of encores. pmk251 says that a guy in the audience was seen taping the show, but that the recording has yet to surface. Hope springs eternal, I guess...
5) Slim's, 10/11/91. This is another one we know about mostly thanks to pmk251, whose friend meant to tape the show but forgot to turn his recorder on until the beginning of the Sway solo. Again, this is on Kleerie's channel as 'Sway solo II'. I've not heard the rest of the tape, but perhaps others have?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-14 22:43 by Stoneburst.

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: July 15, 2015 17:32

Stoneburst
Naturalust

My impression is that there's a lot more out there than we currently have available, hence why I think some sort of directory is a good idea (and Kleerie, thanks for looking into this!) Nico Zentgraf's site is an amazing resource in itself, but provides very little information on the recordings in circulation.

Basically, to recap, MT and Carla Olson played somewhere between eight and eleven shows throughout 1990 and 1991. In addition to the ones mentioned above, there were between one and two other March 1990 shows in the LA area, and according to that George Callins interview there may have been as many as three Palomino shows in September 1991. Now, based on what we already have available and what's been traded and discussed on IORR over the years, I reckon five of these shows are of interest in one way or another:

1) Huntington Beach, 3/1/90. An audience recording of this show circulated on IORR as recently as 2011 (see here), but the download links are long dead. Sway is on Kleermaker's YouTube channel.
2) Roxy early show, 3/4/90. This is basically the one we all want to hear, not least because it's a soundboard and they do Rocks Off at the end. As per TravlinMan's post above, OpenG circulated it on IORR back in 2006 (link here). The soundboard version of Rubies And Diamonds on Kleerie's channel is presumably from this show, and I'm absolutely sure someone on IORR, perhaps Smokey or pmk251, said at one point that Carla Olson has considered releasing it a few times (I can't find this thread now, but someone will remember it).
3) Palomino, possibly 3/21/91. There is a scratchy audience video of one of the Palomino shows. So far only Sway has surfaced on YouTube, but there could be more.
4) Santa Barbara, September or October 1991. NZ gives the venue as the Anaconda. I think this is the show pmk251 has referred to several times over the years where they turn up to play at a dive bar that's going out of business, MT doesn't want to do it, Olson talks him round, and he plays his ass off, with the audience demanding a series of encores. pmk251 says that a guy in the audience was seen taping the show, but that the recording has yet to surface. Hope springs eternal, I guess...
5) Slim's, 10/11/91. This is another one we know about mostly thanks to pmk251, whose friend meant to tape the show but forgot to turn his recorder on until the beginning of the Sway solo. Again, this is on Kleerie's channel as 'Sway solo II'. I've not heard the rest of the tape, but perhaps others have?

For all those interested, I've re-uploaded all that's available...head over to the "Hot Stuff" section...thanks a lot to the tapers and the original uploaders.
CrazyMama

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 15, 2015 17:48

bonddm

Charlie should get whatever he wishes. I had always assumed he we given a final word. This quote says he was out voted by the other 3 including MT's "mate" RW.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 15, 2015 17:51

Norbert
Stoneburst
Naturalust

For all those interested, I've re-uploaded all that's available...head over to the "Hot Stuff" section...thanks a lot to the tapers and the original uploaders.
CrazyMama

Danke schön Norbert! Great post at the Hot Stuff section.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: July 15, 2015 17:56

DoomandGloom
bonddm

Charlie should get whatever he wishes. I had always assumed he we given a final word. This quote says he was out voted by the other 3 including MT's "mate" RW.
No it does not say that at all.

Date: July 15, 2015 18:58

Ket
DoomandGloom
bonddm

agreed. while more forthcoming than the stones charlie still knows his PR well enough to be oblique enough so that nothing is compromised as far as info they don't want us to know.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 15, 2015 19:11

Norbert
Stoneburst
Naturalust

CrazyMama

Thank you!!!

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: July 15, 2015 19:15

GasLightStreet

I'm Not Signifying is beyond awesome. It's the best thing they've ever done, really, regarding a blues. New Orleans style horns... just killer.

[www.youtube.com]

I love that song. And Good Time Women. Both great Stones songs with amazing contributions by Taylor.

-R

Date: July 15, 2015 19:16

Ket
DoomandGloom
bonddm

I've always had the impression that one guy called the shot on this, and the rest (even though they didn't like it) didn't feel like it was worth the fight. Just my feeling. Could be way off.

-R

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-15 19:19 by Reagan.

Date: July 15, 2015 19:18

Reagan
Ket
DoomandGloom
bonddm

I've always had the impression that one guy called the shot on this, and the rest didn't feel like it was worth the fight. Just my feeling. Could be way off.

-R

there could be many reasons. they could have started negotiations and had it fall through for some reason - pay, legal points, insurance, etc.
it's unlikely we'll ever know because it's rarely in the interest of either side to talk about the details of such negotiations (and often before beginning negotiations both sides have to sign an agreement to never discuss the negotiations themselves.)

Date: July 15, 2015 19:20

Turner68
Reagan
Ket
DoomandGloom
bonddm

I've always had the impression that one guy called the shot on this, and the rest didn't feel like it was worth the fight. Just my feeling. Could be way off.

-R

there could be many reasons. they could have started negotiations and had it fall through for some reason - pay, legal points, insurance, etc.
it's unlikely we'll ever know because it's rarely in the interest of either side to talk about the details of such negotiations (and often before beginning negotiations both sides have to sign an agreement to never discuss the negotiations themselves.)

You're right. We'll probably never know - this side of glory.

Posted by: lphz ()
Date: July 15, 2015 22:25

Whenever you guys start this sort of chat, I amble over to the MT Facebook page to see if he has anything to say on the topic. Here are his comments from today:

Dion Akers Sr Did the Stones give u a Reason why u weren't invited on the Zip Code Tour Mick Taylor.
3 hrs

Mick Taylor I was told they wanted to do something 'more creative'.
2 hrs

View more replies

Detlef Mönnich MICK WHY YOU NOT WITH THE LAST STONES TOUR?
6 hrs

Mick Taylor You should ask them. I don't have the answer to that question.

"More creative" - priceless.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: July 15, 2015 22:43

Okay...I'm in Quebec City and I'm seeing this show...but I'm still royally ticked off that MT is not a part of this. This tour could have been one for the ages...memorable...they blew it because good as this tour is it will soon fade quickly as memory. I'll still have a good time....but....

Date: July 16, 2015 00:14

Norbert
Stoneburst
Naturalust

CrazyMama

Norbert, thank you so much! Downloading Roxy 1 now.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: July 16, 2015 00:23

lphz
Whenever you guys start this sort of chat, I amble over to the MT Facebook page to see if he has anything to say on the topic. Here are his comments from today:

Dion Akers Sr Did the Stones give u a Reason why u weren't invited on the Zip Code Tour Mick Taylor.
3 hrs

Mick Taylor I was told they wanted to do something 'more creative'.
2 hrs

View more replies

Detlef Mönnich MICK WHY YOU NOT WITH THE LAST STONES TOUR?
6 hrs

Mick Taylor You should ask them. I don't have the answer to that question.

"More creative" - priceless.

That's not Taylor, unless he's being brainwashed.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...147148149150151152153154155156157...LastNext
Current Page: 152 of 308

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2072
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home