Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: Keith on his favorite Bowie song
Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: March 7, 2015 20:02

ryanpow
That's one of my favorite Smiths songs.

smileys with beer

Mine are:

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 7, 2015 20:53

Mine are: .

Date: March 7, 2015 20:58

I feel sorry for you.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 7, 2015 21:17

RomanCandle
Its really amazing how many of the French composers have been gay, bi, or just feminine. eye popping smiley

France is the gayest country on Earth, IMO.

you're flaming out RomanCandle.

Date: March 7, 2015 21:24

what does flaming out mean ffs

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 8, 2015 03:47

whitem8
gaslight that is wrong. In the US fag became a very derogatory reference to gays. Along with faggot, it is a very offensive word to gays.

I live in the USA.

Indeed it is a derogatory reference to gays...

but, also, I will agree with what others have written or suggested as well. We're not making this stuff up. It does get used now (as does the word "gay" ) at times, without specific allusions to any actual sexual preference in context of usage. Gay=lame and fag=generic insult for shorthand. I won't dispute anyone taking offense anyway due to the negative association of the terms, but I can't pretend either that there aren't many people using this language that may be thoughtless, indifferent, ignorant, shallow, and whatever else, but may in fact not be horrible bigots in any way. Language changes....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-08 03:48 by SweetThing.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 8, 2015 04:23

Sweetthing that is the remaining issue. The fact "gay" and "fag" are still associated with homosexuality, and now being used as a general term for "lame", "stupid", which gives the message, especially to young gays who may be around people who use these terms, that they are also by transference lesser people because they are "lame", "stupid" and marginalized. When ever I hear that term being used by pre-teens and teens I stop it and correct them.

Date: March 8, 2015 13:41

Where I live, the words "pédé" (fag) or "gouine" (dyke) are often used by homosexual teenagers in an ironic way or as a joke. I guess in the US you also have to say "African American" instead of "black" as a noun, even though not all blacks who live in the US are African-Americans. Besides that, in 2020, the Census bureau will still want to know your race based upon meaningless categories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-08 14:22 by RomanCandle.

Date: March 8, 2015 15:44

RomanCandle
Where I live, the words "pédé" (fag) or "gouine" (dyke) are often used by homosexual teenagers in an ironic way or as a joke. I guess in the US you also have to say "African American" instead of "black" as a noun, even though not all blacks who live in the US are African-Americans. Besides that, in 2020, the Census bureau will still want to know your race based upon meaningless categories.

the thing is, in USA blacks will refer to themselves with the n-word. Self deprecating and ironic as you've pointed out.

However that isn't to imply that if you don't fit within that genre the terminology is acceptable. So, there is a difference depending on who is saying it.

Date: March 8, 2015 17:27

RomanCandle

oh dear lord if I have to explain it, it completely loses the timing.

Really, anyone, can someone explain what my reference to a RomanCandle 'flaming out' might mean?

I have no time for this...I need to make myself another cup of coffee, can't believe I lost an hour of sleep last night!

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 8, 2015 17:29

whitem8
. When ever I hear that term being used by pre-teens and teens I stop it and correct them.

I would love to hear more about this. Hopefully you are a teacher of something. Don't tell me you are stopping teens you don't know to preach to them about what they should and should not say.

Date: March 8, 2015 22:05

stanlove
whitem8
. When ever I hear that term being used by pre-teens and teens I stop it and correct them.

I would love to hear more about this. Hopefully you are a teacher of something. Don't tell me you are stopping teens you don't know to preach to them about what they should and should not say.

We don't agree on a lot Stan, but that was funny.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 9, 2015 16:03

treaclefingers
RomanCandle

Really, anyone, can someone explain what my reference to a RomanCandle 'flaming out' might mean?

I have no time for this...I need to make myself another cup of coffee, can't believe I lost an hour of sleep last night!

careful..

you're playing with fire..

Date: March 9, 2015 16:33

duke richardson
treaclefingers
RomanCandle

careful..

you're playing with fire..

well, I do have my diamonds and my pretty clothes.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 9, 2015 17:06

sinking in the quicksand of my thought...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-09 17:07 by whitem8.

Date: March 9, 2015 17:28

whitem8

think of it as immersing yourself in thoughtfulness..

Date: March 9, 2015 18:18

duke richardson
whitem8

...or diving into a rather shallow pool.

OK, that was unnecessarily nasty and please don't take it personally.

I can't resist low hanging fruit. (that's what she said).

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 9, 2015 18:24

treaclefingers
RomanCandle

the thing is, in USA blacks will refer to themselves with the n-word. Self deprecating and ironic as you've pointed out.

However that isn't to imply that if you don't fit within that genre the terminology is acceptable. So, there is a difference depending on who is saying it.

Yes there is a big difference.
Like in Pulp Fiction how Samuel Jackson is talking to John Travolta a couple of times: "Say what nigger?"
I like people making jokes like that with each other. When they know each other very well. And appreciate each other very well.

When they don't know each other or don't know everyone on a forum like this and say things like Come On said with "If I were to mention some tough androgynous artists from the early seventies, so may it be Marc Bolan, David Bowie, David Johansen and Steve Harley. The rest is fags for real." that makes me feel very uncomfortable.
It doesn't have anything to do with translation or age. That's bs.
What he means is there might be tough androgynous people but the people in his last category are not tough. He suggests they are weak or not 100% or something like that.

We all understand we should not accept people talking about Darryl Jones using words like Samuel Jackson did when talking to Travolta.
If we understand that we also should not call gay or androgynous people names the way Come On did. We just should not accept that.

Date: March 9, 2015 19:44

treaclefingers
duke richardson
whitem8

...or diving into a rather shallow pool.

OK, that was unnecessarily nasty and please don't take it personally.

I can't resist low hanging fruit. (that's what she said).

here's nasty..

smiling smiley

Date: March 9, 2015 20:20

Dreamer
treaclefingers
RomanCandle

Like in Pulp Fiction how Samuel Jackson is talking to John Travolta a couple of times: "Say what nigger?"
I like people making jokes like that with each other. When they know each other very well. And appreciate each other very well.

When they don't know each other or don't know everyone on a forum like this and say things like Come On said with "If I were to mention some tough androgynous artists from the early seventies, so may it be Marc Bolan, David Bowie, David Johansen and Steve Harley. The rest is fags for real." that makes me feel very uncomfortable.
What he means is there might be tough androgynous people but the people in his last category are not tough. He suggests they are weak or not 100% or something like that.

We all understand we should not accept people talking about Darryl Jones using words like Samuel Jackson did when talking to Travolta.
If we understand that we also should not call gay or androgynous people names the way Come On did. We just should not accept that.

thumbs up

Date: March 9, 2015 20:42

I also agree totally with Dreamer. At the same time I'm 110% sure Come On didn't mean to offend. Not by using that word, and certainly not by indicating that gay people are inferor in any way.

Dismissing that in this case as "BS" is short-sighted, imo.

You're not a native speaker yourself, Dreamer. Time and again there might be coming some non-chalant remarks from your end as well - also linguistic ones.

I've seen this happen before here on IORR, with what we might call "veteran posters" - causing nothing more than a light breeze in a teacup. They said "sorry", like Come On did, and then we moved on without the guillotine.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: March 9, 2015 21:40

treaclefingers
Dreamer
treaclefingers
RomanCandle

thumbs up

Oh yeah, in America that's big, especially with younger people. Where I work (at a college) this is a factor. There's even a certain way to spell the word (as the 'rap-artist' Nicki Minaj has). There's big distinctions, so I never bother getting involved.

Date: March 9, 2015 22:12

DandelionPowderman
I also agree totally with Dreamer. At the same time I'm 110% sure Come On didn't mean to offend. Not by using that word, and certainly not by indicating that gay people are inferor in any way.

Dismissing that in this case as "BS" is short-sighted, imo.

You're not a native speaker yourself, Dreamer. Time and again there might be coming some non-chalant remarks from your end as well - also linguistic ones.

I've seen this happen before here on IORR, with what we might call "veteran posters" - causing nothing more than a light breeze in a teacup. They said "sorry", like Come On did, and then we moved on without the guillotine.

you are correct, Come On is a very nice chap.

Date: March 9, 2015 22:33

He did not mean to hurt anyone so what is the point of pillorying him for using the word "fags"? I don't get why people are offended by a single word.

Date: March 9, 2015 22:49

Well, the word is offensive, simply because people are offended by it. Everyone should respect that.

But if one doesn't know if it is offensive, it would be pointless to do or say anything other than educative things, imo.

Date: March 9, 2015 22:50

RomanCandle
I don't get why people are offended by a single word.

Perhaps you need to get out more?

Date: March 9, 2015 23:44

Every word is potentially offensive, e.g."MORON"... Anyways two wrongs do not make a right but Come On did not mean to hurt anyone and he DID APOLOGIZE ffs.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1995
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home