Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Evolution of guitar sound from 72 trough 73
Posted by: guezeg ()
Date: February 10, 2015 14:16

Hi all,

I've been listening closely to the differences in the sounds of the band on the US tour 72, Pacific tour 73 and European 73. The evolution is obvious but I don't know what it is due to :
- Keith's guitar : in Australia, the sound is harsher than in 1972 and in Europe, he the sound is fatter and louder.
- Mick Taylor's guitar : I can't hear much difference between 1972 and early 1973, but in Europe, his sound is like a syrup all over the rest of the band.

Do you hear the same thing ? Is it due to the guitars ? The amps ? Or the recordings ?

Thanks

Re: Evolution of guitar sound from 72 trough 73
Date: February 10, 2015 14:42

They still had Ampeg amps, but seemingly they both used more distortion on the 73 tour. And Keith even increased that a bit on the 75 tour.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: February 10, 2015 14:56

Maybe I'm crazy, but I prefer the 1972's sound to the 1973 one.

Date: February 10, 2015 15:06

pepganzo

I'm a bit on the fence here, but I think I agree. In 1973, the sound was heading a little too much toward classic rock.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: February 10, 2015 15:10

DandelionPowderman
They still had Ampeg amps, but seemingly they both used more distortion on the 73 tour. And Keith even increased that a bit on the 75 tour.

Keith's sound was injected with more Phaser in 1975 and 1976. A little bit too much...

Date: February 10, 2015 15:13

DiamondDog7
DandelionPowderman

Keith's sound was injected with more Phaser in 1975 and 1976. A little bit too much...

Only on a very few songs. If you take songs like HTW, MR, RTJ, Happy, Heartbreaker, All Down The Line and Star Star you can really hear the difference.

He used the MXR on GS, WH, Angie and possibly one other track.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 10, 2015 15:40

Here's two guys that also really had a killer-sound 1973:

Frank Zappa in Stockholm with Billy Preston, and Johnny Winter

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: February 10, 2015 16:11

DandelionPowderman
pepganzo

I'm a bit on the fence here, but I think I agree. In 1973, the sound was heading a little too much toward classic rock.

That's my opinion too. The '73 sound was really cool, and I love the variation it gives compared to '72, but yes, "classic rock" is a good way to describe that distorted '70s humbucker tone. All that's missing really is Marshall amps for it to be a very typical '70s rock sound. '72 had more dynamics and nuances to it.

The Australia/NZ '73 sound is a little curious. The soundboards are very dry sounding and quite trebly, which may contribute to that raw distorted sound. But the audience recordings kinda show the same sound. They played with slightly different instruments compared to '72, and mostly outdoors, which probably gave a bit of a different vibe.

Overall, I think the Stones followed the overall trend going from pretty heavy bluesy tone around '69, to a harsher more distorted sound towards the mid-70s. Same with hard rock bands like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. Of course, later in the 70s, they all moved towards a punkier new wavish rockabilly vibe with lots of Fender guitars.

Date: February 10, 2015 16:16

LieB
DandelionPowderman
pepganzo

That's my opinion too. The '73 sound was really cool, and I love the variation it gives compared to '72, but yes, "classic rock" is a good way to describe that distorted '70s humbucker tone. All that's missing really is Marshall amps for it to be a very typical '70s rock sound. '72 had more dynamics and nuances to it.

The Australia/NZ '73 sound is a little curious. The soundboards are very dry sounding and quite trebly, which may contribute to that raw distorted sound. But the audience recordings kinda show the same sound. They played with slightly different instruments compared to '72, and mostly outdoors, which probably gave a bit of a different vibe.

Overall, I think the Stones followed the overall trend going from pretty heavy bluesy tone around '69, to a harsher more distorted sound towards the mid-70s. Same with hard rock bands like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. Of course, later in the 70s, they all moved towards a punkier new wavish rockabilly vibe with lots of Fender guitars.

Very nicely summed up thumbs up

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 10, 2015 16:21

Come On

That's not Billy Preston.

Mathijs

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: February 10, 2015 16:35

Come On

Winter was fantastic also here not only in 1973.
1976 was his year!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-10 16:36 by pepganzo.

Posted by: guezeg ()
Date: February 10, 2015 16:36

Thanks for your answers !

Regarding Mick Taylor's sound, was it also distortion that produced his heavier and denser sound ?

Date: February 10, 2015 16:40

guezeg
Thanks for your answers !

Regarding Mick Taylor's sound, was it also distortion that produced his heavier and denser sound ?

I would say his sound got more "wet" and soft (compared to SCB on Ya Yas, for instance), but, yes, more distorted.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 10, 2015 18:35

DandelionPowderman

A bit? smoking smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 10, 2015 19:27

Never was a huge fan of the sound of these tours until the release of the official Brussells. Gotta admit it was not that bad after all!

Given that amps and guitars were basically the same, I assume that the EQing was different.

Just as a matter of curiosity, in those days was the sound processed before going into the amp (a part those few pedals that were used)?

C

Date: February 10, 2015 22:47

Taylor used pedals in 73.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 10, 2015 23:22

liddas
Never was a huge fan of the sound of these tours until the release of the official Brussells. Gotta admit it was not that bad after all!

Given that amps and guitars were basically the same, I assume that the EQing was different.

Just as a matter of curiosity, in those days was the sound processed before going into the amp (a part those few pedals that were used)?

C

In 1972 both Richards, Taylor and Wyman went straight to the amp -no pedals of any sorts, just a cable from guitar to amp. For 1973 that didn't change for Richards, but Taylor added a Colorsound fuzz-wah-swell on some shows, and a Vox Wah on other shows, and for some shows no pedal at all.

In the studio they started using various effects by late 1973: MXR phasers and EQ's, Colorsound fuzz-wah-swell and Octivider, EMS Synthi Hi-Fly, Wah's and tape delay's.

Mathijs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 10, 2015 23:36

The EMS Synthi Hi-Fli is something to behold! eye popping smiley

[www.guitarworld.com]

Date: February 10, 2015 23:36

Didn't both Keith and Taylor use the Hi-Fly on TWFNO? Or did Keith use it and Taylor the Octivider?

Date: February 11, 2015 01:16

Oh yeah, the famous bathroom scales!

Date: February 11, 2015 01:20

Mathijs
liddas

C

In 1972 both Richards, Taylor and Wyman went straight to the amp -no pedals of any sorts, just a cable from guitar to amp. For 1973 that didn't change for Richards, but Taylor added a Colorsound fuzz-wah-swell on some shows, and a Vox Wah on other shows, and for some shows no pedal at all.

In the studio they started using various effects by late 1973: MXR phasers and EQ's, Colorsound fuzz-wah-swell and Octivider, EMS Synthi Hi-Fly, Wah's and tape delay's.

Mathijs

I remember reading in Rolling Stone at the time that both Taylor and Keith were using "black box" pedals on the IORR sessions. Always wondered what those were...

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 11, 2015 02:18

the aussie/nz 1973 shows seem more "raw" and "rock" than both euro & US tours.
I prefer this sound.

US tour sounds a bit too "tinny" to me...

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: February 11, 2015 02:50

People are forgetting that it's more than just the amps and guitars, what type of microphones they were using to capture the amp sounds and what was done to that sound after that, was it always the same guy on the mixer, there are many variables but the most important thing is that you can't judge the sound off a $20 tape recorder that someone was recording the concert on, after all the early 70s was great for any hand held recording.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-11 02:51 by lapaz62.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 11, 2015 13:07

I love them all but I think Keiths sound on some songs in 1973 has a little too much treble (?). He had a fuller deeper sound in 1972 and I guess that has to do with the Ted Newman guitar? I also love his sounds in 1975-1977.

Date: February 11, 2015 13:10

Their Mesa Boogie-sound in 1977 was incredible.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 11, 2015 15:02

DandelionPowderman

whilst agreeing with your post dandie (yes great sound), you have a habit to infiltrate a simple discussion about the 72-73 tours (or taylor years for that matter) with your own personal favorite views from 75-78.

Lets keep posts relevant to the thread?

Date: February 11, 2015 15:24

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman

whilst agreeing with your post dandie (yes great sound), you have a habit to infiltrate a simple discussion about the 72-73 tours (or taylor years for that matter) with your own personal favorite views from 75-78.

Lets keep posts relevant to the thread?

Moi? Read the post I replied to! grinning smiley

I admit I'm guilty now and again, though...

PS: This is how this forum works sometimes. We discuss a topic, then a poster brings up another point, someone replies to it and there we go. Feel free to police it back on track anytime, pal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-11 15:25 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 11, 2015 15:51

Yeah, that happens all the time. Many threads have gone off topic way more than this one.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 19, 2015 18:45

I call it pollution when the 69 - 73 tour threads are interrupted by those mediocre later tours. Keep them to their own thread or start a new one if they don't exist yet, so I can skip them.

Date: February 20, 2015 06:15

DandelionPowderman

yep. But contrast with the other three sides of that record. I know many here like it, but I can't listen to anything other than side 3. The sound of the band is drastically better.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2185
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home