Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Evolution of guitar sound from 72 trough 73
Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: February 20, 2015 07:17

In his recent autobiography "The Universal Tone", Carlos Santana mentions that he used a Mesa/Boogie amp onstage when he jammed with the Stones in 1975 at MSG on Sympathy for the Devil. He says, "I'm not taking any credit for what happened after that night, but I will say that if anyone remembers the Stones' next tour in 1977, it was all Mesa/Boogie amps onstage."

Date: February 20, 2015 10:53

And here is the first drop of Boogie with the Stones:

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: February 20, 2015 11:02

roundnround
. . . if anyone remembers the Stones' next tour in 1977, . . ."

Unfortunately for him, we've all forgotten the tour of 1977 completely. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: February 20, 2015 11:06

LieB
roundnround
. . . if anyone remembers the Stones' next tour in 1977, . . ."

Unfortunately for him, we've all forgotten the tour of 1977 completely. tongue sticking out smiley

Two shows winking smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 20, 2015 12:38

DandelionPowderman

Well, maybe not.

Boogie's where already present during recording of Woods 'I've Got My Own Album To Do' through Pete Townsend and George Harrison. Then during rehearsals in Rotterdam 1975 a load of new gear was tried and tested, like Travis Bean guitars and basses, and most likely a first Boogie. The guitar sound of Slave very much sounds like a Boogie (but that could also have been done in 1981, via re-routing). There's a pic of Richards and Wood tuning up on a Boogie amp early on the 1975 tour -before the MSG shows.

Mathijs

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 20, 2015 12:56

kleermaker
I call it pollution when the 69 - 73 tour threads are interrupted by those mediocre later tours. Keep them to their own thread or start a new one if they don't exist yet, so I can skip them.

Easy partner! Dandie gave us an example of terrific sounds because I brought up 1977 (and 75 and 76).

Back on topic. The fuller sound in 1972 was gone in 1973 (to my ears). 1972 is jazzier and bluesier and 1973 more rock and almost fusion sometimes. I love both.

Date: February 20, 2015 12:56

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

Well, maybe not.

Boogie's where already present during recording of Woods 'I've Got My Own Album To Do' through Pete Townsend and George Harrison. Then during rehearsals in Rotterdam 1975 a load of new gear was tried and tested, like Travis Bean guitars and basses, and most likely a first Boogie. The guitar sound of Slave very much sounds like a Boogie (but that could also have been done in 1981, via re-routing). There's a pic of Richards and Wood tuning up on a Boogie amp early on the 1975 tour -before the MSG shows.

Mathijs

I've thought about that one, too. Sounds very much like a Boogie, that compact, tight rhythm sound.

But I don't think they tried them in concert before El Mocambo, like Santana said.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 20, 2015 13:03

The Mesa... Is there any possible way to get anything close to that sound without the actual Mesa? Can I, with the help of some pedal, get anything close to the Mesa through my Black star? No, I'm not joking.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 20, 2015 13:09

Keith's sound at the El Mocambo has always been my favorite guitar sound of his.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 20, 2015 16:02

Redhotcarpet
The Mesa... Is there any possible way to get anything close to that sound without the actual Mesa? Can I, with the help of some pedal, get anything close to the Mesa through my Black star? No, I'm not joking.

Mesa Boogie does a line of pedals. Check out their site for them. Maybe one was for the Mk1.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2107
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home