Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: most influential guitarists in rock history
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 28, 2014 22:46

Koen
Mark Knopfler himself was heavily influenced by JJ Cale.

maybe groove vise if i may say so, but as a total guitarplayer, knopfler was in different league (maybe 2 leagues above..) above mr Cale, with full respect for mr Cale which songs i like vey much. I would say Knopfler is in top 5 as guitarist, maybe not performer, and i dont undarstarnd why no one nominates him.

This discussion is about influential players, players who inspired many others to pick up a guitar or to change the way they are playing, etc. Players like Jimi and Keith did that, but not so much Mark Knopfler.

I have no doubt that Knopfler is a great player, and is in your personal top 5 five of players. But that seems more in place in a favorite guitar player discussion.

Cheers.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 28, 2014 23:14

Yes, Naturalust, of course when he was first learning to play guitar back in Seattle and, yes, when he was backing up Wilson Pickett, Little Richard etc. etc. in his struggling years after the army, he "emulated" as a backing musician being told what to play. "You do what you have to when you need the dough to survive."

BUT when he got to England he played and wrote "my way" as much as possible. He said this and more in a long letter that I still have.

Posted by: OCarol ()
Date: December 28, 2014 23:36

Most influential guitarist in ROCK history.... Chuck! End of story!

Date: December 28, 2014 23:52

OCarol
Most influential guitarist in ROCK history.... Chuck! End of story!

Norris?

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: December 29, 2014 00:06

Bert Jansch. Has anyone mentioned Bert Jansch? Can't be arsed trawling thru all the previous posts.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: December 29, 2014 00:31

ROLLINGSTONE
Bert Jansch. Has anyone mentioned Bert Jansch? Can't be arsed trawling thru all the previous posts.

I wanted to mention him but I mentioned Davey Graham instead smileys with beer

My favourite version:

When people unfamiliar with Bert ask me for a quick education, I say, without Bert Jansch The Beatles wouldn’t have written ‘Dear Prudence’. Why? Because Donovan, who famously wrote ‘House Of Jansch’ and ‘Bert’s Blues’, found himself accompanying The Beatles to Rishikesh to see the Maharishi. And showed John Lennon, in particular, the descending clawhammer D technique. It’s known to most guitarists from Neil Young’s ‘Needle And The Damage Done’, which is a lift from Bert’s ‘Needles Of Death’ anyway. That technique is something guitarists now take for granted – tune to low D, play descending lines from the first position from D to C to Bb. We don ‘t think about it, but it’s got to have come from somewhere. And in Britain, it came from Bert. Hence ‘Dear Prudence’. Bert may have appropriated it from Davey Graham, but Bert was the star. Bert was the one everyone wanted to be.

A lot of people who don’t know Bert’s music think he’s all about technique. And while he can be dazzling in that regard, he has a healthy disregard fro the academic side of playing. He’s a million miles away from those boring GIT dudes. He know it’s ultimately about a getting a feeling across.

I first heard him when I was 14 or 15. And his playing really gave me something to aspire to. It was a new yardstick. To use that horrible modern Americanism, he raised the bar. He had something that I thought I could attain feel-wise, because I felt I had the same bluesy right hand, the swing of it. But the left hand was just from Mars. He was the only guy, along with Rory Gallagher, that I’d really sit down and work out. I’d play along with pop records, ‘All The Young Dudes’, ‘Metal Guru’, but Bert I really had to listen to.

The music from my generation was pretty crap and disposable. But Bert’s music, and the music of people he inspired, like Nick Drake and Neil Young, has a timelessness. That first album is a sparse record on the face of it, but once you get into it, it’s got everything you need. It’s got depth. It’s dark. It’s lyrically very interesting, and the singing’s fabulous. It stands up to any bombastic six-piece rock band in my opinion. It’s that powerful. The best of Bert’s music makes a lot of rock music look like pansy-ass posing.

Johnny Marr, Guitarist Magazine, February 2004

[www.johnnymarrplaysguitar.com]

Date: December 29, 2014 00:41

A great article about Johnny Marr's inspiration:
[www.johnnymarrplaysguitar.com]

and his top ten guitarists:

NO.1 James Williamson
Johnny Picks; Iggy & Stooges "Raw Power"(1972) / Iggy Pop & James Williamson "Kill City"
NO.2 Bert Jansch
Johnny Picks; "Bert Jansch"(1965) / "Jack Orion"(1966) / Pentangle "Sweet Child"(1968)
NO.3 Roger McGUINN
Johnny Picks; The Byrds "Fifth Dimension"(1966) / "The Notorious Byrd Brothers"(1968)
NO.4 Pete Townshend
Johnny Picks; The Who "My Generation"(1965) / "Thirty Years Of Maximum R&B" (1994)
NO.5 Radiohead
Johnny Picks; "OK Computer"(1997) / "Kid A"(2000) / "Amnesiac"(2001)
NO.6 Jimi Hendrix
Johnny Picks; The Jimi Hendrix Experience "Axis:Bold As Love"(1967) / "Electric Ladyland"(1968)
NO.7 Marc Bolan
Johnny Picks; T-Rex "The Slider"(1972) / "The Essential Collection"(1995)
NO.8 Keith Richards
Johnny Picks; The Rolling Stones "Through The Past Darkly"(1969) / "Exile On Main Street"(1972)
NO.9 George Harrison
Johnny Picks; The Beatles "A Hard Day's Night"(1964) / "The White Album"(1968)
NO.10 John McGeoch
Johnny Picks; Magazine "Real Life"(1978) / Siouxsie And The Banshees "Juju"(1981)

[www.morrissey-solo.com]

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: December 29, 2014 01:00

Rockman
Ike Zimmerman ....

Yup, everyone getting their knickers in a twist. Of course it is Dylan. Blowing in the wind. Tambourine man. How many people has he inspired? it's probably in the millions.

Date: December 29, 2014 01:05

OK IKE Zimmerman?

Never heard of him.

I thought you meant Bob

Anyway, Dylan is most influential for me

as for favourites:

Angus Young
Joe perry
Ted Nugent
Ace. Frehley
Ritchie Blackmore
Jimmy Page

Oh, and Tony Iommi - who was pretty influential

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 29, 2014 01:24

I never saw Black Sabbath in concert...Ozzie's various offstage antics didn't
appeal to me.

Then several years ago at the British Rock Hall of Fame ceremonies,
I heard Black Sabbath for the first time. I thought Iommi was absolutely terrific!

The band played a short set which was REALLY good until Ozzie
pulled down his trousers, showed his ass and rather spoiled the impact the
band made.

Do you know what Iommi is doing these days?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 29, 2014 01:29

letitloose
Rockman
Ike Zimmerman ....

Yup, everyone getting their knickers in a twist. Of course it is Dylan. Blowing in the wind. Tambourine man. How many people has he inspired? it's probably in the millions.

But not because of his guitar playing.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 29, 2014 01:53

RomanCandle

My favourite version:

Wow that was pretty cool. I wasn't familiar with this guy. Sounds like Jimmy Page took a few licks from this guy too.

Always nice to see where standard guitar forms like the D walk down phrasing you are referring to might have originated. For me it started with Dear Prudence. But Bert Jansch probably copped it from someone too, maybe some Irish folk Balladeer no one's ever heard of. smoking smiley

Anyway, thanks for the education.

peace

Date: December 29, 2014 02:19

Aquamarine
letitloose
Rockman
Ike Zimmerman ....

How many people in the world first strummed a guitar because of blowing in the wind?

Certainly more than those who loved Eddie Van Halen.

The question is misleading. In it's purest sense, I guess your favourite guitarists favourite guitarist would be most influential, tho that doesn't work either.

Bob Dylan is not my favourite guitarist, tho I would reassert he may be the most influential

Posted by: MrBobMartini ()
Date: December 29, 2014 02:20

Chuck Berry
Keith Richards
BB King
Les Paul
Steve Cropper
Robert Johnson
Elmore James

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: December 29, 2014 02:58

A lot of people you could probably say tried to copy the early Beatles styles making their guitar-playing actually very influential.

Still, If I had only 5 I could name.

Berry
Hendrix
Page
Clapton
Richards.

* With an asterisk, just going back basically to Rock 'n' Roll, 1955 or so, I have no doubt some of the Blues Masters had a heavy influence on Rock.

Obviously, Big Joe Turner wrote Shake, Rattle and Roll. Songwriters are very influential too, Lieber-Stoller wrote many top 40 types of songs and in that, influenced artists to come in my humble opinion.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 29, 2014 03:12

letitloose
Aquamarine
letitloose
Rockman
Ike Zimmerman ....

How many people in the world first strummed a guitar because of blowing in the wind?

Certainly more than those who loved Eddie Van Halen.

The question is misleading. In it's purest sense, I guess your favourite guitarists favourite guitarist would be most influential, tho that doesn't work either.

Bob Dylan is not my favourite guitarist, tho I would reassert he may be the most influential

Without the lyrics, Bob would probably be not considered influential as a guitarist. But he sure influenced a lot of guitar playing songwriters.

Ironically, he is not playing guitar much anymore.sad smiley

peace

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: December 29, 2014 03:23

I've watched Joan Baez videos over at youtube, pre-Bob Dylan, the Kingston Trio were doing folk-music with guitars as well. Not sure if Dylan came up with a new innovation really. Of course, nothing is new under the sun and one could really say Dylan was emulating who he claims inspired him so much, Woody Guthrie. Then, you have Pete Seeger, I'm not clear on all he wrote, I know he wrote "Where have all the flowers gone", is that so much different in spirit than "blowin' in the wind"??

So what Dylan came up with is that Subterranean Blues kind of songs, Highway 61 Revisited but in that, I think it was a bit like Beatnik poetry put to songs.

And what was going on in the UK? That Lonnie Donegan stuff, Skiffle, a lot of that sounds like folk music and some of it, of course, had real oddball lyrics as well and that is before 1960 as well I think.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-29 03:29 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 29, 2014 08:36

Ike Zimmerman ....

Yup, everyone getting their knickers in a twist. Of course it is Dylan

No no Ike Zimmerman is Ike Zimmerman NOT Robert Zimmerman

[www.tdblues.com]

ROCKMAN

Date: December 29, 2014 09:33

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-29 15:42 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: December 29, 2014 09:35

stonesrule
I never saw Black Sabbath in concert...Ozzie's various offstage antics didn't
appeal to me.

Then several years ago at the British Rock Hall of Fame ceremonies,
I heard Black Sabbath for the first time. I thought Iommi was absolutely terrific!

The band played a short set which was REALLY good until Ozzie
pulled down his trousers, showed his ass and rather spoiled the impact the
band made.

Do you know what Iommi is doing these days?

Black Sabbath did world tour lately last year that is,,,starting 2012 just like stones and few shows this year,,but 2013 was the active year,as they released new album as well..it was OK but it reminded me from Iommis Solo albums...

I think Tony Iommi is still recovering from cancer,,,and he is too underated guitarist,,,jeez he created entire genre

Date: December 29, 2014 09:36

letitloose
OK IKE Zimmerman?

Never heard of him.

I thought you meant Bob

as for favourites:

Angus Young
Joe perry
Ted Nugent
Ace. Frehley
Ritchie Blackmore
Jimmy Page

Can you name some guitar players who are influenced by these guitarists (and not primarily by the guitarists who influenced the names you mentioned)?

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 29, 2014 11:00

No one mentioned Fred Sonic Smith-MC5

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: December 29, 2014 15:37

Baez does Dylan

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 29, 2014 19:02

ash
Elmo Lewis
Robert Johnson
T-Bone Walker
Hubert Sumlin
Muddy Waters
Elmore James
CHUCK BERRY
Scotty Moore
Gene Vincent
John/George
KEITH RICHARDS
Hendrix
Van Halen
and, yeah, the Edge.

Just basing these on how others took their styles and went with them (or at least tried to).

Elmo are you sure about Gene Vincent ? I suspect you mean Cliff Gallup.
I'd also like to repeat that in terms of influential UK guitar players, if Hank Marvin isn't on the list then the list is shit. That is not an opinion it is a fact. Ask anyone British who picked up a guitar after 1960.

Oops! Meant Cliff, of course.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 29, 2014 23:13

DandelionPowderman
letitloose
OK IKE Zimmerman?

Never heard of him.

I thought you meant Bob

as for favourites:

Angus Young
Joe perry
Ted Nugent
Ace. Frehley
Ritchie Blackmore
Jimmy Page

Can you name some guitar players who are influenced by these guitarists (and not primarily by the guitarists who influenced the names you mentioned)?

Billy Duffy by the ones in bold.

Date: December 29, 2014 23:26

Redhotcarpet
slewan
The Edge??? - HAHAHHAHAHA (joke of the year!)

I like the Edge but no he has not made any significant impact on guitarplayers. Unique sure, but not among the greatest.
Maybe the scope of this thread isnt clear then. is it about influencing other guitarists, who thenn have to become great?
Or is it about influencing any old kid to pick up a guitar because it tuerns them on?
I have seen posts here about both stances.

I saw the thread as "did someone influence the way guitar playing went'. Not that it matters one bit, but I am not a fan of the Edge. But just about anyone who plays nowadys, by modern standards is following in a path that he helped forge. this is not about chops per se. It is about chgnaging the concept of playing electric guitar. That right there sya something: electric guitar. He has pioneered a new approach. That is all. You can still safely hate his playing ,and know that this is true.
All guitarists with pedal trains now. I see him as one of those guys in the middle pack. there were the giants from the 60's ande eraly 70's, and then there are real rollers today. In the 80's they had a tough job. An avalanche of new technology, but it was going to take 15 years to digest it and get it ito perspective.
The 80's... that should be a thread.

Date: December 29, 2014 23:30

Palace Revolution 2000
The 80's...that should be a thread.

yes

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: December 30, 2014 15:22

Influential Guitarists in Rock History?

Muddy Waters
Chuck Berry
Buddy Holly
Robert Johnson
Freddie King

Posted by: stein ()
Date: December 30, 2014 15:52

Hendrix and Zappa

Date: December 30, 2014 15:56

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
letitloose
OK IKE Zimmerman?

Never heard of him.

I thought you meant Bob

as for favourites:

Angus Young
Joe perry
Ted Nugent
Ace. Frehley
Ritchie Blackmore
Jimmy Page

Billy Duffy by the ones in bold.

He he, I was thinking of Perry, Nugent and Frehley in particular smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2289
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home