Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: most influential guitarists in rock history
Posted by: HearTheWindHowl ()
Date: December 26, 2014 15:27

JOE PERRY:

I think I want to say how I came to that opinion:
He's not someone who plays a hundred thousand notes. There are others who do that. In fact,he's got a tendency to play comparatively few notes. But, IMO, he plays the "right ones". These notes always sound big, fresh & sparkling. Just listen to "Amazing", great guitar work! This player has got what it needs! So, how can one, be it a musician or not, possibly not be influenced by someone who sounds "so great"? I am sure there are many fans out there who take him as a great example ....

Posted by: janathmer ()
Date: December 26, 2014 15:33

Palace Revolution 2000
Naturalust
Since the question is "influential" and not necessarily best:

Muddy Waters
Chuck Berry
Scotty Moore
Steve Cropper
George Harrison and John Lennon
Jeff Beck
Eric Clapton
JIMI HENDRIX
Keith Richards and Mick Taylor
Jimmy Page
Steve Howe
Eddie Van Halen
Kurt Cobain

The Edge doesn't even come close, imo. Yes he has developed an interesting and successful style but you don't see many trying to copy it or hear of guitarists quoting him as an influence.

I'm surprised more haven't mentioned Steve Howe. For a time there before Van Halen came along he was pushing the limits more that anyone and his combination acoustic and electric work influenced American guitarists in a big way.

peace

Very true about Howe. Another part I like about his solos kis that you one can "sing" them. they are strong. In prog dept. I d say that Steve Hackett from the 'real' Genesis was vefry advabced. He was tapping way before EVH; and had revolutionary sounds.

Even if one hates U2, and like a few others here - I don't get the venom that name automatically produces - the Edge pioneered a whole new qay of playing. yes - even he admits that it is effect based. But it is modern way of thinking; it is using technology to make new music and sounds. Like naturalust says, there are many guitarists who cite him as influence.
That's exactly what I mean about the Edge's influence.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 26, 2014 15:43

Robert Johnson
T-Bone Walker
Hubert Sumlin
Muddy Waters
Elmore James
CHUCK BERRY
Scotty Moore
Gene Vincent
John/George
KEITH RICHARDS
Hendrix
Van Halen
and, yeah, the Edge.

Just basing these on how others took their styles and went with them (or at least tried to).

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: December 26, 2014 15:48

Heres my list:

George Harrison ( influenced an entire generation of up & coming guitarists in the 60's )

Keith Richards ( ditto)

Pete Townsend

Hendrix

Jimmy Page

James Burton

Scotty Moore

Robert Johnson

Jeff Beck

Clapton

Date: December 26, 2014 16:32

HearTheWindHowl
JOE PERRY:

I think I want to say how I came to that opinion:
He's not someone who plays a hundred thousand notes. There are others who do that. In fact,he's got a tendency to play comparatively few notes. But, IMO, he plays the "right ones". These notes always sound big, fresh & sparkling. Just listen to "Amazing", great guitar work! This player has got what it needs! So, how can one, be it a musician or not, possibly not be influenced by someone who sounds "so great"? I am sure there are many fans out there who take him as a great example ....

I think he indeed plays many notes, and that only a few of them hit home. I like Joe, too, but imo he doesn't belong on such a list. I'm pretty sure he'd be the first to acknowledge that as well.

Date: December 26, 2014 16:40

Some of the guitar players who influenced me the most:

Keith Richards
Django Reinhardt
Chuck Berry
Duane Allman
Wes Montgomery
Jimi Hendrix
Francis Rossi
George Harrison
Ronnie Wood
Nick Drake
Clarence White
Mick Taylor
Peter Green
Jimmy Page
John Lee Hooker
Leadbelly
Robert Johnson
Big Bill Broonzy
James Burton
Pete Townshend
Snah

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-26 18:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 26, 2014 16:46

How could I have left Duane Allman off the list? His slide playing exposed many to the style.

Date: December 26, 2014 17:07

I have forgotten to mention some of the great old blues players:

Blind Lemon Jefferson
Charley Patton
Blind Blake (already mentioned)

Blind Boy Fuller
Blind Willie McTell
Blind Willie Johnson
Son House
Elmore James
Lightnin' Hopkins
Mississippi John Hurt
Mississippi Fred McDowell
and many others ......

Posted by: txussilvestre ()
Date: December 26, 2014 17:31

A lot of great contributions here!

Two important characters, with their guitar skills usually shadowed by their singing-songwriting skills are Lou Reed and Neil Young.

Not very technical but with a very distinctive approach to the instrument. Lou Reed with a very rhythmic impulse and Neil Young with his inimitable soloing and grainy textures, if you know what I mean...

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: December 26, 2014 17:32

I really dropped the ball on not mentioning Eric Clapton, I guess the 1st Yardbirds' guitarist, the Yardbirds were famous for their "raveups". (And I've got plenty of Clapton and Cream and Layla is probably one of the best all time rock songs).

As great as the Yardbirds are, Count V is said to have been heavily influenced by the Yardbirds and the Standells (Muddy Water).

[en.wikipedia.org]

I can listen to "Psychotic Reaction" by the Count Five; that is a heckuva guitar lick, I've posted it in the youtube video area here before.

I read one reviewer say the Count Five did a Yardbirds raveup but they did it better than the Yardbirds did. Maybe so.

----------

I also wanted to plug the guitar on songs by Johnny Burnette such as "Train kept a rollin'" but when I looked into it, it wasn't real clear who the guitarist was so I just dropped the matter.

----------

Oh, yes, and Eddie Van Halen definitely belongs on that list.

I'm sure some others do as well.

Justin Hayward? And preceding Steve Howe per prog-rock, which brings me to remember Robert Fripp too though that is very artsy-rock avant guarde to me, good guitar playing though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-26 17:35 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: OCarol ()
Date: December 26, 2014 17:42

Most influential would have to go to Chuck...Everyone that came after him would mention him as an influence at some point!

Date: December 26, 2014 17:44

Robert Fripp is definitely up there, Broom thumbs up

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: December 26, 2014 17:47

Date: December 26, 2014 17:51

Obviously, a "poppish" duo like the Everly Brothers aside from their lyrics probably influenced the Beatles "poppish" sound. To me, the Beatles melodies and vocals sound so much like an innovation of the Everlies.

Compare Bye-bye love to I should have known better and so on.

Red River Rock by Johnny and the Hurricanes is something, Status Quo does the song somehow with lyrics I have never been able to find.

Date: December 26, 2014 17:58

Chuck Berry's influence can hardly be overestimated. But the same applies for Robert Johnson, too! They both have many, many songs that are played to this day and will be played in many years to come. They are the foundations of today's blues rock music. Their songs are like unsinkable ships. Their playing can be heard in many songs that were recorded many years later. They'll probably never be forgotten. For that reason, I put Chuck and Robert in one line ... they're both top shelf!

Date: December 26, 2014 18:08

All of the San Francisco guys, no one or few mentioned Jerry Garcia, John Fogerty, guys for the Jefferson Airplane.

Well, country music definitely influenced rock music too. That's why there is a whole genre called Rockabilly and I put the influences as equal.

That's why there is a lot of country, I walk the line or Folsom Prison Blues that is close to Rock and roll and has little or nothing to do with the Traditional Blues or Chuck Berry. The Rolling Stones may have all to do with Chuck Berry, it does not mean everyone else does.

Same thing for Bob Dylan's big influence, Woody Guthrie, folk music.

Cippolini, Quicksilver too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-26 18:15 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: fleabitmonkey ()
Date: December 26, 2014 18:52

Freddie King
Clarence White

Date: December 26, 2014 18:55

fleabitmonkey
Freddie King
Clarence White

thumbs up

Posted by: fleabitmonkey ()
Date: December 26, 2014 19:07

DandelionPowderman
fleabitmonkey
Freddie King
Clarence White

thumbs up
I missed you had already mentioned Clarence I thought he was being overlooked. I think I would also include Doc Watson to the list.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 26, 2014 19:13

BroomWagon
I also wanted to plug the guitar on songs by Johnny Burnette such as "Train kept a rollin'" but when I looked into it, it wasn't real clear who the guitarist was so I just dropped the matter.

Paul Burlison is generally credited as playing lead with the Rock n Roll Trio although some have suggested that the solos were in fact recorded by Grady Martin on some tracks.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 26, 2014 19:15

Elmo Lewis
Robert Johnson
T-Bone Walker
Hubert Sumlin
Muddy Waters
Elmore James
CHUCK BERRY
Scotty Moore
Gene Vincent
John/George
KEITH RICHARDS
Hendrix
Van Halen
and, yeah, the Edge.

Just basing these on how others took their styles and went with them (or at least tried to).

Elmo are you sure about Gene Vincent ? I suspect you mean Cliff Gallup.
I'd also like to repeat that in terms of influential UK guitar players, if Hank Marvin isn't on the list then the list is shit. That is not an opinion it is a fact. Ask anyone British who picked up a guitar after 1960.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-26 19:21 by ash.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 26, 2014 22:21

It's always good to read interviews by guitarists about who they were influenced by. One would think Van Halen would have been influenced by Hendrix but Eddie says he was/is a huge Clapton fan, knowing his solos note for note. Ironically his style doesn't sound anything like Claptons.
Eddie's style probably influence the whole 80's guitar generation.
Not sure if anyone has mentioned Tony Iommi yet. I would rank him and Ritchie Blackmore up there. Also, some guitarists who are perhaps underrated like Glen Buxton from Alice Cooper's original band - Randy Rhoads was a fan, Brad Whitford from Aerosmith and Malcolm Young.

Date: December 26, 2014 22:36

ash

Elmo are you sure about Gene Vincent ? I suspect you mean Cliff Gallup.
I'd also like to repeat that in terms of influential UK guitar players, if Hank Marvin isn't on the list then the list is shit. That is not an opinion it is a fact. Ask anyone British who picked up a guitar after 1960.

Hey, I got one! spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmiling bouncing smiley And I'm not even British.

There are so many guitarists out there, I've heard a little Robin Trower, I know people try to build themselves up and like he tried to look like another Jimi or something.

Some good guitar playing from Jethro Tull,Martin Barre, dislike or like JT, those medleys probably influenced some later bands and I think good vibes, let alone some acoustic too.

Aqualung, that has to have influenced a lot of people even if I'm not the biggest fan of it.

Mentioning Santana as many do, makes me think of John McGlaughlin though Jazz guitarist I suppose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-26 23:01 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: December 26, 2014 22:39

I think you can add Carlos Santana to the list.

Date: December 26, 2014 22:39

DGA35
It's always good to read interviews by guitarists about who they were influenced by. One would think Van Halen would have been influenced by Hendrix but Eddie says he was/is a huge Clapton fan, knowing his solos note for note. Ironically his style doesn't sound anything like Claptons.
Not sure if anyone has mentioned Tony Iommi yet. I would rank him and Ritchie Blackmore up there. Also, some guitarists who are perhaps underrated like Glen Buxton from Alice Cooper's original band - Randy Rhoads was a fan, Brad Whitford from Aerosmith and Malcolm Young.

Tony Iommi and Richie Blackmore were mentioned.

The Alice Cooper guitarist who also plays on the intro to Sweet Jane on Rock 'n' Roll animal by Lou Reed was very good too, passed away, we spoke about him here.

-----------

Many guitarists, I appreciate Ian Hunter, not sure if he was the main guitarist in Mott the Hoople and then, you have Bad Company too, more good music. So, I think that guitarist would be Mick Ralphs.

TomSea in the mini-league tournaments.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: December 27, 2014 00:10

billy gibbons-zz top
scott gorham brian robertson-thin lizzy
rory gallagher
joe walsh don felder-eagles
mike bruce glen buxton- alice cooper
dick wagner steve hunter-alice cooper, lou reed
gary moore
peter green-john mayall fleetwood mac
tommy bolin-james gang,purple,billy cobham
paul kossoff-free

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 27, 2014 00:25

janathmer
treaclefingers
Just wondering who was influenced by the Edge?
Jon Buckland Coldplay,Jon Greenwood Radiohead

Coldplay sort of cancels out Radiohead unfortunately, so where are you on building your case?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 27, 2014 01:20

There are a lot ...............one very influencial for the Brittisch invasion is Hank B. Marvin

Posted by: marko ()
Date: December 27, 2014 10:46

DGA35

well I DID...Tony Iommi&Black Sabbath created a new genre,,ex quitarist,even his solos are limited,but rifds are hooking just like keiths,,as those 2 are my favorite guitarists.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 27, 2014 11:18

One of my favorite Sabbath songs is Mob Rules with RJ Dio. I'm sure everyone on this board knows Tony is on R'n'R Circus playing guitar with Tull.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home