Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: most influential guitarists in rock history
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 27, 2014 11:29

Ike Zimmerman ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 27, 2014 12:24

Even if you do not like or even if you hate them:
The Edge
Andy Summers
Mark Knopfler

Have left a signature sound for everyone who plays guitar, and changed the guitar sound in the 70s and 80s as hendrix, Richards and many many others did in the 60S and 70s

My style is a mixture between RICHARDS - GILMOUR - KNOPFLER - THE EDGE

And the one i would like to play like him is Ritchie Blackmore

No one has influenced in the use of digital delays as Gilmour and The Edge

Anyway i think that there are lots of excellent guitar p`layers in the past that have influenced us concienciously or unconcienciously. Some of them because of their technique, others because of a minimal technical aproach with excellent musical results (Richards and The Edge for example).

Nowadays we use tons of guitar effects to reach the sound of our heroes; and do not forget that great sounds of the 50s were approached with tape echo machines that were widely used by classic guitar players (Scotty Moore, The Shadows, ......)

Date: December 27, 2014 12:36

They're all good, Nacho, especially Summers, imo.

But their styles are somewhat still a bit dated. Maybe they will influence more guitarists in the future?

Most of The Edge's chops were used already in Pinball Wizard, btw winking smiley

Posted by: marko ()
Date: December 27, 2014 12:44

Everyone MUST know Tony Iommi.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: December 27, 2014 13:11

I can't believe most people forget Buddy Guy! Beck, Page, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ronnie and Keith are just a few impressive names that are influenced by him.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: December 27, 2014 14:34

mark knopfler is on the top there. the reason he is not influential is that no one CAN copy him.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 27, 2014 15:14

Mark Knopfler himself was heavily influenced by JJ Cale.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: December 27, 2014 15:30

And no one mentioned Steve Cropper and Harvey Mandel?

Very influential with their styles, but more so called musician`s musician then all these poster guys..

Tom

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: December 27, 2014 16:52

Calvin Newborn! All the jumping around, playing behind the back, with the teeth,stuff Hendrix did, Calvin was doing in Memphis in the mid 50's.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: December 27, 2014 19:14

Chuck Berry of course.
But then dig deeper and listen to T-Bone Walker.
Might be a surprise.

Posted by: StickyExile98 ()
Date: December 27, 2014 20:53

Jimi Hendrix
Keith Richards
Eric Clapton
Robert Johnson
Jimmy Page
Chuck Berry
Jeff Beck
BB King
Pete Townsend

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: December 27, 2014 21:09

Palace Revolution 2000

Even if one hates U2, and like a few others here - I don't get the venom that name automatically produces - the Edge pioneered a whole new qay of playing. yes - even he admits that it is effect based. But it is modern way of thinking; it is using technology to make new music and sounds. Like naturalust says, there are many guitarists who cite him as influence.

The only thing by so called The Edge that has ever grabbed me is the riff on "Mysterious Ways". When I think of Eric Clapton, Keith, Mick Taylor, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Jimmi Hendrix, even Neil Young.... I can think of twenty times each where their clever riff or a moment they created has gotten to me. So for me at least, Edge does not amount to much. He is better seen as a cog in a machine that has many fans (but not me)

It was Bono's wailing, emotion laden voice that carried U2 when they started out. Edge was secondary

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: December 27, 2014 21:12

Best guitar riff ever... Period.

Posted by: janathmer ()
Date: December 27, 2014 22:29

Koen
Clapton after his Cream years was also influenced by JJ Cale. Gatemouth Brown was an important influence on JJ Cale.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 27, 2014 22:38

Les Paul, Chuck Berry, Keith Richards, Buddy Guy.

Posted by: OCarol ()
Date: December 27, 2014 23:42

Lol... this has become the name every guitarist thread!

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 28, 2014 02:34

Bert Weedon.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: December 28, 2014 02:54

Eric Clapton
Yngwie Malmsteen
Ritchie Blackmore
Jimmy Page
Eddie van Halen
Jeff Beck
Brian May
Neal Schon
Slash
Tom Morello
Mark Tremonti
Carlos Santana
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Adrian Vandenberg
Jimi Hendrix
Mick Taylor
Angus Young
Pete Townsend
Gary Moore
Peter Green
Danny Bryant

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-28 03:01 by Ladykiller.

Date: December 28, 2014 09:32

triceratops
Palace Revolution 2000

Even if one hates U2, and like a few others here - I don't get the venom that name automatically produces - the Edge pioneered a whole new qay of playing. yes - even he admits that it is effect based. But it is modern way of thinking; it is using technology to make new music and sounds. Like naturalust says, there are many guitarists who cite him as influence.

The only thing by so called The Edge that has ever grabbed me is the riff on "Mysterious Ways". When I think of Eric Clapton, Keith, Mick Taylor, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Jimmi Hendrix, even Neil Young.... I can think of twenty times each where their clever riff or a moment they created has gotten to me. So for me at least, Edge does not amount to much. He is better seen as a cog in a machine that has many fans (but not me)

It was Bono's wailing, emotion laden voice that carried U2 when they started out. Edge was secondary

I don't know, I don't take the original question as "do I like this or that guitarist?" but "did so-and-so chnage the way guitar playing went? Like it or not?"
And, yes - the Edge very much so did this.
Someone mentioned Fripp and someone else Andy Summers - both incredible additions. especially Summers, because so many people heard him; with all the Police hits. there was a time where EVERY drummer mentioned Copeland as influence and guiutar players started doing that Summers bit. Come to think of it - Summers paved the way for someone like Edge to come in. Edge used even more f/x and played even less, LOL

Date: December 28, 2014 12:06

Palace Revolution 2000
triceratops
Palace Revolution 2000

I don't know, I don't take the original question as "do I like this or that guitarist?" but "did so-and-so chnage the way guitar playing went? Like it or not?"
Someone mentioned Fripp and someone else Andy Summers - both incredible additions. especially Summers, because so many people heard him; with all the Police hits. there was a time where EVERY drummer mentioned Copeland as influence and guiutar players started doing that Summers bit. Come to think of it - Summers paved the way for someone like Edge to come in. Edge used even more f/x and played even less, LOL
Agree!

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: December 28, 2014 12:25

I don't know any great guitarist who was inflenced by The Edge.
Greenwood? yes but you should mention John McGeoch (who influenced The Edge AND Greenwood at the same time) instead. Johnny Marr, who is an excellent songwriter also quoted him as an influence. So he influenced the guitarists of three of the biggest bands of the last decades (Radiohead, U2, The Smiths) and NO ONE mentioned him? The Edge never played on songs like "Into The Light" or "Spellbound", right? The album Kaleidoscope is far more creative and influential than all U2's discography. And the best U2 album sounds like Siouxsie and the Banshees with John McKay.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-28 12:29 by RomanCandle.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 28, 2014 14:11

Hendrix

Charlie Christian
Ry Cooder
John Lee Hooker
Chet Atkins
Chuck Berry
Bo Diddley
BB King
Bert Jansch
Donovan
Lou Reed

Jeff Beck
Jimmy Page
Pete Townshend
Keith Richards
Brian Jones: brought slide to rock and pop music. Brilliant work on Little Red Rooster, I cant be satisfied and others. Use of repeating guitar motif on Last Time.

Bob Dylan
Kurt Cobain
Angus Young
Roger McGuinn

Dave Davies
Slash

George Harrison (use of Rickenbacker 12 string and slide)

Ace Frehley (tone, bending, his use of staccato)

Side note: John Lennon (the first solo album, use of distorted rhythm has made a great impact in later years; I found out, Well Well Well)

Edited 14 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-01 12:28 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 28, 2014 14:25

slewan
The Edge??? - HAHAHHAHAHA (joke of the year!)

I like the Edge but no he has not made any significant impact on guitarplayers. Unique sure, but not among the greatest.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 28, 2014 14:45

Rockman
Ike Zimmerman ....

Robert Allen Turner cool smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 28, 2014 14:59

OCarol
Lol... this has become the name every guitarist thread!

It always does... smoking smiley

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: December 28, 2014 16:21

Koen

maybe groove vise if i may say so, but as a total guitarplayer, knopfler was in different league (maybe 2 leagues above..) above mr Cale, with full respect for mr Cale which songs i like vey much. I would say Knopfler is in top 5 as guitarist, maybe not performer, and i dont undarstarnd why no one nominates him.

Date: December 28, 2014 17:05

Koen

maybe groove vise if i may say so, but as a total guitarplayer, knopfler was in different league (maybe 2 leagues above..) above mr Cale, with full respect for mr Cale which songs i like vey much. I would say Knopfler is in top 5 as guitarist, maybe not performer, and i dont undarstarnd why no one nominates him.

This thread is about who influenced who. What do the guitarists themselves say about that? What style or sound from one guitarist do you hear in the style or sound of another guitarist?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 28, 2014 20:47

janathmer
Palace Revolution 2000
triceratops
Palace Revolution 2000

Agree!

I think I said I don't know many (any) guitarists who have sited The Edge as an influence. Can you think of any guitarists who are playing like him these days? Yes I know of a few who have played U2 songs, me included, but none who are are grabbing ahold of his style and spending hours trying to sound like him.

When influential guitarists like Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen hit the airwaves, thousands if not millions of guitarists poured over their songs and took great pains to try to reproduce them note-for-note. I just don't see that with The Edge. Probably the reason is that, as has been pointed out here, The Edge doesn't seem to have mastery over his guitar so much as mastery over his delay effects.

I was kind of pleasantly shocked to hear Mysterious Ways...thought OK, this guy's gonna start playing a bit of guitar but it wasn't complicated, groundbreaking or influential stuff.

Maybe The Edge's influence is not so tangible and it is more of "do whatever you want, don't have to master the guitar, embrace the technology".

peace

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 28, 2014 21:30

Not much mention here of B.B. King.
For those of you who enjoy my reminisces, King was one of the few black guitarists who didn't feel a certain resentment when Hendrix went to England
and suddenly became a star after struggling to make it in America. He said to Jimi in 1969,"thanks to you and your success, the rest of us colored boys are able to make more money playing gigs..." Then he presented Jimi with a new
guitar.

Jimi was touched..thrilled. In a matter of days, that guitar, as was so often
the case, was stolen from him.

Regarding Buddy Guy, he and Junior Wells opened for the Stones on the 1970 European tour. They were full of life and completely enjoyable. I mentioned
this to Jimi a few days before he died. He said, "I met Buddy Guy once and we exchanged a few words." In the years since Hendrix's death, I would read about
what a big Influence Buddy was on Jimi. That was not necessarily true.

He liked a couple of Buddy's late 60's albums but Jimi never set out to emulate anyone.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 28, 2014 22:36

stonesrule
He said to Jimi in 1969,"thanks to you and your success, the rest of us colored boys are able to make more money playing gigs..." Then he presented Jimi with a new
guitar.

Jimi was touched..thrilled. In a matter of days, that guitar, as was so often
the case, was stolen from him.

He liked a couple of Buddy's late 60's albums but Jimi never set out to emulate anyone.

Not sure if it was after Jimi's success but I understand that black American Blues guitarists had a pretty good run over in England and Western Europe, they were in high demand. Was this a direct result of the successful British guitarists citing them as influences?

As far as Jimi never setting out to emulate anyone all I can say is that ALL guitarists set out to emulate others in their formative years and I don't doubt Jimi was no different. He learned songs note for note and practiced playing what his influences played just like everyone else. Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters , Steve Cropper, BB King, Curtis Mayfield and Albert King can all be heard in Jimi's playing. No doubt he combined them all and made his own thing. You could even say Jimi tried to emulate them all, at the same time, and succeeded in doing so!

Jimi is still my biggest influence and I love so much of his work. It was his flashy over the top lead playing that got my attention but it was his ballads like Angel, Little Wing, Castles Made of Sand and The Wind Cries Mary that struck a chord in my soul that continues to reverberate to this day. What a gift to this planet that man was. RIP Jimi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-28 22:49 by Naturalust.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1936
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home