Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 14 of 18
Re: RIP Bobby Keys
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 5, 2014 16:23

Interesting to see the two versions of Bobby's involvement in the Brown Sugar solo and how, though different stories, Bobby gives Mick credit for asking him to do it after hearing him play at Keith's party while Keith gives Bobby credit for suggesting it.

Copied from above:
Bobby's Version:
Can you talk about how the "Brown Sugar" solo came together?
That came together at Keith and my birthday party in England. I guess that would've been 1970 of 1971. Originally "Brown Sugar" had a guitar solo, Mick Taylor put a guitar solo on it. In fact, some of the very early pressings came out with the guitar solo on it. But there was a birthday party with me and Keith and Eric Clapton and George Harrison and Ringo and Keith Moon, a whole bunch of other people. And we started to have a jam session. I don't remember exactly what the process was now, but we ended up playing "Brown Sugar." And I just played that solo on it. And Jimmy Miller, who was there that night, and Mick said, "Can you do that again?" I said, "Hell, I don't know what I did then, but if I did it once I can do it again." I think we made a date – we didn't do it the night of the party, but I came back in and did the solo. It was the first take.

Keith's Version:
And then, of course, there's "Brown Sugar." There was that gap left in the track and we didn't know whether to put a guitar solo on. Bob said, "Look, let me have a bash." And it was obvious that it was the most perfect rock & roll solo. We all knew it once we heard it.

Pretty sure I don't care which version is accurate. Absolutely sure that I'm happy Bobby ended up on the track. So glad I got to hear him live a few times.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 5, 2014 16:31

DandelionPowderman
Great words indeed, but Bobby had to wait in the wings for many years before he got his old job back in 1982 (not in 1989, as Keith always says).

Yes and no, in that RS article Keith says it took 10 years starting from 1973, but Bobby gives the details in his book and it was 1989 when he was "really" back as he says he only played on HTW and BS in 81 and 82 (doesn't say on how many shows, must have been one offs?). In 1989 after Keith found out Mick wanted Matt Clifford to play the saxophone, he got Jane Rose to call him. Tony Russel snuck him in on Keith's instructions and he bumped into Mick who asked him what he was doing there, the rest is...history.

Doxa
It is interesting that the first Rolling Stone Bobby was hanging with was actually Jagger. He lived at Mick's place, and according to him, that was the times of his life... Mick was a single (between Marianne and Bianca) and you know, to go places all over London with that bachelor...winking smiley.

Seemingly later - partly I guess Mick having settled down with Bianca - Bobby belonged more to Keith's court.

Bobby talks about that in his book too, apparently after a while he got the feeling that Mick was "parading" him around town as a "crazy guy from the South" so he moved our of Mick's place to a cottage on...John Lennon's Titness Park estate.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-05 16:32 by gotdablouse.

Date: December 5, 2014 16:39

< In 1989 after Keith found out Mick wanted Matt Clifford to play the saxophone, he got Jane Rose to call him. Tony Russel snuck him in on Keith's instructions and he bumped into Mick who asked him what he was doing there>

Only some of this is in Keith's book. What are the sources for the rest?

So Keith is to blame for the synthesiser-harp on MY and IJWMLTY? >grinning smiley<

Date: December 5, 2014 16:49

Like I wrote it's in Bobby's book, a most recommended read, you feel like he's next to you telling his story, fascinating stuff.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: December 5, 2014 16:52

gotdablouse
Like I wrote it's in Bobby's book, a most recommended read, you feel like he's next to you telling his story, fascinating stuff.

Thanks, I missed that part of your post. Will definitely check out his book soon.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: December 5, 2014 17:02

Doxa
jpasc95
was Bobby Keys only close to Keith ?

It is interesting that the first Rolling Stone Bobby was hanging with was actually Jagger. He lived at Mick's place, and according to him, that was the times of his life... Mick was a single (between Marianne and Bianca) and you know, to go places all over London with that bachelor...winking smiley.

Seemingly later - partly I guess Mick having settled down with Bianca - Bobby belonged more to Keith's court. Probably the mutual hobbies - and not just music - and lifestyle accompanied those two. (Which make me recall Keith's claim in LIFE that Mick is good to meet and find good people but not very good in lasting relationship (unlike him). Can't remember if he actually mentioned Bobby as an example, probably not, but I guess that goes in similar lines.)

- Doxa
thanks Doxa, your explanation is quite convincing !

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: December 5, 2014 17:08

andrewt
jpasc95
i'm surprised that there is no reaction from the other members of the band.
was Bobby Keys only close to Keith ?

They did issue a statement saying they are devastated.
What else can you say, really?
ok you're right !
I complete what Doxa explained above. I think Mick Jagger has also some sense of decency and probably doesn't like to express his feelings on the public place.
Keith is more open.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 5, 2014 18:36

It's not that there was no involvement between 73 and 81, Bobby Keys contributed to the Emotional Rescue album sessions in 79 in Paris and was part of the New Babarians line up of the USA 79 Tour.

Date: December 5, 2014 18:46

runaway
It's not that there was no involvement between 73 and 81, Bobby Keys contributed to the Emotional Rescue album sessions in 79 in Paris and was part of the New Babarians line up of the USA 79 Tour.

In addition to guesting on live shows on TOTA.

Date: December 5, 2014 18:50

DandelionPowderman
runaway

Yep I do agree but just want to add it was not blank

Date: December 5, 2014 18:57

He does say in his book that his decision to leave the 1973 without any notice didn't sit too well with the band, including Keith. Does anyone know how often he played with them in 1981 and 1982 ? All he says is that he only played on HTW and BS the rest of the sax parts being played by Ernie Watts, but surely they didn't have in on the road with them just for these two tunes, it must have been on and off?

--------------

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: December 5, 2014 18:58

[www.rollingstone.com]

Sorry if already posted. I didn't see it.

Ross

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 5, 2014 19:01

runaway

Plus two onstage stints (L.A. 75, Oakland & Anaheim in 78) and two 78 studio stints (Some Girls sessions and the RCA Studios sessions).

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 5, 2014 19:02

It was already posted a few pages back. But it can't hurt to post it again. smiling smiley

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: December 5, 2014 19:11

Koen
It was already posted a few pages back. But it can't hurt to post it again. smiling smiley

Thanks. I guess I didn't scroll back far enough! Anyway, what a great remembrance. Those two were really tight. Every note that guy ever played was classic. And what a character. Damn, he will be missed.

Ross

Posted by: Fennikel ()
Date: December 5, 2014 19:23

Good to see Bobby in good spirits in this half-crazy interview;

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 5, 2014 19:29

runaway
DandelionPowderman
runaway

Yeah, and he was even in the ER video smiling smiley

Date: December 5, 2014 19:44

DandelionPowderman
runaway
DandelionPowderman
runaway

Yeah, and he was even in the ER video smiling smiley

I am just listening to Rolling Stones Fever In The funkhouse, recorded live during the 1981 USA Tour. Mick Jagger-Keith Richards-Charlie Watts-Ron Wood-Bill wyman-Ian Stewart-Ian MC Lagan-Ernie Watts-Bobby Keys.smiling smileyboot

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: December 5, 2014 20:02

The perfect band !!

Date: December 5, 2014 20:19

dcba
runaway

Plus two onstage stints (L.A. 75, Oakland & Anaheim in 78) and two 78 studio stints (Some Girls sessions and the RCA Studios sessions).

Any info on the SG and RCA sessions? I didn't know that..

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: December 5, 2014 20:22

I mistakenly identified Nov 17 as the date for the iconic Brussels concert. Midnight Gambler is right. It was Oct 17, not Nov 17. I guess I'm getting old. But I've always been under the impression Bobby was on that recording...originally a King Biscuit Flower Hour FM quad broadcast...and assumed it was before Paris and the bathtub. If he wasn't Bobby Keys on sax, who was it?

Date: December 5, 2014 20:41

1969Fan
I mistakenly identified Nov 17 as the date for the iconic Brussels concert. Midnight Gambler is right. It was Oct 17, not Nov 17. I guess I'm getting old. But I've always been under the impression Bobby was on that recording...originally a King Biscuit Flower Hour FM quad broadcast...and assumed it was before Paris and the bathtub. If he wasn't Bobby Keys on sax, who was it?

Trevor Lawrence.

Date: December 5, 2014 20:42

1969Fan

I think it was Trevor Lawrence – saxophone...just within a few days before the Brussels I attended one of the Rotterdam concerts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-05 20:46 by runaway.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 5, 2014 20:46

Right now, one hour of my radioshow STONED
with focus on Bobby Keys. A humble contribution...

[www.okwestkueste.de]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-05 21:00 by TooTough.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 5, 2014 21:00

Tune in!

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: December 5, 2014 21:19

runaway...Thanks! Good info. I have never heard of Trevor Lawrence. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks after all.

Ernie Watts toured with the Stones in 1981. But as well as Lawrence played in Brussels, I wonder why he didn't tour with them in later years. I don't think they had a horn section in TOTA, and Some Girls Live in TX '78 does not credit any horn players. E Watts is a highly regarded jazz sax player, and Charlie Watts' love of the idiom may have gotten him the 1981 gig. Then there was the long dead period in the 1980s before they came to their senses and hit the road again with Keys, Fischer, and Fowler. Cindy Mizell also sang backup in 1989, but I don't think she was on any subsequent tours.

Bottom line, however, is that although he didn't make the big bucks, Bobby was a Rolling Stone, on stage and off. That being said, I'm sure he didn't have a problem keeping the water in the pool warm during the winter. Replacing him will be very difficult, if not impossible.

So again, let's celebrate the fact that we can listen to him any time we want, late at night in a comfortable chair and lights dimmed, on a multitude of iconic recordings.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 5, 2014 21:33

mr_dja
Interesting to see the two versions of Bobby's involvement in the Brown Sugar solo and how, though different stories, Bobby gives Mick credit for asking him to do it after hearing him play at Keith's party while Keith gives Bobby credit for suggesting it.

Copied from above:
Bobby's Version:
Can you talk about how the "Brown Sugar" solo came together?
That came together at Keith and my birthday party in England. I guess that would've been 1970 of 1971. Originally "Brown Sugar" had a guitar solo, Mick Taylor put a guitar solo on it. In fact, some of the very early pressings came out with the guitar solo on it. But there was a birthday party with me and Keith and Eric Clapton and George Harrison and Ringo and Keith Moon, a whole bunch of other people. And we started to have a jam session. I don't remember exactly what the process was now, but we ended up playing "Brown Sugar." And I just played that solo on it. And Jimmy Miller, who was there that night, and Mick said, "Can you do that again?" I said, "Hell, I don't know what I did then, but if I did it once I can do it again." I think we made a date – we didn't do it the night of the party, but I came back in and did the solo. It was the first take.

Keith's Version:
And then, of course, there's "Brown Sugar." There was that gap left in the track and we didn't know whether to put a guitar solo on. Bob said, "Look, let me have a bash." And it was obvious that it was the most perfect rock & roll solo. We all knew it once we heard it.

Pretty sure I don't care which version is accurate. Absolutely sure that I'm happy Bobby ended up on the track. So glad I got to hear him live a few times.

Peace,
Mr DJA

I don't think they actually contradict each other. Probably Bobby's version is more accurate by being more specific and everything, and Keith just interprets the happenings by his own terms - in that loose jam session that produced the 'birthday version' Bobby just made such a big impression that they decided that it suits to the song. Besides, Bobby doesn't remember "the process" either, who was suggesting to play the sax solo in the first place then, nor what he actually played originally...grinning smiley

But like said, what matters is the result, which is pure magic...

- Doxa

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 5, 2014 21:45

1969Fan
Bobby was a Rolling Stone, on stage and off

The fact that he was sacked mid-tour in 1973 goes to show he wasn't. I'm sure the violent eviction was a way for jagger to show him that.

But yeah he was great. I can't listen to the sax in "Sweet Virginia" without being deeply moved.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: December 5, 2014 21:47

I always thought Bobby was on all of the 1982 shows alongside Gene Barge ?

Check out the Leeds video of Going to a Go Go . Nice solo by Bobby and camera stays on him. Sorry I can't remember how to link it here.

I've listened to Exile 5 times today....he's all over it. Weaved into the "fabric" of the Stones sound on that album more than any other.

sc uk

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 5, 2014 21:51

straycatuk
I always thought Bobby was on all of the 1982 shows alongside Gene Barge ?

Check out the Leeds video of Going to a Go Go . Nice solo by Bobby and camera stays on him. Sorry I can't remember how to link it here.

I've listened to Exile 5 times today....he's all over it. Weaved into the "fabric" of the Stones sound on that album more than any other.

sc uk
Don't know about 82 but I saw about 10 shows in 81, all in the northeast US and as I recall Keys was there for Brown Sugar on every one (Ernie Watts, no relation, was the sax player for the rest of the show). Don;t recall him on HTW but I'm not arguing.

I remember that we all thought (this was pre internet ... "all" means the fans i spoke to) that simply nobody else could do justice to the BS solo, that's why keys was there (and guessed that maybe he wasn't up to doing the whole set or something like that).

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 14 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1361
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home