Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 15 of 18
Re: RIP Bobby Keys
Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: December 5, 2014 22:20

Rokyfan
straycatuk
I always thought Bobby was on all of the 1982 shows alongside Gene Barge ?

Check out the Leeds video of Going to a Go Go . Nice solo by Bobby and camera stays on him. Sorry I can't remember how to link it here.

I've listened to Exile 5 times today....he's all over it. Weaved into the "fabric" of the Stones sound on that album more than any other.

sc uk
Don't know about 82 but I saw about 10 shows in 81, all in the northeast US and as I recall Keys was there for Brown Sugar on every one (Ernie Watts, no relation, was the sax player for the rest of the show). Don;t recall him on HTW but I'm not arguing.

I remember that we all thought (this was pre internet ... "all" means the fans i spoke to) that simply nobody else could do justice to the BS solo, that's why keys was there (and guessed that maybe he wasn't up to doing the whole set or something like that).

Interesting. It sounded like Bobby was persona non grata from 1973 - 1989, and it wasn't until he suddenly 'appeared' with his horn (at Keith's urging) when they were rehearsing BS in Toronto, that Mick gave up and 'allowed' him back in. This is the first time I heard of him being on the 1981 shows. I have an old VHS of Hal Ashby's 'Let's Spend the Night Together' buried somewhere. I'll watch it. Wickipedia credits Stu, E Watts, and Ian McLagan as the 'additional musicians' in the film. No mention of Bobby.

'Life' and Every Night's A Saturday Night' seem to confirm Bobby not playing with them from 1973 - 1989. A mystery that I'm sure IORR will clear up. Rock On!

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 5, 2014 22:25

Rolling Stones Going to a go go Bobby Keys on sax
European tour 1982 Holland

video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: December 5, 2014 22:28

runaway

runaway...Again, I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. I stand corrected. Thanks!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 5, 2014 22:48

1969Fan
runaway

runaway...Again, I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. I stand corrected. Thanks!

Bobby's sax was definitely the best part of that. peace

Posted by: ride on baby ()
Date: December 6, 2014 01:04

RIP BOBBY KEYS
the music of your saxophone will stay forever

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 6, 2014 02:05

It's a bit hard to figure the "logistics" of the 1981/82 tours, surely they didn't have him tag along for just a couple of tunes? That's what he sort of implies in his book though. He also says it annoyed Mick that he gradually started playing more solos than just HTC and BS as the tour progressed because he could nail them better. A bit hard to figure out how that could happen when you see how "calibrated" the shows are these days, I guess they had no "musical director" at the time ;-)

dcba
1969Fan
Bobby was a Rolling Stone, on stage and off

The fact that he was sacked mid-tour in 1973 goes to show he wasn't. I'm sure the violent eviction was a way for jagger to show him that.

But yeah he was great. I can't listen to the sax in "Sweet Virginia" without being deeply moved.

What "fact" ?! Bobby himself says in his book that he quit with no notice because he was scared at what he'd become, particularly after nearly drowning his wife in a car accident in Holland when he was high.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 6, 2014 05:39

gotdablouse
It's a bit hard to figure the "logistics" of the 1981/82 tours, surely they didn't have him tag along for just a couple of tunes? That's what he sort of implies in his book though.

That's exactly what happened. As far as I know (i only saw east coast shows but they were separated by months) he played on the whole tour but just for one number (others say two numbers but i don't remember that). He was Keith's friend and he played the BS solo. It kind of made sense at the time.

Date: December 6, 2014 09:03

1969Fan
Rokyfan
straycatuk
I always thought Bobby was on all of the 1982 shows alongside Gene Barge ?

Check out the Leeds video of Going to a Go Go . Nice solo by Bobby and camera stays on him. Sorry I can't remember how to link it here.

I've listened to Exile 5 times today....he's all over it. Weaved into the "fabric" of the Stones sound on that album more than any other.

sc uk
Don't know about 82 but I saw about 10 shows in 81, all in the northeast US and as I recall Keys was there for Brown Sugar on every one (Ernie Watts, no relation, was the sax player for the rest of the show). Don;t recall him on HTW but I'm not arguing.

I remember that we all thought (this was pre internet ... "all" means the fans i spoke to) that simply nobody else could do justice to the BS solo, that's why keys was there (and guessed that maybe he wasn't up to doing the whole set or something like that).

Interesting. It sounded like Bobby was persona non grata from 1973 - 1989, and it wasn't until he suddenly 'appeared' with his horn (at Keith's urging) when they were rehearsing BS in Toronto, that Mick gave up and 'allowed' him back in. This is the first time I heard of him being on the 1981 shows. I have an old VHS of Hal Ashby's 'Let's Spend the Night Together' buried somewhere. I'll watch it. Wickipedia credits Stu, E Watts, and Ian McLagan as the 'additional musicians' in the film. No mention of Bobby.

'Life' and Every Night's A Saturday Night' seem to confirm Bobby not playing with them from 1973 - 1989. A mystery that I'm sure IORR will clear up. Rock On!

The " Complete Works " web-site has Keys rejoining on October 9th,1981 in Los Angeles after Lee Allen's brief stint in Rockford and Boulder ( x 2 ) ended. Then,for Seattle and San Francisco,Ernie Watts was the only sax player before Keys returned in Orlando on October 24th,1981 for the rest of the tour.

I believe that Keys played on " Miss You " and " Brown Sugar " in Los Angeles and then on " Let it Bleed " and " Brown Sugar " from October 24th onwards. Maybe " Honkey Tonk Women " as well. I am not sure on that.

It seems as though he may have gotten the " Mick Taylor 2012-2014 treatment " on songs which he ( Keys ) originally played on such as " All Down the Line " , " Let Me Go " , " Tumbling Dice " , " Star Star " , and " She's So Cold " .

Date: December 6, 2014 10:45

Rokyfan
gotdablouse
It's a bit hard to figure the "logistics" of the 1981/82 tours, surely they didn't have him tag along for just a couple of tunes? That's what he sort of implies in his book though.

That's exactly what happened. As far as I know (i only saw east coast shows but they were separated by months) he played on the whole tour but just for one number (others say two numbers but i don't remember that). He was Keith's friend and he played the BS solo. It kind of made sense at the time.

He didn't play the whole tour.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 6, 2014 11:38

gotdablouse

Bobby himself says in his book that he quit with no notice because he was scared at what he'd become, particularly after nearly drowning his wife in a car accident in Holland when he was high.

So he left his blood brother Keith with no sax player mid-tour. And you believe that?
I'd go with Nick Kent (who followed the 73 tour).
He says both Richards and Keys were devastated by the death of Gram Parsons cos they knew they were next. Kent also says he saw Bobby, destroyed with H, being put almost unconscious in a taxi and being driven to a German airport and sent (shipped?) back home.

He wasn't functional anymore as a musician so he was of little sue for the band so he had to leave (Keef's best friend or not).

And (cough cough) I don't think a hell-raiser like Keys would tour with his wife. That'd get in the way of things so to speak...

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 6, 2014 12:33

DandelionPowderman
Rokyfan
gotdablouse

What dates did he play on / not play on? Most of the tour? Did he just miss a few dates? I know I saw the two openers in Philadelphia and shows a few months later in Nov/Dec. I recall him at all just for BS, but my memory could clearly be wrong

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 6, 2014 12:59

dcba
I'd go with Nick Kent (who followed the 73 tour).

Nick Kent is the source of more crap myths about the Stones than anyone else. You couldn't choose a less reliable source. And he's mean on top of it.

Love and light to Bobby and Mac, and thanks and praises, for good.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 6, 2014 14:18

Yeah "dcba" do yourself a favor and read Bobby's book rather than believe everything written by Nick Kent who's probably not much more reliable than Tony Sanchez at the end of the day, unfortunately.

It's a good thing Bobby got to write his book in due time, a bit like Prince Ruppert...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: fela ()
Date: December 6, 2014 16:10

We always rehearse Ventilator Blues.It's a fabulous number, but a bit of a tricky one. Bobby Keys wrote the rhythm part,
which is the clever part of the song. Bobby said, Why don't you do this? and I said, I can't play that,
so Bobby stood next to clapping the thing and I just followed his timing. In the world of Take Five,
it's nothing, but it threw me completely and Bobby just stood there and clapped
while we were doing the track - and we've never quite got it together as well as that.
- Charlie Watts, 2003

commentary from [www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 6, 2014 17:57

My thoughts & prayers go out to both the Keys & McLagan Families & extended loved ones. As both a Stones & Faces fan, it is a miracle to have walked the same earth as these genuine and gifted human beings.

If this video interview of Bobby has already been posted, please excuse me.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: December 6, 2014 18:58

"when they were rehearsing BS in Toronto, that Mick gave up and 'allowed' him back in"

The full scale tour rehearsals for Steel Wheels were held at Nassau Coliseum on Long Island. Early rehearsals were held at Wykeham Rise School for Girls in Connecticut. No rehearsals in Toronto to my knowledge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-06 19:05 by mnewman505.

Date: December 6, 2014 19:08

Rokyfan
DandelionPowderman
Rokyfan
gotdablouse

What dates did he play on / not play on? Most of the tour? Did he just miss a few dates? I know I saw the two openers in Philadelphia and shows a few months later in Nov/Dec. I recall him at all just for BS, but my memory could clearly be wrong

I just posted the following info :

" The " Complete Works " web-site has Keys rejoining on October 9th,1981 in Los Angeles after Lee Allen's brief stint in Rockford and Boulder ( x 2 ) ended. Then,for Seattle and San Francisco,Ernie Watts was the only sax player before Keys returned in Orlando on October 24th,1981 for the rest of the tour.

I believe that Keys played on " Miss You " and " Brown Sugar " in Los Angeles and then on " Let it Bleed " and " Brown Sugar " from October 24th onwards. Maybe " Honkey Tonk Women " as well. I am not sure on that.

It seems as though he may have gotten the " Mick Taylor 2012-2014 treatment " on songs which he ( Keys ) originally played on such as " All Down the Line " , " Let Me Go " , " Tumbling Dice " , " Star Star " , and " She's So Cold " . "

So,I don't think that he played in Philadelphia but,he did play with the Stones in both November and December ( as well as part of October ) .

It is probably easier to list the 1981 concerts in which he was not involved : Philadelphia , Buffalo , Rockford , Boulder , San Diego , Seattle , and San Francisco .

Date: December 6, 2014 22:11

mnewman505
"when they were rehearsing BS in Toronto, that Mick gave up and 'allowed' him back in"

The full scale tour rehearsals for Steel Wheels were held at Nassau Coliseum on Long Island. Early rehearsals were held at Wykeham Rise School for Girls in Connecticut. No rehearsals in Toronto to my knowledge.

I beleive you're right about CT instead of Toronto. I think they played their 'rehearsal wrap' in front of a small audience in a New Haven club (Frog's?). Maybe around 300 people. Am I close?

The 1973 - 1989 period seems to be a confusing time. At least for me. Maybe a bit too many excesses. What do they say? If you remember what happened, you probably weren't having a good time?

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 7, 2014 01:48

Bobby Bobby Bobby @ 2:16...enjoy

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: December 7, 2014 02:49

Nice!

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 7, 2014 03:05

shadooby

Thanks.Great!
Talk Is Cheap indeed. Bobby Keys blowed superb, no words needed.
Mick Taylor is on the album version by the way!

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: December 7, 2014 03:20

RipThisBone
shadooby

Thanks.Great!

Beautiful! "Bobby, Bobby, Bobby!!!"

Well hung, friend of mine
He's size 8 -I'm size 9
Sucks my dick
I'm gonna get a lick from you

(Well, that's what it sounds like to me anyway! I'm sure I'm wrong.)

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: December 7, 2014 10:33

rocker1
RipThisBone
shadooby

Thanks.Great!

Beautiful! "Bobby, Bobby, Bobby!!!"

Well hung, friend of mine
He's size 8 -I'm size 9

Sucks my dick
I'm gonna get a lick from you

(Well, that's what it sounds like to me anyway! I'm sure I'm wrong.)

Well hung friend of mine
He's size 8, I'm size 9
Shucks my dear
I'm going to get a lick from you

Posted by: UnpurePurist ()
Date: December 7, 2014 16:20

runaway

thumbs up

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: December 7, 2014 16:30

Just checked out IORR for first time in a few weeks - and saw this sad news. sad smiley

RIP Bobby and condolences to his loved ones.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 7, 2014 16:40

UnpurePurist
runaway

thumbs up

thanks, I attended 2 of the 3 great sold out concerts in Rotterdam in 1982.
Some great days with great openers as well.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: December 7, 2014 19:55

I think Bobby Would be quite pleased that most headlines identify him as "Rolling Stones saxophonist" The New York Times, USA Today, pretty much all the major publications in the States identify him as a part of the band.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: December 7, 2014 20:05

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 8, 2014 10:28

Any news on the funeral, BTW?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 8, 2014 21:46

RoughJusticeOnYa
Any news on the funeral, BTW?

Not our business, right?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 15 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2228
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home