Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT: 2015 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees
Posted by: winter ()
Date: October 10, 2014 07:51

RomanCandle
The Smiths 5.55%?
is it a joke?

I know, right? Kraftwerk only getting a half-percentage point more than Chic is criminal!! However, given the general complaints over the years about notable snubs and loose definitions of what's HoF material, I guess we've learned by now that decisions/votes from the HoF give us high blood pressure and should be kept at arm's length, haha.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 10, 2014 07:55

RomanCandle
The Smiths 5.55%?
is it a joke?

That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 10, 2014 08:32

Talking of percentage points, I shudder to think that there are people who actually think that in his solo career Stink has done anything as lasting and iconic as Walk On The Wild Side.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 10, 2014 09:30

War with original member Lee Oskar on Harmonica and Vocal smiling smiley

I got a handful of Lee Oskar Harmonicas at home I can tell...

btw isn't The Animals in that club? talking Eric Burdon...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 10, 2014 09:46

The band was originally named Eric Burdon and War and he was the singer for the first two albums. They even covered Paint It Black. I wonder if he'll join them for the induction ceremony if they get in. Of note, Eric Burdon and War featured the last ever public performance by Jimi Hendrix, who joined them onstage for 35 minutes at Ronnie Scott's in London on September 16, 1970.

Here's the performance where the guest spot of Hendrix with Eric Burdon and War can be heard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-10 10:00 by stonehearted.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 10, 2014 10:12

StonesCat
Like I say every year, call the Hall some type of Music Hall of Fame, just so we don't have to hear who's RnR and who isn't. NWA isn't rock, I get it by now.
That'd be fine. But until they do, the complaints are genuine. They've ruined the Hall anyway. The name should be long changed. But sorry, the place was built always as an exclusive place for the best of the best. Around 2000, they became VERY lenient with that and its now just a total crapshoot. Again, people go in now either because there's no one left or they are the best of a bad situation. It never should have been yearly, but in the end Rock And Roll is in the title. Its meant to be just for that. Until they change that, I'll continue to argue about it.

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: October 10, 2014 10:45

The Smiths changed my life. Maybe growing up in the UK in the 80's was a part of that. Morrissey and Marr were my voice , along with the Stones, The Jam and countless others who had something to say.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: October 10, 2014 11:07

Cristiano Radtke
RomanCandle
The Smiths 5.55%?
is it a joke?

That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

winking smiley

Meat is Murder was the first Smiths album I bought... excellent.

Posted by: Merritt ()
Date: October 10, 2014 15:52

Bad company? The cars?

Date: October 10, 2014 16:08

A Hall of Fame that fails to include BLUE OYSTER CULT is a bit of a joke, don't you think?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 10, 2014 16:21

Cheap Trick!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 10, 2014 16:39

Jethro Tull?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 10, 2014 17:16

keefriffhard4life
why don't you think SRV should be in? muddy waters, bb king, howlin wolf, etc are all in

I feel badly that I've been so misunderstood in this thread... That first post of mine didn't explain well enough and attempts since keep failing... Although I'm starting to fear my own redundancy, I'll try again... It is a kinda fun conversation that's developing here this year...

I think the biggest problem in my explinations to y'all is the fact that I've ended up talking about what has ended up being an "idealistic" rock & roll hall of fame as opposed to the real one that exists in Cleveland and has become more of a pop music hall of fame (aka Jan Werner's hall of personal favorites).

To answer the question quoted above directly: Based on that argument, I would agree that SRV should be in the Cleveland Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. In my idealistic R&RHOF, I'd probably have Muddy in there but not so sure about BB & Wolf. Possibly Wolf but probably not BB (although he’d be in my list of MVP’s at the Blues HOF).

winter
I don't get the folks on here thinking SRV is somehow not R&R HoF-worthy. He dressed R&R, he lived R&R and his cover of Voodoo Child alone makes him worthy even under a stricter definition (i.e. -no pop, rap, techno, country, blues), wouldn't ya say?

Thanks for saying “folks” as opposed to pointing a finger straight at me smileys with beer In no way do I think SRV is unworthy of HOF status. I’m actually loving the numbers you posted which show that the public is currently trending w/ SRV at #1. I didn’t know the public could vote. Compared to many previous inductees, SRV is almost necessary for legitimacy. While your clothes and life arguments would fall on deaf ears when trying to sway my vote, there’s a good chance that you could use the Voodoo Child argument to great effect in getting me to put SRV in the DJAR&RHOF.

StonesCat
Like I say every year, call the Hall some type of Music Hall of Fame, just so we don't have to hear who's RnR and who isn't. NWA isn't rock, I get it by now.

RollingFreak
That'd be fine. But until they do, the complaints are genuine. They've ruined the Hall anyway. The name should be long changed. But sorry, the place was built always as an exclusive place for the best of the best. Around 2000, they became VERY lenient with that and it’s now just a total crapshoot. Again, people go in now either because there's no one left or they are the best of a bad situation. It never should have been yearly, but in the end Rock And Roll is in the title. It’s meant to be just for that. Until they change that, I'll continue to argue about it.

The two posts above probably illustrate the reasons I’m struggling to explain my thought better than I could do/have done thus far. My initial post where I said I’d put SRV in a blues HOF but probably not in a R&RHOF has more to do with me taking an idealistic view as opposed a realistic. Paraphrasing Rolling Freak: people (seem to) go in now either because there's no one left or they are the best of a bad situation… in the end Rock And Roll is in the title.

Thanks to all for not throwing me under the bus while raking me over the coals. Also thanks to those who wrote thoughts similar to one’s I have better than I could have done. I appreciate the dialogue. In the future I’ll try to do a better job articulating the differences between MrDJA’s ideal R&RHOF vs. Jan Werner’s Hall of Personal Favorites.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Ironic footnote: I googled “rock and roll hall of fame vote” and tried to vote at the “rollingstone.com” website.

Forbidden (403)
CSRF verification failed. Request aborted.

was the message I received… If I didn’t know how tight my company’s IT security was I might have thought that Mr. Wenrer was holding this conversation against me! My ballot: Joan Jett, Lou Reed & Stevie Ray Vaughan… Like I said, considering previous (and most likely future) inductees, Mr Werner’s R&RHOF almost NEEDS SRV in it for legitimacy.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: October 10, 2014 17:34

The RRHOF has become a microcosm of modern America. Everybody wins. Everyone gets a blue ribbon.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 10, 2014 17:53

I'm boycotting the Hall of Fame until the Herman's Hermits are inducted.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 10, 2014 17:57

71Tele

there'd be a kind of hush all over the world if that happened.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: October 10, 2014 18:00

Lou reed was not in yet ????!!!!

Re: OT: This Year's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees
Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: October 10, 2014 21:18

treaclefingers
Unfathomable that Lou Reed isn't already in there. Obviously must be through Velvet Underground.

It is pretty amazing he isn't in as a solo artist. Just listened to his entire catalog. From New York on he was particularly strong. No one did what Lou did.

Re: OT: This Year's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 10, 2014 22:03

stewedandkeefed
treaclefingers
Unfathomable that Lou Reed isn't already in there. Obviously must be through Velvet Underground.

It is pretty amazing he isn't in as a solo artist. Just listened to his entire catalog. From New York on he was particularly strong. No one did what Lou did.

Yeah, that was my reaction. I had no idea. I just assumed he was inducted years ago.
That's very surprising. And to think, Madonna got in a few years ago. I mean, I like Madge's early songs, but you really do realize that a lot of this is schmooze-induced.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 11, 2014 05:29

Besides SRV and Lou Reed I think all the candidates are pretty weak. Basically the more questionable people they let into the Hall the more diluted and less important it becomes to me.

Unfortunately, Rock and Roll seems to be a diminishing art form so maybe they should reduce the amount of inductees proportionally...... peace

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: October 11, 2014 10:02

The Marvelettes were the best. Beachwood 45789, Don't Mess with Bill, Please Mr. Postman. This was great music before rock n roll had to mean something. Lou Reed, sure, but for albums like Coney Island Baby with I'm Just a Gift to the Women of the World and Ooh Baby Ooh. Fun stuff.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: October 11, 2014 10:37

Naturalust
Besides SRV and Lou Reed I think all the candidates are pretty weak. Basically the more questionable people they let into the Hall the more diluted and less important it becomes to me.

Unfortunately, Rock and Roll seems to be a diminishing art form so maybe they should reduce the amount of inductees proportionally...... peace

were Kraftwerk and the Smiths WEAK ? eye popping smiley

Date: October 11, 2014 12:30

he just passed, maybe they should have put in johnny winter finally

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 11, 2014 17:17

It is so water down now the hall. Its Like the legends and the good

Date: October 11, 2014 17:52

black n blue

More like the legends, the good, and the mediocre. Someday, everyone who ever had a record on the charts will be in there .... except the Moody Blues .... they still won't be in. grinning smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 11, 2014 18:24

tatters
black n blue

More like the legends, the good, and the mediocre. Someday, everyone who ever had a record on the charts will be in there .... except the Moody Blues .... they still won't be in. grinning smiley

Any idea why the Moody Blues are not in?

Date: October 11, 2014 18:27

More Hot Rocks
tatters
black n blue

Any idea why the Moody Blues are not in?

The Hall just doesn't like anything that smacks of Prog. It took Genesis forever to get in. It even took Pink Floyd several years after they became eligible.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 11, 2014 19:42

Nine inch nails please! Next will be marlyn Manson

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 11, 2014 20:07

treaclefingers
71Tele

there'd be a kind of hush all over the world if that happened.

... and there would be no milk today.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 12, 2014 00:14

How many go in?

My top 5 selections:

1. Lou Reed
2. The Spinners
3. The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
4. Bill Withers
5. The Marvelettes

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1413
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home