Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: 2015 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 12, 2014 00:18

More Hot Rocks
tatters
black n blue
It is so water down now the hall. Its Like the legends and the good

More like the legends, the good, and the mediocre. Someday, everyone who ever had a record on the charts will be in there .... except the Moody Blues .... they still won't be in. grinning smiley

Any idea why the Moody Blues are not in?

Because there are to Moody grinning smiley....................no your right...........

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 13, 2014 15:53

Nine Inch Nails 25.19%
Stevie Ray Vaughan 21.65%
Kraftwerk 12.34%
Green Day 8.81%
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts 5.33%
Bill Withers 4.37%
Lou Reed 4.31%
The Smiths 3.85%
Sting 3.19%
N.W.A 2.55%
The Paul Butterfield Blues Band 2.54%
War 1.99%
The Spinners 1.41%
The Marvelettes 1.38%
Chic 1.09%

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: October 13, 2014 17:54

black n blue
More Hot Rocks
Nothing against The Spinners but what about other top 40 bands like Three Dog Night and The Guess Who?

I swear they use a dart board

I think you are giving them too much credit.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 13, 2014 19:04

The Blues had a baby and they named it Rock and Roll. It's all good...

mr_dja
keefriffhard4life
why don't you think SRV should be in? muddy waters, bb king, howlin wolf, etc are all in

I feel badly that I've been so misunderstood in this thread... That first post of mine didn't explain well enough and attempts since keep failing... Although I'm starting to fear my own redundancy, I'll try again... It is a kinda fun conversation that's developing here this year...

I think the biggest problem in my explinations to y'all is the fact that I've ended up talking about what has ended up being an "idealistic" rock & roll hall of fame as opposed to the real one that exists in Cleveland and has become more of a pop music hall of fame (aka Jan Werner's hall of personal favorites).

To answer the question quoted above directly: Based on that argument, I would agree that SRV should be in the Cleveland Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. In my idealistic R&RHOF, I'd probably have Muddy in there but not so sure about BB & Wolf. Possibly Wolf but probably not BB (although he’d be in my list of MVP’s at the Blues HOF).

winter
I don't get the folks on here thinking SRV is somehow not R&R HoF-worthy. He dressed R&R, he lived R&R and his cover of Voodoo Child alone makes him worthy even under a stricter definition (i.e. -no pop, rap, techno, country, blues), wouldn't ya say?

Thanks for saying “folks” as opposed to pointing a finger straight at me smileys with beer In no way do I think SRV is unworthy of HOF status. I’m actually loving the numbers you posted which show that the public is currently trending w/ SRV at #1. I didn’t know the public could vote. Compared to many previous inductees, SRV is almost necessary for legitimacy. While your clothes and life arguments would fall on deaf ears when trying to sway my vote, there’s a good chance that you could use the Voodoo Child argument to great effect in getting me to put SRV in the DJAR&RHOF.

StonesCat
Like I say every year, call the Hall some type of Music Hall of Fame, just so we don't have to hear who's RnR and who isn't. NWA isn't rock, I get it by now.

RollingFreak
That'd be fine. But until they do, the complaints are genuine. They've ruined the Hall anyway. The name should be long changed. But sorry, the place was built always as an exclusive place for the best of the best. Around 2000, they became VERY lenient with that and it’s now just a total crapshoot. Again, people go in now either because there's no one left or they are the best of a bad situation. It never should have been yearly, but in the end Rock And Roll is in the title. It’s meant to be just for that. Until they change that, I'll continue to argue about it.

The two posts above probably illustrate the reasons I’m struggling to explain my thought better than I could do/have done thus far. My initial post where I said I’d put SRV in a blues HOF but probably not in a R&RHOF has more to do with me taking an idealistic view as opposed a realistic. Paraphrasing Rolling Freak: people (seem to) go in now either because there's no one left or they are the best of a bad situation… in the end Rock And Roll is in the title.

Thanks to all for not throwing me under the bus while raking me over the coals. Also thanks to those who wrote thoughts similar to one’s I have better than I could have done. I appreciate the dialogue. In the future I’ll try to do a better job articulating the differences between MrDJA’s ideal R&RHOF vs. Jan Werner’s Hall of Personal Favorites.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Ironic footnote: I googled “rock and roll hall of fame vote” and tried to vote at the “rollingstone.com” website.

Forbidden (403)
CSRF verification failed. Request aborted.

was the message I received… If I didn’t know how tight my company’s IT security was I might have thought that Mr. Wenrer was holding this conversation against me! My ballot: Joan Jett, Lou Reed & Stevie Ray Vaughan… Like I said, considering previous (and most likely future) inductees, Mr Werner’s R&RHOF almost NEEDS SRV in it for legitimacy.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 14, 2014 04:59

RomanCandle
Naturalust
Besides SRV and Lou Reed I think all the candidates are pretty weak. Basically the more questionable people they let into the Hall the more diluted and less important it becomes to me.

Unfortunately, Rock and Roll seems to be a diminishing art form so maybe they should reduce the amount of inductees proportionally...... peace

were Kraftwerk and the Smiths WEAK ? eye popping smiley

Yep. To me they were definitely weak by Rock and Roll definition. peace

Date: October 14, 2014 12:33

tatters
Lou Reed
Sting
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
War
Stevie Ray Vaughan
The Marvelettes
The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
The Spinners
Green Day
Nine Inch Nails
Chic
N.W.A.
The Smiths
Kraftwerk
Bill Withers .

I would pick

Lou Reed - absolutely; he deserves it for both - VU and solo.

Stevie Ray - also a no brainer for me

Smiths - I myself was never a fan; not at all, but I think their imoact and influence was massive. Morrissey stood for so much, and Johnny Marr was perfect for him.

Chic- I thought they were already in. Pioneers; Rodgers and Edwards rule

Kraftwerk - I think this one my be the most definite choice for me. Truly original in their time, and they changed so much; incredibly influential

NWA - again, not a hige fan, but can anyone deny their impact still to this day?

War - maybe, just not sure if their output was that strong

Spinners - like the Marvelettes, one of those two might get inducted , and I would choose Spinners between those two names

Joan Jett - big fan here, but IMO it is the Runaways who should get the call up

Bill Withers, Paul BUtterfield Blues Band - they have a few hits, strong musicianship; but... not sexy enough. How many more times do I have to hear "Use me" and "Sunshine"?

NIN - hmm, yes. I just wonder if it should be Trent Reznor who gets inducted officially. deep body of work.

Sting - ugh. OK, the Police deserved it on the first go-around; no brainer. But Sting? One of the most self inflated solo careers ever

Green Day - I am like ; really? Seriously? I respect that Billy Armstrong has reakky honed his craft; he has grown immensely as a writer. I just can't stand them.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 14, 2014 12:46

Palace Revolution 2000
tatters
Lou Reed
Sting
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
War
Stevie Ray Vaughan
The Marvelettes
The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
The Spinners
Green Day
Nine Inch Nails
Chic
N.W.A.
The Smiths
Kraftwerk
Bill Withers .

I would pick

Lou Reed - absolutely; he deserves it for both - VU and solo.

Stevie Ray - also a no brainer for me

Smiths - I myself was never a fan; not at all, but I think their imoact and influence was massive. Morrissey stood for so much, and Johnny Marr was perfect for him.

Chic- I thought they were already in. Pioneers; Rodgers and Edwards rule

Kraftwerk - I think this one my be the most definite choice for me. Truly original in their time, and they changed so much; incredibly influential

NWA - again, not a hige fan, but can anyone deny their impact still to this day?

War - maybe, just not sure if their output was that strong

Spinners - like the Marvelettes, one of those two might get inducted , and I would choose Spinners between those two names

Joan Jett - big fan here, but IMO it is the Runaways who should get the call up

Bill Withers, Paul BUtterfield Blues Band - they have a few hits, strong musicianship; but... not sexy enough. How many more times do I have to hear "Use me" and "Sunshine"?

NIN - hmm, yes. I just wonder if it should be Trent Reznor who gets inducted officially. deep body of work.

Sting - ugh. OK, the Police deserved it on the first go-around; no brainer. But Sting? One of the most self inflated solo careers ever

Green Day - I am like ; really? Seriously? I respect that Billy Armstrong has reakky honed his craft; he has grown immensely as a writer. I just can't stand them.

"American Idiot" was brilliant.

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: October 14, 2014 21:45

This HOF is getting comical. Who even knows what the criteria is? Joan Jett lol. SRV is one of my favorites of all time but shouldn't he be in a blues HOF? I can't say I pay close attention but The Guess Who should be in for sure. Is Rush in?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 14, 2014 21:48

Sooon to be nominated...

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 14, 2014 21:55

mr_dja
I feel badly that I've been so misunderstood in this thread...

I am finally getting to read this thread, and fwiw, I haven't misunderstood your posts at all.
I've been nodding in agreement as I read along, and also appreciating your humor and writing style.

Now back to reading the rest of this thread, and maybe contributing.

- swiss

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 14, 2014 22:02

Thanks swiss! Nice to hear that I'm not confusing everyone and that some actually think along the same lines as I do!

smileys with beer

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 14, 2014 22:05

My theory is that they should change their brand to Pop & Rock Hall of Fame. I'm serious. This would
remove most of the questions about who's in it. The Spinners were fabulous! I love NWA. Bill Withers
is lovely. But they don't scream rock to me. Adore the Smiths. Bow down to Kraftwerk. But they're
influencers on rock -- they should be recognized in their own right in terms of impact on culture and
popular music...not "rock," per se.

Here are my 5 (I don't like SRV, didn't vote for him, but do think he should be in):

Lou Reed
War
NIN
Smiths
Kraftwerk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-14 22:12 by swiss.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: October 14, 2014 23:25

Horrific list. This is NOT the Rock N Rock hall of fame, that's for sure. The Stones should have refused to show up

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 14, 2014 23:48

mr_dja
Thanks swiss! Nice to hear that I'm not confusing everyone and that some actually think along the same lines as I do!

smileys with beer

Peace,
Mr DJA

I followed you clearly Mr DJA, no confusion here. But, I'd rather have members like BB King and Howlin' Wolf primarily because they strongly influenced what became the Rock and Roll we all know and love. The influences deserve to be in there much more than some of the questionable artists which have been nominated and inducted so far.

Like I've said before they need to be a lot more picky for the Hall to have any meaning.

As far as SRV goes, yeah he played the blues but he rocked them HARD and as far as I'm concerned he is plenty Rock and Roll enough to be included. peace

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 15, 2014 00:32

just throwing in my 2 cents...

...instead of getting into it, I will just say I am in agreement with Naturalust's posts on this thread (so far)

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 15, 2014 00:35

2000man
All of today's popular music can trace it's DNA back to either Chuck Berry or Kraftwerk, and yet the latter is still waiting to be inducted...

Zey are not Amerikan!

Green Day? confused smiley Open the door for them then you'll let Rancid or Nickleback in!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-15 00:37 by dcba.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 15, 2014 00:41

Naturalust
Besides SRV and Lou Reed I think all the candidates are pretty weak.

NIN/Trent Reznor is quite good even if he hasn't penned a decent song in a decade (2005 "With Teeth" album).

Otoh a guy like SRV hasn't penned a single song (good or abd) in over 25 years.
Wonder what the bugger's been up to... smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-15 00:42 by dcba.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 15, 2014 00:51

OK, so I asked an old friend (and former drummer in one of my bands) what he thought of this list...

...his first comment was "Kraftwerk? You've got to be kidding? A one hit wonder that has a song about having fun on the Autobahn? That's Hall of Fame material?"

I laughed, but he was serious....but then again, he thought the Byrds were an English band. (I never allowed him to have a mic at out gigs because he would always say something real stupid, but he was a great drummer...still is).

Date: December 13, 2014 06:09

Final tally for the fan voting

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble 31.04% (18,331,552 votes)
Nine Inch Nails 22.20% (13,114,454 votes)
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts 15.08% (8,907,063 votes)
Bill Withers 6.49% (3,830,589 votes)
The Paul Butterfield Blues Band 6.25% (3,692,968 votes)
Lou Reed 5.28% (3,121,380 votes)
War 2.67% (1,575,412 votes)
Green Day 2.59% (1,527,138 votes)
Sting 1.75% (1,034,510 votes)
N.W.A 1.29% (761,395 votes)
Kraftwerk 1.15% (682,002 votes)
The Smiths 1.12% (662,229 votes)
The Spinners 1.12% (661,758 votes)
The Marvelettes 0.98% (580,523 votes)
Chic 0.98% (578,506 votes)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-13 06:11 by tatters.

Date: December 13, 2014 08:46

so SRV is in then?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 13, 2014 12:24

<<Final tally for the fan voting>>

So, Joan Jett who had one big hit in the eighties gets three times as many votes as Lou Reed... I know, who had only one big hit in the seventies... oh, never mind.

And Bill Withers who had one (maybe two) vague, light-weight radio hit in the seventies gets more votes than the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, who heavily influenced such bands as the Doors and Santana and had Mike Bloomfield ('Dylan Goes Electric!') playing on one of their albums... oh, fah frig sakes.

Shouldn't the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" finally--just once--be left up to band voting? I mean, by musicians who are actually in bands?

Oh, never mind, fah frig sakes.

Posted by: Stoner72 ()
Date: December 13, 2014 15:17

The Spinners
The Smiths
Kraftwerk
Lou Reed
Stevie Ray Vaughan

(Joan Jett???? Seriously? Does every one-hit wonder get nominated? Then where's Andy Kim? Sammy Johns? And Kiki Dee? Putrid. Well and truly putrid.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-13 15:18 by Stoner72.

Date: December 13, 2014 15:27

More Hot Rocks
Nothing against The Spinners but what about other top 40 bands like Three Dog Night and The Guess Who?

I didn't know that having R&B singles which transcended their genre and appealed to white audiences as well was a crime!

Furthermore, what do you make of the, um, Rolling Stones and their top 40 singles?

Thank you for your edification.

Date: December 13, 2014 15:31

I, too, have never understood the fascination some people have with Joan Jett. I think she's one of the worst singers I've ever heard, with a truly unpleasant-sounding voice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-13 15:31 by tatters.

Date: December 13, 2014 15:44

tatters
I, too, have never understood the fascination some people have with Joan Jett. I think she's one of the worst singers I've ever heard, with a truly unpleasant-sounding voice.

I'll say this: her bellowing on "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" kind of fit anthemic ambitions of the song, but beyond that, her voice was pretty insufferable.

More than anything, this is a political choice.

Date: December 13, 2014 17:33

Stoner72
tatters

I'll say this: her bellowing on "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" kind of fit anthemic ambitions of the song, but beyond that, her voice was pretty insufferable.

More than anything, this is a political choice.

Well, they always try to induct people who have been "influential," but I don't think little girls pick up the guitar because they want to be Joan Jett. I think they pick up the guitar because they want to be Jimmy Page.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-13 17:44 by tatters.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 13, 2014 20:20

Listen, I'm not a Joan Jett fan, but the bottom line is she is a pretty big influence. Especially to women, which the Hall is insanely low on. I like women like Kiki Dee too, but she's not really rock. Joan Jett actually fits the bill and I swear she plays at all the Rock Hall's events (Dave Clark Five induction, with Nirvana last year) that I'm SHOCKED she was passed over. Usually campaigning and playing those functions (which is I assume the reason she does it) gets you in. Very odd, and I'd prefer her to The Spinners and Kraftwerk, which are just stupid IMO.

I'm happy Sting didn't get in. I thought he was a lock just due to popularity, and he deserves to be in for the Police, but solo isn't my taste. Shocked that Green Day isn't going in. They seemed like the GNR or Nirvana of this year of the obvious act that going in because they're "semi-current".

Date: December 13, 2014 20:23

RollingFreak

I'm happy Sting didn't get in. I thought he was a lock just due to popularity, and he deserves to be in for the Police, but solo isn't my taste. Shocked that Green Day isn't going in. They seemed like the GNR or Nirvana of this year of the obvious act that going in because they're "semi-current".

We don't know who's getting in and who's not getting in. This is just the fan vote. It plays a part in determining who gets in, but it's not binding. Safe to say SRV is a lock, but beyond that it's anybody's guess.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-13 20:27 by tatters.

Date: December 13, 2014 20:24

RollingFreak
Listen, I'm not a Joan Jett fan, but the bottom line is she is a pretty big influence...and Kraftwerk, which are just stupid IMO.

So....Joan Jett is an influence but Kraftwerk is "just stupid"? Hmmmm. I'll have to think about that one.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 13, 2014 20:39

tatters
RollingFreak

We don't know who's getting in and who's not getting in. This is just the fan vote. It plays a part in determining who gets in, but it's not binding. Safe to say SRV is a lock, but beyond that it's anybody's guess.

Ah, I thought that was the official list. I'd say, at least it should be, Lou Reed is also a lock as well.

Stoner72
RollingFreak
Listen, I'm not a Joan Jett fan, but the bottom line is she is a pretty big influence...and Kraftwerk, which are just stupid IMO.

So....Joan Jett is an influence but Kraftwerk is "just stupid"? Hmmmm. I'll have to think about that one.

Jesus, this is why you have to hate the internet. No. I think Joan Jett fits into the "rock" criteria whereas I've never heard Kraftwerk described as that. I don't think their music is stupid. I don't know anything about their music except it being mainly electronic. I just think their inclusion in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame is beyond ridiculous.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1753
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home