Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: What is the most overrated stones album?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 3, 2014 19:46

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Goats Head Soup

giddy up

It's a good album, but when fans are placing it up there with the "big four", what are they doing? ....rating (fill in).

It's an alright album, but it's an incredible tumble from Exile.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 3, 2014 19:51

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Goats Head Soup

giddy up

It's a good album, but when fans are placing it up there with the "big four", what are they doing? ....rating (fill in).

The beauty of Exile is that it seems so effortless. It feels as if it totally came from the heart, not calculated in any way and an album that magically took on a greater shape and significance without there ever being an end product envisaged or cash registers to fill.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 3, 2014 20:04

stonehearted
"Best foot forward" as they say. If Exile is supposed to be the all-time classic Stones album, then this is the recording they would want for the beginning listener to hear first, isn't it? But instead, aside from Tumbling Dice and Happy, Exile has been largely overlooked in terms of both vehicles that tend to reach the beginning listener first--compilation albums and concert set lists.

To that point of view, I would like to make a mild objection. I think that EXILE ON MAIN STREET may be a quite demanding album, sometimes even for a trained Stones listener. One will not spontaneously be charmed. You therefore need some background in Rolling Stones music, I guess, to be able to take it in. That is then not where you start, but rather where you probably arrive late in a tentative presentation over time to a listener that has not grown into the Rolling Stones musical universe. First then, he or she might learn to appreciate it.

Date: September 3, 2014 20:07

Silver Dagger
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Goats Head Soup

giddy up

The beauty of Exile is that it seems so effortless. It feels as if it totally came from the heart, not calculated in any way and an album that magically took on a greater shape and significance without there ever being an end product envisaged or cash registers to fill.

A very good description.

Date: September 3, 2014 20:11

Witness
stonehearted
"Best foot forward" as they say. If Exile is supposed to be the all-time classic Stones album, then this is the recording they would want for the beginning listener to hear first, isn't it? But instead, aside from Tumbling Dice and Happy, Exile has been largely overlooked in terms of both vehicles that tend to reach the beginning listener first--compilation albums and concert set lists.

To that point of view, I would like to make a mild objection. I think that EXILE ON MAIN STREET may be a quite demanding album, sometimes even for a trained Stones listener. One will not spontaneously be charmed. You therefore need some background in Rolling Stones music, I guess, to be able to take it in. That is then not where you start, but rather where you probably arrive late in a tentative presentation over time to a listener that has not grown into the Rolling Stones musical universe. First then, he or she might learn to appreciate it.

And that's exactly what makes it such an enduring and great listen. It does not give up its secrets too soon. I remember one year on and still not being able to fathom the whole album.

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: September 3, 2014 20:23

Don't really understand why people think Goats Head is overratedsad smiley Just think it needs a lot of listening to. Winter is Mick at his best just perfectsmiling smiley

John Nicholls

Date: September 3, 2014 20:44

john nicholls
Don't really understand why people think Goats Head is overratedsad smiley Just think it needs a lot of listening to. Winter is Mick at his best just perfectsmiling smiley

John Nicholls

Don't be sad...we may disagree, but we still like you.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: September 3, 2014 20:51

The only real candidates are the big 4, Aftermath, Some Girls, and Tattoo You. Besides those, no other album has near universal love, in or out of the Stones fan universe. Unless you want to argue that one with an average perception is just terrible.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 3, 2014 21:46

StonesCat
The only real candidates are the big 4, Aftermath, Some Girls, and Tattoo You. Besides those, no other album has near universal love, in or out of the Stones fan universe. Unless you want to argue that one with an average perception is just terrible.

In case, it is a little strange that you did not include their debut album.

Now you smoked me out. I thought that I should let it be. I don't want to be tiresome and repeat myself too much. However, I regard as strange to find TATTOO YOU in a list of near universal love, even if I to my surprise much earlier have found that to be the attitude on Tell Me. I really wonder if it is so also among fans outside Tell Me.

There is in fact one concluding song on that album that I love outright. There are a few others that I quite like. But without further reasons, there is something about the whole and even a few not so impressing songs that to me makes this the most overrated album by the Stones, when it it is here held forth as that great album. From the same period, it ought to have been EMOTIONAL RESCUE and most of all UNDERCOVER even more than SOME GIRLS, which should have been seen as great. And I have for rather long considered it as fatal for the career development of the Stones that UNDERCOVER did not gain a much more favourable reception. For my intuition is that the Stones then might have made some more great albums, instead of what happened.

Edit: correction of an embarassing spelling error

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-04 05:56 by Witness.

Date: September 3, 2014 21:54

StonesCat

Ladies and Gentlemen, exhibit one, Bridges To Babylon

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 3, 2014 22:40

I guess Steel Wheels, not that it was ever rated too higly by anyone. Following the almost break up and then reuniting of Jagger-Richards there was high expectations.

I think to some degree the 'Aftermath' album is overrated, as it is singled out being the first Stones album to have all Jagger-Richards songs. But not all of the songs on it are good and comparing it to other albums released within time period it is slightly inferior (Dylan's 'Highway 61' & 'Bringing it all back home,' Beatles 'Rubber Soul' and there are others that are at least equal to it).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-04 00:25 by nightskyman.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: September 3, 2014 23:42

StonesCat
Nah.. First album, Ya Yas, IORR, Goats, Black and Blue, Between the Buttons way up there

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 4, 2014 00:20

Silver Dagger
Witness
stonehearted

And that's exactly what makes it such an enduring and great listen. It does not give up its secrets too soon. I remember one year on and still not being able to fathom the whole album.

"It's overrated, to be honest."

--Mick Jagger

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 4, 2014 00:23

The Rolling Stones: England's Newest Hit Makers - ducking from the rotten veg being thrown this way

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 4, 2014 00:23

you might kill me, but I think YaYas is somehow overrated!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 4, 2014 01:05

some girls is the most overrated and its only rock and roll is the most underrated.

both very good albums but some girls gets far more credit.

the latter has

fingerprint file
if you cant rock me
its only rock and roll
luxury

some very good mid tempo rockers

and its got some good ballads in

if you really want to be my friend
time waits for no one
till the next time goodbye

chuck in short and curlies for good measure and we got a good album, although the production isnt top notch.

some girls has songs that are made out to be far better than they really are

beast of burden
some girls
miss you

most of the album is good but not far superior to its only rock and roll.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 4, 2014 01:17

Voodoo Lounge - the songwriting just wasn't up to par on that one, although the band sounded good and it was well-produced

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: September 4, 2014 01:30

Send It To me
Voodoo Lounge - the songwriting just wasn't up to par on that one, although the band sounded good and it was well-produced

From what I read on this board, I think it seems underrated. Undercover is highly praised and VL is hated. Or maybe I'm just touchy about it since I don't think Undercover is necessarily great and I love VL.

Also overrated (a.k.a. ones I don't listen to that much but others hold in high esteem):
Beggar's Banquet
Between the Buttons
Aftermath

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 4, 2014 02:22

From reading this site (rather than from the general public), I would say:

1. Undercover
2. Black & Blue
3. A Bigger Bang

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 4, 2014 02:53

THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST. Easy.

DIRTY WORK is overrated (here at least) but gets a pass due to its timeline in the history of the Stones - it doesn't matter. GHS has gained ground at iorr.org and based on people I know. SOME GIRLS is probably their second most overrated LP. Yeah it's good but it's... there's something about it that lacks. The production, on top of it, is too clean, brittle and flat. That of course does not mean it's a bad LP, it's a good LP, a solid good LP. Is it great? It's borderline - which is a good thing, of course.

EXILE does have filler on it but you can thank the Stones for that. Just Want To See His Face, Shake Your Hips and Sweet Black Angel are C-sides at best. There are other tracks that are not GREAT but are good. Perhaps it's overrated because there's so much on it. If it was a conventional LP it would be way stronger.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 4, 2014 03:06

Bridges, what a load...

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: September 4, 2014 04:32

Some Girls!!

No one really rates anything too much after Tattoo You - so they (eg. SW/DW etc)can't be overated IMHO.

GHS and B&B most underated.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 4, 2014 05:29

buttons67
some girls is the most overrated ...

It is by me, I suppose, but it's the album that got me into the Stones, and I played it so much, that I know every note by heart. For me, it remains right after the big 4, at #5!

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: September 4, 2014 07:30

I agree on this site Goats Head, but historically/critically, probably Between the Buttons. Even LSTNT is pretty weak, and a snoozer live to this day.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 4, 2014 10:29

As I remember I bought Lennons 'Somewhere in NY City', Reeds 'Transformer' Gilberg O'Sullivans 'Himself' and Stones 'Exile on main street' about at the same time and only listened to Stones and Lennon one or two times, but Transformer and Himself were spinning all the time so I say:

Exile on Main Street
eye popping smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: September 4, 2014 10:38

the obvious answer RARITIES

Date: September 4, 2014 10:46

GasLightStreet
THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST. Easy.

DIRTY WORK is overrated (here at least) but gets a pass due to its timeline in the history of the Stones - it doesn't matter. GHS has gained ground at iorr.org and based on people I know. SOME GIRLS is probably their second most overrated LP. Yeah it's good but it's... there's something about it that lacks. The production, on top of it, is too clean, brittle and flat. That of course does not mean it's a bad LP, it's a good LP, a solid good LP. Is it great? It's borderline - which is a good thing, of course.

EXILE does have filler on it but you can thank the Stones for that. Just Want To See His Face, Shake Your Hips and Sweet Black Angel are C-sides at best. There are other tracks that are not GREAT but are good. Perhaps it's overrated because there's so much on it. If it was a conventional LP it would be way stronger.

Wow! The two latter songs are my faves off Exile grinning smiley

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: September 4, 2014 11:22

LeonidP
buttons67
some girls is the most overrated ...

It is by me, I suppose, but it's the album that got me into the Stones, and I played it so much, that I know every note by heart. For me, it remains right after the big 4, at #5!

+1

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: September 4, 2014 11:23

Witness
stonehearted

Or might not...
It's important to remember that Exile was not a very well received album at the time. Not by fans and not by critics. And I think even the Stones liked to move on after that one. Mysteriously some years later it was rated higher by some critic and other critics joined and all of a sudden it was really fashionable to say it was their best album. The whole story about the recording locations played a significant role. It created a legend that wasn't felt when it was released. If that didn't happen I doubt that lots of people here would say it's such a good album. Lots of people still say that it's so good just because they think it's cool to say. Like you're an expert when you say it's their best thing... That's bs to me. When people were 14 while BB was released I believe them when they say that's their best and most important record. But when lots of people who were 14 when VL or BtB or SW was released keep saying Exile is their best I just think they are repeating what their prescription says.

Date: September 4, 2014 11:23

stonehearted
Silver Dagger
Witness
stonehearted

"It's overrated, to be honest."

--Mick Jagger

Yes - coming from a man who dared to release the appalling Let's Work. Come on, you know you should never hang on to the words of rock stars who'll say anything to gain column inches. Next year he'll probably revise his thoughts on the album.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1723
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home