Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 40
Re: "From The Vault" L.A. Forum – Live In 1975, Released: 17th November 2014
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 30, 2014 00:20

Only read the booklet so far, but it's kind of a drag they don't clear up any of the mystery of the videotape. There has to be a story behind it. Did they tape other nights of the tour, or was this night the only one?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 30, 2014 03:21

melillo
just watched my LA DVD last night it starts off like a pay per view IMO with some of those backstage shots very cool, quality is a major upgrade as far as I can tell from even the jointrip version, and I was also very pleased that we got the wasted keith version of happy it just blows away the boots

I have to quote you Melillo because I felt the same with the intro and quality. I've read that the first half is lackluster but thru Ain't to Proud haven't found that to be the case. There's a lot of great Keith, Mick is very good and I would have given my left n-t to have seen the Stones in '75.

Another revelation to me is If You Can't Rock Me. One of my favorite Stones rockers, watching and listening to it earlier today I heard Jagger sing a line more clear live than on the album. "I've Got One Heart And It Hurts Like Hell". What a great line, which was never driven home to me until watch this DVD. It's just a great line in a rocker that took me 39 years to realize, and it was worth the wait....lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-30 03:23 by Maindefender.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: November 30, 2014 08:41

I also like when Mick sings "I'm simply dying for some thrills and spills but if you...if you can't rock me..." while he rushes to Keith who has to move back !

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 30, 2014 15:22

jpasc95
I also like when Mick sings "I'm simply dying for some thrills and spills but if you...if you can't rock me..." while he rushes to Keith who has to move back !

smileys with beer

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: November 30, 2014 15:36

melillo
jpasc95

smileys with beer
let's drink to the hard working fans ! lol

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 30, 2014 18:17

So there's backstage scenes included?eye popping smiley

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 30, 2014 18:35

some short quick shots but still cool which I don't remember seeing on the boots but I could be wrong

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 30, 2014 18:59

Ward records in Japan have a special edition that also includes the DVD soundtrack on CD.
[wardrecords.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 30, 2014 20:03

O M F G. I'm down on my knees. This is t h e b e s t E V E R!!!! You can almost smell the smoke, taste the drugs through the thick make up. I mean is this good or what? Thank you, thank you, thank you. I love it.

And yes Tumblin Dice... is GREAT on this one!!! What the f-k, is this the best version ever?? Taylor yes, but this one has the drums.

And Happy... I l o v e it.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: November 30, 2014 20:27

75 was my 1st Stones show.
It rocker like no one else could

Love the cd. Play it LOUD.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 30, 2014 20:28

Redhotcarpet
Taylor yes, but this one has the drums.

I think this release finally get me to see the difference in its whole glory the band of 1975 had for 1973 version. This one has the drums indeed. The turn to rhythm is not much to do with Wood, who is still filling basically Taylor's shoes, but it is the whole effort of the band, emphasizied by Mr. Brown. This offered Ronnie quite a comfortable room to do his thing. 1975(/76) incarnation really had an unique sound; they would never be so funky and sexy again. I have tend to think that it was 'merely' a decadent and sloppy version of the early 70's band, but it is much more; it really has a character of its own. They were up to something novel, which, however, was gone in 1978 when they wanted to be a raw straight-forward ('punkish') rock and roll band.

Another thing to notice is that how much the visuals mean to this band. No matter how much it is wonderful to just listen the bootlegs etc. to really get the Stones in their whole glory - what their concerts really are like - you got to see them as well. So a release like this adds damn much to our experience to 'get' the Stones in their prime. Especially for us who who weren't there at the time.

An important release.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-30 20:31 by Doxa.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 30, 2014 21:27

I saw them in 76 in Dortmund, Westfalenhalle. It is almost 40 years since then. I remember the sound and the perfect guitar play especially by Ronnie. Straight in your face guitars and an inspired band. It is featured truly here on DVD for the American leg of the tour I think. The vocals were better by far in Dortmund than in TOTA - as it was the case in Paris few days later. Rough, as I like it, but more controlled. Still I have in my ears fantastic versions of You Gotta Move, Hand of Fate, YCAGWYW, Midnight Rambler. The set list was a little bit different. Particularly the versions of Hey Negrita and Hand of Fate are worth to be released on another Vault edition. Hey Negrita is a lesson (but the higher mysteries) to all guitarists how to play solo and rhythm at once. Why not the complete Paris concert that was recorded for a TV program?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-30 21:31 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: December 1, 2014 01:38

Redhotcarpet
O M F G. I'm down on my knees. This is t h e b e s t E V E R!!!! You can almost smell the smoke, taste the drugs through the thick make up. I mean is this good or what? Thank you, thank you, thank you. I love it.

And yes Tumblin Dice... is GREAT on this one!!! What the f-k, is this the best version ever?? Taylor yes, but this one has the drums.

And Happy... I l o v e it.

thumbs up

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: December 1, 2014 02:11

I'm at Heartbreaker, cool to see Keith count it out to the band to start it off. Awesome YCAGWYW in the middle of the show no less!!

Poor Bill...
Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: November 30, 2014 23:22

From the Vault LA 1975 showed up on my doorstep this morning. (Gotta love the USPS's new Sunday delivery)

I'm enjoying watching it for the first time and I can't help but feel sorry for Bill. He has virtually zero face time on camera. Including the band intro, I don't think he received more that 30 seconds total on camera time the whole film.

The bass line in Fingerprint File is flat out amazing. Funk level rivaling anything I've heard Daryl Jones do with or without the Stones. (Don't get me wrong, I love Daryl too.) It's a shame that while he was riffing on that number they couldn't give him ANY camera time, let alone a close up or fret board shot.

Re: Poor Bill...
Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: November 30, 2014 23:26

That's Ronnie on bass on FP.
Bill was playing synth.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 1, 2014 00:23

The good news is that Bill is happy with the music he's playing these days on his own terms. We're the losers. His funkiness is sorely missed at Stones gigs. Darryl is a fine bass player but he does not bring what Bill did to the Stones.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 1, 2014 00:25

stonesrule
The good news is that Bill is happy with the music he's playing these days on his own terms. We're the losers. His funkiness is sorely missed at Stones gigs. Darryl is a fine bass player but he does not bring what Bill did to the Stones.

+ 1

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 1, 2014 00:59

Ronnie is a fine bass player, too.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 1, 2014 01:18

71Tele
stonesrule

+ 1
+1 makes 2

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: December 1, 2014 01:30

NICOS
71Tele
stonesrule

+ 1
+1 makes 2

thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 1, 2014 01:36

BowieStone
That's Ronnie on bass on FP.
Bill was playing synth.

as we said, poor bill.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 1, 2014 01:53

odean73
NICOS
71Tele
stonesrule

+ 1
+1 makes 2

thumbs up

That's 3 points

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 1, 2014 03:57

He's loud and clear on the vinyl version of LA Forum!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 1, 2014 03:58

well for a guy playing pop covers in a dance band he came out pretty well. I doubt he was ever happy in the Stones.. he settled into it as a job. The cool thing turned out to be how right he was playing with them. Seems he has nothing but resentment for them now.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 1, 2014 04:17

Actually, I don't believe Bill has "nothing but resentment" for the Stones now.
He simply accepts them as they are. From time to time they are still in touch.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 1, 2014 04:24

stonesrule

I think the relationship is complicated, I'm certain he's proud of having been in the band and what they achieved. I think based on his behaviour, there is some resentment as well.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 1, 2014 05:39

treaclefingers
stonesrule

I think the relationship is complicated, I'm certain he's proud of having been in the band and what they achieved. I think based on his behaviour, there is some resentment as well.

I agree that Bill is likely far from "nothing but resentment" for the Stones. If there is any resentment it's probably that they didn't get it together in terms of lifestyle and personality issues till long after he had had enough and called it quits. I think he would be happy to be asked to join the Stones again and if he didn't have his travel paranoia, would do so in a minute.

And besides being proud of his achievments with them, he's probably proud of his old bandmates with their current success and good health. I'd go so far as to say that he thinks he would probably fit pretty well on stage with them these days since they have finally "grown up". Besides he already knows all the songs they are playing! peace

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 1, 2014 06:14

Regardless of personal relationships with the band, on the professional level he did nonetheless express frustration and disappointment in a UK television interview (with BBC Breakfast on March 27, 2013) shortly after falling out with the 50 & Counting Tour citing the two song limit. He was disappointed, as he thought he would be given more to do, and he likened the experience to "school reunions, old girlfriends reunited, it doesn't work." If you are using that analogy to describe your old band mates, then it would seem there are complications indeed.

"It's very difficult to go back... and relive something."

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 1, 2014 06:45

Yeah but I bet his story would have been much different if he had been asked to do more songs and the entire upcoming tours with them....he'd have jumped on that pretty quickly is my opinion. And probably saying things like "it's as if I never left" and "we just have a magic chemistry that's inherent when we play together"...something I would have been delighted to witness.

He can talk about his books, architecture and Rhythm Kings till he turns blue but most people couldn't care less about anything but his time as a Rolling Stone. Poor Bill.....smiling smiley peace

Not sure why this thread got moved to the LA Forum release thread? confused smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-01 09:21 by Naturalust.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1703
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home