Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: What's the Most Underrated Stones Album?
Date: September 5, 2014 12:45

GasLightStreet
UNDERCOVER
BLACK AND BLUE

Did I already say that?

A good thing (or two) can't be repeated too often...

Date: September 5, 2014 12:45

sonomastone
The Brian Jones-era Stones were superb and I would say most of the albums from that era are underrated by modern day Stones fans.

+1

Posted by: JK62 ()
Date: September 5, 2014 13:07

GHS
B&B

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 5, 2014 16:05

GOATS HEAD SOUP is probably their number one underrated LP, followed by BLACK AND BLUE, UNDERCOVER and IORR.

Or perhaps I have a place in my heart for those mid 1970s LPs...

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: September 5, 2014 21:29

Satanic Majesties' Request is distinctly underrated.
Citadel, The Lantern and 2000 Light Years From Home...WOW

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 5, 2014 22:31

GasLightStreet
GOATS HEAD SOUP is probably their number one underrated LP, followed by BLACK AND BLUE, UNDERCOVER and IORR.

Or perhaps I have a place in my heart for those mid 1970s LPs...

Based on the evidence presented, I'd go for the latter assertion.

Posted by: Sister Marie ()
Date: September 5, 2014 23:04

DandelionPowderman
sonomastone
The Brian Jones-era Stones were superb and I would say most of the albums from that era are underrated by modern day Stones fans.

+1

+1

Between The Buttons and Their Satanic Majesties are underrated (I think. Anyway I love these albums).

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 5, 2014 23:19

Voodoo Lounge - Emotional Rescue

everything's turning to gold

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: September 6, 2014 15:05

goats head soup, their satanic...

Date: September 6, 2014 16:34

treaclefingers
Palace Revolution 2000
It's obvious; this 4 page thread does not mention ONE album before 70's. there are about 8-9 classic Stonesalbums that are ignored and not even rated at all. I think this is my new mission.

and yet, you don't mention one of them...need to get some focus!

See my post on Page 1. ...Need to get some glasses.winking smiley

But I would agree otherwise; it's useless to post, and complain about something, without offering anything positive, or alternate yourself.
I've been with this board since 90's, and IMO it's obviously the best one around, but I've never understood why the pre-69 Stones get so little aknoledgement.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 6, 2014 17:01

Palace Revolution 2000
treaclefingers
Palace Revolution 2000
It's obvious; this 4 page thread does not mention ONE album before 70's. there are about 8-9 classic Stonesalbums that are ignored and not even rated at all. I think this is my new mission.

But I would agree otherwise; it's useless to post, and complain about something, without offering anything positive, or alternate yourself.
I've been with this board since 90's, and IMO it's obviously the best one around, but I've never understood why the pre-69 Stones get so little aknoledgement.

They would be one of the two greatest music acts of all time with all the material they released just up to 1967, so you're point is completely valid imho.

I believe that somewhere along the way in the sixties rock music became 'modern' sounding, so much so that even songs recorded 45 years ago don't sound 'dated' today.

In the Stones case, compare Let's Spend The Night Together and Sympathy For The Devil.

A year apart, but to my ears LSTNT sounds retro, but not so SFTD.

Once this newer modern more sophisticated sound is established, there is no going back.

I think why we focus more on the post 68 material is not necessarily because it is better, but because it doesn't sound dated.

I think the same can be said for most bands that came through the early-mid sixties, the Beatles, the Who and the Kinks being obvious examples.

Date: September 7, 2014 01:07

treaclefingers
Palace Revolution 2000
treaclefingers
Palace Revolution 2000

They would be one of the two greatest music acts of all time with all the material they released just up to 1967, so you're point is completely valid imho.

I believe that somewhere along the way in the sixties rock music became 'modern' sounding, so much so that even songs recorded 45 years ago don't sound 'dated' today.

In the Stones case, compare Let's Spend The Night Together and Sympathy For The Devil.

A year apart, but to my ears LSTNT sounds retro, but not so SFTD.

Once this newer modern more sophisticated sound is established, there is no going back.

I think why we focus more on the post 68 material is not necessarily because it is better, but because it doesn't sound dated.

I think the same can be said for most bands that came through the early-mid sixties, the Beatles, the Who and the Kinks being obvious examples.

Excellent analysis. That is very true; and the example you use really undelines that. LSTNT and SFTD are worlds apart. You mentioned the sound, and probably recording techniques, but it must also be in the lyrics. Vietnam and Altamont (what it stands for), Dylan, RFK and MLK must have to do with that.

Date: September 8, 2014 22:21

I'm listening to the NS vinyl now, and is blown away by both the sound and the songs. Must be high up on the underrated-list, as I haven't seen much love for this album anywhere (save Treacle)...

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 8, 2014 23:10

DandelionPowderman
I'm listening to the NS vinyl now

What is NS?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 9, 2014 00:50

What is NS?

[www.facebook.com]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 9, 2014 01:01

My Initials..........

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2412
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home