Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: Track Talk: Slave
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 10, 2019 06:17

GasLightStreet
GivenToFly15
That clip is actually two different tracks (rather badly) merged into one.

The sound changes but it's the same take.

Sounds like another track/part patched in to me as well. No idea if it's from another take or if it's just another part of the same take, always sounded like two different takes to me. There are also two versions of the sax solo, I believe. But what do I know, they forgot to ask me to join them in the studio ... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 10, 2019 06:20

Not two takes, but the original version is an edit of the longer sax solo. You recognise the cuts when you hear the Virgin version.

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: August 10, 2019 16:38

I’m sorry but it is not as simple as that. I really don’t think the YouTube clip is anything but a fan-made paste. A while ago i tracked all bootlegged versions of « Slave » and i actually found both versions on two different boots. Nothing indicates they both belong together - until it’s proven.

Date: August 10, 2019 16:52

GivenToFly15
I’m sorry but it is not as simple as that. I really don’t think the YouTube clip is anything but a fan-made paste. A while ago i tracked all bootlegged versions of « Slave » and i actually found both versions on two different boots. Nothing indicates they both belong together - until it’s proven.

Did you find two versions with Keith and Ronnie?

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: August 10, 2019 20:00

We’re talking about the YouTube clip, here. At least I am.

The clip begins with instruments only until 1:24. Then the sound changes for the first Mick vocals. Then at 06:48 there’s a fade out-fade in between what is clearly two tracks. Also I could swear a segment is actually repeated twice in the clip (I don’t have time to confirm it however).

So I think it’s fair to say that nothing proves this stuff comes from the « same take » - far from it actually, especially with the numerous versions that were recorded/remixed or the amount of overdubs. I’m waiting for a proof, until then I don’t trust YouTube clips that come from nowhere with bad mixing... Sorry.

I could mix two versions of « Fancy Man Blues » together (oh wait, i did it for my own listening pleasure!) and pretend it’s one long take. That would not be true just because i say it.

Date: August 10, 2019 20:27

GivenToFly15
We’re talking about the YouTube clip, here. At least I am.

The clip begins with instruments only until 1:24. Then the sound changes for the first Mick vocals. Then at 06:48 there’s a fade out-fade in between what is clearly two tracks. Also I could swear a segment is actually repeated twice in the clip (I don’t have time to confirm it however).

So I think it’s fair to say that nothing proves this stuff comes from the « same take » - far from it actually, especially with the numerous versions that were recorded/remixed or the amount of overdubs. I’m waiting for a proof, until then I don’t trust YouTube clips that come from nowhere with bad mixing... Sorry.

I could mix two versions of « Fancy Man Blues » together (oh wait, i did it for my own listening pleasure!) and pretend it’s one long take. That would not be true just because i say it.

Ah, ok. I was thinking of the version Liveathidepark posted on page 6 smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 10, 2019 23:27

Palace Revolution 2000
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
I thought Townshend was on the studio version. It was reported at the time when TY cane out, if memory serves?

Only backing vocals, though.

That is correct... if he's even in the mix!

Brilliant song, really. There is no room for improvement. It's one of those songs they did that turned out to be great just because of what they did. Clearly it's a playing song - the riffage, the beat, the rhythm, the sax - one of those songs that, like Fingerprint File or Winter or If You Really Want To Be My Friend or Can You Hear The Music... it works not only because it's not THE hit single or typical blues etc but that it's them playing.

It's easy to say "They wouldn't've come up with that in 1982 for UNDERCOVER or on and on and on... even for the new supposed album - the people that find it boring are probably more greatest hits/warhorses types - they can't fathom the talent that made Slave what it is: a brilliant display of rhythm and, really, very dark lyrics.

Would it have fit BLACK AND BLUE? Sure. But it wouldn't be like it was when it was worked on further more in 1980 and 81.

Damn, that's some deep sh*t; excellent post.

yup!
thumbs up

Date: August 10, 2019 23:28

Palace Revolution 2000
treaclefingers
Palace Revolution 2000
treaclefingers
Stoneage
treaclefingers
ba-dump
ba-dump
ba-ba-pa-ba-pa
bada-bump
ba-dump

Isn't it more like:

Bap-da-bap
Da-ba-da-ba-da-ba-da
bap-da-bap
da-ba-da/ da-ba-da

no...you're wrong

Right there with the ba dap hits, but the last line goes more like
"Doi -dee, doi-dee"

Doi-dee?!

We're talking Rolling Stones in this thread, not Beatles.

This ain't no O Bla Di O Bla Da!

LOL you know that twanging bent guitar riff that they do twice descneding after the main thing. btw much power to the Fab4, but they never did master a good doi-dee bend.

thank you for clarifying...I thought the doi dee was a lyric!

Carry on!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 11, 2019 09:28

GivenToFly15
I could swear a segment is actually repeated twice in the clip (I don’t have time to confirm it however).

One of Rskinno's "mighty" reworks?

slave long song
Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: April 16, 2024 23:04

Where Can i find the best and clean version of Slave long version 12''
Thanks

I find this one

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-17 00:04 by 5strings.

Re: slave long song
Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: April 17, 2024 00:24

There is no 12” of Slave. There was an extended version released on the Virgin remaster/reissue of Tattoo You in the 90s. Not sure if that is the ‘stock’ version used for streaming services or not.

Any other longer version of Slave is an outtake/bootleg.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 17, 2024 07:27

YouTube

Date: April 17, 2024 16:16

5strings
Thanks

I find this one

[youtu.be]

Why in the hell is this so awesome? It's not even really a song, it's just a jam!

And more importantly, why, not once, have they played this live...just as an experiment even? What a load of fun that would be onstage.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 17, 2024 16:55

treaclefingers
5strings
Thanks

I find this one

[youtu.be]

Why in the hell is this so awesome? It's not even really a song, it's just a jam!

And more importantly, why, not once, have they played this live...just as an experiment even? What a load of fun that would be onstage.

Not performing Slave during one, or some, of the Licks Tour theatre shows was a missed opportunity, in my opinion.; especially considering - as Four Flicks proved - they rehearsed it in the studio. Perhaps it was solely for the cameras, but it would've been a great addition to the Euro Leg of the tour, as, for me, the theatre set-lists there were a little stale and less interesting than those from earlier on in the tour, in the U.S.A.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: April 17, 2024 17:04

Big Al
treaclefingers
5strings
Thanks

I find this one

[youtu.be]

Not performing Slave during one, or some, of the Licks Tour theatre shows was a missed opportunity, in my opinion.; especially considering - as Four Flicks proved - they rehearsed it in the studio. Perhaps it was solely for the cameras, but it would've been a great addition to the Euro Leg of the tour, as, for me, the theatre set-lists there were a little stale and less interesting than those from earlier on in the tour, in the U.S.A.

Not a song maybe, but what a great masterpiece of music!! smiling bouncing smileysmiling smileysmoking smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: April 17, 2024 18:38

CD The Pain Of Love, DAC-107

Date: April 17, 2024 18:44

Christiaan
Big Al
treaclefingers
5strings
Thanks

I find this one

[youtu.be]

Not a song maybe, but what a great masterpiece of music!! smiling bouncing smileysmiling smileysmoking smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

A "middle-aged" peak if you will. Though was this one of the ones from 1973? I don't remember.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: April 17, 2024 19:39

treaclefingers
Christiaan
Big Al
treaclefingers
5strings
Thanks

I find this one

[youtu.be]

A "middle-aged" peak if you will. Though was this one of the ones from 1973? I don't remember.

If I’m not wrong it was 1975/1976

Re: Slave long song
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 17, 2024 21:58

treaclefingers

In a way it is but the finished TY version displays another side of the band's talent : the ability to take a raw blueprint of a song, excise all the weak parts, keeping all the good bits, and slap on it a tremendous sax solo 6 years after the original take was recorded and keeping it organic.
If you listen to the successive versions of the songs from 80 and 81 (courtesy of the Art Collins archives) you notice how the band (or Jagger?) tried this vocal track, this Sonny Rollins solo until everything was just perfect.

Re: Slave long song
Date: April 18, 2024 08:26

dcba
treaclefingers

In a way it is but the finished TY version displays another side of the band's talent : the ability to take a raw blueprint of a song, excise all the weak parts, keeping all the good bits, and slap on it a tremendous sax solo 6 years after the original take was recorded and keeping it organic.
If you listen to the successive versions of the songs from 80 and 81 (courtesy of the Art Collins archives) you notice how the band (or Jagger?) tried this vocal track, this Sonny Rollins solo until everything was just perfect.

I've said this many times before. They are the ultimate performance band, insofar as they can even take a song that is relatively mundane and through shear willpower (read performance) make it iconic.

Case in point, She's So Cold. A fabulous Stones song to be sure, but not a great song per se. Could anyone else ever do it justice?

They can barely perform it well themselves onstage, but the record is absolutely sublime.

Date: April 18, 2024 10:41

Slave is one of the best songs ever. So sad they didn't go for it in 2002/2003

But Slave got a son born in 2023 named Get Close and although not as cool as his dad maybe we will hear this one soon.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: April 18, 2024 12:00

5strings
Thanks

I find this one

[youtu.be]

Mick's voice here just incredible, so fresh and mesmerising, honestly at this period Mick could sing nursery rhymes and I'd pay to listen.
You can't sing like this unless your soul is in it.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 18, 2024 12:36

A lot of fans praise Slave, but despise Suck on the jugular. I can not see the reason.
In my humble opinion Suck on the jugular is also an interesting jam, based on Charlies
groove.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 18, 2024 12:53

Yep interesting but it dont have
that the low-geared sleaze of Slave ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 18, 2024 13:24

Maybe here: [iorr.org] ?

Date: April 18, 2024 13:51

The Slave version with Ronnie is interesting.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 19, 2024 05:06

marcovandereijk
A lot of fans praise Slave, but despise Suck on the jugular. I can not see the reason.
In my humble opinion Suck on the jugular is also an interesting jam, based on Charlies
groove.

To me, Slave is great, Suck on the Jugular is at best average. Slave just has that groove that Suck doesn't come close to.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 20, 2024 07:21

5strings
Thanks

I find this one

[youtu.be]

Haven't heard that one in a while. They certainly faded it out at the right time.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 20, 2024 10:57

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Slave is one of the best songs ever. So sad they didn't go for it in 2002/2003

But Slave got a son born in 2023 named Get Close and although not as cool as his dad maybe we will hear this one soon.

Sadly it seems to be the only song (apart from RS Blues) not to have been rehearsed in LA.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 20, 2024 13:27

5strings
Thanks

I find this one

[youtu.be]

Funnily, listening Jagger, this sounds like made for EMOTIONAL RESCUE. You know, that loose, half-drunken delivery typical to many tracks there. For TATTOO YOU he sharpened up, probably cut the booze, and discovered a new, more focused way of singing.

But damn that backing track is a helluva piece of music. Really 'kids don't try this at home' stuff. The funkish blues groove with probably the most balls-full riff ever put on tape. I recall the days when I as a young kid listening to it and was totally stunned. It was like a revelation: fvck, forget all flashy solos or whatever, this is what guitar playing is all about. From that moment on, I was assured that Keith Richards is the biggest rock and roll guitarist alive. And there was no one even close.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-20 13:32 by Doxa.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1570
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home