Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Slave question
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 9, 2019 08:00

Rocky Dijon
DandelionPowderman
Shooting down good, long-time posters in every post won't do you no good. Join the community and contribute, instead of fighting it.

Just a friendly tip.

If you stop taking GasLight to heart, you'll find he's every bit as much fun as treaclefingers. You'll never make it to the heavyweights with lem or stan if you can't learn to laugh with folks here and not take reactions so seriously. All of these guys are smart, funny, knowledgeable, and opinionated. Stand your ground, but have good humor and everyone will loosen up with you. I say this as someone who embarrassed themselves with more than a few temper tantrums in the past. It's a good place and there's room for everyone in the family.

And yes, I still miss Revvy.

As much fun and annoyance that HMS is, as well as his past identity as O'Lantern etc (and whatever happened to Mickscarey's DONE DEAL charade?), Harlem Shuffle is a burr on - and in - the saddle of iorr.org: constant constant constant negativity, ignorance and assholity.

I'm all for fun... but not if someone is a cock.

There is a lot to learn here about the Stones - it's all the books ever published, all the interviews ever interviewed - in one place. Shit attitudes are like bad songs and bad albums - they just don't play.

Re: Track Talk: Slave
Date: August 9, 2019 08:22

treaclefingers
Palace Revolution 2000
treaclefingers
Stoneage
treaclefingers
ba-dump
ba-dump
ba-ba-pa-ba-pa
bada-bump
ba-dump

Isn't it more like:

Bap-da-bap
Da-ba-da-ba-da-ba-da
bap-da-bap
da-ba-da/ da-ba-da

no...you're wrong

Right there with the ba dap hits, but the last line goes more like
"Doi -dee, doi-dee"

Doi-dee?!

We're talking Rolling Stones in this thread, not Beatles.

This ain't no O Bla Di O Bla Da!

LOL you know that twanging bent guitar riff that they do twice descneding after the main thing. btw much power to the Fab4, but they never did master a good doi-dee bend.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 9, 2019 09:34

Is the version with Pete Townshend going around? I'd love to hear that.

Date: August 9, 2019 10:13

I thought Townshend was on the studio version. It was reported at the time when TY cane out, if memory serves?

Only backing vocals, though.

Date: August 9, 2019 10:26

DandelionPowderman
I thought Townshend was on the studio version. It was reported at the time when TY cane out, if memory serves?

That is correct... if he's even in the mix!

Brilliant song, really. There is no room for improvement. It's one of those songs they did that turned out to be great just because of what they did. Clearly it's a playing song - the riffage, the beat, the rhythm, the sax - one of those songs that, like Fingerprint File or Winter or If You Really Want To Be My Friend or Can You Hear The Music... it works not only because it's not THE hit single or typical blues etc but that it's them playing.

It's easy to say "They wouldn't've come up with that in 1982 for UNDERCOVER or on and on and on... even for the new supposed album - the people that find it boring are probably more greatest hits/warhorses types - they can't fathom the talent that made Slave what it is: a brilliant display of rhythm and, really, very dark lyrics.

Would it have fit BLACK AND BLUE? Sure. But it wouldn't be like it was when it was worked on further more in 1980 and 81.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 9, 2019 10:36

DandelionPowderman

Aha! They reworked wont get fooled again. I f-ing knew it. smiling smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 9, 2019 10:40

Slave is a great filler. One of their best and well-suited fillers. This is an example of how a filler can improve a great album. Had it been on ER it wouldnt have sounded as good. Then it wouldve been a desperate attempt to push in some old jam.

Date: August 9, 2019 11:01

Redhotcarpet
Slave is a great filler. One of their best and well-suited fillers. This is an example of how a filler can improve a great album. Had it been on ER it wouldnt have sounded as good. Then it wouldve been a desperate attempt to push in some old jam.

It's not filler. It's the band stretching, playing, being a rhythm machine.

There may be a number of filler tracks over the years but Slave is not one of them. It's brilliant.

Date: August 9, 2019 11:40

harlem shuffle
Are you asking me treaclefingers?Well i have all original Stonesalbums,some compilations,some soloalbums,Keith,Ron,Mick.Some singles,some ep,s.Lots of bootlegs,lots of live dvd,s+ t-shirts other Stones stuff.So what do you wanna now?

Probably why you're such a negative black hole.

It's one thing to go on about how an album sucks, like DIRTY WORK, it's another to just be an @#$%& in general. You fit the latter. You need to either lighten up or go away - there's room here for banter but you don't come close to that. You're just a wart.

So figure it out. And if you need to say "oh the mighty GasLight told me blah blah blah" then go ahead, be a Brenda. Don't think I'm the only one that notices.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: August 9, 2019 12:38

I really dont care what you say about me Mr gas light street.I always want to give my opinion about music and other difficulties some here have especially about Jagger.So If this is not allowed,then i will go away faster Than the speed of light.I understand much more now,it,s only some persons opinion who is allowed here.So just continiue with you,re shit talking about Brenda you childish fool

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 9, 2019 13:17

Good, Harlem Shuffle. You stood your ground. Now, let it rest. Please.

Date: August 9, 2019 13:20

harlem shuffle
I really dont care what you say about me Mr gas light street.I always want to give my opinion about music and other difficulties some here have especially about Jagger.So If this is not allowed,then i will go away faster Than the speed of light.I understand much more now,it,s only some persons opinion who is allowed here.So just continiue with you,re shit talking about Brenda you childish fool

Wanna give your opinion on the matter? Why don't you start with why you don't find Slave a good song, then?

Saying that other people's posts are crap is not giving your opinion, though...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 9, 2019 13:37

To be fair to Harlem Shuffle though I think he was provoked a bit, Dandy. I think the best thing would be to let this thing rest before it goes any further. It's trifles, really.

Date: August 9, 2019 13:44

Stoneage
To be fair to Harlem Shuffle though I think he was provoked a bit, Dandy. I think the best thing would be to let this thing rest before it goes any further. It's trifles, really.

I'm just encouraging him to a civil discussion about the topics at hand, with all the best intentions - honestly!

Date: August 9, 2019 14:35

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

That is correct... if he's even in the mix!

Brilliant song, really. There is no room for improvement. It's one of those songs they did that turned out to be great just because of what they did. Clearly it's a playing song - the riffage, the beat, the rhythm, the sax - one of those songs that, like Fingerprint File or Winter or If You Really Want To Be My Friend or Can You Hear The Music... it works not only because it's not THE hit single or typical blues etc but that it's them playing.

It's easy to say "They wouldn't've come up with that in 1982 for UNDERCOVER or on and on and on... even for the new supposed album - the people that find it boring are probably more greatest hits/warhorses types - they can't fathom the talent that made Slave what it is: a brilliant display of rhythm and, really, very dark lyrics.

Would it have fit BLACK AND BLUE? Sure. But it wouldn't be like it was when it was worked on further more in 1980 and 81.

Damn, that's some deep sh*t; excellent post.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 9, 2019 14:49

Yep, In other words It's a fantastic example of what I always say is my favourite thing about the Stones.

I don't get upset about set lists because I don't really care that much about what the play ...

...I just love the noise they make when they play it.

The licks, the fills, the guitar sounds, Micks phrasing ,the unique timing and syncopation, the attitude and the dynamics.

That's the Rolling Stones .

...and that's why they are able to cover so many genres with convincing authenticity and yet still sound instantly recognisable as themselves
[even before Mick starts singimg]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-09 14:57 by Spud.

Date: August 9, 2019 14:57

Spud
Yep, In other words It's a fantastic example of what I always say is my favourite thing about the Stones.

I don't get upset about set lists because I don't really care that much about what the play ...

...I just love the noise they make when they play it.

The licks, the fills, the guitar sounds, Micks phrasing ,the unique timing and syncopation, the attitude and the dynamics.

That's the Rolling Stones .

Excellent!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: August 9, 2019 15:33

GasLightStreet
Brilliant song, really. There is no room for improvement.

Brilliant: definitely yes. No room for improvement: maybe there is. I always wish the jam in the end wouldn't fade out but go on a little longer. I certainly don't know all the bootleg versions and I don't know how many takes they actually did of the song. I'm pretty sure what can be heard of the jam in the released versions is pieced together from several takes but I don't know if there's even more jam stuff in the vaults that would have fit in. On the outtakes that I have heard, not all sections of the jam part are similarly great so maybe they used the best parts anyway and there isn't really more they could have added. That's where the "maybe" comes in.

To me, Slave always had the feel of a kind of crossbreed of Honky Tonk Women and Can't You Hear Me Knocking, and what would CYHMK be without the extended jam in the end. I'm happy with what's there, but I wouldn't mind a bit more of it ... winking smiley

Date: August 9, 2019 16:15

It's one long jam, in one take, as far as I know.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: August 9, 2019 16:27

That clip is actually two different tracks (rather badly) merged into one.

Date: August 9, 2019 16:41

GivenToFly15

LOL, seems like I posted the wrong clip, then. Can't listen where I'm at now smiling smiley

Date: August 9, 2019 17:40

harlem shuffle

Your opinion is always negative. You're not a fan, you're a haggart. Continue my shit talking about Brenda? HA HA! You don't know who Brenda is. Obviously.

Brilliant.

Date: August 9, 2019 18:08

GivenToFly15

The sound changes but it's the same take.

Date: August 9, 2019 18:10

Same track Dande posted but from a different source:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: August 9, 2019 19:14

My favourite song from side 1.

Date: August 9, 2019 19:15

Anyone who has the version with Ronnie and Keith? I have it at the office, but haven't been there since April when I got sick...

Would have been fun hearing it again.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: August 9, 2019 19:35

Their ultimate best modern day guitar sound ever! What a mix, every instrument is easy to hear (or follow). This is what the Stones are all about!

I'd love the Stones would give this much effort to their (guitar)sound again!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 9, 2019 19:38

Great Great Song!!

Joke:

Why did the Slave go to College?

He wanted to get his Master's Degree spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: August 9, 2019 19:51

DandelionPowderman
Anyone who has the version with Ronnie and Keith? I have it at the office, but haven't been there since April when I got sick...

Not from bootleg vinyl or CD. From an old cassette with some additional EQ.

[we.tl]

Date: August 9, 2019 21:39

LiveAtHidepark
DandelionPowderman

Not from bootleg vinyl or CD. From an old cassette with some additional EQ.

[we.tl]

Thanks! thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home